• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Nintendo this generation is going nutty; they have been pulling off huge ideas that seem out of left field. I think they are going to have a winner with the 3d ds, first they go after the videogame market, then the entertainment market at large. They have some bravado.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Burai said:
It was, but the Phat looked like it was made by Tiger Electronics. I half expected it to be backward compatible with R-Zone and Game.com games.

DSi=DSiXL=DSlite>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPrototype>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DSPhat
I think the phat looked pretty bad too. I know the only reason I excused it was because it was already an unconventional idea.

No excuses this time, I hope.

Mock-up attempt #2

3DS_mockup2_ryancooper2010.jpg

Deku

Banned
erlim said:
Nintendo this generation is going nutty; they have been pulling off huge ideas that seem out of left field. I think they are going to have a winner with the 3d ds, first they go after the videogame market, then the entertainment market at large. They have some bravado.

A lot of people expected Sony to go 3D and Microsoft to go 3D. It's probably a surprise that Nintendo is doing it first, without the glasses.

Granted I think a silent majority is still unsure about what this entails and whether it will just be gimmicky (i suspect many games will use 3-D about as well as the DS touch screens) but it's there, and if all it means is floating GUI and radar, then its floating GUI and radar.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AlternativeUlster said:
Does anyone else think that the new Wii will actually not need a TV and use 3D projections now if the 3DS is a success?
Crazy and unfeasible as it may be, I'd been thinking the same thing, especially with how the DS and Wii were linked in design philosophy.

And, there's Miyamoto's 2005 response to the question "In the future, what do you think video games will be like?"...
Shigeru Miyamoto said:

Ten-Song

MisterHero said:
:lol :lol :lol

Kotaku: "Yoshi Touch and Go 3DS CONFIRMED"

No, no no, more like this...

Kotaku: current hardware can replicate 3DS technology by shaking a GIF back and forth, why does Nintendo need another DS iteration?

I dont know if this has been discussed but I was thinking about how something like this could be possible, and thought about transparent LCD displays.

semi-transparent-lcd.jpg

Now I believe but may be wrong that LCDs are transparent untill current is passed through the screen making them opaque. (a source for this)

So if Nintendo had 3 or 4 layered LCD screens that can have images on them while leaving areas transparent this could create a real illusion of depth. It would also have the benefit of not requiring to be constantly moved to appear 3D. Cost may be a factor however.

Obviously an object would be on one layer however and would not have any depth itself, but this could also be simulated with the motion sensor in the device. I could imagin this working really well in a Monkey ball style game, tilting the platform from above.

Thoughts?

Linkzg said:
Dunno but that was one of the hot rumors before yesterday, as in, multiple sources kept bringing up that the gap would be much smaller.
Which sources? I have yet to see confirmed news about a smaller gap between screens.

Shots fired!

Has that been posted?

Sony’s John Koller claims that the Nintendo DS is primarily used by young children and therefore its successor, the Nintendo 3DS with its built in 3D capability’s, just won’t appeal to them.

“I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable. Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it’s an interesting move but one I’d like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year-olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.”

- Sony’s Director of Hardware and Marketing, John Koller

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
HAL_Laboratory said:
Mock-up attempt #2

3DS_mockup2_ryancooper2010.jpg

The three hinges are at 2 different levels. That isn't possible to close, unless it's got a lot weird impractical and pointless other pieces.

chixdiggit

I predict the new 3DS will turn out like Wii motion plus, Wii Balance Board, DSi, Power Pad, Super Scope 6, R.O.B., Virtual Boy, E-Reader, Nintendo 64 VRU, Etc, Etc. Meaning another Nintendo product that gets very little support.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Shots fired!

Has that been posted?

I think like 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 pages ago :p jk. I think Sony will have the PSP2 with the capability to run 3D (probably through the software, (hardware could be present?) itself I guess), and then if it takes off like the 3DS, then they will enable it in a future update. Oh well thats my guess

as for a d-pad that can become an analog stick, it would be interesting if they looked at the dinovo mini method. That's more a 5 way d-pad that becomes a small thumb touch pad, but if they have a dip and leave it textured, I don't see why they couldn't just have a "touch" based analog stick. The reason it didn't really work on the DS or iPhone is because you didn't know where the borders were or the relative range; you had to build that muscle memory for each game you played.

This is what it looks like:

11lonxt.jpg

In the top picture it is in the mode where you can click in in the four directions or press it down. In the bottom picture it becomes a touch pad like you'd find on a laptop, but a bit more designed for thumb use.

swerve

Skiesofwonder said:
So I was thinking why would Nintendo leak this like they did.... and I think it has a lot to do with the GDC leaks.

After seeing the accurate leaks at GDC, Nintendo must of known that the 3D part would get leaked before E3 so they decided to do it themselves. Because otherwise I think they would of unveiled the 3D part right before E3 or during the Sony or Microsoft conference (like with Motion+) to try and steal some of their thunder.

Either that or to raise their stock.

Or to create 100 page threads on gaming forums, to get news coverage on all the world's news websites uncontested by other gaming announcements, and to replicate the exact way they announced the original DS?

There's nothing unusual for Nintendo about this method of announcing.

trinest

wind_steaker said:
I dont know if this has been discussed but I was thinking about how something like this could be possible, and thought about transparent LCD displays.

semi-transparent-lcd.jpg

Now I believe but may be wrong that LCDs are transparent untill current is passed through the screen making them opaque. (a source for this)

So if Nintendo had 3 or 4 layered LCD screens that can have images on them while leaving areas transparent this could create a real illusion of depth. It would also have the benefit of not requiring to be constantly moved to appear 3D. Cost may be a factor however.

Obviously an object would be on one layer however and would not have any depth itself, but this could also be simulated with the motion sensor in the device. I could imagin this working really well in a Monkey ball style game, tilting the platform from above.

Thoughts?
Sony's Kiwi phone does simular. You should check that out.

swerve

chixdiggit said:
I predict the new 3DS will turn out like Wii motion plus, Wii Balance Board, DSi, Power Pad, Super Scope 6, R.O.B., Virtual Boy, E-Reader, Nintendo 64 VRU, Etc, Etc.

COOL. I love almost all of those things.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
chixdiggit said:
I predict the new 3DS will turn out like Wii motion plus, Wii Balance Board, DSi, Power Pad, Super Scope 6, R.O.B., Virtual Boy, E-Reader, Nintendo 64 VRU, Etc, Etc. Meaning another Nintendo product that gets very little support.
agreed. this thing will probably only get as much support as the gba did :lol

Branduil

chixdiggit said:
2d0cdvp.jpg

eggandI

Banned
Probably the best thing about this new portable is the possibility of a new Jump! game. That was by far my most favorite game on the DS. I hope they lay off those damn One Piece games on the Wii and get back to making Jump.

wind_steaker said:

Thoughts?

As has been mentioned, there's a Sony phone (with, I think, a monochrome screen) that has a transparent screen. However, as for perceived depth, it would have all the depth of a collage. (i.e. minimal, flat elements and very artificial looking)

Ten-Song

chixdiggit said:

34zwzrl.jpg

chixdiggit

wind_steaker said:
Thoughts?

Multiple OLED screens makes a lot of sense actually. OLED is still pretty expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom