• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerve

Vinci said:
Not even my 'world map=top-down; dungeons=behind the back' idea? =(
Damn it. I want a big world.

I vote top-down, sprite-based, with amazing 3D cloud effects, things floating at the bottom of rivers, people walking under the bridges you cross over... and that scene from the top of death mountain, but with the clouds and trees below faaaar in the distance.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DeusTrinitas said:
The ability to take 3D pictures and videos would be a selling point for certain. As for whether or not the 3DS will have the ability to do that on a launch-date unit straight out of the box, I have my doubts.
I think it is a no brainer. All you need is two cameras laterally displaced from each other and a screen capable of displaying 3D - both of which the 3DS is 90% guaranteed to have.

WillyFive

Vinci said:
Not even my 'world map=top-down; dungeons=behind the back' idea? =(
Damn it. I want a big world.

Switch them around, and that sounds awesome.

neo2046 said:
anyone seen this before?
a Japanese created a demo based on Johnny Lee's head tracking technology, quite cool
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4230739
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrbq8t6-po

if Nintendo 3DS can have similar effects
I am sure "3D gal simulation game" will be popular in Japan :lol
Love Plus 3DS, Idol M@ster 3DS , etc..

I seriously doubt it's head tracking, because it's not really 3D.

neo2046 said:
anyone seen this before?
a Japanese created a demo based on Johnny Lee's head tracking technology, quite cool
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4230739

That other ds game that has been posted looks to have a better effect than this, probably because of the colors and art style.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I like this a lot, but I would exchange the positions of the d-pad and analog "stick" on the left side.

Also, I think it would be great if the analog "stick" was designed among the lines of the one featured in the Sega Saturn 3D control pad, but I think that is what you're going for anyway.
sega_saturn_32.jpg

That style was already on a handheld, the tapwave zodiac, back in 2004 or 2005. I dug mine out of the closet and took some quick pictures to show it a bit better than the picture I posted earlier. It's being compared to a PSP-3000 in the second shot, btw. If you don't know, the 3000 is roughly the same size as the 2000, a lot thinner than the 1000 (launch PSP) and not as thin as the Go.

20z30hc.jpg

69hs12.jpg

(excuse the dust that flew off the zodiac's box)

again, it has a very small footprint, is 8-way analog like the N64 controller, can click in (L3 button) and uses increased resistance to make up for the smaller range you get. Feels very nice to use.

samusx

Banned
OK here are my last two edits for tonight.

- Moved the LEDs to easier to read area of the system
- Moved Start and Select buttons
- Only single camera
- Added MIC
- Changed speakers

3DSedit3.jpg

Dual stick version

3DSedit4.jpg

Single stick with larger Y X B A buttons

GDGF

Soothsayer
neo2046 said:
anyone seen this before?

OK at 40 seconds in that shit is fucking spooky! It looks like she sticks her head out of the monitor The Ring style.

mclem

Kulock said:
One other thought I had is that the mic should have a small halo of transparent plastic around it, that lights up when the game is looking for input from it, like how the 360's Vision Camera lights up when it's taking a picture or video. There were several times on the DS where it wasn't obvious or the game had to go out of its way to remind you there was a mic on the thing you should be trying.

I actually disagree, or at least want to make it optional for the developer; I like those moments when I'm trying to work out exactly what it wants me to do before I think out of the box and use the mic.

mclem

Haunted said:
Sticking through a hole in the upper shell and sealing the top, right? I love it.

Might be hard to do seamlessly, though, since analogue stick tops aren't really flat.

I thought he meant that there would be a dip in the upper shell at that point which the stick can fill in; it's not a full hole, it won't be sealed by the stick when closed, it'll only be a dip.

My worry about that suggestion is that I can't help but think it'll ruin the aesthetics of the upper panel, though. Not that that's a massive issue, but a gaping gap there would look odd.

evangd007

Hieberrr said:
I think some of you guys are forgetting that the second stick is essentially the touch screen.

Second stick is necessary to keep the inputs on each side symmetrical, so to support people who use the stylus in their left hand.

2w2h4l5.jpg

New mock-up! With old-school sound dial!

I really hope that there are 6 buttons in this fashion, like with the Nintendo 64.

For backwards compatibility purposes with DSi games, there will likely not be an analog sound control (like with the old DSes). It's unfortunate, but oh well.

Nimyh

Banned
evangd007 said:
Second stick is necessary to keep the inputs on each side symmetrical, so to support people who use the stylus in their left hand.
This, and also the stylus is not a perfect FPS method as it doesn't let your aiming hand reach buttons. Third-person games would also benefit from a camera stick, assuming the "3D" capabilities of the device are emphasized this time. Obviously this is all wishful thinking.

Why would you do that? said:
2w2h4l5.jpg

New mock-up! With old-school sound dial!

I really hope that there are 6 buttons in this fashion, like with the Nintendo 64.

Would not work for lefties. It has to be equal on both sides of the screen in regards to input options.

Vinterbird said:
Would not work for lefties. It has to be equal on both sides of the screen in regards to input options.
I guess you're right, but aren't lefties used to having the D-pad on the left side anyway?

While it may not be a good comparison, I'm used to having the arrows on a keyboard on the right side, and the d-pad on the left.

I guess you're right, but aren't lefties used to having the D-pad on the left side anyway?

While it may not be a good comparison, I'm used to having the arrows on a keyboard on the right side, and the d-pad on the left.

We're used to that, but in a game that changes constantly between stylus input and analog input, that design would be incredibly annoying to play, or games that use them at the same time.

DeusTrinitas said:
The ability to take 3D pictures and videos would be a selling point for certain. As for whether or not the 3DS will have the ability to do that on a launch-date unit straight out of the box, I have my doubts.

Saved for the Lite version............:/

I really hope they do it, and the cost of adding an extra .3 megapixel lens really is completely trivial but we'll see. Its such a no brainer but this is Nintendo afterall, so who knows what they'll do. If they do go ahead with it, obviously having the extra lens on the outside would work best.

yankee666

I would love to see a mockup based on the Hitachi mobile phone WOOO Ketai H001. Im still belive that it would include only one 16:9 3.8" 3d multitouch screen. With the design of that phone you can play the screen vertical for Ds compat or horizontas for 3ds games. You have to think that with only one screen its going to be much cheaper to produce and much more energy efficient. The name could mean 3D-Screen :D

Edit: based on most of the mockups i saw, im really dont think Nintendo will keep the old DS/ Dsi design, Imo that will confuse/lost interest on most of the casual people thinking that is the same machine oly with 3d. But also my argument is invalid based on the Dsi Sales alone

Vinterbird said:

And yet, if that design was symmetrical, it would fly in the face of everything Nintendo has established over the last 5 or so years.

The more I think about it (taking into account both the established symmetry approach and the requirement for backwards compatibility), the more I'm convinced there won't be an analogue stick.

At best, you might get a D-Pad that has some form of variable pressure capability - which would obviously have to be mirrored in the opposing buttons as well.

Not a chance in hell. There's already limited real estate next to the screen, and the buttons are already really small. The GBA only had 2 face buttons, and you know what happened with the Wii remote.

rogue_pigeon said:
And yet, if that design was symmetrical, it would fly in the face of everything Nintendo has established over the last 5 or so years.

The more I think about it (taking into account both the established symmetry approach and the requirement for backwards compatibility), the more I'm convinced there won't be an analogue stick.

At best, you might get a D-Pad that has some form of variable pressure capability - which would obviously have to be mirrored in the opposing buttons as well.

It's worth noting that Nikkei has been pretty damn reliable when it comes to knowledge on what Nintendo hardware is about. So what they are reporting are the closet to legit knowledge we have about the 3DS as possble right now, and they haven't been wrong about the last two DS's, so they must know someone.

zigg

rogue_pigeon said:

I'm sorta curious whether it might be possible/beneficial (design-wise) to build in a digital 360° dpad—think a d-pad, except with 360 directions instead of 8.

Vinterbird said:
It's worth noting that Nikkei has been pretty damn reliable when it comes to knowledge on what Nintendo hardware is about. So what they are reporting are the closet to legit knowledge we have about the 3DS as possble right now, and they haven't been wrong about the last two DS's, so they must know someone.

And by the same token, they say 3D stick, not 3D sticks. And how can you have symmetry with one stick and one set of buttons?

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
kitchenmotors said:
:lol :lol :lol

Not quite, the DS was a huge success way before the lite was released.

Nintendogs and Mario Kart played a huge role in the DS' early success.

Yeah I brought one :lol

First hand I can tell you that the DS Phatty phatty phat phat was a pretty bad design.

I remember at the product launch one journalist calling it "a bit naff" :lol
Although I did enjoy mario 64 on a handheld though, didn't have much of a problem control wise without an analogue stick.

rogue_pigeon said:
And by the same token, they say 3D stick, not 3D sticks. And how can you have symmetry with one stick and one set of buttons?

Are we certain it is not plural? The first report was a bad translation as a 3D stick, but it was later corrected to a stick which enables movement in 3D enviorments. So if it is two or one, could come down to bad translations.

rogue_pigeon said:

we just need someone that know japanese to look at the nikkei piece and see its about a analogue stick or somethimg else

Vinterbird said:
Are we certain it is not plural? The first report was a bad translation as a 3D stick, but it was later corrected to a stick which enables movement in 3D enviorments. So if it is two or one, could come down to bad translations.

We don't even know if they're talking about an analogue stick, let alone if they're talking about two of them.

Pimpbaa

I remember back when the PSP came out, Playboy released some pictures formated for the the PSP screen. I hope they release 3D pics for the 3DS! 3D boobs!

Alot of these people are saying that the camera HAS to be set between the two screens to emulate DSi software. I have a question:

Is it possible to use a wider lens or combination of two cameras in order pick up the same image while moving the camera's position to somewhere less obtrusive?

Also, are there many DSi games that absolutely require the camera be set in the exact position that it is now?

Edit:

Starchasing said:
we just need someone that know japanese to look at the nikkei piece and see its about a analogue stick or somethimg else.

According to google translate, here is the direct translation. "Stick and three-dimensional operation that plans to adopt the parts to convey the vibrations to the player character movement and collision attacks on the screen. These operations have to obtain a patent last year."

IMO, this refers not to an analog stick but to the patent recently uncovered detailing a pressure sensitive/vibration system in the stylus. I'll post a link to the original analysis which also contains a link to the actual patent if someone cares to wade through it.

http://www.brokemycontroller.com/co...t-may-tactile-feedback-felt-through-ds-stylus

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
abstract alien said:
Yeah, he spoke about them facing outward when he brought up the idea. It didn't seem as if Curls was around this thread when we were discussing that since he asked why there was a need for two cameras though, so I was just getting him up to speed. If the feature is included, hopefully they are facing outward.

OK facing forward, that sounds fucking mint. I just assumed that they had gone off on that bizarre head tracking idea and assumed the 3DS produced 3D via that method.

Mik2121

Vinterbird said:
Actually, right-handed people would be the ones not being to use all the buttons while playing using the stylus too, lefties like me would not have a single problem, because we would hold the 3DS with our right hands having access to 6 buttons instead of 4 (d-pad) for the right-handed people.

Vinterbird said:

Regarding to what Nikkei said, they talked about "Stick to move in 3D" which can mean an Analog stick or something else. In Japanese there's no plural for words (as in, adding 's' or stuff like that) so they just use numbers or other extra words. In this case they didn't, but that doesn't really mean much.

Mik2121 said:
Actually, right-handed people would be the ones not being to use all the buttons while playing using the stylus too, lefties like me would not have a single problem, because we would hold the 3DS with our right hands having access to 6 buttons instead of 4 (d-pad) for the right-handed people.

Regarding to what Nikkei said, they talked about "Stick to move in 3D" which can mean an Analog stick or something else. In Japanese there's no plural for words (as in, adding 's' or stuff like that) so they just use numbers or other extra words. In this case they didn't, but that doesn't really mean much.

But if you're using the stylus in your left hand, you won't be able to use the analog stick, which could prove troublesome in games where you need that.

Somnid

In terms of mock-ups I'm betting Nintendo replaces the power button with the home button. Something like the DSi's power button but with closer implementation to Wii's Home button. Like you press it and it brings up the Home menu or if you hold it for several seconds you can power the unit off. This of course will only work with 3DS games.

Fourth Storm said:
According to google translate, here is the direct translation. "Stick and three-dimensional operation that plans to adopt the parts to convey the vibrations to the player character movement and collision attacks on the screen. These operations have to obtain a patent last year."

IMO, this refers not to an analog stick but to the patent recently uncovered detailing a pressure sensitive/vibration system in the stylus. I'll post a link to the original analysis which also contains a link to the actual patent if someone cares to wade through it.

http://www.brokemycontroller.com/co...t-may-tactile-feedback-felt-through-ds-stylus

You know, this could be easily cleared up if someone who lives in Japan tells us what the phrase for "analog stick" is.

Doorman

Mik2121 said:
No matter what this turns out to be, the only way that dual-handedness is going to be perfect is if they just retain the button layout we already have and make no additions at all (meaning a digital D-pad and four face buttons). Personally, with a bigger emphasis on 3-D games with this new system, I really hope that's not the case. I use the stylus with my left hand, but I'd rather sacrifice that touch+button combo for a solid analog-stick or equivalent.

I still wish that more of these mock-ups would incorporate the 8-way notches that Nintendo has used on all of their analog sticks. If they use a stick, I doubt they'd move away from that style.

Mik2121 said:
This is absolutely right. Trying to get numerical details out of a Japanese release in a case like this is impossible.

curls

Somnid said:
In terms of mock-ups I'm betting Nintendo replaces the power button with the home button. Something like the DSi's power button but with closer implementation to Wii's Home button. Like you press it and it brings up the Home menu or if you hold it for several seconds you can power the unit off. This of course will only work with 3DS games.

Not if it had a operating system running in the in the background, especially with the extra horsepower rumour going around.

Somnid

EmCeeGramr said:
You know, this could be easily cleared up if someone who lives in Japan tells us what the phrase for "analog stick" is.

Pretty sure it's:アナログスティック
Literally it's a kana-ization of the English "analog stick." It also clears up nothing because it might not be an easily recognizable word to the public as a whole.

curls said:
Not if it had a operating system running in the in the background, especially with the extra horsepower rumour going around.

Wouldn't that validate it further?

Mik2121

EmCeeGramr said:
アナログスティック ('Analog Stick' in Katakana, used for foreign words in Japanese)

Either way, they used a completely different word, but that could be a way to explain how the 'Analog Stick' works. We will most likely have to wait until E3 to see if they meant an Analog Stick or something else.

samusx said:
OK here are my last two edits for tonight.

- Moved the LEDs to easier to read area of the system
- Moved Start and Select buttons
- Only single camera
- Added MIC
- Changed speakers

[snip]
Dual stick version

[snip]
Single stick with larger Y X B A buttons
If there is only one camera, it would be awkward to have it offset. It should be centered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom