• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogojira

The idea of a new Animal Crossing sounds intriguing, but the history of the series and its incremental (at best) improvements makes me hesitant to get excited. Hopefully it'll get the proper revamp it deserves this go around.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't care for Animal Crossing, but if the game doesn't offer significant changes, it will show that Nintendo really hasn't learn anything from the failure of AC Wii.

Jeels

You know, if the game is significantly updated (not a cheap port, looking at you Wii version), this might be a much better launch that the original DS launch, and it'll probably be my launch title buy. (Once again, if and only if it's a nice update).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't give a crap about Animal Crossing. STARFOX OR I'M NOT BUYING.
yeah right.

selig

Banned
Ok, only situation where I´d accept yet-another-AC was if they included it as part of the 3DS´ interface, built-into the hardware, without a cartridge or whatever. With the choice of using either a normal menu or the AC-interface.

cw_sasuke said:
I just hope they dont re-use the same old engine/assets... how would it look with cel shading graphics ? they should at least try something new....

The Wind Waker engine would be perfect for Animal Crossing.

Snakeyes

selig said:
Ok, only situation where I´d accept yet-another-AC was if they included it as part of the 3DS´ interface, built-into the hardware, without a cartridge or whatever. With the choice of using either a normal menu or the AC-interface.

Waste of money and resources.

yankee666

selig said:

Yeah, that would be cool. But i doubt they do it for free, maybe a 3DSware for 500 points. If its a retail game, then i hope its really an upgrade from the DS version i really enjoy that game

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
LegendofJoe said:

Yes, AC looking like that.....

mother3d.jpg

Snakeyes said:
Waste of money and resources.
A systemseller aka. pre-installed killer app would be a waste of money ? lol

Snakeyes

cw_sasuke said:
A systemseller aka. pre-installed killer app would be a waste of money ? lol

As seen in this thread, a good amount of Nintendo fans yawn at the thought of another Animal Crossing. Casuals prefer Miis and Brain Age. How is it a killer app or a system seller?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I love Animal Crossing, but the next one should just be integrated into the hardware and be a part of the GUI/menu system. Maybe a basic simplified house/town for interfacing with settings, menus, WFC & friends with DLC for deeper stuff (new items, clothes, furnature, shops, animals, fossils, bugs, flowers, fish, fruits, etc.). Also, as a side-note: add bird calling/watching to it. If anything, using it as a hub between games (maybe with some Mii/Wii Channels/Tomodachi Collection stuff) without having to swap game cards would be an easier way of playing everyday.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
LegendofJoe said:

WHOA.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Snakeyes said:
Casuals prefer Miis and Brain Age. How is it a killer app or a system seller?

How would you even compare if casuals prefer Mii ? AC is a Game, Miis are just avatars - they could let you use mii-like avatsr in the next animal crossing.

they already started pre-installing popular apps like brain training with the dsi xl - i wouldnt be suprised if the wii sports systemseller game would be shipping with every handheld. It would be the perfect way to introduce casuals to stuff like the nintendo shop or general use of the system features/online system.

gerg

cw_sasuke said:
How would you even compare if casuals prefer Mii ? AC is a Game, Miis are just avatars - they could let you use mii-like avatsr in the next animal crossing.

On the one hand, the developer of Tomodachi Collection brought up a good point: you can be attached to anything granted you like it enough. Nevertheless, Miis are certainly popular avatars (and potentially because there's a closer personal connection between the avatar and the player), as the success of TC itself (and that over 160 million Miis or so have been created) demonstrates.

This isn't to belittle the importance of good software design in and of itself (something which AC has certainly been lacking recently), but that it might not be too much of a stretch to suggest that Miis might be more popular than anthropomorphic animals would be.

2008: Katsuya Eguchi on PlayStation Home-like experience.
It’s definitely a possibility, we just haven’t chosen to do it this time [City Folk]. It’s certainly something to think about in future, though.
Well, I'm an Animal Crossing fanboy, and City Folk is easily one of the worst games Nintendo ever made. So...

WE DON'T WANT ANIMAL CROSSING JUST PLAYING IN 3D.

Hopefully they will improve/add things related to online experience, graphics and gameplay.

Of course it won't be the way we want because Animal Crossing is such an open game and you couldn't possibly have everything on it. But once again, just please don't waste another entry (since it's one per system) remaking the fucking old N64 version.

Anyway, it will be dead by the time of it's birth if we get another cycle using Friend Codes. Also, you don't have to fight pedophilia, Nintendo.

-WindYoshi- said:
Is there even anything out there besides those comments from Miyamoto a few weeks ago showing that Nintendo may change their online system?

The fact that their current system is garbage that no one uses, they know that it's garbage no one uses, and anyone who even remotely follows the industry would know that online functionality is becoming more important with each passing year?

Sammy Samusu said:

That would be perfect.

charlequin said:
The fact that their current system is garbage that no one uses, they know that it's garbage no one uses, and anyone who even remotely follows the industry would know that online functionality is becoming more important with each passing year?

We can only hope Nintendo wants to change it... and it shouldn't even be a question of whether they want to, it's almost necessary at this point to change it in order to please the "core" gamers, many of which won't ever touch the Wii because a lack of a cohesive online structure. The same can be said of certain developers as well, but the lack of graphical ability is a bigger roadblock there so that's another story.

rpmurphy

-WindYoshi- said:
Is there even anything out there besides those comments from Miyamoto a few weeks ago showing that Nintendo may change their online system?
Particularly about digital distribution, Iwata expressed disappointment some time ago (about DSiWare IIRC) that most people were only using the service when they have a particular title in mind to download. It's probably safe to assume that they realize they need to overhaul their online system to be more user-friendly.

upandaway

PounchEnvy said:
I expect a lot of 3D gimmicks like old 3D films. Stuff flying at you and all that stuff. "Look! That fish jump right at you when you reeled it in!!!"
We thought the same was gonna happen about the Wii's motion controls...

Bentendo said:
I'm sorry, but I would much rather play Animal Crossing than Star Fox. After Command I don't think it's possible to create a good Star Fox game on a handheld. Absolutely terrible. And I thought Namco did a bad job at making a Star Fox game? It was a shame that one of the creators of the original screwed up the series so badly.

There's hope for the series. The last thing Miyamoto said about it was that he was disappointed in the last few games and was looking to give the series back to an internal team.

There will be a Starfox game within two years of the 3DS launch - that I am sure of.

As for launch, maybe Animal Crossing. Maybe Mario Kart. Maybe a FPS original IP from Retro. They must be up to something and the timing is just about right.

Vinci

Danish
-WindYoshi- said:
We can only hope Nintendo wants to change it... and it shouldn't even be a question of whether they want to, it's almost necessary at this point to change it in order to please the "core" gamers, many of which won't ever touch the Wii because a lack of a cohesive online structure. The same can be said of certain developers as well, but the lack of graphical ability is a bigger roadblock there so that's another story.

They should definitely upgrade their online system, but these gamers you mention and those developers? They will be adverse to using Nintendo's hardware at any rate. Even if the Super Wii were to come out with online akin to XBL (it won't), they would still dismiss it and want to avoid it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
DrGAKMAN said:
I love Animal Crossing, but the next one should just be integrated into the hardware and be a part of the GUI/menu system. Maybe a basic simplified house/town for interfacing with settings, menus, WFC & friends with DLC for deeper stuff (new items, clothes, furnature, shops, animals, fossils, bugs, flowers, fish, fruits, etc.). Also, as a side-note: add bird calling/watching to it. If anything, using it as a hub between games (maybe with some Mii/Wii Channels/Tomodachi Collection stuff) without having to swap game cards would be an easier way of playing everyday.
NO.

Amir0x

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
Well, I'm an Animal Crossing fanboy, and City Folk is easily one of the worst games Nintendo ever made. So...

An Animal Crossing fanboy... *shuddder*

That's one of the scariest things I've ever heard :(

upandaway

Now that I think about it, the 3DS launch titles should be the first wave of games to come after Iwata started doing "Iwata Asks".

I'm really curious how these interviews changed the way things work at Nintendo. Iwata benefitted from it, for sure.

GaussTek

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Yeah. Go after the Farmville market. :lol Can't wait to see "Billy bob caught a goldfish in Animal Crossing" all over the news feed...

:lol Oh man, I really hate those kind of messages.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
HAL_Laboratory said:
New Animal Crossing should integrate with Facebook/Twitter.
screw facebook and twitter. flickr and soundcloud or bust!

I have to admit: my biggest question about 3DS is whether we'll see a push toward console-like experiences in portable form. This would signal that Nintendo has made a decision about where games are heading...

Vinci

Danish
HAL_Laboratory said:
I have to admit: my biggest question about 3DS is whether we'll see a push toward console-like experiences in portable form. This would signal that Nintendo has made a decision about where games are heading...

It'll probably be mixed in, but I highly doubt that's going to be Nintendo's primary stance on the thing.

GaussTek said:
:lol Come on, how hard is to wait just one week?
The difficulty of waiting is inversely proportional to the time remaining!
Kenka said:
3DS and PSP2 are already killed iPhone 3G is 99$.
I don't know. I bet Nintendo will give us a hell of a deal on 3DS hardware if we sign a contract to buy a new game each month for the next two years.
PounchEnvy said:
Gamecube. You can tell by the edges of grass. :3

edit: Fuuu forgot the Gamecube version was a port of the N64 version. Now I'm stuck.
If it were the N64 one the lower resolution would be noticeable.

-WindYoshi- said:
it's almost necessary at this point to change it in order to please the "core" gamers

The core gamers are a red herring here. It's necessary to change it in order to meet the expectations of casual gamers. Being able to actually play shoot/stab games simultaneously isn't all that important in the big scheme of things, but today's casual gamers are used to mobile and social-network gaming where asynchronous multiplayer stuff is effortless. If people have to learn, remember, and type in some bullshit 20-digit number just to go to their friend's Animal Crossing town they're just gonna go back to Farmville.

Building an online system that has all the XBL-style features bros want (cross-game invites, achievements, voice chat, etc.) is not that important to Nintendo. Building an easy-to-use account-based system that doesn't involve idiotic friend codes and which makes it easy and safe to buy DD content is.

Dedication Through Light said:
Leaky lips?

Anyway, of all the franchises to choose that?! I mean, come on man. I almost threw up just reading the quote.

Why not something more classic or lucrative
Still got my fingers crossed for Pilotwings as it would match my mock up quite nicely :D

3DS-Mockup_april2nd2010_ryancooper.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, I'm not really up to scratch on the last week or so's rumours and speculation.

Anything noteworthy?

ant1532

Banned
if animal crossing is true, that means i dont expect the 3ds to be a powerhouse. as if it was a powerhouse animal crossing isnt the game to show it off to developers.

wsippel

Banned
ant1532 said:
if animal crossing is true, that means i dont expect the 3ds to be a powerhouse. as if it was a powerhouse animal crossing isnt the game to show it off to developers.
Depends on what they wanted to show off I guess.

VegaShinra

I loved the DS Animal Crossing and wouldn't mind a 3DS version at launch but I want something better out of Nintendo than that. If this has the power of GCN, give me a StarFox or something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm looking forward to finally having WPA support on wifi. Not too optimistic?

And I'd like pikmin please. The scale would suit 3D nicely I think, with the tall plants passing by close to you etc. Plus it's been criminally overlooked since gamecube

WillyFive

HAL_Laboratory said:

The DS is already doing this for it's core games.

Maybe Nintendo is trying to blur the line.

DataBot

mrklaw said:
I'm looking forward to finally having WPA support on wifi. Not too optimistic?

And I'd like pikmin please. The scale would suit 3D nicely I think, with the tall plants passing by close to you etc. Plus it's been criminally overlooked since gamecube

DSi has WPA support so its almost confirmed for the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom