• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
KevinCow said:
Have we ever had a legit leaked picture of a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure we haven't. They keep that shit locked down.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the only thing that is going to see the 3DS prior to the conference is the inside of Iwata's coat pocket.

likeGdid

charlequin said:
It's good that you guys are getting this out of your system now. If anyone still wants to make a terrible mockup of the 3DS, better get it in while the getting's still good. :lol

I wonder if its a mark of an honor to make a mockup that ends up being remembered for being awful
Makes me glad mine went unnoticed
unless it ends up being true!

Instro

likeGdid said:
I wonder if its a mark of an honor to make a mockup that ends up being remembered for being awful

Not that bad, All the swiveling would never work though. Optimistic with the dual analogs I see.

antispin

likeGdid said:

I like. But I'll be surprised if they didn't extend the DSx look to the 3DS.

Eteric Rice

Crumpet Trumpet said:
It's too ugly to be real....

Unfortunately, the first DS was ugly as well.

If it were me, I'd make it look like this.

1zvwz13.jpg

But with a thinner screen, and a non-shitty color scheme.

Oh, and buttons, d-pad, and stick of course.

Twig

Banned
Instro said:
Not that bad, All the swiveling would never work though. Optimistic with the dual analogs I see.
It would be an incredible oversight if there was only one analog stick.

Unless you think Nintendo hates left-handers that much.

that so-called leak is a fake, and a pretty bad one at that. The button placements alone should say that, but my intel is also saying there is analog controls with the 3DS so this one is definitely a fake.

Instro

Twig said:

I agree its an oversight, but its not like its stopped left handers before now.

Eteric Rice said:

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zvwz13.jpg[IMG]

Oh, and buttons, d-pad, and stick of course.[/QUOTE]
I was imagining something exactly like this.

DrGAKMAN said:
Maybe Nintendo could single-handedly DESTROY this stupid notion of making only "children's toys" if they go with a slide design.

I mean, I know kids love Kidtendo, but...I think the slide hate "what about the children" argument is VERY tired.
Forget the kids. After years of use and toting around, my DS screens are in much better condition than my PSP screen. I went for a screw-on Pelican screen cover solution, even, but after two eventually snapped off I gave up on that route.
Linkzg said:
I don't have trouble viewing both screens at the same time, but I agree that having two screens is pointless.
Disagree, but as I have nothing new to add that I didn't say four years ago I'll just link to an old writing.

BlueWord

Twig said:

I'm not sure. I doubt they'd fuck southpaws entirely, but the solution will most likely be in line with the present DS (as in, not exactly equal; using the face buttons as a d-pad always feels funny to me).

There's also the fact that most Japanese are right-handed (at least according to my high school Japanese teacher, who was himself left-handed).

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The whole argument against an exposed screen is weak though. Not to quote myself, but I just wanna repeat again for the whole clamshell VS slide design thing...

DrGAKMAN said:
None of the slide VS clamshell bickering matters. Nintendo is going to do what they're going to do. I happen to believe they may go for more than "just 3D" with the top screen...I think it'll allow for multi-touch/touch-only games (clamshell hinge holding the top screen is uncomfy and undurable) in closed possition and/or artificial muscle "touch back" gaming where the screen touches you back (again, can't be done with a clamshell design).

If Nintendo's aim is to ONLY add 3D to the top screen (without the above new things or hell, even ANY kind of touchscreen) I would say a clamshell design is still best. However, if their aim is to do what I listed above...slide is the only choice.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
315zw5s.gif

Here's my crude recreation of the new Pokemon Pokedex. Looks like the 3DS is a slider!

Left is when it's closed, right is when its open and turned on.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
sprsk said:
315zw5s.gif

Here's my crude recreation of the new Pokemon Pokedex. Looks like the 3DS is a slider!

I've seen the scans and I'm having a hard time imagining how that thing is supposed to open up. Does it slide? Does it hinge?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Also, if the controls go into the area where the pokeball-like print is, then it looks like it will be a bit awkward to hold.

sprsk

Tempy said:
Also, if the controls go into the area where the pokeball-like print is, then it looks like it will be a bit awkward to hold.

Looking at all the other pokedex though, they all vary a bit from the consoles they are supposed to look like. I think the slide is a definite in, I doubt the screens are 4:9 like that though.

My guess is:

When The 3DS all you can see is the widescreen 3D screen and use it like a small TV screen for video and such, and when it's open, you can see both and play games.

sprsk said:
Looking at all the other pokedex though, they all vary a bit from the consoles they are supposed to look like. I think the slide is a definite in, I doubt the screens are 4:9 like that though.

My guess is:

When The 3DS all you can see is the widescreen 3D screen and use it like a small TV screen for video and such, and when it's open, you can see both and play games.
Oh shit

That would make my mock-up the most accurate one

New theory: A design inspired by the Jacob's ladder block toy, so all the screens can be left uncovered simultaneously, and button-only-no-screens play is possible with the right folding.
jumbo-jacobs-ladder.jpg

RagnarokX

sprsk said:
315zw5s.gif

Either that or the top screen is a separate module that plugs into the top of the unit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The screen will not be exposed. Nintendo have been pretty adamant about their handhelds being durable. Iwata wanted the DS to be built in a way so it could survive a drop from a couple of meters.

Durability has always been part of their design mantra. An exposed LCD screen would be going in the opposite direction for no good reason.

selig

Banned
EatChildren said:
The screen will not be exposed. Nintendo have been pretty adamant about their handhelds being durable.

bs-argument. I have a Cowon S9, screen is always exposed, and I have it in my backpack all the time, lying around somewhere between my books and stuff. Screen has not a single scratch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
selig said:
bs-argument. I have a Cowon S9, screen is always exposed, and I have it in my backpack all the time, lying around somewhere between my books and stuff. Screen has not a single scratch.

And? You're not Nintendo. Iwata's example for the DS was a kid having the system in the front basket of a bike, crashing, and having the device fly out. Laying in your backpack is not why they protect it.

neo2046 said:
a leak from China?
if someone want more people to get attention
won't this be more convincible? :lol

HHgCs1_b7j9Un41MNWUq0rO4MfBkzV9B

This one is interesting, the buttons have been repositioned to make the unit narrower. The microphone has been moved half way accross the hinge, Not the sort of thing you'd expect from a fake picture, whatever that means. (nothing) It does look much too like a DSi for my liking, possible knockoff?

No analog stick visibe, it was definitely an analog stick on that board, right?

Edit: oh that little button would be the stick, like a laptop track stick thing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
selig said:

sorry man, but you're not subjecting your electronics to the same level of punishment that a little kid does. i work in a doc's office, and kids come in playing a ds all the time. it gets heaved and tossed around and dropped, and it survives. they're little and clumsy and they have zero care for protecting the integrity of a screen.

no matter how good the exposed screen was at deflecting attacks, little kids would find a way to break it and fuck it up. bet on it.

selig

Banned
beelzebozo said:
sorry man, but you're not subjecting your electronics to the same level of punishment that a little kid does. i work in a doc's office, and kids come in playing a ds all the time. it gets heaved and tossed around and dropped, and it survives. they're little and clumsy and they have zero care for protecting the integrity of a screen.

no matter how good the exposed screen was at deflecting attacks, little kids would find a way to break it and fuck it up. bet on it.

It could be argued, thought, that a lot of little kids have PSPs, and we all know that the PSP´s screen isnt protected.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
selig said:
It could be argued, thought, that a lot of little kids have PSPs, and we all know that the PSP´s screen isnt protected.

again, taking my small slice of the populace as a sample, not a lot of kids have psps :lol

Sloane

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
This one is interesting, the buttons have been repositioned to make the unit narrower. The microphone has been moved half way accross the hinge, Not the sort of thing you'd expect from a fake picture, whatever that means. (nothing)
The gap between the screens is supposed to be smaller though, here it looks even bigger than the DS's, and repositioning the buttons in that way doesn't make any sense to me. Also, I doubt Foxconn is already producing units.

sprsk

Sloane said:
The gap between the screens is supposed to be smaller though, here it looks even bigger than the DS's, and repositioning the buttons in that way doesn't make any sense to me. Also, I doubt Foxconn is already producing units.

Not to mention the DS CTR Board had the switches laid out in the traditional Nintendo diamond style.

Sloane said:

If the X and Y were in the normal place the Y would overlap the edge of the screen, but I'm not expecting that to be the real thing. I'm hoping they wouldn't be that conservative.

1-D_FTW

Eteric Rice said:

1zvwz13.jpg

Oh, and buttons, d-pad, and stick of course.

That would definitely work and looks exactly how I'd imagine if slide-out were actually possible. Turn that bottom screen into a stock 4:3 and you gain an extra .6 inches of real estate for easy stick/button placement.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A question about 3D + stylus interaction:

Doesn't the 3D effect break when something gets between your eyes and the screen? If the stylus hits the 3D screen directly, what about the 3D illusion? I know that technically everything happens behind the screen, but still, I wonder...

Also, I'm being more and more pessimistic about the whole thing :lol. There are so many mockups with a 4:3/16:9 screen combo that I'm beginning to expect Nintendo to do that. The DS Lite and DSi (and the Wii) are incredible in terms of design in my opinion, but I can see them ruining the aesthetics of the unit by abandoning the symetric design :/.

1-D_FTW

I think you should just resign yourself to the fact it's going to be a stock DS screen on bottom. This way you'll already be in acceptance mode and anything else will be a pleasant surprise come E3.

Kilrogg said:

Doesn't the 3D effect break when something gets between your eyes and the screen? If the stylus hits the 3D screen directly, what about the 3D illusion? I know that technically everything happens behind the screen, but still, I wonder...

Yes it does. And the effect also breaks when using multiple fingers as well what makes me even more worried. No way they don't put a capacitive multitouch foil on top of the large screen.

Kilrogg said:

Also, I'm being more and more pessimistic about the whole thing :lol. There are so many mockups with a 4:3/16:9 screen combo that I'm beginning to expect Nintendo to do that. The DS Lite and DSi (and the Wii) are incredible in terms of design in my opinion, but I can see them ruining the aesthetics of the unit by abandoning the symetric design :/.

positive 3d yes, most definitely, negative one could be worked in order to blend with a touch based input.

judging by the leaked board tho, upper screen is 3d and the bottom one is the touch screen one. we still don't know if the eupper 3d screen is touch based.

could be 16/9 3d upper screen and 4/3 2d touch based lower screen from what we know.

Hobbun

Somnid said:
Because you just gave me a sob story about how you don't have the opportunity to play games outside of the house even if you wanted to.

Not a sob story because it's not sad, it's my own choice and it's not something that bothers me. It's not like I am going "Fuck, I want to use my handheld away from home so bad but I can't!"

Just because you buy a portable, doesn't mean you are 'using it wrong' because you don't play it on the go. We all play our portables what works and is most comfortable to us.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
KevinCow said:
Have we ever had a legit leaked picture of a Nintendo console? I'm pretty sure we haven't. They keep that shit locked down.

Wiimote leaked a few days before they officially showed it off. Internet was going monkey shit with fake leaks and the wiimote looked so silly that everyone dismissed it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
°°ToMmY°° said:
positive 3d yes, most definitely, negative one could be worked in order to blend with a touch based input.

judging by the leaked board tho, upper screen is 3d and the bottom one is the touch screen one. we still don't know if the eupper 3d screen is touch based.

could be 16/9 3d upper screen and 4/3 2d touch based lower screen from what we know.

Thanks.

I know about the leaked board, but at the same time the 3DS is heavily rumoured to include Sharp's 3D touchscreen, so...

sasimirobot

Slide out would be awesome! So at this point it isn't possible the bottom screen could be 16:9? Couldn't they just letterbox older DS games?

EVIL

I am still highly skeptical of nintendo doing the 1 x widescreen 3d screen and 1 x 4:3 touchscreen thing. It looks horrible! and since nintendo is going for clean sharp looks these days (wii, DSlite and DSi) I don't think its something they will do.

these concepts are all based off a development board we dont know how old it is

Arucardo

sasimirobot said:
Slide out would be awesome! So at this point it isn't possible the bottom screen could be 16:9? Couldn't they just letterbox older DS games?
That would make it a pretty huge portable. Only a few more days to go, so hyped right now :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom