• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Feep said:
A rare attempt at using the word "effect" properly as a verb, but you did not do so correctly.
He's just being effectionate.

OnPoint

Dacvak said:
Touchpads on the back of the device for fingertip controls.

lol

I always thought they should put triggers on the bottoms of controllers, like the Z-button on the N64. I have so many more fingers that could be doing something.

Just sayin'

swerve

Dacvak said:
Touchpads on the back of the device for fingertip controls.

That's so not a Nintendo idea. I guess I could see someone else doing something like that though.

Stylus + Fingertips on rear = fallen and smashed on floor.

EDIT:Heh. Just had a little look around after starting to wonder why no one had made a rear touch screen. Turns out they have! Apple would cockblock anyone else's attempts, I guess.

http://techcrunch.com/2007/05/10/odd-ipod-patent-shows-dual-screens-rear-touchscreen/

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Eteric Rice said:
I'd hate to be the guy at Nintendo that has to fix the 3DS some dude got his jizz on. :((
I'm gonna get so many chicks to take 3D topless pics the first week it comes out.

Bert

Dedication Through Light said:
Now this, I think is an awesome and underutilized idea. Just about every device is starting to get geolocation abilities as well.

Maybe the stench of the last handheld gaming device to do this (Gizmodo says hi) is still too strong?

Having played with AR and GPS stuff on Android the real issue is that no-one around you has it on at the right time.

3D video chat even if only over WiFi would be amazing. I honestly can't see why Nintendo wouldn't court someone like Netflix or Disney to run their own 3D on demand movies. No risk or input from Nintendo, just provide the hardware and users. It's win-win surely.

Also, a way around the 3G thing would perhaps be to allow tethering to a phone over Bluetooth.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
AceBandage said:
We just need one more big rumor.
3DS will not need to be charged from the grid - it will have a small bio reactor.

you just need to feed it an old gum or two periodically. or a dead bug. or a mice. or your aged gold fish (who needs one when you've got a 3DS?). when you're away you just leave it on self-sustained 'hunting mode' and it provides for itself. neat-o.

blu said:
3DS will not need to be charged from the grid - it will have a small bio reactor.

you just need to feed it an old gum or two periodically. or a dead bug. or a mice. or your aged gold fish (who needs one when you've got a 3DS?). when you're away you just leave it on self-sustained 'hunting mode' and it provides for itself. neat-o.

It doesn't sleep... it waits...

Dacvak

Dreamwriter said:
For 2D sidescrolling, check this out (it's one of YouTube's 3D videos, that lets you choose any method of 3D you want, including cross-eyed)
Warioland VB
Ok, that was fucking awesome to watch on the iPhone. Anymore videos like that?

blu said:

Id prefer the wireless energy transfer, like that TV at CES :p.

I guess our speculative powers are growing less keen, no one throws out games anymore.

Id prefer the wireless energy transfer, like that TV at CES :p.

I guess our speculative powers are growing less keen, no one throws out games anymore.

I think we've predicted just about every game that is possible, honestly.
:p

Zilch

Banned
Maybe this has already been discussed, but is it possible that the general populace will be able to get first hand experience with the 3D effect before buying the system this fall?

I don't know how they'd go about it exactly... kiosks in videogame stores? releasing stereoscopic screenshots?

Zilch said:
Maybe this has already been discussed, but is it possible that the general populace will be able to get first hand experience with the 3D effect before buying the system this fall?

I don't know how they'd go about it exactly... kiosks in videogame stores? releasing stereoscopic screenshots?

Kiosks, like the Wii and DS, would be the most logical solution.
They'd just replace the DSL kiosks in all the stores.

Zilch said:

Well if they said that 3D mode is optional, then they can use the regular sources to display the games. Though that leads one to think that 3D doesnt provide any functionality gains at all.

But for the response, they could do their usually touring thing where they set up a mini-tent in random series and have experience the 3DS events.

Show the 3D in front of rated PG movies in the theaters as well.

*click me*

2yod7qr.png

My uncle's wife have a friend that know a man who work in Nintendo (Japan, off course).
He give me this sketch, it's absolute a real thing, trust me!

nqzqsy.jpg

Dragmire

I like the three screen mock-up.

I've checked the thread many times but never saw anyone talk about this. Does anyone else think that it's crucial for Nintendo to allow PC (and at the very least Wii) connectivity so people could sync games and maybe music and movies? Yes, that makes it easy for pirates to take advantage of, which seems to be a big problem for DS. But to me, it seems almost necessary if Nintendo wants to compete with the iPod App market. And why wouldn't they want to? It's a very easy market to appeal to and their games are perfect for it.

Dragmire said:
I like the three screen mock-up.

I've checked the thread many times but never saw anyone talk about this. Does anyone else think that it's crucial for Nintendo to allow PC (and at the very least Wii) connectivity so people could sync games and maybe music and movies? Yes, that makes it easy for pirates to take advantage of, which seems to be a big problem for DS. But to me, it seems almost necessary if Nintendo wants to compete with the iPod App market. And why wouldn't they want to? It's a very easy market to appeal to and their games are perfect for it.

In order to allow this, Nintendo would have to create their own syncing program (similar to iTunes or WMP) and I doubt they would.

A while back it was mentioned that Nintendo had trademarked a bunch of names with 3DS, and one was 3DSPLAY. Everyone assumed that would stand for "3DS Play", similar to "Wii Play", but what if it's something else? Say, Nintendo's brand name for their system's revolutionary new "3Dsplay"? Prounounced "3-display"?

OnPoint

Dreamwriter said:
A while back it was mentioned that Nintendo had trademarked a bunch of names with 3DS, and one was 3DSPLAY. Everyone assumed that would stand for "3DS Play", similar to "Wii Play", but what if it's something else? Say, Nintendo's brand name for their system's revolutionary new "3Dsplay"? Prounounced "3-display"?

15000 here we come!

Somnid

Dreamwriter said:

Nintendo has trademarked a bunch of things that they probably won't use but don't want people squatting on in case they do.

Dragmire

AceBandage said:
In order to allow this, Nintendo would have to create their own syncing program (similar to iTunes or WMP) and I doubt they would.
I agree, but I think they should feel pressured to do something different like this if they want to take on the App market. It's just out of reach to them. Why not? They have a lot of control over the software and that's important to them. But the wireless internet market is growing, so maybe at this point they don't feel a lot of pressure to do something like that.

Somnid said:
Nintendo has trademarked a bunch of things that they probably won't use but don't want people squatting on in case they do.

I think they took just about every single color for Pokemon, every gemstone and previous metal too, lol. I really do hope 3DS and all that stuff isnt the final name.

Its silly to say, "Im going to buy 3DS Play, and go and see whats new to download for 3DS-ware. Wii Play makes complete sense, and DSiWare (sounds like some type of fancy viewing accessory). But 3DSware? (glove or sleeve to cover the device?)

Beth Cyra

Dreamwriter said:

All I know is, if this shit is true SE better not make a Sequel to TWEWY and try to have me play as three characters at once. 2 characters was a bitch to do with out letting the comp take over for the top screen.

TruePrime said:
All I know is, if this shit is true SE better not make a Sequel to TWEWY and try to have me play as three characters at once. 2 characters was a bitch to do with out letting the comp take over for the top screen.

As long as they do a sequel Ill be happy. I still need to buy the game, I bought it day 1, traded it in, bought it again, and then traded it back in, and now I feel like buying it again. Each time I only get an hour in.

Instro

As long as they do a sequel Ill be happy. I still need to buy the game, I bought it day 1, traded it in, bought it again, and then traded it back in, and now I feel like buying it again. Each time I only get an hour in.

...That seems like a waste of money :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess I will be the one setup for most disappointment, near PS3/X360 power in a handheld is something that Ive always hoped for, lol.

The hell? If you're expecting PS360 ( I feel like we've already had this conversation) then you've only yourself to blame. If you show disappointment at the debut of this thing based on that IGN rumor you're only proving yourself to be a gullible mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom