• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

abstract alien said:
Where exactly did the whole "it will have apps" statement come from? I've seen it thrown around a few times, but have no clue of its origin.

Rumored a few days ago I believe.

Just a heads-up for anyone who wasn't following this, GAF's E3 policy this year is new threads for new information -- conference-specific threads plus individual spinoffs to discuss individual revelations, not giant megathreads.

That means I'll be locking this thread up tomorrow or Monday in preparation for the real reveal on Tuesday. If we get a real leak before the show, cool, new thread time, but please don't post any new mockups, speculation, etc. in the last 24 hours or so.

Thanks y'all!

abstract alien said:
Where exactly did the whole "it will have apps" statement come from? I've seen it thrown around a few times, but have no clue of its origin.

Well, the DSi already has apps, of sorts.
So a natural progression would make sense.

Dambrosi said:
The Sharp-made 3D screen posited was supposed to be a touchscreen as well (I dunno if multitouch, though), and I dunno if they even make non-touchscreen ones (seems like a waste).
Actually, when Sharp was showing off the screens, they said that touchscreen versions would also be available, but not until later this year (and cost a little more).

neoanarch

Dreamwriter said:
Actually, when Sharp was showing off the screens, they said that touchscreen versions would also be available, but not until later this year (and cost a little more).

the ones Hitachi showed off didn't mention anything about touch either.

Yeah, I guess the dsi kind of has apps such as the clock and a calculator. I guess when I think about the word "app" as its implied nowadays, I think of more worldly style applications that are both specific and broad. Things that can constantly make life easier, less cumbersome, or more entertaining. If the 3DS has an app program such as this, then that will be nice.

Snakeyes

charlequin said:
That means I'll be locking this thread up tomorrow or Monday in preparation for the real reveal on Tuesday. If we get a real leak before the show, cool, new thread time, but please don't post any new mockups, speculation, etc. in the last 24 hours or so.

So where would I post my upcoming mockup? In the Nintendo conference thread?

Also, what would be the minimal gap between two screens based on the different types of hinges that could be used?

neoanarch

abstract alien said:
Yeah, I guess the dsi kind of has apps such as the clock and a calculator. I guess when I think about the word "app" as its implied nowadays, I think of more worldly style applications that are both specific and broad. Things that can constantly make life easier, less cumbersome, or more entertaining. If the 3DS has an app program such as this, then that will be nice.
I haven't read the source of the rumors. But the speculation should be whether Nintendo releases a SDK. I hope they do.

antispin

charlequin said:
Just a heads-up for anyone who wasn't following this, GAF's E3 policy this year is new threads for new information -- conference-specific threads plus individual spinoffs to discuss individual revelations, not giant megathreads.

Thanks y'all!

Aww. Please don't lock it. Or lock it just before the conference, not 24 hours before.

It's been real, fellas...

Well, actually the majority of content in this thread are anything but real.

Some final speculation - what if Nintendo went back to its roots for 3DS launch. No, not playing cards. Donkey Kong! I think a revival of the classic style similar to Donkey Kong 94 would be huge! The Mario vs DK games just seem to lack something that 94 had.

jman2050

OnPoint said:
I give you props if you can do two times in a row. One will be enough, take it from someone who watched it recently

Sorry dude, that movie is infinitely rewatchable, it's basically a guilty pleasure of mine honestly. :lol

I pretty much have the whole script committed to memory. The only other movies I can say that about are the first two BTTF film :lol

abstract alien said:
Oh ok, cool. Also, who's got rights to the official thread?
charlequin just said there would be no official threads, but a new thread for each individual piece of information, aside from the one thread per conference. So there won't be a 3DS thread, but there'll be a thread about its name, a thread about each game reveal, a thread about Miyamoto's tie, and a thread about the built-in holoprojector.

abstract alien said:
Also, who's got rights to the official thread?

LovingSteam will be creating the official Nintendo conference thread. Whatever else we get from there will be dependent on exactly what gets shown and then what gets reported at E3 proper.

Dreamwriter said:
charlequin just said there would be no official threads, but a new thread for each individual piece of information, aside from the one thread per conference. So there won't be a 3DS thread, but there'll be a thread about its name, a thread about each game reveal, a thread about Miyamoto's tie, and a thread about the built-in holoprojector.

Just about, yeah. :lol

Whenever we get a package of info about the 3DS (some subset of physical design/launch titles/price/features) at E3, there will probably be one thread to talk about that, followed by one or more threads discussing actual hands-on with the system on the show floor.

jacksrb

charlequin said:

Thanks y'all!

Here's to hoping for a new topic next week about the revelation that is 3DS X-wing vs Tie Fighter reboot [or Star Fox].

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh, we're gonna hit 15,000 for sure.

Dreamwriter said:
Didn't think he meant official threads when he said Giant Mega Thread. I thought he meant continuing this big thread into e3 and snowballing it even more from there :lol
Its usually been beneficial in my opinion when we have one thread, with important info stated in the thread title + keeping the title/OP updated. Ah well, I'm not running the show, so whatever happens is fine with me.

charlequin said:
LovingSteam will be creating the official Nintendo conference thread. Whatever else we get from there will be dependent on exactly what gets shown and then what gets reported at E3 proper.
*thumbs up*

Jaruru said:
any prize or megaton?
Probably just a closed thread status :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why do all these 3DS mockups look identical to the DSi, only shopped?

Are people really that creatively dead?

EatChildren said:

the year is 2004 and nintendo has announced a dual screened handheld

the great creative minds of our time set to work

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/nintendo-ds-mockups/

20j0c9f.jpg

11l08j4.jpg

1z3rl9z.jpg

11qjofr.gif

Instro

EatChildren said:

To be fair nobody here designs consoles or hardware, so I imagine its pretty difficult to get away from the familiarity of previous hardware.

OnPoint

jman2050 said:
Sorry dude, that movie is infinitely rewatchable, it's basically a guilty pleasure of mine honestly. :lol

I pretty much have the whole script committed to memory. The only other movies I can say that about are the first two BTTF film :lol

To each their own lol

I love it, just not more than once every few months at most.

Instro said:
To be fair nobody here designs consoles or hardware, so I imagine its pretty difficult to get away from the familiarity of previous hardware.
Yeah, no shit. Here was my first attempt at the 3DS concept, for example:

3ds_mockup_ryancooper2010_opt.jpg

:lol

seady

EatChildren said:

I notice that too.
And I really really wish the 3DS to have a much different design than the DS. I have been playing the DS for many years and I want to have a much different hardware on my hand.
It would be disappointing if the thing looks the same with just a better tech inside.

Sadly, I could see Nintendo retaining 95% of the same boring design.

KevinCow

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
the year is 2004 and nintendo has announced a dual screened handheld

the great creative minds of our time set to work

1z3rl9z.jpg

That actually looks a lot like the DS we wound up getting.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Yeah, no shit. Here was my first attempt at the 3DS concept, for example:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/ryan_cooper_79/3ds_mockup_ryancooper2010_opt.jpg[IMG]

:lol[/QUOTE]

In proving that you don't just copy existing products and slap them together, you have proven that you should never be allowed to design anything ever.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
You want different...how 'bout SLIDE design?

If the top screen is *just* a 3D screen (no touch/multi-touch or artificial muscle) then that's the only way I see it not being a slide design.

KevinCow said:
In proving that you don't just copy existing products and slap them together, you have proven that you should never be allowed to design anything ever.
I'm actually a pretty successful graphic designer / artist by day, so I'll take the word of my clientele over yours.

You're right, that is an ugly ass mock-up.

gumshoe

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
I'm actually a pretty successful graphic designer / artist by day, so I'll take the word of my clientele over yours.

You put more effort into it than all the other mock ups, so let them hate all they want!! They shouldn't have gotten to you, though.

Make at least one more mock up before tuesday because I like your ideas.

AFreak

Banned
thing is, unless they fix the "both screens don't meet at the same point" design flaw, I really don't see myself getting the 3DS.

AFreak said:
design flaw
One screen is touch, one isn't. They should be separated by a gap. Plus it's on a hinge. There can't be any foreign objects preventing the hinge from opening fully (which would happen with a "no gap" type setup). Not to mention that I'm sure they tried it already. Why does everyone want the screens to touch?

AFreak said:
thing is, unless they fix the "both screens don't meet at the same point" design flaw, I really don't see myself getting the 3DS.

More likely they'll just decline to make any new games that use both screens as one large screen.

Rendering high resolution 3D graphics to one screen is going to tax the hardware as is.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
People always make fun of my crude pencil & paper ones, but then no one helps a brother out by taking one of my designs and giving it a shiny 3D render.

BTW, it'd be nice after they reveal it (and my design being the closest) that my tag would change. Hell I was already right about the holo cards so far. Or don't change my tag, see if I care...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
HAL_Laboratory said:

Make something based on the pokedex

FEED OUR ADDICTION

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
DrGAKMAN said:
people always make fun of my crude pencil & paper ones, but then no one helps a brother out by taking one of my designs and giving it a shiny 3D render.

BTW, it'd be nice after they reveal it (and my design being the closest) that my tag would change. Hell I was already right about the holo cards so far. Or don't change my tag, see if I care...

:|

AFreak

Banned
HAL_Laboratory said:
One screen is touch, one isn't. They should be separated by a gap. Plus it's on a hinge. There can't be any foreign objects preventing the hinge from opening fully (which would happen with a "no gap" type setup). Not to mention that I'm sure they tried it already. Why does everyone want the screens to touch?

So when they make a game utilizing both screens at the same time, i don't get a weird disconnect from the character going from one screen to the other.

AFreak said:
So when they make a game utilizing both screens at the same time, i don't get a weird disconnect from the character going from one screen to the other.
If you get a weird disconnect, that means they did a bad job developing the game. To keep that from happening, the game must treat the gap as world-space that you just can't see. A lot of games do this correctly; a lot don't, by treating it as if there is no gap at all.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wife is asleep and I'm bored as fuck so I made my own mockup

2rmpaf9.png

Black space at the bottom is the old DS cart thing (the new one would be at the top I guess). Stereo cameras for 3D camera effect.

Easy prediction: A bunch of press releases Tuesday featuring quotes from Genyo Takeda about the importance of the tech from various partners.

When we saw the dump of them like that for Wii, I got this image of him trying to work at a desk while press release writers kept poking him for new quotes.
EatChildren said:

If people are trying to accurately predict a hardware design rather than trying to show design chops to get themselves hired somewhere, it seems a safer bet to consider the hardware Nintendo has released over the last several years and try to evolve it.
sprsk said:
A harmonica!

antispin

sprsk said:

2rmpaf9.png

Black space at the bottom is the old DS cart thing (the new one would be at the top I guess). Stereo cameras for 3D camera effect.
Wow. I really like this one. This comes closest to bringing all rumors together.

Edit: why a hinge though? Couldn't it just as well slide out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom