• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
antispin said:
Wow. I really like this one. This comes closest to bringing all rumors together.

Edit: why a hinge though? Couldn't it just as well slide out?

Well, I don't really know how the slide out would work, hinge was easier to draw too lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wolves Evolve said:
I'm searching through information - is 3DS going to be playable on the show floor at all, or don't we know? If we don't know, I assume its at TGS.

We dont know. We know it's going to be revealed, but thats it.

I assume it will be playable. It would be a missed oppertunity to leave it out, especially if an October launch is true. But you never know.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nintendo only knows how to make portables based off of Gunpei Yokoi designs. Hence the 3DS will either be like the DS or like the virtual boy.

Eteric Rice

EatChildren said:

I assume it will be playable. It would be a missed oppertunity to leave it out, especially if an October launch is true. But you never know.

Could have sworn I read it'd be playable.

EatChildren said:

Didn't the press release say it would be playable at E3?

seady

I think one motivation of the dual screen of the DS is to keep the cost down.
I assume one big touch screen is more expensive than two small screens? It allows them to have only one screen to be touch and one that is not (so to keep cost down).

If both screen are touch, it really negates the reason to have a two screens. Why don't they just make one big screen that is touch. Why split it into two? If they want the system to play old DS games, I can see them do something similar like the early iPhone games with only one big screen rendering two images (when they were simply port of DS games, or were still stuck with the DS's dual screen mentality):

3136928951_dd3dee8531_o.jpg

grandjedi6 said:
Nintendo only knows how to make portables based off of Gunpei Yokoi designs. Hence the 3DS will either be like the DS or like the virtual boy.

Wonderswan wouldn't be a terrible fit if they combined the two screens into one big one. Replace its A/B buttons with an analog stick or something.

KevinCow said:
That actually looks a lot like the DS we wound up getting.

It really does, and still kind of what some people are expecting for the 3DS! I like the N64-like controls.

seady said:
I think one motivation of the dual screen of the DS is to keep the cost down.
I assume one big touch screen is more expensive than two small screens? It allows them to have only one screen to be touch and one that is not (so to keep cost down).

If both screen are touch, it really negates the reason to have a two screens. Why don't they just make one big screen that is touch. Why split it into two? If they want the system to play old DS games, I can see them do something similar like the early iPhone games with only one big screen rendering two images (when they were simply port of DS games, or were still stuck with the DS's dual screen mentality):

3136928951_dd3dee8531_o.jpg

Isnt the screen, 3DS, just gonna be three or so inches anyway? I cant see comfortably fitting a emulated 2 screens on that size of screen.

BlueWord

Speaking of 4cr, my favorite 3DS mock-up is definitely this one.

20100613-csj36nmrcj32umjayhdargx29a.gif

Though, if we go by the pokédex thing, this seems sort of impossible, now.

sprsk said:
Wife is asleep and I'm bored as fuck so I made my own mockup

2rmpaf9.png

Black space at the bottom is the old DS cart thing (the new one would be at the top I guess). Stereo cameras for 3D camera effect.

Pretty sure that would result in the hinge being in the middle of the screen.

1-D_FTW

Dreamwriter said:
Actually, when Sharp was showing off the screens, they said that touchscreen versions would also be available, but not until later this year (and cost a little more).

No they didn't. There was a ton of confusion and contradictions about that. If you actually google that and sort through the muck, you'll find the touch-less version is going into production last. I.E. If any company really wants to save a couple pennies and somehow doesn't utilize touch in their product, they'll eventually be able to buy a cheaper version.

BlueWord said:
Speaking of 4cr, my favorite 3DS mock-up is definitely this one.

20100613-csj36nmrcj32umjayhdargx29a.gif

It's cool and all, but that would require a massive resolution for casual mode. And the SMG mockup wouldn't be quite that sexy, because you'd have a gap in the middle of all your games (where the two screens merge). It's a creative design, but hardly practical.

Edit: Unless it was just a one small Sharp 3D (which has the resolution). But that would make DS games really small. And I still don't see how a capacitive touch screen could properly emulate DS's resistive screen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what are the chances of this thing having a super-awesome touch screen ala iGadget?

1-D_FTW said:
It's cool and all, but that would require a massive resolution for casual mode.

It really wouldn't! total DS screen size is 256 x 384, compared to PSP's 480 x 272.
There are ways to emulate touch screen with certain styli but I'm not sure they'll go down that route.

The only downside to that mockup is some kind of QTE based mario game.

Xater said:
Man I hope this gets locked soon, so I can top looking in here if any news happened. :lol

This was going to be the only thread I would come to during E3, lol. But now, I hope a separate Official 3DS thread is made instead of an all encompassing Nintendo E3 one...

BlueWord said:
I can see some similarities between the changes in the Pokédex and Nintendo's actual handhelds over the years, but this really shouldn't be taken TOO seriously.

I mean. Game Boy? Err... sorta? The shape around the screen is definitely familiar.
Gen_I_Pokedex.png

Game Boy Advance? Huh?
Pokedex_Hoenn_Region.png

DS? Yeah, dual screen is a definite match.
260px-Sinnohdex.JPEG

The HeartGold/SoulSilver one just looks like some of the goofy DS mockups where people added another screen to the top of a GBASP, though.
Pok%C3%A9Dex_HGSS_m.png

Mush

EmCeeGramr said:
the year is 2004 and nintendo has announced a dual screened handheld

the great creative minds of our time set to work

11l08j4.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, I really don't believe in the Pokedex theory. The only one that looks anything like an actual product is the Sinnoh dex.

Xater

Dedication Through Light said:
This was going to be the only thread I would come to during E3, lol. But now, I hope a separate Official 3DS thread is made instead of an all encompassing Nintendo E3 one...

Megathreads have been declared dead.

DataBot said:
Check 3DS wiki in the meantime good read.

3DS wiki

Thats some mighty conflicting information:

The SDK is reportedly "similar in power to the GameCube," with an easy learning curve for developers familiar working with Nintendo's GameCube or Wii home consoles.

several developers who have experienced 3DS in its current form", the system possesses processing power "close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360"

SN

In the same month, several developers spoke publicly about features they wished to see in a Nintendo DS successor, including stronger online functionality,[19] dual multi-touch screens,[20] a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver, and 3G mobile broadband connectivity.[21]

1-D_FTW

Graphics Horse said:
It really wouldn't! total DS screen size is 256 x 384, compared to PSP's 480 x 272.
There are ways to emulate touch screen with certain styli but I'm not sure they'll go down that route.

The only downside to that mockup is some kind of QTE based mario game.

I'm pretty sure I did a second stealth edited almost immediately after I edited in the second quote:)

I originally assumed it was 2 Sharp screens put together. Yeah. An 854*480 screen could easily display both screens. But then you'd be shrinking two 3 inch screens into a single 3.4 incher. Tiny. Assuming that stylus could be accurate enough for games like Kirby Canvas on a capacitive screen.

I've never been a huge proponent of b/c. Especially in this case where it's requiring bulk and components that IMO are unnecessary. So I'm not opposed to the idea. I really like it. I just find it very unlikely.

DataBot

Dedication Through Light said:
Thats some mighty conflicting information:

several developers who have experienced 3DS in its current form", the system possesses processing power "close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360"

Yes that one is wrong you need to read carefully

IGN said:
that it has processing capabilities that far exceed the Nintendo Wii and bring the device with abilities that are close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

That means the GPU Processing is at wii levels and GPU effects like Shader , bloom, etc. are closer to X360 and PS3 levels.
I pointed this out already many times.
Someone could fix the wiki page.

DataBot

This mockup looks good who did this?
Can you guys Photoshop it and update it making the upper screen slideable and removing the d-pad adding a nub?

Nintendo-3d.jpg

ds2_2.jpg

Its should look like this one when the slider is closed.

rrp6ix.jpg

it should look something like this with a slider

nokia-6790-slide.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I expect Level 5 Time Travelers to be fully announced at the Nintendo conference.

DataBot

DataBot said:
Yes that one is wrong you need to read carefully

That means the GPU Processing is at wii levels and GPU effects like Shader , bloom, etc. are closer to X360 and PS3 levels.
I pointed this out already many times.
Someone could fix the wiki page.

Well i updated the wiki page.

Changing it from this
In early-June 2010, video gaming website IGN reported that according to "several developers who have experienced 3DS in its current form", the system possesses processing power "close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360"

to this
In early-June 2010, video gaming website IGN reported that according to "several developers who have experienced 3DS in its current form", the system possesses processing power like the Wii and has GPU Effects "close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360"

camineet

Banned
sorry if already posted

Rumor: Nintendo 3DS to Have Analog Stick, Possibly 3D Camera
Chinese blogger claims to have a 3DS development kit, and spills some supposed hardware details

According to a new report from Kotaku, the Nintendo 3DS won't just feature a 3D display, but perhaps also a built-in 3D camera, a small analog stick, a top screen about twice as wide as the bottom screen, and the system has reportedly been compared to the Wii in terms of its horsepower.
Some of these details come from an anonymous Chinese blogger who claims to have a 3DS development kit, and while "anonymous Chinese blogger" doesn't sound like the most trustworthy source, Kotaku reports that these details match what they've heard from other sources "familiar with the system's development kit" as well.

The Chinese blogger drafted a simple mock-up of what the 3DS will look like, showing a much wider top screen and a "rectangle" over the D-pad that may be where a 3D camera will be built into the system. The camera, developed by Sharp (just as the handheld's 3D screen is rumored to be made by Sharp), could be used to both capture 3D images as well as "detect motions of the player."

As for the analog stick, we've heard it mentioned before that the 3DS would feature one, but Kotaku reports that other sources have confirmed the handheld features a small stick more comparable to real analog stick than the nub on the PSP. And on top of that, more of these anonymous sources have reportedly told Kotaku that the handheld's power may be comparable to the Wii (as opposed to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, as was rumored earlier this week).

If it hasn't been made clear enough yet, though, we stress again these are all completely unconfirmed reports from various anonymous sources, with Nintendo refusing to comment on any of these rumors. But with their E3 press conference set to take place on June 15, we'll all find out exactly what the Nintendo 3DS will be packing in just a few days.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179802

1-D_FTW

Parl said:
Does the 3DS definitely have two screens?

It's announced as backwards compatible. Technically the Sharp 3D screen has a high enough resolution to display the pixels of both screens, but it seems pretty unlikely.

DataBot said:
This mockup looks good who did this?
Can you guys Photoshop it and update it making the upper screen slideable and removing the d-pad adding a nub?

Nintendo-3d.jpg

ds2_2.jpg

+

Eteric Rice said:
Unfortunately, the first DS was ugly as well.

If it were me, I'd make it look like this.

1zvwz13.jpg

But with a thinner screen, and a non-shitty color scheme.

Oh, and buttons, d-pad, and stick of course.

Would be a great mockup. I like that the first mockup is the first one to get the screen ratios right, but I'm all in on the slide-out at this point. Obviously still needs the analog.

Prez

How about this: the touch screen will be the same size and resolution as that of the DSi, while only the top screen is 3D with a high resolution.

Parl

Spwn said:
What do you think "DS" stands for? Duck soup?
"Duck soup" would be my second guess, with Developers's System my first.

Back on topic, I'd say that 3DS stands for 3-Dimensional System, given that, you know, its biggest known new feature is 3D output.

Though they could call it 3DDSDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom