• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Conference 2011 - Sept 13, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Gravijah said:
Takao, I thought you didn't like Dragon Quest. Why are you wearing a Dragon Quest avatar?

my avatar is from chrono trigger what's your problem man

nckillthegrimace said:
Where are these dragon ball characters on generic black backgrounds from anyway?

They're from various video games. I'm not sure which one the Vegeta art's from (I just googled), but Bulma's from Dragon Ball Online. There's a tonne of promo artwork for that game, and it just grows as the game grows. That gallery is just a tiny helping.

Poyunch

God I can't believe how stupid you all are. It's from Dragon Ball for fucks sake. Of all people I expected you Takao to know this. Stupid stupid stupid. I can't believe I have to lay this all out here. Blue Dragon, Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger all have similar character designs since they share a similar artist in the Japanese genius known as Akira Toriyama.

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FUCK.

PounchEnvy said:
God I can't believe how stupid you all are. It's from Dragon Ball for fucks sake. Of all people I expected you Takao to know this. Stupid stupid stupid. I can't believe I have to lay this all out here. Blue Dragon, Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger all have similar character designs since they share a similar artist in the Japanese genius known as Akira Toriyama.

I haven't watched/read/played any of those for such a long time that I honestly didn't know where she was from until I scrolled up and saw the bigger picture of her.

lol toriyama

Takao

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

nah man, i think my avatar is from tobal

i'm not sure i just googled it

rpmurphy

PounchEnvy said:

Akane-chan from Dr. Slump got a perm and dyed her hair blue.

pramath

Banned
Calling it:

*Monster Hunter 3DS
*Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remakes
*Zone of the Enders 3DS

These three are definitely going to be unveiled at the conference

watershed

Banned
pramath said:
Calling it:

*Monster Hunter 3DS
*Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remakes
*Zone of the Enders 3DS

These three are definitely going to be unveiled at the conference
These are your official predictions? The monster hunter and ZOE I can understand because of existing rumors/teases, but why the Pokemon prediction? Did I miss a rumor somewhere?

pramath

Banned
artwalknoon said:
These are your official predictions? The monster hunter and ZOE I can understand because of existing rumors/teases, but why the Pokemon prediction? Did I miss a rumor somewhere?
Yeah, I'd stand by them.
There really have been no concrete Pokemon predictions for the 3DS, but honestly, it seems to make a lot of sense to me, and it's just my gut feeling telling me it's gonna happen, so I threw it in there.
A few more games that I'd say we could be looking at would be Advance Wars and/or Fire Emblem, and maybe a Metroid Dread as well.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Well the search on this site sucks or it doesn't work for me, but can anyone link me to the official DS recommendations thread so I don't have to start anew thread asking for DS recommendations?

Captain N

artwalknoon said:

they want the 3DS to sell. they need to release or well announce something in terms of Pokemon.

artwalknoon said:
I think people think it's coming up next because next year is the tenth anniversary of Generation 3.

PounchEnvy said:

thats_the_joke.jpg

Nice lol

watershed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I think people think it's coming up next because next year is the tenth anniversary of Generation 3.
Ah, I see. I don't know enough about pokemon to know about anniversaries and favorite gens and stuff. No doubt a pokemon game is in the works for the 3ds, and its the first pokemon game I plan on buying, but don't those games usually take a while? Would it be premature to announce one so soon (based on Nintendo's preference to not announce games so far out from release) or has there been enough time? Pokemon Rumble just came out in Japan.

pramath

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Ah, I see. I don't know enough about pokemon to know about anniversaries and favorite gens and stuff. No doubt a pokemon game is in the works for the 3ds, and its the first pokemon game I plan on buying, but don't those games usually take a while? Would it be premature to announce one so soon (based on Nintendo's preference to not announce games so far out from release) or has there been enough time? Pokemon Rumble just came out in Japan.
Black/White released last year in Japan, so a remake for the third generation (that would be Ruby/Sapphire) that is a part of the fifth generation and due next year would be on course for the series. Of course, in case Ruby and Sapphire remakes ARE made, then there would be the question as to whether they have a new engine utilizing the 3DS's capabilities, or whether they use Black and White's engine, in which case there would be the additional question as to why they are not on the DS/DSi.
However, new Pokemon games for the 3DS are certainly in development. The Pokemon Company has had 3DS development kits for nearly two years now, and I'm very sure a mainline Pokemon game is en route for the system pretty soon now.

Gravijah

artwalknoon said:

Spinoffs have nothing to do with the mainline games, which are handled by Game Freak.

pramath said:
Black/White released last year in Japan, so a remake for the third generation (that would be Ruby/Sapphire) that is a part of the fifth generation would be on course for the series. Of course, in case Ruby and Sapphire remakes ARE made, then there would be the question as to whether they have a new engine utilizing the 3DS's capabilities, or whether they use Black and White's engine, in which case there would be the additional question as to why they are not on the DS/DSi.
However, new Pokemon games for the DS are certainly in development. The Pokemon Company has had 3DS development kits for nearly two years now, and I'm very sure a mainline Pokemon game is en route for the system pretty soon now.

I don't think RSE remakes will use the BW engine, which puts us in a very unique position when it comes to Pokemon games.

I think I'd be okay with Pokemon looking like it did in black & white, but with bigger sprites and the 3D objects looking better.

I don't need the graphics to drastically change.

Gravijah

ShockingAlberto said:
I think I'd be okay with Pokemon looking like it did in black & white, but with bigger sprites and the 3D objects looking better.

I think sprite based battles are on borrowed time, which makes me really sad. It's not much longer now until they are gone.

pramath

Banned
Gravijah said:
I don't think RSE remakes will use the BW engine, which puts us in a very unique position when it comes to Pokemon games.

The way I see it, then, there could be one of three things that happen with the 3DS Pokemon game(s):

* A Pokemon Grey/Ruby Sapphire remake is developed which uses the same engine (although modified) that Black/White used. Whereas this really wouldn't do justice to the 3DS's capabilities, one needs to remember that Pokemon games have never been technical showpieces for their systems anyway, and that Nintendo is not averse to underexploiting their systems with major first party games. Such a situation would not be entirely out of the question.

* A Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake is developed with an all new engine optimized for the 3DS. Whether this remake will be a part of the fifth gen, or whether it kickstarts the sixth gen, or whether it exists outside of the traditional 'generational' classification is entirely unknown. However, the way I see it, an all new engine being made for Pokemon Ru/Sa remakes that might then go on to be used in an original Pokemon 3D game as well makes most sense.

* An all new Pokemon game for the 3DS, neither Grey nor a remake of Ruby/Sapphire, due out next year. This would make the fifth generation the shortest Pokemon generation ever, but in light of the 3DS's struggles, I think it might be something that Nintendo will be forced to do.

Overall, I'd say the chances of the first scenario happening are 3/10, the second one are 4/10 and the third one are 3/10.
No matter what happens, though, the future evolution of the Pokemon series will be very interesting to watch.

watershed

Banned
pramath said:
Black/White released last year in Japan, so a remake for the third generation (that would be Ruby/Sapphire) that is a part of the fifth generation and due next year would be on course for the series. Of course, in case Ruby and Sapphire remakes ARE made, then there would be the question as to whether they have a new engine utilizing the 3DS's capabilities, or whether they use Black and White's engine, in which case there would be the additional question as to why they are not on the DS/DSi.
However, new Pokemon games for the 3DS are certainly in development. The Pokemon Company has had 3DS development kits for nearly two years now, and I'm very sure a mainline Pokemon game is en route for the system pretty soon now.
Cool. I've played one or two pokemon games in the past for all of half an hour so I have pretty much no experience with the series. But I have friends and family who absolutely love the series. I figure I should wait for the first mainline 3ds game to release and give the series my first serious try with that. The sooner the better!

ShockingAlberto said:

I'd be ok with it in the sense that is be happy to get anything in that series, but I'd rather it e different, but if I won't complain.

pramath

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Cool. I've played one or two pokemon games in the past for all of half an hour so I have pretty much no experience with the series. But I have friends and family who absolutely love the series. I figure I should wait for the first mainline 3ds game to release and give the series my first serious try with that. The sooner the better!
Well, I hope you enjoy your first Pokemon experience! There really is nothing else like these games, and they often get so addictive and so intense, it's kind of hard to believe that under that deceptively adorable exterior lies what essentially amounts to electronic crack.
On my part, I would really direct you to play Pokemon Black/White- they released earlier this year for the DS, and are excellent games, arguably the best in the series. They are the easiest to get into for newcomers as well, and are generally well rounded and well made. If you really want to give the series a try, you can't do better than Black/White!

Not to burst the Pokemon bubble, but based on trends up to know a game announcement at this conference is not likely (not impossible), but not likely.

Games typically release in late September in Japan and recently have an 8-10 month gap between announcement and release.

Unless the release time-frame is changing, or the performance of the 3DS is forcing their hand to announce early, I don't see it happening.

(What you all should really be wondering about is the console Battle Simulator that is no longer coming for the Wii.)

pramath

Banned
StreetsAhead said:
Not to burst the Pokemon bubble, but based on trends up to know a game announcement at this conference is not likely (not impossible), but not likely.

Games typically release in late September in Japan and recently have an 8-10 month gap between announcement and release.

Unless the release time-frame is changing, or the performance of the 3DS is forcing their hand to announce early, I don't see it happening.

(What you all should really be wondering about is the console Battle Simulator that is no longer coming for the Wii.)
I don't know, announcing a Pokemon game for the 3DS now, which is due for release next year around this time, would lead to a lot of confidence from consumers, retailers and publishers for the system, and that is certainly that Nintendo needs a lot of.

My actual predictions are MHTri G, large chunk of the show dedicated to upcoming games, 3DS demo downloads, MGO in Snake Eater, and a Zelda teaser.

pramath said:
I don't know, announcing a Pokemon game for the 3DS now, which is due for release next year around this time, would lead to a lot of confidence from consumers, retailers and publishers for the system, and that is certainly that Nintendo needs a lot of.

I don't deny that, I just think it's unlikely.

(Also, GF may be working on a smaller non-Pokemon project led by the English guy they employed who did the 3D art in BW, the one who designed the ice-cream cones and the golems).

StreetsAhead said:
I don't deny that, I just think it's unlikely.

(Also, GF may be working on a smaller non-Pokemon project led by the English guy they employed who did the 3D art in BW, the one who designed the ice-cream cones and the golems).
James Turner.

The only westerner to ever design a Pokemon officially.

There you go, James Turner. He's the one directing the game.

Remember that GF did do an 'emergency' hire of 3D artists earlier in the year though, so something's definitely coming, eventually. Previously, Mr. Turner was their only one with any extensive experience.

walking fiend said:
We don't know how many of them they have bought though.

Not sure if serious...

Lol @ Mach Rider Unchained.

I can believe a new Mach Rider game, but that name and the description is total Bomberman Act Zero parody territory (even though it actually suits the game since the back story is actually kinda Blade Runner esc anyway - plus it is the kind of game that NST would be perfectly suited to make)

I think that would be pretty cool if Mach Rider turned out to be real, but I don't see it happening. It's certainly not the kind of game that they'd show off here for the Japanese audience.

The MH3G rumour there is just a repeat of the previous leak (which is highly likely to be true BTW)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
monome said:
Some kids need two nubs to fly.
I won't play a single flying sim on 3DS until they release a flight stick attachment. Can't believe Nintendo was so short sighted as not to include one as standard.

boris feinbrand said:
Baten Kaitos? Would be interesting to see if true.

It does fit with a previous announcement rumour that Monolith are set to show a game that is the 3rd in a series for 3DS (the only 2 possible candidates are Baten Kaitos and Super Robot Wars)

TBH I'm kinda conflicted about Mach Rider. The announcement venue doesn't seem to fit the game (why announce a western focused game at a Japanese event?) and the rumour is suspect at best, but the actual game itself sounds plausible, considering the backstory of the original NES game (and perfectly suited to NST - who are due to announce a new game any time now).

Also, the name throws the rumour off for me a bit, it's not very Nintendo esc, but it's also not entirely implausible.

monome

BGBW said:
I won't play a single flying sim on 3DS until they release a flight stick attachment. Can't believe Nintendo was so short sighted as not to include one as standard.

buckle-up

monome

A game like Mach Rider would be easier to control with just one nub than Kid Icarus.

Since they are making a second nub stick why bother? how can you use two nubs for a racing game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom