• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Crosses 4 Million Mark; two million sellers (US)

Kifimbo

PR:

Nintendo 3DS Crosses 4 Million Mark
Driven by Fast-Selling Software Nintendo 3DS Sells More in Its First Nine Months Than Wii Did

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Whether they were on the go or at home, whether they played in 2D on the TV or in glasses-free 3D in their hands, gamers of all ages celebrated the holidays with Mario™ and Zelda™. Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 for the Nintendo 3DS™ system not only became the fastest-selling titles in the history of their respective franchises when they launched, but they are now also the first Nintendo 3DS titles to sell 1 million units each in the United States. On the console side, The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword, which also broke launch records, became the 45th Wii™ title to sell more than 1 million units in the United States.

“One of the strongest software lineups in our history helped Nintendo have a great holiday season and to close 2011 with a full head of steam”
.“One of the strongest software lineups in our history helped Nintendo have a great holiday season and to close 2011 with a full head of steam,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Not only have the new Mario and Zelda titles already broken records, but with strong reviews and satisfied customers sharing their positive experiences, all three are also shaping up to be the latest long-tail titles from Nintendo. Couple that with a massive first- and third party lineup in the first part of the year and the prospects for 2012 are extremely promising.”

Nintendo sold more than 12 million total hardware units in the United States in 2011, marking the fifth year in a row that the company has accomplished that feat. This includes more than 4.5 million units of Wii, more than 4 million Nintendo 3DS systems, and more than 3.4 million units of the Nintendo DS™ family of systems. This brings the installed base for Wii and Nintendo DS to 39 million and more than 51 million, respectively.

With a strong lineup of software on the horizon, including new installments in the Mario Party™, Pokémon™ and Kid Icarus™ franchises, as well as third-party games such as Resident Evil® Revelations from Capcom and METAL GEAR SOLID® 3D Snake Eater from Konami for Nintendo 3DS, that momentum should continue into the first quarter of 2012 and beyond.

In addition to the milestones reached by new software, two evergreen Nintendo titles celebrated milestones as 2011 drew to a close. Mario Kart Wii™ passed 11 million units sold and New Super Mario Bros.™ for the Nintendo DS family crossed 10 million total units sold.

Remember that Wii and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

Penguin

I didn't see anything about this, and was just in my inbox, but Nintendo has confirmed that 3DS has crossed 4 million in the States. As well as Wii selling more than 4.5 million for the year and other sales figures.

Whether they were on the go or at home, whether they played in 2D on the TV or in glasses-free 3D in their hands, gamers of all ages celebrated the holidays with Mario™ and Zelda™. Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 for the Nintendo 3DS™ system not only became the fastest-selling titles in the history of their respective franchises when they launched, but they are now also the first Nintendo 3DS titles to sell 1 million units each in the United States. On the console side, The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword, which also broke launch records, became the 45th Wii™ title to sell more than 1 million units in the United States.

And old favorites keep trucking along

In addition to the milestones reached by new software, two evergreen Nintendo titles celebrated milestones as 2011 drew to a close. Mario Kart Wii™ passed 11 million units sold and New Super Mario Bros.™ for the Nintendo DS family crossed 10 million total units sold.

3DS is only going to get better and stronger. 2012's line-up is luscious and Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are fantastic. Its current success in Japan will also guarantee some Japanese goodness on the way too.

I just hope they sort out the shoddy hardware with a revision.

Goodlife

I got both SS and a 3DS for Xmas.

Got Mario Kart and Mario Land for my 3ds (Mrs Goodlife is a massive Mario fan....)
Anyone recommend any other games? Was looking at Starfox (loved the N64 version) but was sold out.

Two very deserving titles. The system is picking up, and I'm a pretty happy owner recently. All the free games didn't hurt either. I'm glad Nintendo turned the ship around. Hopefully they learn from their several missteps at launch. Pushmo for the next million seller! Nikki from Swapnote for president!

Michan

So that's 8 million in the US + Japan. With the rest of the world still to report and three months to go, that 15 million number isn't looking completely unrealistic at this point.

Can anyone guess December NPD sales using this information?

I was looking through the NPD articles on Gamasutra on Sunday, IIRC the 3DS had to have sold at least 1.3 million units to have crossed 4 million LTD

So that's 8 million in the US + Japan. With the rest of the world still to report and three months to go, that 15 million number isn't looking completely unrealistic at this point.

Depending on week 52 MC numbers + more exact numbers in December NPD it might be above 8.5m.

ShinNL

There's something very interesting about this. You know how third parties have a hard time competing with Nintendo franchises on Nintendo platforms? I don't think Nintendo was planning to release so many of their best Nintendo titles so early, but with their press releases they mentioned that they have to step up, because the third parties weren't filling the gaps they left open. So in the end, it ends up as the same Nintendo cycle as always: except people can't blame Nintendo for it this time how third party games don't sell.

test_account

XP-39C²
Insert "people dont want dedicated handheld systems" articles etc. here :p Nice to see that dedicated handheld sales are still relevant :)

I think that the 3DS was around 2.45 million by November NPD. So it probably sold over 1.5 million units in December.

EDIT: Already mentioned.

DGRE

Banned
Great numbers. 3DS has surely (and easily) passed 10 million WW. The numbers for MKWii and NSMB DS are unreal. I know it's easy to just look at those numbers and brush them off because it's Nintendo, but those are nearly untouchable in terms of sales. And legs...man those legs...

FreeMufasa

Can't believe I went back on 10 million by the time Vita releases world wide.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

YTD until November 3DS 2.46

Considering it crossed the 4 millions mark, it did 1.54 millions at least.

LTD until November WII: 37.75

So, at least 1.25 millions.

What 15 million number?
Unless I've been wrong all this time, they're expecting 16million this financial year, plus the ~3.6 they sold the previous financial year.
So assuming it's 12 million total right now, they'd still have almost over 7 million to sell.
Still not completely unrealistic, but the whole world needs to go 3DS crazy for this quarter for it to happen.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I predicted 3Ds would reach a 15 millions userbase by the time Vita reaches its 1st million, and it seems likely to happen. Quite a head start.

What 15 million number?
Unless I've been wrong all this time, they're expecting 16million this financial year, plus the ~3.6 they sold the previous financial year.
So assuming it's 12 million total right now, they'd still have almost 7 million to sell.

Bit of channel stuffing and they won't be far off

M3d10n

Insert "people dont want dedicated handheld systems" articles etc. here :p Nice to see that dedicated handheld sales are still relevant :)
Don't count them out yet: the DS sold 8.5 million in 2010, while 3DS + DS sold 7.4 million in 2011. If it ain't growing, it's dying!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What 15 million number?
So assuming it's 12 million total right now, they'd still have almost 7 million to sell.
Still not completely unrealistic, but the whole world needs to go 3DS crazy for this quarter for it to happen.

Bit of channel stuffing and they won't be far off

We should find out how they feel at the end of the month when they have their fiscal report, based on whether they change the number or not.

Michan

What 15 million number?

They sold 3.6 million in less than a week in most regions and a month in Japan?

It could be 16 million that they were expecting, though. I can't dig up the original projections easily as I'm out and about, but if somebody could I would appreciate that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It could be 16 million that they were expecting, though. I can't dig up the original projections easily as I'm out and about, but if somebody could I would appreciate that.

FY 2011/12 Forecast (Unit:Million)
Code:
                    NDS        Wii        3DS

Hardware Sales      6.0        12.0       16.0

Software Sales      62.0       100.0      50.0

Original Forecast (Unit:Million) [Note: These were their expectations prior to the price cut.]
Code:
                    NDS         Wii        3DS

Hardware Sales      11.0        13.0       16.0

Software Sales      67.0        120.0      62.0

As a general note, their fiscal year is April 2011-March 2012.

The launch shipment (before April 2010) was 3.6 million.

Well it's what we'd say is shipped, not sold. Sold to retailers are the numbers they report in their financials.

As a general note, their fiscal year is April 2011-March 2012.

Thanks, I still don't understand why they dropped their software forecast but not the hardware. Can they make up the difference with special edition 3DS designs?!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The launch shipment (before April 2010) was 3.6 million.

Yeah, so we'd have to total up all regions so far and then subtract that, then measure the difference versus the 16 million.

If we take the 12 million people are listing here, that would be 7.6 million they have to sell in Q1?

There's something very interesting about this. You know how third parties have a hard time competing with Nintendo franchises on Nintendo platforms? I don't think Nintendo was planning to release so many of their best Nintendo titles so early, but with their press releases they mentioned that they have to step up, because the third parties weren't filling the gaps they left open. So in the end, it ends up as the same Nintendo cycle as always: except people can't blame Nintendo for it this time how third party games don't sell.
Where are you reading this? They explicitly mention to Q1 3rd party games (RE and MGS) that they project will do well.

FoxSpirit

NSMB:DS doesn't deserve those sales, I always end up with the mediocre Marios. Not have a Wii?? Oh, we release our good ones there. But had a GameCube? Mario Sunshine.

I feel like some evil celestial Bowser spirit is laughing his ass off >:<

BurntPork

Banned
lol @ everyone who thought it would sell less than 1 million! Things are looking up, and the smaller games in Q1 should let it keep that momentum.

But still, they won't reach their shipment target. They'll probably cut it to 13 million later this month.

waicol

Banned
As discussed before and in this thread the 16 million mark for it's second fiscal year isn't happening even on the very healthy state the 3DS is right now. So expect whiny investors in this year's meeting.

As discussed before and in this thread the 16 million mark for it's second fiscal year isn't happening even on the very healthy state the 3DS is right now. So expect whiny investors in this year's meeting.

"Should have given WiiFits to Earthquake victims like I said! Then you wouldn't be in this mess!

BurntPork

Banned

The investors would have been whiny if it had sold 30 million. Less than iPhone+iPad+iPod touch = failure to them.

Top Bottom