• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
CoolS said:
So how or where can I use my points in the ar games to unlock more?
You need to play through the initial 6 games. After that the game tells you that there is a new set of games and you can hit a box to switch.

Xater

dc89 said:
Is there a Miyamoto QR code?

I'd be grateful if someone can provide me one! Google failed me, or I didn't look hard enough.

Japanese 3DS launch thread has. Somewhere after page 20 if you use 100 posts per page I think.

dc89

Xater said:
Japanese 3DS launch thread has. Somewhere after page 20 if you use 100 posts per page I think.

Will report back! Brb.

Got it!

jytrf.jpg

Get scanning!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Milpool said:
Yeah it's really annoying, I wonder how it did get past Nintendo unless we're just a very unlucky few. I think I'll just sandwich in a microfibre cloth whenever I take it out with me since it doesn't happen when it's just sitting on the cradle.
I get the same. Becoming a more wide spread issue by the minute.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Xater said:
BTW how do you change the pants color of your Mii? I hate that brown.
Top = favourite colour
Trousers = Status, i.e Normal, Favourite or Special

Remember, outfits vary from game to game so don't worry about trouser colour.

BGBW said:
I get the same. Becoming a more wide spread issue by the minute.
I have the same problem. I can wipe it off, but it's noticeable. Looks like a fault of design. Hopefully it won't cause any permanent marks. Screen protectors should compensate for it though.

As of now, I simply use the little piece of cloth that came with the system to protect the upper screen when the unit is closed. That way I also have something to wipe off smudges ready at all times^^

Xater

BGBW said:
Top = favourite colour
Trousers = Status, i.e Normal, Favourite or Special

Remember, outfits vary from game to game so don't worry about trouser colour.

Oh so because my Mii is my favorite he will also have brown pants in the Mii app?

meppi

maxmars said:
Yes! That made it, thanks. My headphones need to be really pushed hard in order to click, wouldn't have tried if I didn't read your suggestion.

You're welcome. ;)

Trust me, I didn't figure it out myself at first either.
Only after returning to the store thinking something was wrong and having the clerk shove it in there with full force, not caring if it broke or not did both of us realize that it's just incredibly tight.

Never had this with any of my past systems.

CoolS said:
Wow, that stuff works fast :)
It really does! :)

From playing around with all the options and features the 3DS feels like the culmination of all the testing and experimenting that was done with the Wii and DS.
Things that worked in the past have improved and things that didn't have been reinvented or completely abandoned for something that does.

Really loving the polished feel of the whole interface.

Did you guys know you can convert those 'side-by-side' 3D images to MPO for viewing on the 3DS?

You just need to get them at the right resolution (400x240?), and use a utility like FujiFilm's FinePixViewer (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/)... select two images of identical resolution and the option to combine them becomes available under Image Utilisation.

You can also use Stereo Photo Maker, which might be easier: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

You can convert your MPO files to normal side by side JPEGS, or red/cyan images etc using the MPO toolbox - http://www.stereoscopynews.com/download/software/654-mpo-toolbox.html

taku

synt4x said:
Two of my friends just picked up a 3DS each with SSF4 3D. They said that there were no lines whatsoever, or even any people at all and that they didn't even have the 3DSs out in the store. You had to ask for them. And this was in one of the bigger electronics stores in Sweden.

So perhaps the hype isn't so huge over here that they sell out immediately :p

Edit: Super Street Fighter 4 was 299 SEK. I thought it would be more expensive actually.

Edit2: Oh and these folks are hardcore Playstation fans that have never owned a Nintendo console before, let alone a handheld. But even they were fucking hyped yesterday.
Dude, where'd you get SSFIV for 299 SEK? What store and where are you located? I can only find prices like that online..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Xater said:
Pretty sure those were the official ones. There is also one for Reggie.
I'm not sure they're official. Iwata's Mii in official pictures looks different.

CAVE343

How are you supposed to switch games? When I'm at the home menu (dashboard?) and I take a game out and put a new one in the 3DS doesn't always recognize the newly inserted game.

Are you not supposed to switch games when the system is powered on?

Xater

bad-joey said:
How are you supposed to switch games? When I'm at the home menu (dashboard?) and I take a game out and put a new one in the 3DS doesn't always recognize the newly inserted game.

Normally that should totally work.

Question, dudes -

I picked up a few Mii characters from StreetPass yesterday, however when I try to use them in StreetQuest or the Puzzle game is says I haven't met anyone. Also they do show up in the little garden thing, however do I need to enable something to use them in the games?

Rekubot

An Owl With Knees said:
Question, dudes -

I picked up a few Mii characters from StreetPass yesterday, however when I try to use them in StreetQuest or the Puzzle game is says I haven't met anyone. Also they do show up in the little garden thing, however do I need to enable something to use them in the games?
Yes, you need to have loaded up StreetQuest and the Puzzle game beforehand and told it to start looking for Mii characters.

meppi

bad-joey said:

Did you log out of the game or is it still visible in the background on the home menu?
If so, press close on the bottom of the screen so that it shuts down the game cartridge.
At that point you should be able to remove the cart and put in another one.

Try to not take a cartridge out of the system when it's still active, in the game itself or in the background of the home menu when you interrupted the gameplay by pressing the home button.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A small note on my Amazon woes - about 7 emails later they finally refunded the full delivery charge on all parts of my order.

So if you have similar problems with them, persistence may pay off...

CAVE343

meppi said:
Did you log out of the game or is it still visible in the background on the home menu?
If so, press close on the bottom of the screen so that it shuts down the game cartridge.
At that point you should be able to remove the cart and put in another one.

Try to not take a cartridge out of the system when it's still active, in the game itself or in the background of the home menu when you interrupted the gameplay by pressing the home button.

hmm, that could be the issue! last time I tried I forgot to close the suspended game indeed. Gonna try it tonight, thanks!

An Owl With Knees said:
Question, dudes -

You must use them at once. You can't recieve Miis in the plaza and then do something else. Really shitty design, as I had three visiting Miis and five bought heroes and wanted to show off SSF to a buddy real quick - came back to SP Quest and they were all gone without me using them.

bad-joey said:

It does say in the manual to turn the 3DS off to switch games...

gofreak said:
A small note on my Amazon woes - about 7 emails later they finally refunded the full delivery charge on all parts of my order.

So if you have similar problems with them, persistence may pay off...

Glad to hear that. What a mess.

FoxHimself said:
You must use them at once. You can't recieve Miis in the plaza and then do something else. Really shitty design, as I had three visiting Miis and five bought heroes and wanted to show off SSF to a buddy real quick - came back to SP Quest and they were all gone without me using them.

This happened in Face Raiders too. Took photos of someone else, but didn't play the game with them, instead went back to "Collection" and they had vanished.

-KRS-

KennyLinder said:

One of the new features of the DSi was being able to hot-swap carts. Surely they made it so for the 3DS as well?

Four days in, and Ridge Racer is currently sitting as my favourite launch title. It's so good. Especially in 50% 3D with a pair of full sized headphones pumping Ridge tracks directly into your brain.

Oh, and the DSi has taught me to not switch the machine off to switch games, and I've not been turning the 3DS off either. I've always completely quit out of games before switching cards though. Is the official line from Nintendo to shut your machine down?

Why are there two sections for your WIFI information?

Settings > Internet Settings > Nintendo DS Connections
Settings > Connection Settings (used this one for updating firmware)

Disguises

Cyport said:
Found this link for sharing and downloading other people's MPO pictures

3dporch.com
Hmmm....seems cool. I tried uploading one of mine here: http://3dporch.com/DDSR.mpo It looks pretty good viewed on the 3DS. (Minor spoilers for fishing AR game I guess!)
Might upload more later.
More here (AR spoilers): http://3dporch.com/users/Disguises

KennyLinder said:

EDIT: (better explanation) DS games can use the first, but not the second. DSi and 3DS can use both (I think).

meppi

Android18a said:
Four days in, and Ridge Racer is currently sitting as my favourite launch title. It's so good. Especially in 50% 3D with a pair of full sized headphones pumping Ridge tracks directly into your brain.
Been doing the exact same thing.
Quality Sennheiser headphones on and enjoying every minute of it.
The more I play it the more I start to love the game even more.
Still keep the slider at 100% myself though, haven't had any problems yet.

Android18a said:
Oh, and the DSi has taught me to not switch the machine off to switch games, and I've not been turning the 3DS off either. I've always completely quit out of games before switching cards though. Is the official line from Nintendo to shut your machine down?
That's how I do it as well.
But you have to make sure the software is fully closed before removing the cart.
So don't just press the Home button or close the DS and remove it, that will not be good for the game and the save data.

The manual is a bit confusing though.
The pamphlet that comes with it says to always shut off the system completely before removing carts.
Yet the actual manual says the following:

Removing game carts:

Do not remove the game card from the game card slot while the HOME Menu is displayed or until you turn the power to the system off.
(For suspended software titles, ensure you have closed the software before removing it)

So from that I make it that it's fine to remove carts that have been closed completely even though the system is not turned off, just like it was on the DSi.

KennyLinder said:
Are you sure it says turn off the 3DS and not just turn off the game? I've done it several times without any problems. My Chrono Trigger card had to be re-inserted for it to be detected, but other than that I've had no problems.

radioheadrule83 said:
Did you guys know you can convert those 'side-by-side' 3D images to MPO for viewing on the 3DS?

You just need to get them at the right resolution (400x240?), and use a utility like FujiFilm's FinePixViewer (http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/)... select two images of identical resolution and the option to combine them becomes available under Image Utilisation.

You can also use Stereo Photo Maker, which might be easier: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

You can convert your MPO files to normal side by side JPEGS, or red/cyan images etc using the MPO toolbox - http://www.stereoscopynews.com/download/software/654-mpo-toolbox.html

This is great. Thanks!

MNC

Is there any problem if I were to order a German 3DS? Language and shit can all be set, and the languages/manuals/boxes are in all EU languages right? (english, spanish, german, italian, etc) It's like 30€ cheaper on amazon.de

MNC said:
Is there any problem if I were to order a German 3DS? Language and shit can all be set, and the languages/manuals/boxes are in all EU languages right? (english, spanish, german, italian, etc) It's like 30€ cheaper on amazon.de
Yes, you can set the language on an European 3DS.

MNC said:
No problems, I have my German 3DS switched to English.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ok, the 3DS has vastly exceeded my expectations.

The screen really is gorgeous, the 3D demo video drops the jaw of everyone who has seen it. No problems with headaches, and the sweet spot isn't as fussy as I thought it would be.

Really like the look and feel of it as well (got the black one), but the main thing that has done it for me has been all the built in stuff. The AR games, Face Raiders, the menus, everything about it seems fresh. Everyone was taking turns on it and genuinely having a laugh, it's very Wii Sports in that sense. 2 of my friends went straight down town earlier after seeing it to buy one each.

To sum up, it basically feels like Nintendo's last stand against smartphones. Which fits with what Iwata had been saying. Giving you a different type of experience all round, and an experience beyond what you had before with a portable console.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes next.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
KennyLinder said:

I think it's because the DS couldn't use secure Wi-Fi, so it's for backward compatibility. A secondary connection as well as your main one.

Jubbly

Well I got super screwed by Amazon UK. Game, case and screen protector arrived on Saturday, but there was no 3DS inside. Contact them and now they say it'll be here tomorrow :|

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Disguises said:
This one any better? I think the hat does look better than the hair. :p
Ub118.jpg

Someone else can edit from there if they want :)
Whoops, I missed this. The hat is a great addition! I forgot there were hats as hairstyles :O
I'll toy around a bit more with this once I get back home :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
AR cards, especially graffiti, seems to be what I'll demo for people right off the bat. It's all pretty impressive. The most impressive 3D I've seen has to be the standard DS system menus, which is sort of funny.

The 3D, after about twenty minutes of play, does give me a bit of a nausea even on the lowest setting.. so I'm sure to only take it in small doses. Not like I need 3D on for Street Fighter as it is.

kamkor

Neo Member
Sorry if it's been mentioned before. I noticed it's possible to adjust 3ds pictures depth with thumbstick when viewing them as well.

Xater

kamkor said:
Sorry if it's been mentioned before. I noticed it's possible to adjust 3ds pictures depth with thumbstick when viewing them as well.

I did not know that.

The only problem I have with the system now is that there will not be a lot of games for a while. I am basically going to play Ghost Recon and regular DS games until RE: Mercenaries comes out in the summer. I really hope we get some cool announcements for Fall/Winter during E3.

Cyport

Putting mp3's in the DCIM folder will let you play them in the sound application. Visualizations are pretty neat, you'll have to check them out. You can also apply effects to your music.

meppi

kamkor said:

It's actually the focus point that you are adjusting.

The way it works is that you take an object you want to be the focal-point of the picture and you move the slider until both images of that object align.
Then you let go of the slider and the software will automatically adjust to the focal-point you chose. :)

Top Bottom