• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
VVVVV is a great game that everyone should download if they haven't played it already. I got stuck in the main game and just popped over to the player levels instead. I played the game for hours now and have enjoyed every single second of it. The music is great as well.

PKrockin

I really want some of these E-store games. I'm going to get Pushmo and a digital copy of SML2:6 Golden Coins.

What does GAF think of the following?
Megaman
Kirby's Adventure 3D
Kirby's Dreamland
Metroid II (I loved Fusion)
Link's Awakening
Donkey Kong

Any other great Estore games?

The bolded are must-haves. Kirby's Adventure is one of his better games and a very solid platformer. Dreamland is extremely short so I'd only get it if you're a big Kirby fan. Haven't played Mega Man or Metroid II.

Mario's Picross is great if you're interested but not convinced that Picross is your thing. It's basic but costs only a few bucks and took me 30 hours to complete without hints.

Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV and Pushmo are all worth buying, actually.
Apparently the entire DSiware and 3DS Virtual Console lineups are worthless too, according to Rez.
LzDDa.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EDIT- Oh its only ten bucks? Im willing to take one for the team.

Nice, let us know how it is.

I'm gonna pick up one more game tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should go for a 3DS game or a DS game I missed. I haven't played 999 yet so I might get that.

Boney

Banned
I finally got around to buying Star Fox and it's probably the best use of the GPU of any game I own (and I own more than I should, so I'm an expert). Its pretty fun too I guess.

you guess

Nice, let us know how it is.

I'm gonna pick up one more game tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should go for a 3DS game or a DS game I missed. I haven't played 999 yet so I might get that.

snuggly you did play ghost trick yes?

btw are you picking mario kart? pick mario kart

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
you guess

snuggly you did play ghost trick yes?

btw are you picking mario kart? pick mario kart

Have not played Ghost Trick, but it's on my buy list. Same with MK7, it's either that or OoT for my next 3DS purchase.

BTW, Super Mario Land is great, I love the 3D effect. I'm really liking this thing so far.

Boney

Banned
Have not played Ghost Trick, but it's on my buy list. Same with MK7, it's either that or OoT for my next 3DS purchase.

BTW, Super Mario Land is great so far, I love the 3D effect.

Jump on the Mario Kart craze and get Zelda when there's a sale

and ghost trick has a doggy name missile

PKrockin

I just bought Ghost Trick and am itching to play it but I'm pretty engrossed in 999 already.

The DS is really getting me more interested in adventure games.

BTW, Super Mario Land is great, I love the 3D effect. I'm really liking this thing so far.

Press down on the d-pad at the start of a level, you'll love it even more.

Wish the RPG category was more robust at this point, especially within the upcoming games. That said Beyond the Labyrinth looks interesting and I can't help but be hyped for Guild01 given Matsuno's role.

Is Tales of the Abyss a well regarded RPG? I never played it, thinking of picking up a 3DS once that’s out

Bumhead

Banned
Yes, I know.

Hence why I'm surprised there's so little talk about it.. seemingly anywhere.

Going to assume it's junk in that case but wondering if anyone here has played it.

Yes, I know.

Going to assume it's junk in that case but wondering if anyone here has played it.

It's decent, but incredibly repetitive. If you can get it for $20 or less, I'd recommend it.

Berordn

Yes, I know.

Ah, basically what Exterminieren said then. It's Pokémon Rumble with a little more. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one, but it's not worth the asking price for either, IMO.

Another recent 3DS owner who didn't experience any software prior to the Mario launches.

I've got Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Pilotwings. Anything else retail worth looking into if I'm not much of a strategy, racing, or fighting fan? Starfox 64 looks great but I've beaten that game plenty of times back in the day.

Kind of sucks that I've beaten most of the Ambassador games before too.

olimpia84

Man, I've been playing my 3DS more than ever these past two months. I decided to give Steel Diver a go today since I bought during Christmas from Best Buy (for 5 bucks you can't go wrong) and I'm loving it so far! Just played the first two levels but it's a great pick up and play type of game.

Boney

Banned
Another recent 3DS owner who didn't experience any software prior to the Mario launches.

I've got Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Pilotwings. Anything else retail worth looking into if I'm not much of a strategy, racing, or fighting fan? Starfox 64 looks great but I've beaten that game plenty of times back in the day.

Ace Combat is supposedely pretty good and Shinobi was good as well. They'll be dropping in price very soon I'd think so you might wanna hold off

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I upgraded from the original fat DS to the 3DS, so the estore in general is all stuff I've never had access to. I'm aware of Pushmo and am looking into Mighty Switch Force, but is there any good recommendations/sites to see what DSi stuff I missed out on?

Nano Assault is pretty great, and looks stunning to boot. Since you enjoyed Starfox 64, it'll probably be something you'll enjoy, and it retails for just $20 nowadays. Here's the OT for it, which has much more info:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453746

Tunavi

Banned
I upgraded from the original fat DS to the 3DS, so the estore in general is all stuff I've never had access to. I'm aware of Pushmo and am looking into Mighty Switch Force, but is there any good recommendations/sites to see what DSi stuff I missed out on?
I've heard good things about Kirby's Adventure 3d. I'm picking it up after I play SM3DL.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Got on a WiFi connection, so I'm downloading a few games. VVVVVV, Kirby's Adventure and Pushmo so far. Anything else I should check out? Has anyone tried FreakyForms?

watershed

Banned

Blackhead

Redarse
Alright I updated the future releases list. I was wondering if there are any other games that should be added to the list.

It's a good list. Rocket Slime is my killer game for the 3DSand I'll buy both when it's available.

Why am I not seeing Pro Evolution Soccer in this thread?

IrishNinja

I'll have a crack...

MUST-HAVES:

-Link's Awakening (GBC)
-Donkey Kong '94 (GB)

RECOMMENDED:

-Mario's Picross (GB)
-Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
-Metroid II (GB)
-Bionic Commando (GB)
-Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC)

WORTH A LOOK

-Super Mario Land (GB)
-Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
-Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
-Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
-Tetris (GB)

EH

-everything else

yeah, link's awakening, metroid 2 and Pushmo seem like must-haves from here, possibly pictobits too since i finally have a system to play it on (didn't GAF love that one?). should get around to Mario Land 2 one day, but after 3D land anyway.
here's to hoping DK '94 or something like it goes up on club nintendo next week!

prolly not the right thread to ask, but: i got a zelda edition 3DS, should i still be thinking about a screen protector or is that scratching problem no longer an issue? also, mario kart bouts have me debating the grips ive seen around here, but im told you cant use them with the nyko battery thing, so i guess id have to decide.

Super Mario Land 2 is much more than just "worth a look". Probably one of the most unique designed 2D Mario titles. Honestly I really don't think any other Mario plays like it. And that's in a good way (not like Super Mario Bros. 2 USA)

yeah, link's awakening, metroid 2 and Pushmo seem like must-haves from here, possibly pictobits too since i finally have a system to play it on (didn't GAF love that one?). should get around to Mario Land 2 one day, but after 3D land anyway.
here's to hoping DK '94 or something like it goes up on club nintendo next week!

prolly not the right thread to ask, but: i got a zelda edition 3DS, should i still be thinking about a screen protector or is that scratching problem no longer an issue? also, mario kart bouts have me debating the grips ive seen around here, but im told you cant use them with the nyko battery thing, so i guess id have to decide.

I'd get the Hori Screen protector for the sake of longevity. I bought mine with the system and I hardly notice they're there.

-KRS-

do you use the cradle? it takes (way)longer with cradle.
without cradle: >1hour
in cradle: 2hours+ or more

I've never used the cradle and it always takes like 3 hours to charge for me :S

Edit: damn those Starfox screens does not do that game any justice at all in my opinion. I seriously thought it was the N64 version at first, and I know that when I played the 3DS version for the first time I said "man this looks so much better that the N64 version". This seems strange.

IrishNinja

I'd get the Hori Screen protector for the sake of longevity. I bought mine with the system and I hardly notice they're there.

yeah, was thinking i might - there's a guy selling it in the buy/sell thread, might go jump on that.

left the cradle/charge at home - can i just use a micro or mini (forget which it is) USB and charge it from a PC? AC cable doesn't seem to wanna stay in even when i do have it.

PKrockin

I've never used the cradle and it always takes like 3 hours to charge for me :S

Edit: damn those Starfox screens does not do that game any justice at all in my opinion. I seriously thought it was the N64 version at first, and I know that when I played the 3DS version for the first time I said "man this looks so much better that the N64 version". This seems strange.

Yeah, it really does look a lot better in motion on the 3DS.

Sadly not even the downloadable trailer on the eShop does it justice because of all the compression.

olimpia84

Same with the Mario Kart 7 screens...in game it looks a million times better.

mozfan12

Banned
I was also really impressed with the improvement in the graphics for the LoZ: OoT 3D, so I'll have to check out Starfox 64. The videos do not give it justice, hoping for Majoras Mask and Wind Waker 3D, actually would love for a ton of GC games to get the treatment.

Tunavi

Banned
Getting SM3DL tomorrow.

Games I need to get:
Pushmo
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid II
Donkey Kong
Kirby’s Adventure 3D
Cave Story DSi
Soul Silver
Chrono Trigger
World Ends with You

Also, Is this basically the 3DS software OT?

I am kind of surprised how many games I have for this thing. Including the 20 ambassador games, I feel pretty backlogged already :( considering I got hooked on Zelda 2 of all things...not playing MK7, SM3DL, OOT, Shinobi, or anything...just Zelda 2, but it's really good haha

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I am kind of surprised how many games I have for this thing. Including the 20 ambassador games, I feel pretty backlogged already :( considering I got hooked on Zelda 2 of all things...not playing MK7, SM3DL, OOT, Shinobi, or anything...just Zelda 2, but it's really good haha

Have you bought Pushmo yet? Playing it right now and it owns, best puzzle game I've played since Critter Crunch.

IrishNinja

yeah Tunavi, my list is similar, just holing out for the 10th to make sure they dont offer any of those as club nintendo downloads first!

and yeah, gotta catch up on DS gaming: Last Window, Ghost Trick, Strange Journey, few others too.

Have you bought Pushmo yet? Playing it right now and it owns, best puzzle game I've played since Critter Crunch.

Yep, sitting on my home screen. Haven't been in the mood for a puzzle game lately, but I'll get around to it one day.

edit: oh shit, and I wanna get VVVVVV too. Tales and RE will be out before I make a dent in my collection. damn, 3DS has games.

Getting SM3DL tomorrow.

Games I need to get:
Pushmo
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid II
Donkey Kong
Kirby’s Adventure 3D
Cave Story DSi
Soul Silver
Chrono Trigger
World Ends with You

Also, Is this basically the 3DS software OT?

3D Land is one of the best handheld platformer, and dare I say "the best". The special worlds are where it's at though, so don't be disappointed if the first 8 worlds are easy.

Tunavi

Banned
yeah Tunavi, my list is similar, just holing out for the 10th to make sure they dont offer any of those as club nintendo downloads first!
I thought this too but then I realized, Since games are only ~$10, I don't think its worth wasting all your points for just that small amount of value. I think its more wise to spend points on the exclusive posters and handheld cards.

3D Land is one of the best handheld platformer, and dare I say "the best". The special worlds are where it's at though, so don't be disappointed if the first 8 worlds are easy.
hype get! I loved super mario land 2. Everyone should pick that up by the way. The game is awesome.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Yeah, 3D Land is fantastic. It's the best handheld platformer until Rayman Origins comes to 3DS (unless it's a shitty UbiPort).

As I mentioned above, I'm loving Pushmo as well, in addition to VVVVVV and Kirby's Adventure. Fun system.

IrishNinja

true, true. hey, as an aside - Jimmy Stav mentioned the hori screen protector, what are you guys using? i think dude in the buy/sell has the amazon one licensed by nintendo but reviews say it only covers the bottom screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom