• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS is now 5 years old (first launched on Feb 26th, 2011 in Japan)

2000px-Nintendo_3DS_%28logo%29.svg.png

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

Very interesting timing, well, aside from it being the 27th in Japan lol. :p

You know what that means? It's time to talk about our memories of the system and our fav games on it! :D

I still remember being so hyped for it back in 2010. I did like the 3D when I first saw it (funny enough I was most impressed with it in Super Monkey Ball 3D And Asphalt 3D of all things), eventually I got my first one in Christmas 2011 along with Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (I've since bought it digitally!). I also bought Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 right afterwards.

Only game I've 100% so far on 3DS is Super Mario 3D Land, I REALLY loved it!

Right now I'm really hooked on Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan. Got it for $10 (well, more in Canada grr...) on the eShop and after not really digging it after the demo years ago, I decided to play in Casual Mode and I'm VERY into it now! :D

Got such a huge backlog, both retail and digitally. But eh, that's not exactly uncommon. :)

This year I'm really looking forward to 7th Dragon III: Code VFD. I never would have imagined Sega bringing that over themselves, it felt like Atlus was doing it themselves ala Stella Glow (yes I'm aware Atlus USA and Sega of America are almost one and the same now :p).

What about you GAF? What are your 3DS memories? :)

L.O.R.D

love it
my first nintendo portable console since the GBA original

got it after they lower the price.
was shocked about the stupid region locked.

now i have O3DS blue.
Zelda ALBW 3DSXL
Blue New 3DSXL

all with CFW.

can't wait for pokemon moon.

i wish thy didn't fucked up the screen , i mean 240P ? really ?
also i feel the N3DSXL is downgrade from the O3DSXL.

backlot

I remember when the announced the Gameboy VC. I checked the shop updates every week hoping for Pokemon Red and Blue to be released. It felt more like 10 years to be honest.

Zalman

I didn't get a 3DS until the XL came out, but I thought that was the perfect timing. I got it with Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Kid Icarus Uprising and New Super Mario Bros. 2. I've loved it since then. I currently have about 30 games for it and it's my most played current system.

AdanVC

Respect for this lil handheld. It had everything against it when it launched and despite of that it has managed to survive and being relevant after 5 years, even more now with the upcoming Pokémon games.

I love the 3DS, it's my favorite Nintendo handheld since the original Gameboy. So many great games available and a few more still to come.

Thoraxes

I just realized I sold off two of the three launch games I bought,

I got Street Fighter IV, Nintendogs, and Lego Star Wars. I'm glad the lineup got better lol.

Also having OOT 3D come out on my birthday in NA was pretty awesome.

As for this year? Well, I think I have at least 10 3DS games on my list for purchase this year, with Fire Emblem (yeah, all three versions), FF Explorers, and the Mega Man Legacy Collection being 3 of those i've already gotten.

Lingitiz

I have an absolutely absurd backlog for this thing that i'll never get through.

Also, 3DS's 2013 is probably one of the best single years for a system. So many good games came out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I found the 3D to be complete garbage. I turned it off for about 95% of the games I've played. It made me feel dizzy, even nauseous at times. But I've come to really like it now thanks to the N3DS, the 3D actually works for me and doesn't break on the slightest of movements.

Assuming the NX doesn't have 3D (which I think is a pretty safe assumption) I'll actually miss it which I didn't really think was possible just a year or so ago.

The system itself has been enjoyable, I've certainly got more mileage out of it than my Wii U but it was basically impossible for it to live up to how awesome the DS was, especially considering how Western companies basically bailed on handhelds completely when the 3DS flopped out of the gate.

It's a great follow up to my favorite console of all time. Awesome system. Hopefully it gets as much support next year as it has this year.

Still have my Ambassador 3DS.

Gave me some truly amazing games and memories. Kid Icarus: Uprising is quite possibly one of the best handheld games ever. Small stuff like Gunvolt and Rhythm Thief were excellent, and we got small, experimental IPs from Nintendo like Pushmo and Harmoknight. I can't believe the system's been out for 5 years. When I go through the eShop I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Maybe it wasn't quite the blockbuster as the DS was, but the 3DS has been a solid system with a really great lifespan.

jblank83

It's the kind of system I can see myself still using 10 years from now. With the DS and 3DS library, it's got so much I can replay, from Chrono Trigger to Ocarina of Time to all the Castlevanias, and on and on. Then there's the excellent emulation work being done in the homebrew scene.

I've honestly thought about buying a spare or two, because some day Nintendo will completely end support for the hardware.

The 3DS has my favorite entries in a bunch of my favorite series. It may not have the massive library the DS did, but man do I love what it does have. Excellent system. Nintendo really knocked it out of the park software-wise.

Flarin

My favorite handheld system ever. Love the look, feel and library. So many incredible games across so many genres. I'm currently going for a complete collection. Should be a fun bunch of years collecting for it!

Favorite Games:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Mario Kart 7
Bravely Default
before the final chapter
Pokemon X/Y
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

So many more awesome ones to come. Thank you Nintendo for an amazing way to play great games.

The 3DS is one of my favourite systems of all time. I still find the 3D effect astonishing and the New 3DS has made it near perfect. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is one of the best games I've ever played and the system has the definitive versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Kid Icarus Uprising is up there with the best portable games ever developed, the system saved Fire Emblem, its the first Nintendo handheld to get a Smash Bros game, there's been a ton of great RPGs and new IPs like Pullblox and all in all...I love the 3DS.

Tizoc

Was just about to make a thread :p
Only reason i didn't make one earlier is because I had family from abroad visiting.

Mario 3D Land is one of my fav. 3DS games and this year looks to feature some kickass titles too.

Shame about the region locking though, but otherwise I love this little fellow for the most part.

Own two (soon three!) and I still play them practically every day. Best Nintendo handheld yet.

I'm gonna be so sad when it's phased out. :(

Nintendo's output on it was great, however it unfortunately has the same issues most Nintendo consoles have... that being poor 3rd party support. I'm still getting good usage out of it, however I've delved into the OG DS' lineup now more than anything. Without backwards capability I wouldn't be able to do so though, so I can't complain about my purchase.

I was sold on the system when I saw how awesome OoT 3D looked on my friend's 3DS! Never imagined I'd be able to play Zelda games that looked so damn good on such a small console. Unfortunately the only game that was able to match that graphical fidelity was Majora's Mask 3D :p

EDIT: I take back that statement. Kid Icarus Uprising was fantastic :)

Now that the 3DS has a pretty significant library that's been established over the past few years, I've been picking up tons of physical copies of games for it lately in deals, so far I've got:

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Shovel Knight
Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
Virtue's Last Reward
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Mario Open Tennis
Starfox 64 3D

Fantastic system, and the DS backwards compatibility is the icing on the cake! 26 DS games now and counting.

Combined with the DS library it has arguably the best handheld library.

Little list of my GOTYs over time:

2011 - Super Mario 3D Land
2012 - Kid Icarus Uprising
2013 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2014 - Bravely Default
2015 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Looking forward to a lot in 2016.

I have about 20 physical games for New 3DS XL, and there are still many more that I haven't even picked up.

This year has a surprising number of quality titles, too. I'm particularly interested in Bravely Second, Dragon Quest VII, Zero Escape 3, SMT IV Final, and 7th Dragon III: Code VFD.

This system is just filled with quality games.

It feels like the DS did at this point. I honestly haven't touched my 3DS since the summer (it was still charged, I was impressed) but I'll come back for the big releases of course. Still need to get Fates.

But yeah, I sorely need a new handheld. Those screens have not aged gracefully in our HD cellphone world.

Imagine if Fire Emblem Fates had the same quality as its prerendered cutscenes.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
A downgrade recently failed so I lost homebrew. Other than that, the 3DS is cool.

Nintendo's output on it was great, however it unfortunately has the same issues most Nintendo consoles have... that being poor 3rd party support. I'm still getting good usage out of it, however I've delved into the OG DS' lineup now more than anything. Without backwards capability I wouldn't be able to do so though, so I can't complain about my purchase.

I was sold on the system when I saw how awesome OoT 3D looked on my friend's 3DS! Never imagined I'd be able to play Zelda games that looked so damn good on such a small console. Unfortunately the only game that was able to match that graphical fidelity was Majora's Mask 3D :p

EDIT: I take back that statement. Kid Icarus Uprising was fantastic :)
It was pretty grand to start with. Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 3D (the best version in my opinion from a gameplay perspective), Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition, Professor Layton Games, Ace Attorney Games, Cave Story 3D, Monster Hunter games, Ghost Recon, Etrian Odyssey games and a ton more. Its certainly died down to the niche 3rd parties in recent years but 2 Resident Evil games was amazing for this little handheld, even if the bigger one got ported to other systems.

Now that the 3DS has a pretty significant library that's been established over the past few years, I've been picking up tons of games for it lately in deals, so far I've got:

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Shovel Knight
Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask
Virtue's Last Reward
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Mario Open Tennis
Starfox 64 3D

Fantastic system, and the DS backwards compatibility is the icing on the cake! 26 DS games now and counting.

Lots of good stuff there. Make sure to grab Kid Icarus Uprising and the Fire Emblem games!

massoluk

Banned
I have an absolutely absurd backlog for this thing that i'll never get through.

Also, 3DS's 2013 is probably one of the best single years for a system. So many good games came out.

For real, it's not as if I got bored by many of these games, I just have to play the new ones that keep getting released. It's not as if it has more games than the DS, but the pacing of its library release was kinda insane at one point that I'm still lagging behind. A situation I didn't think I'd be in after the initial drought.

Drago

Man, time flies. 5 years... still remember getting it at launch and being absolutely amazed by the 3D. Took a while for it to really grt going but it's had a really great run so far, and this year is looking like it'll be the best one since 2013 for the system. Library hasn't been without its fair share of disappointments but for the most part it just has tons of quality titles. Lots of good stuff to look forward to even with a successor soon on the way.

Kid Icarus Uprising is still my favorite game on the system, probably my favorite Nintendo game of the generation. Link Between Worlds is right behind it. So fuckin good.

Neoxon

The 3DS certainly had a wonderful run. And as we approach what may very well be the end for the system, I can't help but look back at some of the wonderful games that have come out on the system. If nothing else, Nintendo's looking to ensure that the 3DS goes out with a bang as the NX Platform looms in on the horizon.

I have 3:
OG Blue metallic
OG Red metallic
New 3ds black

My favorite games on it are:
Kid Icarus Uprising
3D Space Harrier
3D After Burner II
3D OutRun
Theatrythm
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Starfox 64

There are still tons of games out and coming that keep me coming back.

I've never been a big Picross guy, but I've been watching gameplay footage for Picross 3D and it has me intrigued. Plus, it's the Air Ride team, right? Can't go wrong with that!

EDI: Also, worth noting that I have the Majora's Mask 3ds xl

-shadow-

Five years eh? The last few years have all been a blur for various reasons and it's hard to believe that it's been that long already. Still got my OG3DS and Ambassador games. Been looking into replacing it with a N3DS because it's really started to show its age. Can't wait for E3 what Nintendo has in stores this time!

Nintendo managed to turn it around after the fiasco that was the launch, so kudos to them.

Bought mine the day before FE:A, played over 200 hours of that.

Fantastic console, probably my favorite next to the Dreamcast. Offers a little bit of everything, but obviously excels at RPGs. Can't believe I can play Xenoblade, Resident Evil, 3D Mario, Street Fighter, Star Fox and Dragon Quest VIII on the go. 12 year old me would shit his pants

AEsybh7.jpg

SalvaPot

So many hours playing this gem, it is always with me whenever I go. Got my first XL for $150 when it released (I can't remember why it was cheap), and then upgraded to the New 3DS.

Fantastic console, probably my favorite next to the Dreamcast. Offers a little bit of everything, but obviously excels at RPGs. Can't believe I can play Xenoblade, Resident Evil, 3D Mario, Street Fighter, Star Fox and Dragon Quest VIII on the go. 12 year old me would shit his pants

AEsybh7.jpg
I need a bigger SD card so I can compete with the glory of this backlog :p

I remember buying it on launch day and having people tell me what a mistake I made etc, so glad things picked up for it!. Fantastic library of games, might revisit a few before its phased out.

Dishwalla

Banned
Remember going to pick one up the morning it came out and settling for Street Fighter, since there was very little else for it at the time. Thing was pretty much useless until Ocarina 3D came out a few months later, should've just stuck with my DS Lite.

I bought Street Fighter IV and Ridge Racer at launch. After about 2 months, I bought Pilot Wings, because that's really all there was. I thought Pilot Wings was boring as hell and traded it in to get Shinobi, which also sucked, so I later traded that in and got Tetris Axis, which was not so bad, but not as good as Tetris DS.

The 3DS has been my favorite system of the generation and I've played it more than 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, and Wii U, but it really pales in comparison to the DS. I have maybe twice as many DS games (over 50). There was a big decrease in Japanese games brought over and I think Nintendo was a bit more conservative with what they made for the system.

Bring on the NX handheld!

Top Bottom