• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

enishi

Oh, why people are saying that the 1:1 DS game feature not included in manual?

I checked it once again and it is on page 45...

mehdi_san said:
I'm having a lot more fun with the AR applications than what I expected. I especially like the 3D drawing one, I think some people will make amazing things with it.
oqbx29.jpg

mehdi_san said:
They are actual polygons in 3D, but you can only draw in 2D (in the XY plane) and the 3DS automatically adds the depth (in the Z direction) to make them 3D.

I remember reading in the manual you can use cards up to 32GB.

OMG FLIPNOTE 3D OMG!!!

Marty Chinn said:
WTF happened to his DS Lite? Mine is nothing like that. Is anyone else having their 3DS lid act the same way?

My DSL's lid is fine, and I can't imagine why something like that would happen to it since the system doesn't have gyro or waggle. Maybe he played it too much on horseback :p

PKrockin

Marty Chinn said:
WTF happened to his DS Lite? Mine is nothing like that. Is anyone else having their 3DS lid act the same way?

My DS Lite had such a stiff hinge that I actually broke it opening it all the way to the 180 degree position. My replacement isn't quite THAT stiff, but there's still not much give to it either.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Marty Chinn said:
Not loosey goosey as that, but sometimes the picture on my DS Lite will not come in at all(white screen gibberish) and I will have to wiggle the hinge until it does.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
One bummer about the 3D camera is that it doesn't work in portrait mode.

Which means you can't take 3D photos in portrait mode. And I presume no brain training type games in 3D if they're going to design them a la book mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
but real life is 3D and so is lenticular cards how is this possible they're the same thing!

I'm just so glad Nintendo put in that slider. Worthless feature that 3D, especially when you combine it with the performance upgrades some games have or the fact that if you didn't utilize 3D the games would look better across the board.
The best part is that I bet most games are targeted to support 3D. Whereas in theory they could have had better assets if targeted for 2D. So even if you play solely in 2D you won't be getting the best the system could offer you. It might be too much to hope that devs optimise for both modes. Maybe the silver lining is some games will be faster (60fps) in 2D mode

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mrklaw said:
The best part is that I bet most games are targeted to support 3D. Whereas in theory they could have had better assets if targeted for 2D. So even if you play solely in 2D you won't be getting the best the system could offer you. It might be too much to hope that devs optimise for both modes. Maybe the silver lining is some games will be faster (60fps) in 2D mode

Yes, having more system resources would enable better graphics. If I recall correctly, Nintendo doubled the system's power specifically because of 3D.

If it didn't have 3D, and I'm right about the above, it would be similar to what you're already getting, without the 2D.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I expect more games are going to only be in 2D in the future (Sort of like how the Mic use of the DS really died down, and people finally realized they didn't have to use the touchscreen)

I wonder if developers will find a way to make only certain effects 3D (Like a 2D RPG with some 3D special effects) and not eat away at the GPU performance.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Very nice that there's a 1:1 DS mode. Since the 3DS resolution isn't much larger than the DS', any scaling will produce unsightly artifacts - might actually be fine in 3D polygon games, but any HUD elements, text and sprites which are meant to be crisp would look poorly.

Question on the 1:1 DS mode. When you touch the black parts of the screen what happens? Like if I wanted to put in FFIII and use the touch controls to move, will the character still move even if I go off the DS screen?

I'm very intrigued by the capabilities of the AR.

can two 3DS' communicate with each other via AR? I'm not a Pokemon freak, but the possibilities for AR battling would be tremendous.

mehdi_san said:
I'm having a lot more fun with the AR applications than what I expected. I especially like the 3D drawing one, I think some people will make amazing things with it.
oqbx29.jpg

Ok, that's killer up material right there! I've been on the fence lately but I'm slowly considering buying the 3DS (if it doesn't sell out completely, that is)

Nessus

Sorta disappointing that something like the Mario AR card doesn't just let you move him around like in Mario 64.

It'd be so cool to try to define different planes with multiple cards, set them up on like books, and then have Mario jump from one to the other.

Set up a 2 player game where you chase the other player around in this little arena you make out of household objects..

Given what we've seen of the system's capabilities it should be possible.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I need confirmation of this, stat!

Why not just make it an option in the menu? Why make something like this so obscure?
While I agree it makes more sense as a menu thing, it's not unlike the way you could choose color palettes for GB games on GBC, or the way that the stretch mode for GB games on GBA was controlled by a shoulder button.
Gahiggidy said:
Any reason they couldn't use the facing camera to automatically measure the distance between a players eyes and the inches from the screen and adjust the 3d effect accordingly?
I suppose if it could accurately detect the size of the eyes and measure the space in between it could do something with that information. But do you have an application in mind? A game that tells you occasionally to stick your face right up to the screen?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nessus said:
Sorta disappointing that something like the Mario AR card doesn't just let you move him around like in Mario 64.
They need to sell you stuff on 3DSWare too.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
JoshuaJSlone said:

I suppose if it could accurately detect the size of the eyes and measure the space in between it could do something with that information. But do you have an application in mind? A game that tells you occasionally to stick your face right up to the screen?
Well, how about a detective game where you move in closer to examine objects? Like reading an inscription on the back of a watch.

But, my original idea was more for future 3D screens, that might be able to track the user's eyes and position to let you view the image at wider angles to the screen and create a more accurate 3D effect.
DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm very intrigued by the capabilities of the AR.

can two 3DS' communicate with each other via AR? I'm not a Pokemon freak, but the possibilities for AR battling would be tremendous.
Yeah, tis sounds awesome. I'd like to see people use the same AR card(s) on two or more 3DS and see if the systems generate the AR stuff while keeping the positions/angles relative to each other. Does it use the edges of the cards for positioning? In other words, does rotating the card also rotate the 3D models?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
donkey show said:
Faith restored :bow

Nintendo can do a lot of things wrong, but I'm glad that not offering a workaround for something as simple as this isn't one of them! I was literally about to go out shopping for a DSi, but not anymore, the 3DS is back to day 1.

(this is why I hate Internet FUD btw, I almost paid for that mistake)

OK, so we've been seeing 3D pictures for a while now... has anyone tried to take a picture of a 3DS game with another 3DS's camera? I realize the quality wouldn't be so hot, but people have for some time thought that would be our best bet at capturing such images since Nintendo doesn't seem to want them released that way, and 3DS is now a pretty accessible 3D camera.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Well, the AR cards and cameras themselves wouldn't be the mode of communication, but I can think of no reason multiple 3DSes couldn't wirelessly communicate as they always do, and both be using their own cameras and AR cards to display a similar scene from a different angle.

BooJoh said:
For anyone that has messed around with it, where do the hats and accessories you get from StreetPass Quest show up? Just within StreetPass quest, or also in the Mii Plaza, maybe even the friends list?

StreetPass Quest and StreetPass Puzzle are both part of the Mii Plaza program, and the hats you unlock there are visible anywhere within that program. The hats do not appear on the friends list.

1-D_FTW

I NEED SCISSORS said:
If your eyes become used to it, is there any chance of them fucking up in the long term?

I don't want "DS eye".

I've seen a couple articles since 3DS was announced (that I thought were going to be sensationalist) and optometrists were basically saying the opposite: issues with 3D are caused by weak eyes. If anything you'll strengthen your eyes according to these guys.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ryan-ts said:
So 1:1 DS games, expandable menus, mii QR codes and a badass AR game...the 3DS is a lot cooler then it was 24 hours ago.

It was starting to wane but with all of this news my hype is through the roof right now.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ryan-ts said:
So 1:1 DS games, expandable menus, mii QR codes and a badass AR game...the 3DS is a lot cooler then it was 24 hours ago.
Actually all these were already known from the pieces of info we got here and there. We just needed confirmation for some.

1-D_FTW said:
I've seen a couple articles since 3DS was announced (that I thought were going to be sensationalist) and optometrists were basically saying the opposite: issues with 3D are caused by weak eyes. If anything you'll strengthen your eyes according to these guys.

God help us all if the media gets wind of the 3DS strengthens eyes if Nintendo was a shady company they would have used that claim by now lol

king zell

so what type of video files does the system play? anyone answered that already?

can anyone make a video for the video playback future in the system?

Ramenman

I didn't know about Nintendogs AR ! Holy crap this is basically the only app/game right now to provide you with an AR object that's animated for real. I'm totally gonna buy it now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
king zell said:
so what type of video files does the system play? anyone answered that already?

can anyone make a video for the video playback future in the system?

You people are so gredy...we just got mp3 playback, and now you demand mp4 video support ? :lol

No, to be real - i dont think it support any video playback, they would have stated it on their official fact-sheet. Which is typical, every mobile device nowadays supports mp4...so why would be expect such a feature on 3DS ?

Got my iphone and my PSP GO for mp4 videos though.

Ramenman

Smiles and Cries said:
God help us all if the media gets wind of the 3DS strengthens eyes if Nintendo was a shady company they would have used that claim by now lol

Eyes Training : Train Your Eyes In Minutes A Day !

(I mean, they did release a "Face Training", anything is possible).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
cw_sasuke said:
You people are so gredy...we just got mp3 playback, and now you demand mp4 video support ? :lol
You think asking for industry standards (for many, many years) is being "greedy"? Ok :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
king zell said:

I'd like a photo of the 3DS in "1:1 DS Mode" next to the various DS units. What is the actual size of a non-stretched DS game versus it being played on the other units?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
king zell said:
Suddenly I feel that 1:1 DS gaming on the 3DS is not as satisfying when the display area is less than 3 inches. There's just no easy way to satisfy this kid.

Luigiv

DavidDayton said:
I'd like a photo of the 3DS in "1:1 DS Mode" next to the various DS units. What is the actual size of a non-stretched DS game versus it being played on the other units?
No need. The bottom screen is approximately the same size as a DS phat/lite, so you can already see.

Top Bottom