• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

sasimirobot

I finally got it today!!

So I have to ask. It comes charged right? It won't turn on, and I don't think it will charge because the voltage in China is different right?

I guess I have to go search for a power adapter of some kind. Is the DS charger the same as the 3DS one?

So confused now...

sasimirobot said:
So I have to ask. It comes charged right? It won't turn on, and I don't think it will charge because the voltage in China is different right?
LOL I have no idea if that's true or false but I still laughed.

Clipper

sasimirobot said:
I finally got it today!!

I guess I have to go search for a power adapter of some kind. Is the DS charger the same as the 3DS one?

So confused now...
The 3DS is from Japan, not China. Japan and China are completely different countries with different socket types and stuff. However, Japan and the US share both plugs and voltage, so you should be fine (assuming you are in the US).

And it seems like it typically comes with a half-charge, but there is a good chance it could have been drained before you got it too.

Finally, you do know that you won't be able to play 3DS games you bought in the States on it, right?

Edit: And just for completeness, the DSi charger is the same as the 3DS. The DS/DS Lite charger was different.

Edit 2: Oops, I didn't even consider that you might be in China until reading the post below. Yes, you will need a voltage converter, but it might be easier for you to just get a DSI charging cable for USB, China or even Australia.

sasimirobot said:
I finally got it today!!

So confused now...

It comes with 100~120V adapter. If you at China, you should use 220V->110V on the wall first.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
FTH said:
Apparently the load times for original DS games increase by about 30% due to emulation :/

Still one of the 3DS' biggest weaknesses IMO, there's a chart on it somewhere I can dig up...

EDIT: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2011/61/nintendo3dsloadtimes_01694_screen.jpg

It really sucks because I think most of my gaming on 3DS for this entire year will be mostly original DS games. Hopefully it isn't as big a deal as I'm making it but...

1) it's startup times, even they said once the game actually boots it's just like the original.

2) it looks like it adds 5 seconds regardless of the original time, rather than a % based on it.

It's probably just the 5 seconds needed to change to DS mode or boot up an emulator or whatever method it uses for backwards compatibility. I don't see the big deal.

Alextended said:
1) it's startup times, even they said once the game actually boots it's just like the original.

2) it looks like it adds 5 seconds regardless of the original time, rather than a % based on it.

It's probably just the 5 seconds needed to change to DS mode or boot up an emulator or whatever method it uses for backwards compatibility. I don't see the big deal.
If that's true, then I don't feel as bad for not having my DS Lite anymore.

Got these Famistu review scores from a nintendo fansite, dunno if they're real:

Dead or Alive: Dimensions (3DS) – 9/9/9/9
The Sims 3 (3DS) – 7/7/6/7
Rabbids Travel in Time 3DS (3DS) – 7/7/6/7

vectorman06 said:

if you mean nintendoeverything they are quite credible.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can't wait for my copy to show up, if it's delayed I don't mind though. (From Play-Asia).

daffy

Banned
Alextended said:

Yep, someone cleared it up for me on the last page. I should've looked up the source of the chart before I believed it. It was posted by a fellow GAF member and I should've done some research after I saw it. Oh well, its all good now!

sasimirobot

Clipper said:
The 3DS is from Japan, not China. Japan and China are completely different countries with different socket types and stuff. However, Japan and the US share both plugs and voltage, so you should be fine (assuming you are in the US).

Finally, you do know that you won't be able to play 3DS games you bought in the States on it, right?

Edit: And just for completeness, the DSi charger is the same as the 3DS. The DS/DS Lite charger was different.

Edit 2: Oops, I didn't even consider that you might be in China until reading the post below. Yes, you will need a voltage converter, but it might be easier for you to just get a DSI charging cable for USB, China or even Australia.

Yeah sorry all. I live in China and can read Japanese so that is not really the problem.

It seems that since my 3DS was held up at customs the first time, the second time the battery was removed. I had to hunt down a tiny screwdriver to confirm.

Oh well. Having the unit in hand is cool enough I guess...

sasimirobot said:
Yeah sorry all. I live in China and can read Japanese so that is not really the problem.

It seems that since my 3DS was held up at customs the first time, the second time the battery was removed. I had to hunt down a tiny screwdriver to confirm.

If you use a DSi power cable, it *might* let you play the system without a battery. Not sure, though.

Izayoi

Banned
sasimirobot said:

Wow that's fucking horrible.

You can get replacement batteries from Nintendo on the cheap IIRC.

vectorman06 said:

Wow at DOA!

any japanese tv advert vids about?

sasimirobot

taoboa.com sells the 3DS battery for 2.89$US.

I might just buy 3/4 of them and ship some out to you guys. PM me.

Oh yeah. I need to thank FinalFantasyDog for the 3DS hookup!!

There were no cheeto stains to be seen anywhere...

sasimirobot said:

I wonder where is your 3DS come from? First hand retail packaged? Or... lol
How could it be no battery inside?

sasimirobot said:

battery page Link? A few of those could come in handy

wonderfuldays said:
I wonder where is your 3DS come from? First hand retail packaged? Or... lol
How could it be no battery inside?
EMS, the most common international shipping company used in Japan, no longer allows shipment of lithium batteries, lithium-ion batteries and products with built-in those batteries outside the country (due to Customs laws?) The 3DS of course has such a thing inside it.

Dreamwriter said:
EMS, the most common international shipping company used in Japan, no longer allows shipment of lithium batteries, lithium-ion batteries and products with built-in those batteries outside the country (due to Customs laws?) The 3DS of course has such a thing inside it.

I heard about lithium battery restriction before. It gets a lot of troubles if you wanna EMS stuff like 3DS by yourself. Thanks~

Dreamwriter said:
Why's that?

slopeslider said:
Why's that?
Wasn't there a bomb scare with batteries recently? I don't remember the specifics but I know US Customs doesn't want Joe Shmoe sending a small package with a battery because it could be a bomb since a smaller package is harder to track. With bigger international shipments though, someone's using a broker to get shit Customs cleared and there's a decent enough paper trail. Some of this is speculation on my part.

DR2K

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
Noooo! I had a DS Lite that I traded in towards the 3DS. :( I may have to pick another one up now.

30% extra added to 0-1 seconds is not that big of a deal.

Izayoi

Banned
sasimirobot said:

PM sent.

the-iek

Yeah, why wouldn't it? I scanned the code and saved it with a picture of Reggie's Mii next to it for the people who don't own a 3DS yet.

reggiege8s.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh so Reggie changed his Mii. He used to use the big lips.

Not too worried about Pilotwings being short. Getting it for £10 so I should be getting my money's worth.

farnham

Banned
so i preordered my 3ds at amazon.co.uk

i chose SSFIV, Pilotwings and Monkey ball all in all ill have to pay 322 Euros

is this a good choice ?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ubisoft - hard to imagine scenario where 3DS 'isn't bigger than the original'
“Given the innovation that’s inside a 3DS and what it has to offer, it’s difficult to imagine a scenario where the 3DS isn’t bigger than the original. We’re expecting the 3DS to have a broad consumer appeal from launch and, as such, have ensured we offer a variety of titles. We’ve historically been a leader in games developed for new Nintendo platforms, and with eight games available during launch and more to come, we hope to maintain this position. Nintendo is offering more than just something that appeals to the core gamer. 3D itself will be a massive draw, but also with its connected digital features that allow not just social gaming gaming experiences, but also the ability to download and consume much more. We’d expect 3DS to compete strongly in the broader handheld category, offering a wide range of good reasons for consumers to purchase it. All of which is brilliant news for third party publishers.” - Ubisoft brand manager Jan Sanghera

Effect

marc^o^ said:
Ubisoft - hard to imagine scenario where 3DS 'isn't bigger than the original'
“Given the innovation that’s inside a 3DS and what it has to offer, it’s difficult to imagine a scenario where the 3DS isn’t bigger than the original. We’re expecting the 3DS to have a broad consumer appeal from launch and, as such, have ensured we offer a variety of titles. We’ve historically been a leader in games developed for new Nintendo platforms, and with eight games available during launch and more to come, we hope to maintain this position. Nintendo is offering more than just something that appeals to the core gamer. 3D itself will be a massive draw, but also with its connected digital features that allow not just social gaming gaming experiences, but also the ability to download and consume much more. We’d expect 3DS to compete strongly in the broader handheld category, offering a wide range of good reasons for consumers to purchase it. All of which is brilliant news for third party publishers.” - Ubisoft brand manager Jan Sanghera

I really wish the part in the second bold read "range of quality titles" instead. Screw variety if they're all of questionable to horrible quality.

paranoidfortean said:
anyone that's had street fighter since launch want to speak to it's lasting appeal?
Gameplay-wise it's pretty much the exact same game as the console games, so you can get a good idea by looking up reviews on Super Street Fighter IV for PS3 and XBox 360. I mean, the differences between the console and handheld woudn't affect lasting appeal at all.

Effect said:
I really wish the part in the second bold read "range of quality titles" instead. Screw variety of they're all of questionable to horrible quality.
Well, we know they aren't all of questionable to horrible quality, as Rayman 2 is apparently just like the Dreamcast version but with some frame-rate drops here and there.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gravijah said:
I had a dream a Japanese 3DS arrived at my house... and I couldn't see the 3D. :(

lol :) Had a similar dream last weekend to where I couldn't see the 3D either. Actually worried me when I came across an actual 3DS at my Best Buy. Thankfully my worries have been put to rest.

Izayoi

Banned
Cross-posting more impressions:

~ 3DS Home Menu and Software ~

- Home Menu:

The interface is very snappy, and the 3D menus and info on top looks top notch. Very easy to navigate and does not come across as bloated, even though it might seem that way just looking at it. You can customize it all the way up to 6-8 rows of icons if so you choose. The smallest was really, really small. I think that most people will probably end up using four or five rows.

- 3D Camera:

Works great, despite the low resolution. I snapped a photo of the clerk (who seemed awfully surprised by the fact that I was in the home menu - apparently Nintendo gave them no instructions on how to boot into it should they need to) holding out her hand and the effect was really good. Not much else to say about it, by now most have seen the images it produces. Not awful but not breathtaking. It works and it's fun, and I suppose that's what matters.

- 3DS Sound:

With no access to the SD slot my time here was fairly limited. I did record me blowing into the microphone and put various filters over it, though. They seem to work well enough. Couldn't figure out how to get into visualizer mode.

One thing to note here is that in the options it gives you three output modes:

Mono
Stereo
Surround

Have we known that it was capable of surround sound? I should've brought my cans with me, I would've loved to hear how it sounded.

- AR Games:

Printed out the replacement cards from Nintendo's website and brought them with me. It works great, and the 3D is very nice. The combination of the subtle 3D from the cameras and the very pronounced 3D from the games looks fantastic. It was a little difficult playing with the tether attached, which not only restricted movement but also got in the way of the cameras, but it was still manageable.

I played Target Shooting and the pool golf thing. For Target Shooting, the clerk I mentioned before took turns with me and one of us held up the card while the other shot at the targets. Very cool effects, and the 3D was surprisingly easy to maintain, even while moving around. Pool was definitely different, but the way it created the 3D landscapes out of the background was impressive.

After that I toyed with the photo modes. Managed to cram probably over a dozen Miis on screen and take a picture. Framerate definitely took a hit but it was still neat. The really cool one was the Star pictures, where you used the other AR cards to place the characters on each and pose them. I wish I had printed out a full page Samus card and brought that one with me as well.

- Face Raiders:

Spent only about three minutes with this one. The tether just made it too difficult to play properly. The little bit that I did play though was very impressive and I can't wait to try it out with no restrictions. Face mapped perfectly and the way it used depth data to blow holes in objects that were actually there in the real world was awesome. Really, really want to try this one again.

- Usage Stats:

I fucking love this stuff, and they handle it way better than they did on the Wii. Easily sortable and readable, with charts and all kinds of fancy things to track how much time you've spent with the system and your games. Also has charts for the pedometer.

- Settings Menu:

Tons and tons of options in here. From a mode to help you adjust the 3D to your like to a circle pad recalibration function. There were four pages of options, IIRC. Didn't look through them all but I'm very happy to see that Nintendo didn't pull any punches. A DSLite this ain't.

~ Pilotwings ~

- Controls:

Controls are perfect. The slide pad makes this game. Smooth and very responsive, it makes playing the game a breeze. The d-pad changes the camera angle and lets you get a good look around, but what I didn't know until today is that X let's you toggle viewpoints, from the standard 3rd person follow-cam to first person and top-down. Keep that in mind if you're planning on visiting a demo station in the future.

- Visuals:

It's no Resident Evil or Metal Gear, but it still looks great. It didn't seem like it was pushing a ton of geometry, but the textures and effects were fantastic, especially the lighting. Playing with the time of day set to evening was awesome. Can't wait to see what nighttime looks like.

- 3D:

Very strong, and awesome. Especially in first person mode. The 3D really takes the visuals from "pretty good" to "holy shit". Buzzing the ground while in first person mode with the 3D slider cranked is fantastic. No problems with headaches or eye strain.

- Gameplay:

It's definitely Pilotwings. If you liked the N64 version you'll like this just as well. I can't wait to get my hands on it come launch, even if the game is shallow as far as content goes. Free flight mode is what I always messed around in on the N64 version and I imagine that it won't be very different here.

-----

Overall, I once again had a lot of fun. It was cool to get reactions from people when I let them mess around with the AR stuff. I think that AR is going to be the biggest selling point for the system for the mass market. Even this one kid's grandmother was impressed. If Nintendo handles this right, they've got a huge hit on their hands. I have a feeling that word of mouth and people showing their friends and family the system, though, is what's going to have the biggest effect. Once more and more people get their hands on this thing it's going to start selling like wildfire.

Anyway, that's it. If you've got any questions feel free to ask. I messed around with pretty much everything.

Top Bottom