• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Quick question: are saves saved in the SD card, or are they still saved in cartridges? If they're saved in SD card, this will make next mainline Pokemon games interesting.

swerve

Ookami-kun said:
Quick question: are saves saved in the SD card, or are they still saved in cartridges? If they're saved in SD card, this will make next mainline Pokemon games interesting.

Carts.

swerve

Skiesofwonder said:
lol :) Had a similar dream last weekend to where I couldn't see the 3D either. Actually worried me when I came across an actual 3DS at my Best Buy. Thankfully my worries have been put to rest.

So far everyone I have shown has been able to see the 3D, including me (very weak vision in one eye, strong astigmatism), and a buddy who sees almost no color in one eye and who can't see polarised-glasses 3D.

I always forget how system/game launches go - does it actually come out in stores on launch day (Sunday), or is it one of those things where it actually releases on Monday?

swerve

[EDIT]There is something on the SD card, but I can't work out what! Without the SD card in, SF4 still knows my name, my figure collection, and so on, without the SD card. No idea what is stored on the card now. It's not the crosspass data (still there with card out) and it's not the game progress data. Curious.

beje

Banned
swerve said:
You know what, I think I was wrong. I just checked the system and all my games have stored their data on the SD card. It just felt like it was stored on the cart through conditioning, I guess.

Weird. I will now try booting without the sd card.

[EDIT]Annnnd SF4 still knows my name, my figure collection, and so on, without the SD card. No idea what is stored on the card now. It's not the crosspass data (still there with card out) and it's not the game progress data. Curious.

It still can be...
- Just a backup
- User-created info (screenshots and the like)
- The usage time for the play stats section of the console

Ydahs

Skiesofwonder said:
lol :) Had a similar dream last weekend to where I couldn't see the 3D either. Actually worried me when I came across an actual 3DS at my Best Buy. Thankfully my worries have been put to rest.
We've all had the same dream it seems :lol

swerve said:
[EDIT]There is something on the SD card, but I can't work out what! Without the SD card in, SF4 still knows my name, my figure collection, and so on, without the SD card. No idea what is stored on the card now. It's not the crosspass data (still there with card out) and it's not the game progress data. Curious.
Have you tried with other games yet? You said you saw "all your games" on the SD card, so what about the rest?

swerve

My dog and cat both live on the cart, so I guess the SD card save is just the photos. The other games are the built in ones, so:

Face Raiders uses built in storage (likely that 3DSWare games will do the same, then)
Miis are on the system
CrossPass data is all on the system.

SD Card appears to be for photos, music, and backup only at present.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dl content like 3dsware and virtual console games will be directly downloaded to the sd card .....

swerve

Good. There are many screens you can't yet access until the System Software Update in May, to do with moving things around. I guess they really want to make sure their security is shit hot before unleashing full SD integration.

daffy

Banned
UncleSporky said:
I always forget how system/game launches go - does it actually come out in stores on launch day (Sunday), or is it one of those things where it actually releases on Monday?
Launches on Sunday. Infact several places are having midnight launches that Saturday night! :D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
swerve said:

Also Ridge Racer mentions the SD card when you save... but there's nothing on it related to it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FTH said:
Launches on Sunday. Infact several places are having midnight launches that Saturday night! :D

Midnight launch in Toronto for the 3DS. Nintendo is hosting a 'party' at Dundas Square, with demo units setup, etc. Futureshop (maybe others?) will be open at midnight.

Bentendo

Skiesofwonder said:

I had a dream where it didn't work for me either.

Actually, cross that, I had a friggin NIGHTMARE!

I keep alternating between "Definitely keeping my preorder!" to "Maybe I shouldn't?"

I haven't been this excited about a piece of hardware in ages, but at the same time I have been almost constantly disappointed with gaming the past 2 years which convinced me that I've outgrown the medium... I'm telling myself that if I end up not liking it for whatever reason I can try to sell it and minimize my losses. I'm sure it will be a hot item for a while and not too difficult sell second-hand, but it's going to cost me over $400 (importing), so I might have to eat up a big loss on it.

beje

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I keep alternating between "Definitely keeping my preorder!" to "Maybe I shouldn't?"

I haven't been this excited about a piece of hardware in ages, but at the same time I have been almost constantly disappointed with gaming the past 2 years which convinced me that I've outgrown the medium... I'm telling myself that if I end up not liking it for whatever reason I can try to sell it and minimize my losses. I'm sure it will be a hot item for a while and not too difficult sell second-hand, but it's going to cost me over $400 (importing), so I might have to eat up a big loss on it.

I say keep it
just so you can post 3D pics of your ass in underwear in GAF :$

Just got my Congratulations, you're one of the select few that receives a 3DS at launch email. Apparently, the entirety of the launch shipment is already sold out and the device will be for the upcoming months in the Netherlands. Jesus, Nintendo.

Effect

Dreamwriter said:
Well, we know they aren't all of questionable to horrible quality, as Rayman 2 is apparently just like the Dreamcast version but with some frame-rate drops here and there.

I guess it is a bit unfair to make a blanket statement like.

I've been going over my game list the past few days and the only constant that has stayed is Steel Diver. I'm not that big of a fighting game fan but SSF4 just looks great. However that shouldn't be a reason to get the game. There is a reason I passed on the console versions and even Tatsunoko vs Capcom on the Wii. Hype almost had me. :(

The entire US/Euro launch window list hasn't come out has it?

heringer

A question to SSFIV players. I heard everything on SSFIV3D already comes unlocked. Characters, costumes, etc. Any truth to that? I like things locked so I have an incentive to keep playing single player.

BY2K

Membero Americo
heringer said:
A question to SSFIV players. I heard everything on SSFIV3D already comes unlocked. Characters, costumes, etc. Any truth to that? I like things locked so I have an incentive to keep playing single player.

I think the only thing you have to unlock are the figurines.

heringer said:
Pretty much yeah, but you can unlock in-game achievements, 13 pages of status avatars, 41 pages of status banners. Sure, you can collect and unlock the figurines, but since you can only hold 500 of them, I doubt you can collect all figurines in all their variations. The main focus in this game is it's online part imho and that is really sweet. I'm not sure if I would have bought it just for the offline single player to be honest. It's a really great game tho.

angelfly

Mailenstein said:
Pretty much yeah, but you can unlock in-game achievements, 13 pages of status avatars, 41 pages of status banners. Sure, you can collect and unlock the figurines, but since you can only hold 500 of them, I doubt you can collect all figurines in all their variations. The main focus in this game is it's online part imho and that is really sweet. I'm not sure if I would have bought it just for the offline single player to be honest. It's a really great game tho.
35 Characters with 7 levels each. Theres more than enough room.

angelfly said:
35 Characters with 7 levels each. Theres more than enough room.
Not really. I have 5 different lvl1 Adon color designs within the same pose alone. That alone would make 35 figurines alone for Adon. But now there are also different pose designs within a level. No way you can hold all different version at once.

Since I am stupid, can someone explain to me how this Street Fighter thing works where only one person needs the game yet the other person can still play???

What's the limitation in this and is that right at all???

Izayoi

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
I was planning to in 3 days.
Awesome.

Naked Snake said:

You don't outgrow gaming.

Chorazin said:
Yeah, getting that free 3DS has got to suck.
I know.

Say, since you hate it so much, I would gladly take if off your hands there Vinterbird.

Seriously though why are you bitching?

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Since I am stupid, can someone explain to me how this Street Fighter thing works where only one person needs the game yet the other person can still play???

What's the limitation in this and is that right at all???

GBA and DS supported the same feature. The limitation is file size - for SSFIV, I believe there's only one stage and only one playable character (Ryu).

Izayoi

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Just watched this 5mn SSF4 video: http://kotaku.com/#!5783032/how-super-street-fighter-iv-delivers-3d-on-the-3ds-without-3d

It's showing the alternate view and boy does it look good, even in 2D. I think my jaw will drop on the floor when I play this in 3D.

By this time next week I should be able to meet you online to show you my Honda skills :)
I like how instead of actually taking to two seconds to go to the options menu and switching the game to 2D mode he just turns the slider off instead.

Top Bottom