• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: new firmware update available (9.6.0.24) - Home Menu layouts

L~A

New update.... and not just "stability" fixes this time around.

Changes to HOME Menu:

A Home Menu Layout setting has been added to HOME Menu Settings. Users can save and load up to 8 layouts of the HOME Menu with different theme and software icon arrangements

Changes to Theme Shop:

Additional categories have been added under “View More” for easier navigation of the Theme Shop

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and Nintendo 2DS Systems Only:

Changes to HOME Menu Settings
amiibo Settings has been added to HOME Menu Settings. amiibo Settings allows users to register an amiibo owner and nickname, delete data written to an amiibo by supported software, or reset an amiibo*

*This feature will require a peripheral device scheduled to launch in 2015

Source

FINALLY.

For EU at least, the web browser now includes the Easter egg that Japanese New 3DSes have had for ages. Been trying to activate it every time there's a system update.

(Tap out the rhythm of the first notes of the Super Mario Bros. Level music "dudududududu, du" on the N3DS's browser's new tab page which shows your bookmarks)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hearing "layouts of the HOME Menu with different theme and software icon arrangements" made me think of that sticker game Japan has had for a while, but I'm guessing it's not like that...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Home menu layouts is pretty huge, yo.

Oh wait, we don't have Badge Collection here in NA. :(
I'm still surprised/disappointed that hasn't come to the US yet.

I hope that theme store update includes the ability to hear samples of music from the themes
Yeah, perhaps also the ability to zoom in so you can get a better idea of what it looks like. Maybe have the music play as well & it can act as a preview.

Oh neat, you can save different themes now. Always got annoyed that changing themes messed up my icons
Also seems old 3DS will be getting Amiibo as well. First 3DS Amiibo game bets?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sounds like an update for Badge Collection users, what about releasing it in the West now?
Maybe this update is to prepare the US for the game? I pretty much have all my games via folders, so there's not much to rearrange. & changing themes keeps them in the same location, so it's not like there's any reason to save my "layout".

Curious if this means anything regarding the badge collection game thing, but wouldn't the NA/EU firmwares already support that unless Nintendo has two variants of the home page code?

L~A

Oh neat, you can save different themes now. Always got annoyed that changing themes messed up my icons
Also seems old 3DS will be getting Amiibo as well. First 3DS Amiibo game bets?

Well, of course it's getting amiibo support. The peripheral was announced months before the New 3DS, actually.

FSLink

Banned
Changes to HOME Menu Settings
amiibo Settings has been added to HOME Menu Settings. amiibo Settings allows users to register an amiibo owner and nickname, delete data written to an amiibo by supported software, or reset an amiibo*

*This feature will require a peripheral device scheduled to launch in 2015

Cool nice to see that peripheral isn't dead lol. It was announced but we haven't heard from it in awhile iirc.

fernoca

Maybe this update is to prepare the US for the game? I pretty much have all my games via folders, so there's not much to rearrange. & changing themes keeps them in the same location, so it's not like there's any reason to save my "layout".
Yeah, wondering that. Have mine to cycle between 5 "retro themes", and everything stays in their place.

Well, of course it's getting amiibo support. The peripheral was announced months before the New 3DS, actually.
Well yeah, but Nintendo likes to say one thing and do another. They seem to be going all in with it though.
Yeah, wondering that. Have mine to cycle between 5 "retro themes", and everything stays in their place.
Well some themes work better with small icons and others with big. I assume this is the logic of pre-set themes.

NewGame

Banned
Layouts? Why would anyone have different layouts?

tumblr_m31ef4elbf1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

Oh my, there's also a console version

ByvbqvMIQAAX5Ir.jpg

Kadin

Pretty cool new feature. Switches between them pretty quick on my N3DS. I really don't have a need for multiple layouts but I'm sure it'll be useful for others.

Still no Collectible Badge Center I guess. Upon updating my Japanese 3DS, on reboot it shows a carousel of images, where half of them are sticker-themed from the Badge Center app.

No dice for the PAL 3DS, the images on the carousel are different, nothing Badge Center-related.

My guess is that NoA/NoE aren't nimble enough to deal with Badge Center and its region-specific and seasonal/weekly/monthly new content, so I'd expect at best a time-lagged release once everything's ready.

Elija2

That badge collecting game has to be close, right?

Huh, apparently you'll be able to update the 3DS NFC Reader. I wonder what for.

A first I thought it was something like making he OS menu itself different shapes, so kinda dissapointed there, but honesly now that I know what it is its pretty big. I can now rearrange my menu several times throughout the year, which I like to do to change stuff up, without having to do i all over again to get the old menu back. Really happy with this feature! :)

This is cool I guess. I wish there was a tweak made that allowed the entire folder name to be displayed, rather than just one letter. I'd love to have a folder for all my games, for all my demos, and for just virtual console titles.

FINALLY.

For EU at least, the web browser now includes the Easter egg that Japanese New 3DSes have had for ages. Been trying to activate it every time there's a system update.

(Tap out the rhythm of the first notes of the Super Mario Bros. Level music "dudududududu, du" on the N3DS's browser's new tab page which shows your bookmarks)

Stratocast

Neo Member
I just want a quicker way to toggle the WiFi on the n3DS XL, such as a button on the Home screen. I miss the hardware-based WiFi toggle of the 3DS XL. After finally getting used to the new stylus and rearranged ports & buttons of the n3DS XL, the lack of a hardware WiFi toggle is my only remaining complaint about it.

L~A

FINALLY.

Ah, that's cool. Wonder why they removed it in the first place...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This also adds the Nintendo browser minigame. (A breakout clone)
Go to the "New Tab" page.
Tap the rhythm of the Super Mario theme ""Du du, du, Dudu du""
STAGE SELECT will appear.
You can now hit a URL made out of bricks.

timshundo

I just want a quicker way to toggle the WiFi on the n3DS XL, such as a button on the Home screen. I miss the hardware-based WiFi toggle of the 3DS XL. After finally getting used to the new stylus and rearranged ports & buttons of the n3DS XL, the lack of a hardware WiFi toggle is my only remaining complaint about it.

I don't mind the software toggle because the n3DS doesn't lag on any game when going back to the Home Menu. Hitting the home button when playing Smash on my old 3DS was dreadful because the wait was long and unpredictable. With the n3DS, its a pleasant 1 second every time so the dread is gone.

I do leave my n3DS in my bedroom mostly plugged in all day though so I'm not flipping the wifi toggle to save battery as often.

Not even dude, Vita has bubble containers. Who wants that when you can have proper folders?
Yes, because having a letter is so much better than bubble containers.

They both suck. They both need to have an option to have any game's icon as folder icon. Oh well, better than no folders.

Top Bottom