• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Apparently Dead or Alive and Resident Evil for 3DS will be $20 at bestbuy tomorrow. Are they actually worthwhile games? I'm debating whether to pick them up.

At that price I highly recommend them.

GeekyDad

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Apparently Dead or Alive and Resident Evil for 3DS will be $20 at bestbuy tomorrow. Are they actually worthwhile games? I'm debating whether to pick them up.

Both are very worthwhile. I think Capcom could have done more with Mercs 3D, but I still feel like my $40 investment was well spent. At $20, it's a no-brainer. And DoA is my preferred fighter on 3DS. I played the hell out of SSFIV on PS3, but I just don't think it translates to 3DS as well as Dimensions does.

MooMoo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I can't speak for DOA since I don't have it, but at $20 it's pretty hard to go wrong with RE: Mercs. It got a lot of backlash prelaunch but I don't think I've seen anyone who has gotten the game comment as vehemently negative on it after actually purchasing and playing through it. The beginning is really slow; mission maps 1-3 are pretty lackluster as they're pretty much tutorial missions/maps. But once you hit the 4,5 and EX missions you'll notice a nice crank up in difficulty and action. Definitely a welcome addition to the mercenaries series as it maintains the core gameplay extremely well even with its varying flaws. I guess the only big reasons to say no to RE: Mercs are if time/score attack type games aren't the type of games you enjoy or if you find the lack of multiple save slots too disturbing to even comprehend buying it. In summary, I recommend it.

GeekyDad

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is blazblue ok? That's also down to $20 again. I remember hearing it's bad though...

Actually heard it was pretty good. If it's essentially the same as the PS3 version (which I own), it should be great. Only thing with that game is, there's no online play. Go figure...

GeekyDad said:
Actually heard it was pretty good. If it's essentially the same as the PS3 version (which I own), it should be great. Only thing with that game is, there's no online play. Go figure...

Ah, that's weird that it doesn't but I can deal with that if it's the only knock against it.

GeekyDad said:
To be more exact, it's the same as the PSP version, just has a few issues.

GeekyDad said:
framerate seems to be shit

[Nintex]

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
DOAD is certainly worth it you guys sure get lucky with those deals. I simply refuse to pay 45 euro for Resident Evil: Mercenaries.

[Nintex] said:
DOAD is certainly worth it you guys sure get lucky with those deals. I simply refuse to pay 45 euro for Resident Evil: Mercenaries.
Hey I'll be in the same boat you are in literally one day so don't feel too jealous. :p

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is blazblue ok? That's also down to $20 again. I remember hearing it's bad though...
I ordered it, but cancelled the game after finding out that it has no sleep mode. You know it was a quick and dirty job when the developers forgot to include sleep mode.

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, that's weird that it doesn't but I can deal with that if it's the only knock against it.
There's no sleep mode and no way to erase your save. (I guess they assumed you would do that from the PSP's XMB and didn't bother to change it for the 3DS.)

I was going to buy it, but after hearing how lazy it was I figured I might as well just buy the PS3 version, even if I do have to buy the DLC seperately.

GeekyDad

Roto13 said:
There's no sleep mode and no way to erase your save. (I guess they assumed you would do that from the PSP's XMB and didn't bother to change it for the 3DS.)

I was going to buy it, but after hearing how lazy it was I figured I might as well just buy the PS3 version, even if I do have to buy the DLC seperately.

Yeah, that is quite a few knocks against it. When there are already two other really strong options, I don't see it being worth anyone's while. Heck, you can even wait for Tekken if you're one of those folks. Personally, I stand by what I said before. I think DoA has done the best job transitioning to 3DS. The cutscenes are absolutely terrible, but the fighting and other extras are more than I could ever ask for from a portable fighter. The control compromise works better, in my opinion, than SSFIV. Blazblue becomes kind of a moot issue, really.

Roto13 said:

Does 3DS version have the DLC on it or does it not include it at all?

Roto13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does 3DS version have the DLC on it or does it not include it at all?
It comes with all of the DLC characters. Not sure about the colours but who cares about that? :p There's no DLC to buy for it.

My spot pass notification light hasn't turned on in over a week. I'm scared its broken. I don't know a way to test it for sure except to wait for the red flashing before the battery dies. That's something I can send it in for right?

Moodkip

Just out of curiosity, what is the 100NIN03 folder on the SD card? Is it just for pictures? If I delete all its contents am I in trouble?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gamer @ Heart said:
My spot pass notification light hasn't turned on in over a week. I'm scared its broken. I don't know a way to test it for sure except to wait for the red flashing before the battery dies. That's something I can send it in for right?
I've seen mine blinking blue only once, and I've received more than a few SpotPass notifications otherwise. But the light seems to work properly for the orange case (friends online). I say wait for the next fw update.

GeekyDad

Moodkip said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the 100NIN03 folder on the SD card? Is it just for pictures? If I delete all its contents am I in trouble?

I believe the pics folder is 101NIN03. I don't have my SD card in my PC at the moment, but I do have a copy of the folder on my PC. The one number is different from what you posted. Can't remember what's inside of it. If it isn't MPO or JPG files, though, I'd be careful before deleting anything.

Is my pedometer broken? I just went on a 2 mile walk with my 3DS in my pocket on sleep mode, came back and it said that I only took 499 steps. When I went on the same walk yesterday the step total was 3573 (not 7000 lol), which seems a little bit more accurate.

nincompoop said:
Is my pedometer broken? I just went on a 2 mile walk with my 3DS in my pocket on sleep mode, came back and it said that I only took 499 steps. When I went on the same walk yesterday the step total was 3573 (not 7000 lol), which seems a little bit more accurate.
Mine doesn't work at all because it's in a padded case in a messenger bag.

Mexx

Neo Member
Another problem with my shitty 3DS. It came from repair on tuesday, but yesterday, when i wanted to turn off the volume, I saw that the slider is loose and move only to about half slide. Does anyone who open 3DS knows is volume slider is easy avalaible and I can fix that little bug? This is annoying, bad Nintendo service, fixed screen, but messed up volume...

Futureman

I have $65 in Reward Zone monies and Best Buy doesn't have a preorder up for Super Mario 3D Land.

They DO have preorders for such games as Luigi's Mansion 2 and SMASH BROS 3DS.

ugh.

I would also buy 999 for DS but apparently they don't sell that either.

isny

napkin dispenser
Futureman said:
I have $65 in Reward Zone monies and Best Buy doesn't have a preorder up for Super Mario 3D Land.

They DO have preorders for such games as Luigi's Mansion 2 and SMASH BROS 3DS.

ugh.

I would also buy 999 for DS but apparently they don't sell that either.

Buy $65 game with RZ credit. Return for store credit on a GC. Profit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On account of the fact that we're nowhere near launch and someone just started a nice general purpose 3DS thread, I'm going to lock this up. If you have any 3DS questions or want game recommendations, feel free to start a new thread, or use a more recent thread. There are also threads for Nintendo Downloads, so those would also be a good place to look if you're looking for help with eShop stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom