• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effect said:
Nah. Those are the commercials that were needed. The only version missing in North America is one like the UK one that shows off third party games. They need to be as direct as possible and actually show games. Make it clear that this is a new system and you do that by showing how different the games are compared to the DS units people currently have. Make it clear the games are only playable on the 3DS.
why don't 3rd parties actually advertise their own games?!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BurntPork said:
Shouldn't the "only for 3DS" line help with that, though?
I think they literally need to say "THE 3DS IS NOT THE DS" like they did in the UK commercials. They're going to have to spell it out to people.

Shiggy

walking fiend said:
why don't 3rd parties actually advertise their own games?!

Maybe after the price drop, but right now it does not pay off for them. But then a different question arises: What shall they advertise?

Om3ga

Hmmm I've had my 3DS for 2weeks now (got it for $200 with 3 games). I was wondering if I got a bad battery or if that's just how weak the 3DS' battery really is.

So I wake up and leave for work at about 5am. I leave the system on stand-by for most of the day (unless i'm on the bus and not asleep...). By the time I get home (10pm @ night) the console is usually dead or close to dead.

I also bought a Super-card DSTwo. It's usually always inserted in the system, though I almost never use it. I was wondering if that was the culprit draining my battery while in sleep mode. I've seen people say that it does drain the battery while in sleep mode, but never that much...

I'll probably test it on Monday again without the card to see if that's the case, but I just wanted to know for now so if I did have a problem, I could call Nintendo and see what they say. Also do you need a receipt when dealing with Nintendo for warranty claims?

BurntPork

Banned
Fantastical said:
I think they literally need to say "THE 3DS IS NOT THE DS" like they did in the UK commercials. They're going to have to spell it out to people.
With the current price, it's not really necessary. They just need to know that it's better than DSi and has exclusive games. From there, the consumer will choose.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
BurntPork said:
With the current price, it's not really necessary. They just need to know that it's better than DSi and has exclusive games. From there, the consumer will choose.
Yeah, that's true. I forgot it was priced the same as an XL.

Effect

Om3ga said:
Hmmm I've had my 3DS for 2weeks now (got it for $200 with 3 games). I was wondering if I got a bad battery or if that's just how weak the 3DS' battery really is.

That's really weird. I usually put mine in my bag between 6 and 7am and it's in there the entire time I'm at work. Sometimes at lunch I'll do a race or two of Ridge Racer and then it's back in my bag and I take it out usually at 6 or 7pm. I'm home before that but I just keep in the bag. My battery is usually the same. The thing about sleep mode is that the system is suppose to be nearly turned off. It shouldn't be working unless it detects another 3DS in street pass mode or a wifi connection it has access to and even then to download it doesn't already have.

That card you most likely is problem. Just looked it up and I wouldn't be surprised if it is pulling power from the system.

In general the brightness setting, 3D on or off, and usage will give you different battery lengths. Other devices are the same. Unless someone is playing with brightness all the way up and for several hours straight without breaks they shouldn't have a battery issue. I doubt most people game like that or are going to have issues with the battery life.

If one plays it for so long they drain the batter perhaps they should take that as a hint they should take a break. Give their hands and eyes a rest.

onipex

Om3ga said:

So I wake up and leave for work at about 5am. I leave the system on stand-by for most of the day (unless i'm on the bus and not asleep...). By the time I get home (10pm @ night) the console is usually dead or close to dead.
?

I left mine in sleep mode for over 2 days and the battery was fine.

[Nintex]

cw_sasuke said:
New "Relaunch" commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ByvsCZUfjA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFgd925epv4&feature=player_embedded

I hope the will also include one like in UK where they show off some upcoming 3rd Party titles...
... terrible

What happened to Nintendo's marketing team that did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2JjlrRhcaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHlM67ur0OQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc4FvhXqRFU

Even the PAL 3DS ads are much much better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrviEHeN2M

Also you can't sell systems based on stuff that's not out yet I guess Nintendo didn't learn that lesson from the GameCube... idiots.

Moodkip

So I put 10$ into eShop funds with my debit card the other day. I check my checking account today and under pending transactions it shows I paid 2 10$ deposits in the eShop funds (i.e. 20$). Did Nintendo overcharge me? :|

Pyrokai

Anyone know what happens if we fill the home screen with games? How is it possible to clean the fridge if everything is being saved on the SD card as it is......I'm worried!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Pyrokai said:
Anyone know what happens if we fill the home screen with games? How is it possible to clean the fridge if everything is being saved on the SD card as it is......I'm worried!
The 3DS digital manual seems to say that the menu can hold up to 300 3DS titles and 40 DSiWare titles...

Page 18 of the Settings manual.

Pyrokai

DavidDayton said:
The 3DS digital manual seems to say that the menu can hold up to 300 3DS titles and 40 DSiWare titles...

Page 18 of the Settings manual.

Hey thanks! But I want to point something out:

It actually says this: Note: You can save up to 40 Nintendo DSiWare titles to the System Memory and up to 300 Nintendo 3DS software titles and 300 pieces of extra data to an SD Card.

It says System Memory, but what about SD card? Or....wait.....don't tell me......DSiWare games can't be displayed on the Home Menu if they're on an SD Card but 3DS downloaded games can? (just like on the DSi?)

I don't actually have any DSiWare games on my 3DS (they're still on my DSi) so I can't find out the answer on my own at this time.

Pyrokai said:
It says System Memory, but what about SD card? Or....wait.....don't tell me......DSiWare games can't be displayed on the Home Menu if they're on an SD Card

Well see, I've got something to tell you...
Yeah you're correct, DSiWare stored on an SD card is absent from the main menu. You need to load it back into the System Memory to load it. Hardly surprising though, this IS Nintendo after all.....

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Yeah you're correct, DSiWare stored on an SD card is absent from the main menu. You need to load it back into the System Memory to load it. Hardly surprising though, this IS Nintendo after all.....
Holy shit didn't know that. Wow.

DDayton

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:

Yeah, I thought everyone knew this. I'm a bit surprised they didn't implement a Wii-esque loader... although it's possible the DSiWare security (ramped up from Wii security) doesn't allow for that.

God damn why can't they just make the Euro 3DS relauch ad for the US? Is it that fucking hard to show some 3DS games and say "The next generation of handheld gaming is here.. and it's in 3D"!? Fucking hell.

Pyrokai

It just makes little sense to me that they allow it for 3DS original downloads but not for DSiWare. I know it's like that on the DSi, but seeing as 3DS software isn't so particular.....I just thought......yeah......WHYYYY

Roto13

DSiWare can only take up a certain portion of the 3DS internal memory, too, so you can't fill up all of your free space with DSiWare games. :p

[Nintex]

WordAssassin said:
God damn why can't they just make the Euro 3DS relauch ad for the US? Is it that fucking hard to show some 3DS games and say "The next generation of handheld gaming is here.. and it's in 3D"!? Fucking hell.
I didn't notice it before but I don't think they even mention the 3D in any of the ads. Terrible terrible ads. Nintendo needs to buy THQ and replace NOA with THQ they'd probably do a better job.

fernoca

Maybe the games were programmed that way; and need to run at some specific speed or something, since running from SD Cards is sometimes slower.

Like when people run Xbox Live Arcade games on USBs and then complain about long loading times and other misc. problems; that only happen when a game is on an USB instead of the HDD.

So maybe is about compatibility more than not been able to do so; who knows.

Somnid

WordAssassin said:

Probably to avoid male-centric advertising. Don't make a fuss about the hardware and photo-realistic bullshit, make a fuss about the games and exclusivity.

Barrett2

[Nintex] said:
I didn't notice it before but I don't think they even mention the 3D in any of the ads. Terrible terrible ads. Nintendo needs to buy THQ and replace NOA with THQ they'd probably do a better job.
Maybe their market research is telling them 3D is a negative for many consumers.

Somnid

lawblob said:
Maybe their market research is telling them 3D is a negative for many consumers.

Maybe for some people, also every game except Mario Kart 7 has it in the title as does the system and therefore it's unnecessary to continue to beat people over the head with it.

Somnid said:
Probably to avoid male-centric advertising. Don't make a fuss about the hardware and photo-realistic bullshit, make a fuss about the games and exclusivity.
Yeah but aside from the game titles the commercials don't even mention that this system does 3D graphics. I know it might take some actual work but maybe do some commercials where shit pops off the screen? Or show something receding back into the screen to simulate depth?

It's just so lazy. So incredibly lazy.

Here is what the commercials should be:

The screen focuses on one kid at a time, playing their 3DS. Have a boy, a girl, a black kid, an asian kid, whatever. The camera pans around each kid in a circle, and from behind the 3DS, we see things popping out at the kids, and from behind the kids, we see things flying off the screen or things going back into the screen. Have a kid playing Star Fox 64 3D and show the Arwing flying out of the 3DS. Have the girl playing Nintendogs + Cats and show them popping out of the screen into their hands. Get the point across that this is an entirely new system with 3D capabilities. Erase DS/DSi/DSiXL/3DS brand confusion entirely. Get people excited, "Oh wow, the games are in 3D??"

onipex

[Nintex] said:

3D is in the ad just not as pronounced.

[Nintex] said:
Are we talking about the same THQ that just cut jobs in the three-digit numbers and posted a nearly-$40 million loss because of their terrible decision making

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
Are we talking about the same THQ that just cut jobs in the three-digit numbers and posted a nearly-$40 million loss because of their terrible decision making
It can't get any worse than 2011 NOA I think. Maybe if they replaced Reggie with Bernie Stolar or Tim Langdell but even that is debatable.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
It can get worse

It can get cutting 250 jobs worse
But Nintendo would have enough money in the warchest to keep those people from losing their jobs. THQ can't take on the giants like EA/Activision and to a lesser extend 2K and Ubisoft but we've got to admire them for trying but that road will lead to their inevitable demise unless someone steps in kinda like the way Eidos was headed for an iceberg untill Yoichi Wada bought it while drunk.

[Nintex] said:
But Nintendo would have enough money in the warchest to keep those people from losing their jobs. THQ can't take on the giants like EA/Activision and to a lesser extend Rockstar and Ubisoft but we've got to admire them for trying but that road will lead to their inevitable demise unless someone steps in kinda like the way Eidos was headed for an iceberg untill Yoichi Wada bought it while drunk.
So Nintendo should buy THQ

Let them run things as they fit

Subsidize it so their terrible decisions do not cause job losses

because their commercials did not mention 3D enough

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
So Nintendo should buy THQ

Let them run things as they fit

Subsidize it so their terrible decisions do not cause job losses

because their commercials did not mention 3D enough
Pretty much, remember Nintendo likes to surprise people no one will see it coming. Also they'd have some HD developers under their belt a nice division in the US and a couple of new franchises to play with. In fact they might even get more games out the door.

Would've gotten this earlier if I didn't forget my 3DS some of the times I went out, but today, I reached 1 million steps, finally. Had it since launch.

HNI_0008.jpg

Damn YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
I've been aiming to do a milli, a milli, a milli, a million steps for ages.
I hit 890,000 and have been laid up after an operation :(
Its become a bit of an obsession recently :lol

The previous DS generation lasted 6 years. If the 3DS has a similar lifespan it makes you wonder how many steps may be reached after all that time. 10 million should be easily achievable. I think thats my new target! Haha

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know where to post this,so...

Consumer interest a good sign for Nintendo's latest machine.
Nintendo's 3DS price drop went into effect August 12, and apparently, the decision has already yielded some impressive results, at least in the Tri-state area.
Of the 16 GameStops we called across New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, six reported complete sellouts, while eight had one to three systems, some of which were a specific color. Only two had a surplus.
This rise in sales comes after a brutal four month span where the handheld sold below Nintendo's expectations, prompting the video game giant to slash the price $80, from $249.99 to $169.99.
That said, it remains to be seen whether the publisher has weathered the storm. We still don't know how 3DS performed worldwide, and whether it will continue to sell out through the holiday season amidst a very impressive lineup from Nintendo that includes Star Fox, two Mario titles and Kid Icarus.
Expect Nintendo to release revised figures in the coming weeks.

http://www.modojo.com/news/20110815...to_sales_surge_in_new_york_metropolitan_area/

Let's hope the rise is occurring not only in New York...

DDayton

560,000 steps or so... I'm surprised it's so low... then again, I've been leaving it on the charger more as of late...

In other news, I only have 18 spots left in my software library logbook The book starts with 128 entries spread over 16 pages -- I have 18 spots left, and am curious what happens when I fill up the existing book.

The manual says that once you pass 256 titles, titles will be deleted "starting from the oldest." I'm curious as to whether this means titles that have the oldest "last played" date, or the oldest "first played" date. I assume it must be the former ... although this means my least played titles will soon be zapped from the log...

BurntPork said:

Exactly. It was a price barrier mostly. Education will naturally comes when they see a game that interests them.

Roto13 said:
No word on when yet. It will happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they have it ready by the time the red 3DSes are out, since that's exactly what this kind of functionality is for.
The red 3DS came out in July in Japan and they didnt have the 3ds to 3ds trabsfer option.

I hope they release it before the red 3ds comes out in NA because I think I want one but would refuse to get it if I couldnt transfer my downloaded games, ambassadore games, and activity log data.

I might just get one anyway. GS is having a deal right now to trade in older ds dystems for a new 3ds and runs to the 11th. And if they let you tradein mutible systems I could get it for $10 :0 I should get it anyway . I can always save it to the 3ds-3ds transfer option is available. Did nintendo ever give out a release date for the transfer option? This year...? They better not wait until the 3ds revision!

Also, I've been without internet since the 23rd. Now I'm back hurray!

The Lamonster said:
I think my right speaker is fucked. I was listening to music and I put my thumb over the left speaker and 90% of the sound went away. Only a tiny tinny version was coming out of the right speaker. I tested it in a couple games too. Shitty sound again.

Is this normal or by design or is my 3DS messed up?
Anybody? And would I still be able to exchange my launch 3DS for one that works? Would that fuck up my ambassador stuff? Could I easily transfer my game save data?

I'm so lost here :(

NateDrake

The Lamonster said:
Anybody? And would I still be able to exchange my launch 3DS for one that works? Would that fuck up my ambassador stuff? Could I easily transfer my game save data?

Simply put: If you don't have the unit that went to the EShop before the price drop, then yes, you will be Ambassador fucked. You need that unit. Send it to Nintendo to be fixed and you'll remain an Ambassador.

Chopper

The Lamonster said:

Don't be lost. It's easy. If you think it's broken, phone Nintendo. They'll fix it. For free.

GeekyDad

Finally got around to checking out Steel Diver. This is a very welcome change from most of what's out there. I wouldn't say I'm ga-ga over it or anything, but I am pleasantly surprised. It's got simulator gameplay with that little Nintendo touch. Very wowed by how well the periscope segments work. Other stuff that's used the tech hasn't felt nearly as natural. Was worried the 3D would go out of focus for it, but it works extremely well. I can see why this game wouldn't appeal to a lot of folks, but I dig it. It's like playing with little dioramas or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom