• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

MegaKungFuRadio said:
That until the 3DS actually has games, it's worth negative dollars because I don't need another piece of clutter in my life until then.
As a very pedantic person, I find myself compelled to mention that the 3DS does have games.

Jokeropia

thorsilver said:
Er... what are those releases exactly?
Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Paper Mario, Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle, Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney… Now I obviously can't comment on what will interest you, but from a market standpoint some of these are a big deal.

Big One said:
You feel sorry for people who are exclusively getting 20 games for free? Okay then...

If you really see it that way, then I can easily say it's like paying $80 for stuff you don't especially care about nor want. Also, is all that stuff DLC and linked to your account or can I sell it ? yeah........no.....

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
BY2K said:
Hey, I'll gladly take those 20 free games. :D
About how much money do the 20 games amount to? Is it worth it to buy a 3DS before the price drop to get all the free games?

Seik

Banned
GeekyDad said:
Obviously there were a lot of GAF members taken hostage and forced to buy 3DSes at the current price. The world truly is a cruel place...

Hype, dude, hype...

I don't know how many times I've been hyped for something that is not worth it.

For the 3DS, sooner or later, I would have bought it before that price drop. I was too hyped for Zelda. So damn me and my impatience falling into Nintendo's marketing plan! XD

DR2K said:
It doesn't offer anything new and the handheld economy has changed significantly.

What did the N64 offer new over the SNES? What did the SNES offer over the NES? What did the PSP offer over the Nintendo DS? What is the Vita offering over the iPhone if you want to go there? Fact is you're arguing that a brand new product with improved hardware, better online, 3D, etc. should be priced LOWER than its predecessor did.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
FantasticMrFoxdie said:
WOW.

Feel sorry for the early adopters. lol.
You shouldn't. I bought 3 of them at launch and I'm getting 20 great free games on each.

I'm jumping in joy.

Anth0ny

sykoex said:
About how much money do the 20 games amount to? Is it worth it to buy a 3DS before the price drop to get all the free games?

Minish Cap goes for ~$30. Just bought Metroid Fusion for $20. Also Super Mario Advance 3 for $20.

That's $70 for 3 games those three games. I now get 17 more games for free. I'll take it.

Angry Grimace said:
Where do I sign up for my "compensation"
"connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program."

Sadist

LovingSteam said:
Nothing new? Really? Come on man, the hyperbole isn't needed.
If you keep reading those "Apple taking over handheld gaming market space" articles long enough it will bust your brain.

I mean, the person you're replying to offcourse

The M.O.B

DR2K said:
It doesn't offer anything new and the handheld economy has changed significantly.

200df_ORIG-disbelief.gif

evangd007

SykoTech said:
Eh. I can sympathize, but they ultimately did it to themselves. Once they're done raging, hopefully the lesson will be learned.

Eh, Iaintevenmad.jpg

Of the 10 announced games that I'm getting, I've only played 2 of them. Plus, as Alberto said, hardware launches are fun. You get excited, you get hyped, you remember why you love this industry and forget why you should hate it.

LovingSteam said:
What did the N64 offer new over the SNES? What did the SNES offer over the NES? What did the PSP offer over the Nintendo DS? What is the Vita offering over the iPhone if you want to go there? Fact is you're arguing that a brand new product with improved hardware, better online, 3D, etc. should be priced LOWER than its predecessor did.
A system will never be worth its price to a person with no interest in it.

Sadist said:
If you keep reading those "Apple taking over handheld gaming market space" articles long enough it will bust your brain.

I mean, the person you're replying to offcourse

I also like how people who are using the price of say the iPhone against the 3DS ignore that the hardware is much more expensive than $99-300 (depending on your version). If you want Nintendo to require a contract to use the 3DS than I am sure you too can pay $99 or lower for it.

I mean the person I was responding too, also lol

I could care less about me being an early adopter, I just want the 3ds sales to get going so developers dont jump ship. Hell the tv I purchased this spring is 500$ cheaper and includes surround sound, so 80$ isnt so bad.

Now ports/low budget games (Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Zelda, Starfox, Animal Crossing) need to be $30, while the higher profile stuff (Mario Land, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario) can stay at $40.

Will wait for black friday bundles (Red 3DS with Mario Kart is a given), unless I can manage to contain the hype for Mario Land and wait for another price drop.

Anth0ny said:
Minish Cap goes for ~$30. Just bought Metroid Fusion for $20. Also Super Mario Advance 3 for $20.

That's $70 for 3 games those three games. I now get 17 more games for free. I'll take it.

Complete? Otherwise you got ripped.

LovingSteam said:

Vita is launching at the same price as the PSP and offers a whole hell of a lot more added features than the 3DS does over the DS. I'm sure the expensive part is the 3D, which is a lame gimmick that has zero effect on gameplay, and I suspect is meant to sell consoles to mainstream hype monsters once again. Not that I'm saying the 3DS should be that price. I wouldn't scoff at $250 if the holiday lineup was the launch lineup. I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't be ranting about how it needs to be cheaper, either. I don't really plan on buying a Vita at launch either, and I think $250 is a fine price.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Allan Holdsworth said:
Now ports/low budget games (Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Zelda, Starfox, Animal Crossing) need to be $30, while the higher profile stuff (Mario Land, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario) can stay at $40.
Agreed. It's completely ridiculous that Steel Diver launched at $40. Nintendo and third parties are going to have to swallow their pride to survive in the current marketplace.

This is a very good start though.

seady

Nintendo got to improve its online store.

I don't know why no one has copy Apple yet. They are clearly successful with their open market, yet no one dare to follow them.

Why limit you games on a certain price range? Why can't more games be $.99 or free, or let the publisher change their price any time they want? Why can't games be released on any day of the week and now being forced to come out on Thursday? Why is there only certain number of games that can be released on the eShop every week? It they don't adapt and change they will soon be phased out.

In the past people keep saying the iTunes App Store structure is not working. But clearly it is working VERY WELL. Not only big publishers support it, but small/indie publishers get to shine every once a while.

Downloading games is the hot thing now. Even my little cousins and older relatives/friends know how to do it on their phone/iPod Touch etc.

Sadist

LovingSteam said:
I also like how people who are using the price of say the iPhone against the 3DS ignore that the hardware is much more expensive than $99-300 (depending on your version). If you want Nintendo to require a contract to use the 3DS than I am sure you too can pay $99 or lower for it.
Hehe.

People always forget about Apple pricing. Surprises me to this day.

Kamille

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
WOW.

Feel sorry for the early adopters. lol.
Good for me though. :D

Actually if I hadn't bought one at launch, I'd be tempted to get one now before the price drop because of the 20 free games. Plus, I've really been enjoying playing my 3DS thus far, despite the small selection of good titles. Can't say I have any regrets, but I am happy more people will be jumping on board. I'll likely get more streetpasses and maybe 3rd parties will increase support.

Amir0x

Banned
Competition is a good thing. I definitely think Vita is out of it - but then again, I thought that before this price drop. Few consumers are in it for a gaming dedicated handheld at $250 or more, it has to have way more functionality and be just as portable as your cellphone. Vita is overlarge, seems extremely delicate and screams 'high end' in a way that'd alienate moms buying the systems for their kids - which is a massive segment of the handheld gaming market.

I hope in the future Nintendo keeps their hubris in check so us early adopters don't have to be shafted four months out, but in this case they've pretty much done the best they could with the 20 free games shit. That is a LOT of free games, even if it is ROM DUMP stuff.

Would've been nice they thrown in a 3DSWare game or some shit, but I ain't complaining. With this magnitude of free shit, who can really care?

DR2K

Banned
LovingSteam said:

All of what you mentioned didn't receive massive price slashes within 5 months. For the year of 2011 the 3Ds is not offering enough to stay competitive.

Anth0ny said:
Looking at ebay.ca, Minish Cap goes for about $30. Mario Advance 3 is like $15-$20, and Metroid Fusion is $15-$20. Not complete.

Really? No way I will be complaining then. I would have bought VC stuff eventually, so might as well be free (and way more games then I would have bought.) Plus the exclusive GBA games should be fun.

x-Lundz-x

LovingSteam said:

True, but in today's society you need a phone. That is why it has an advantage over handhelds. You can try and spin it all you want, the dedicated handheld market is falling off a cliff and will hit the bottom soon.

Amir0x... you still got that pic you posted a while back of the DS display at some store where the 3DS was just blended into the other systems as an example of the bad marketing?

LovingSteam said:

iPod Touch does everything an iPhone does except make calls and it was still cheaper than the 3DS before the drop.

DR2K said:
All of what you mentioned didn't receive massive price slashes within 5 months. For the year of 2011 the 3Ds is not offering enough to stay competitive.

And? Your argument was the price itself should be LOWER than the NDS debuted at because it doesn't offer anything new. Fact is it offers more new features to the NDS than the N64 did to the SNES, the PSP to the NDS, and the SNES to the NES. Do you not realize how ridiculous it is that you're arguing that the 3DS should be priced LOWER than its predecessor debuted at? Really?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Picked up a black 3DS today. Getting the 20 free games and thanks to price protection I'm getting the price drop too.

DR2K

Banned
LovingSteam said:
And? Your argument was the price itself should be LOWER than the NDS debuted at because it doesn't offer anything new. Fact is it offers more new features to the NDS than the N64 did to the SNES, the PSP to the NDS, and the SNES to the NES. Do you not realize how ridiculous it is that you're arguing that the 3DS should be priced LOWER than its predecessor debuted at? Really?

You do realize standards raise over time?

x-Lundz-x said:
True, but in today's society you need a phone. That is why it has an advantage over handhelds. You can try and spin it all you want, the dedicated handheld market is falling off a cliff and will hit the bottom soon.

And? The NDS sold about as much with hardly any library and $100+ more as the NDS did even though it has a library and was priced about $100 less. It's ridiculous to compare the price of a product whose price is able to be so low due to a contract being required. Nintendo 3DS at $170 is a fantastic price.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Consider this a lesson: Don't buy personal electronics based on potential. Prices don't go up. Your shit isn't going to appreciate in value. These products aren't rare or hard to find within months of release if ever (Two year long Wii hype bullshit aside). Learn some patience and self control. That means don't even buy a 3DS now just because the price dropped to $170, since really, what is there to play? Ocarina 3D? You really can't wait until an actual new release to play a 15 year old game?

People who want it shouldn't buy it because you said so, and OoT 3D is exactly the same as the original game, which absolutely everyone has played. Right.

Top Bottom