• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Price drop thread (169 USD, 15k yen, 250 AUD, ~£130, 169 EUR)

HolyTaco

Man, that Parish article made me laugh. Nintendo delivers a sub par handheld - bad OS, bad software, bad hardware and crap online store, it sells badly and I'm supposed to interpret this as a representation that the industry is going under? GTFO. They really knocked it out of the park on how not to run a service, honestly I think Nintendo are incapable of running and maintaining a modern gaming device at the level I expect because of their competing devices. The faster they go the way of Sega the better

Sennorin said:
Wrong.

Ocarina of Time - Port <- remake
Pilotwings <- new game
Nintendogs <- new game
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars <- new game
Super Street Fighter IV -Port <- port, but playable on-the-go
Dead or Alive- Port <- new game/remake
Resident Evil Mercenaries -Port of a minigame <- new game
Star Fox (Japan) - Port <- remake
Professor Layton (Japan) <- new game

Even if we set aside for a second that you clearly attempted to troll (amateurishly), your statement of saying "most of these are ports" is objectively wrong.
5 out of 9 you classified as "port" or "remake."

OldJadedGamer said:
No one wants to see them make obvious stupid mistakes either.

Of course not.

Though we won't know just how bad those mistakes were until Vita comes out. It's difficult to gauge the handheld market at the moment.

PSGames

HolyTaco said:
Man, that Parish article made me laugh. Nintendo delivers a sub par handheld - bad OS, bad software, bad hardware and crap online store, it sells badly and I'm supposed to interpret this as a representation that the industry is going under? GTFO. They really knocked it out of the park on how not to run a service, honestly I think Nintendo are incapable of running and maintaining a modern gaming device at the level I expect because of their competing devices. The faster they go the way of Sega the better

Let's not get carried away now.

seady said:
Nintendo got to improve its online store.

I don't know why no one has copy Apple yet. They are clearly successful with their open market, yet no one dare to follow them.

Why limit you games on a certain price range? Why can't more games be $.99 or free, or let the publisher change their price any time they want? Why can't games be released on any day of the week and now being forced to come out on Thursday? Why is there only certain number of games that can be released on the eShop every week? It they don't adapt and change they will soon be phased out.

In the past people keep saying the iTunes App Store structure is not working. But clearly it is working VERY WELL. Not only big publishers support it, but small/indie publishers get to shine every once a while.

Downloading games is the hot thing now. Even my little cousins and older relatives/friends know how to do it on their phone/iPod Touch etc.

Outside of the few hits like Cut the Rope and Angry Birds, how many developers are making serious buck on the Apple Store?

I don't play games on my iPhone anymore, but the last few times I tried to look and see what was available I found a store with like 4000 games. Out of those 4000 there's obviously a few making money but I can only imagine the majority of them are pretty much forgotten.

antonz

I sure hope all the people bitching in here about 3DS games are as quick to bitch about the Vita. Its entire existence is basically to be a me too port machine to the PS3

opticalmace said:

Ocarina of Time is only a remake of the best rated game of all time, no biggie.

Star Fox is a remake.

That's about it. As far as I'm concerned Dead or Alive is a new game in the series, and Super Street Fighter IV is just another platform the game's been released on, in addition to the PS3, 360, PC, and Arcade, if you want to include that.

StevieP

Banned
HolyTaco said:

Why wait? Sega's already making games for your preferred platform of choice.

HolyTaco said:

The important thing for Nintendo to take from this is that they messed up. In the long-term, this result will be good for gamers and good for Nintendo.

Sony fucked up in 2006 but they got back on track because they were desperate. A satisfied company is often a poor company.

The M.O.B

HolyTaco said:

The faster you go the way of the dinosaur the better.

antonz said:
I sure hope all the people bitching in here about 3DS games are as quick to bitch about the Vita. Its entire existence is basically to be a me too port machine to the PS3
IIRC its launch window lineup has few ports. Though, I may be remembering incorrectly.

Busaiku

opticalmace said:
Dead or Alive Dimensions isn't a port.
It and Samurai Warriors Chronicles are new games, but simply retellings of the series' history.

StevieP

Banned
HolyTaco said:
Ehn, I love me some Nintendo software. I'm just not a fan of their hardware. SUE ME
bender-doomed.jpg

Tenck

I was going to wait till Black Friday to get it bundled with something. Guess I don't have to wait anymore :D

Next Friday the 3DS is mine!

antonz said:

People get distracted by dat Uncharted to notice :p

I may be wrong but what vita launch games/ games are ports? Hot shots golf ? I think I heard capcom say lost planet 2 will make it's way there, and Metal gear solid 4 was a tech demo so I don't know.

Busaiku said:
It and Samurai Warriors Chronicles are new games, but simply retellings of the series' history.
Okay, I don't know much about the titles. I was just pointing out what he wrote in his (or her) post.

antonz said:
Is there a single port in the launch lineup?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
_Alkaline_ said:
No one wants to see quality companies in our industry perform poorly.
I do. I'm glad consumers aren't just blindly buying things from "quality companies" and are opting to make smarter choices with their purchasing habits.

StevieP

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I do. I'm glad consumers aren't just blindly buying things from "quality companies" and are opting to make smarter choices with their purchasing habits.

Exactly. I hear the fart app on IOS has sold a shitton.

Is there a single port in the launch lineup?

A big advantage to the Vita, according to both Sony and GAF, is easier porting from the current generation of consoles.

Vamphuntr

Sennorin said:
Wrong.

Ocarina of Time - Port <- remake
Pilotwings <- new game
Nintendogs <- new game
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars <- new game
Super Street Fighter IV -Port <- port, but playable on-the-go
Dead or Alive- Port <- new game/remake
Resident Evil Mercenaries -Port of a minigame <- new game
Star Fox (Japan) - Port <- remake
Professor Layton (Japan) <- new game

Even if we set aside for a second that you clearly attempted to troll (amateurishly), your statement of saying "most of these are ports" is objectively wrong.

That's not even trolling. You can classify them as remake if you want but the fact still remains that more than half of these games can be played on another hardware in one form or another. These are not the games that will make 3DS fly off the shelves. The proof is that with all of your amazing remake lineup they had to slash the price by 40% so soon after the launch.

You should really work at Capcom you would do wonders in the marketing department.

Eteric Rice

OldJadedGamer said:
What Parish ignores is that the system was overpriced to begin with. Dropping the price this soon really does nothing but show that this is the price it should have launched at anyway.

Personally I was expecting it to drop to $199.

$170 is a pretty nice deal, imo.

It also allows it to slide comfortably into where the DS was.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Nintendo are going to be ignored by consumers soon enough if they dont finally accept that they need a good internet service. The best thing about gaming on my ipod is just being able to instantly download and play games. Thats real innovation - not some 3d screen

Dance In My Blood said:

Consumer smart choices and the video game industry are two concepts that should rarely be linked.

BowieZ

Banned
HolyTaco said:
Man, that Parish article made me laugh. Nintendo delivers a sub par handheld - bad OS, bad software, bad hardware and crap online store
Umm... have you... actually used it for any length of time? None of these are true.

tino

Banned
Still looks like fisher price toy though. Why does it have two color in two panels (not to mention one glassy and one matte color), and why are the screens in different size?

The whole thing is a meh.

I wish they make a 3D-less 3DS, basically a DS plus.

tino said:
Still looks like fisher price toy though. Why does it have two color in two panels (not to mention one glassy and one matte color), and why are the screens different size?

The whole thing is a meh.

By the way guys, this is coming from the guy who just stated that he hopes DQ11 comes out on a real console.

StevieP said:
A big advantage to the Vita, according to both Sony and GAF, is easier porting from the current generation of consoles.
I thought most people when talking about this were talking as far as engine porting and not specifically games. Basically you can take your UE3 liscence and just start making Vita games without any real hassle.

StevieP

Banned
pieatorium said:
I thought most people when talking about this were talking as far as engine porting and not specifically games. Basically you can take your UE3 liscence and just start making Vita games without any real hassle.

Western developers aren't interested in either handheld. Aside from porting, of course.

tino

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
By the way guys, this is coming from the guy who just stated that he hopes DQ11 comes out on a real console.

AND? Are you going to fucking dispute my criticism of the look of the 3DS?

BowieZ

Banned
tino said:
AND? Are you going to fucking dispute my criticism of the look of the 3DS?
As someone who didn't like the look of the 3DS to begin with, I now love it.

In person, without grubby kids marks all over it like you see in demo booths, it is sexy as.

I also hated the blue at first but after playing with it, I ended up loving it and had to change my pre-order from black to blue.

StevieP said:
Western developers aren't interested in either handheld. Aside from porting, of course.
Theres a couple Japanes UE3 games, and it's not just UE3 but Square-Enix or whoever can just move their current PS3 engines to making Vita games.

Busaiku said:

It's a DOA4 upgrade like DOA Ultimate was for DOA2, Ultimate.
DOAU brought new graphics, online and new characters to an old game while DOAD is DOA4 with more (though none new) characters and a quest mode tacked on.

Nearly 6 Years and still waiting on DOA5....:(

Amir0x

Banned
seady said:
I think in order to battle mobile phone, dedicated handheld devices need to be LARGER instead of smaller. It should go on the path of iPad and offer slightly deeper experience (though not as deep as console games), along with proper control mechanic and not just touch. That's the kind of experience you can't compare with a mobile phone (big screen, d-pad, great sound etc)

The iPad was able to find a huge audience because it is NOT a phone. It can't be compare to a phone (despite people keep saying it is just a large iPod Touch or iPhone, but has since changed their tone). You can browse the web and play games much more comfortably on it than your tiny screen of a phone.

Once they try to make it small, then they are at risk of being compare to phone, and it is something a dedicated handheld gaming device will never be able to achieve in terms of versatility and mobility. Don't even try to get near it - especially when phone are coming out at such quick pace and in a year your 'dedicated' gaming device will be weaker in spec than those mainstream consumer phone out there.

I actually think Sony should have made the Vita larger.

The larger it gets, the more expensive it's going to get - and the more likely a parent is to avoid getting it for their child. And traditionally, that's the central pillar of the handheld market.

Parents get stuff like that when there's a whole load of functionality, but few are going to justify a $250+ gaming only handheld device, whether it's moderately portable or just plain big and awkward like Vita. If they go larger, it's just going to be parents like "do kids really need another videogame? Only this one they'll break in record time. really? I don't think so."

In my opinion Vita is just in an awkward spot. Again, Vita is the type of platform I want - but we know the industry doesn't care about what Amir0x wants.

StevieP

Banned
pieatorium said:
Theres a couple Japanes UE3 games, and it's not just UE3 but Square-Enix or whoever can just move their current PS3 engines to making Vita games.

Capcom's MT Framework is running on iPhone, 3DS, Vita, etc. What's your point? SquareEnix will make game for Vita and 3DS, just as they did for PSP and DS.

StevieP said:
Capcom's MT Framework is running on iPhone, 3DS, Vita, etc. What's your point? SquareEnix will make game for Vita and 3DS, just as they did for PSP and DS.
Um that the "port machine" you were talking about isn't just for straight porting of games?

I told my boyfriend about the Ambassador deal, and he's just gone out and brought a 3DS for himself. Genius of Nintendo to not only offer the games, but also have a window of opportunity for those who haven't dipped in yet - before the price cut comes into effect.

From a European POV, the GBA games are a MASSIVE boon for someone like me. The sceond-hand GBA market is incredibly rife with shitty pirate copies of games, which makes attaining any genuine title a complete pain in the ass (in my experience anyway) - I'll happilly take GBA VC titles over the risky second-hand market

The NES games are less exciting - though I only own Kirby's Adventure from the VC NES titles, so it'll be a nice little gesture for now. Considering people tend to still be willing to lay money down for those system titles, they are still worth having

All in all, hope this shock gets Nintendo off their laurels and coming out full barrels for the system now. I have no regrets as an early adopter (I got mine cheap at launch in the UK price wars anyhoo) and want to see the system get more than the paltry ports and remakes it's had to put up with

Tuck

Well this is a step in the right direction. I fully believe that Nintendo botched the launch of the 3DS. They made mistake after mistake. (I know these have probably been covered, but I felt like writing them out anyways).

-Named it the 3DS, which makes people think it is just a revision (Which, by the way, is the exact same mistake they are making with the Wii U. Yes, the DS and Wii brand have a lot of power behind them, but the names need to differentiate them enough to make people know that they are their own things.

-No games. Well, okay, there were games. A couple. But were those games really worth 40 dollars? I don't think so. The system should have had Ocarina at launch, and as other have mentioned, the other games should not be 40 dollars.

-Online fail: The store wasn't even ready for launch. This is probably the biggest proof that they rushed the launch. And now that it is here, you can tell that they still don't get it. They are making progress, but they only went half in, rather than all in.

-The system looks like a prototype, and like a DS revision.

-Way too expensive for what it is.

The price cut helps, for sure. It corrects one of their mistakes. But I think I am going to wait for a revision, or at least the games to start arriving (Thankfully, we know they are on the way). If Nintendo wants to compete with Apple, which they are going to need to, as Iwata has even said, they can't half ass things. I fully believe Nintendo rushed to launch, and now it seems like they're being bitten in the ass because of it. And they deserve to be, too.

I'm quite certain Nintendo has taken note of their retail partners concerns about market confusion on the DS and 3DS lines.

Clearly the price drop is only a step towards amending their mistakes. The games to come will make the most difference. Customer education has got to follow in the form of top marketing dollar to make customers realize this is not just another DS revision. To this effect, I fully expect Nintendo to hold back on 3DS hardware updates for the considerable future to prevent this development from happening again.

Save for small tweaks to the current model, say the screen scratching incident I think Nintendo will be more guarded about releasing major hardware updates going forward. Take due note that if you're holding out for a 3DSlite, you may be waiting a long time.

Belfast

Won't lie. I'm not usually one of those guys, but I do kind of want my money back now. :( Free NES games aren't going to cut it.

Crosspostin' from the Q1 results thread: David Gibson has been livetweeting from Nintendo's supplemental results meeting in (I think) Tokyo. Looking forward to the transcript (I hope) tomorrow, though the lack of a presentation makes me wonder if we'll have to wait a bit longer than usual.

gibbogame David Gibson
No share buy-back as short term, focused on long term, shareholder return comes from improving 3ds by year end
3 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Need to be more flexible and work with other platforms and use them. Hardware+soft brings value
4 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
No intention to sell ip on other platforms,but need to take advantage of other platforms they don't have to increase the value of software
6 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Not concerned about people getting tiredness from 3d, will be doing software that is not 3ds focus, perhaps digital side
14 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
For 3ds and wiiu we are strongly aiming on digital side
26 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Digital is where we are yet to expand and where we are aiming for, been doing trial and error so far
27 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Plan very soon to announce strategy for combination of digital and packaged and synergy between the two
28 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Original DS at 15000yen was not profitable and 3ds is further unprofitable, as volume expands cost down effect
32 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
On price cut large us retailer told them "feel like christmas is already here"
35 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Needs to deliver game experience what mobile phones cannot offer
41 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Aim is to combine social and real networks, synergise and maximise, aiming for new software this fy and next
42 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Said has no conclusion yet on sns impact, claimed no correllation between sns growing and nint sales down
50 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Aim to recover trust by 3ds recovery, no slides or presentation, into q&a now with first question on sns impact from fido
51 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Retailers decide over summer for xmas, developers won't then reduce plans for next yr
55 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Price cut now because 1) so install base higher ahead of own title launches and hence success 2) message to developers and retailers
57 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
President iwata walks in carrying his macbook, ironic
1 hour ago

gibbogame David Gibson
3ds line-up for third party doesn't show MGS which is surprising, not sure if it was on list, could be a delay
1 hour ago

gibbogame David Gibson
At nintendo results meeting, supplimentary data shows mario party 9 for wii which is new but no date so could be next year
1 hour ago

Tuck said:
I fully believe Nintendo rushed to launch, and now it seems like they're being bitten in the ass because of it. And they deserve to be, too.

The way I see it the real beginning of the 3DS's life cycle has and always will be this holiday season. Nintendo released it earlier in the year to allow all of the early adopters to pick it up at a higher price (Iwata said that the the price was raised because of the positive reaction at E3 2010). I don't think they expected the 3DS to do as poorly as it did, and I think the steep price drop reflects that, but surely they planned at least a $50 drop by the end of the year if not early next year. Releasing a handheld a little early, slowly rolling things out (the online store, VC store etc) and then being fully prepared by the end of the year doesn't seem to me to be a failure. They probably wanted to have these things ready sooner, however, I think we can only spell doom when the holiday season has passed and sales haven't taken off. I mean, all of their major 2011 titles are releasing in Q4. Sure it sucks for early adopters, but it always sucks for early adopters one way or another.

Amir0x

Banned
gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

niiice

it's kind of endearing to see an executive like that take responsibility for a failing. Some companies could use humility like that

Belfast said:
Won't lie. I'm not usually one of those guys, but I do kind of want my money back now. :( Free NES games aren't going to cut it.

IAWTP

If I knew the system was going to be 80 bucks cheaper in a few months I would not have jumped on board, and no amount of free NES games is gonna change that. GBA are nicer because I never played any of them, but still...upset about this.

Akainu

Are those orange 3ds out? I don't even really want one but, I'd actually buy one for the color alone. There aren't enough orange systems.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
In my opinion Vita is just in an awkward spot. Again, Vita is the type of platform I want - but we know the industry doesn't care about what Amir0x wants.

Thankfully. :p

And thankfully the industry can support so many different types of gamers.

Top Bottom