• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

farnham

Banned
http://www.ruliweb.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=30071&table=game_nds&main=nds

An Email from Nintendo JP Support reveals that the 3DS will have region codes similar to DSi and DSi LL (XL in America). :(
ニンテンド ーDS、DS Liteには設定されておりませんが、
There are no Region codes in DS and DSlite
DSi、DSi LL、3DS本 体にはリ ージョンコ ードが設定されております。
But DSI, DSILL,3DS has Regioncodes.
リ ージョンコ ードはゲ ーム機本 体とゲ ームソフトそれぞれに
The Region Codes are installed in each games and the 3DS itself.
設定されており、 両方のリ ージョンコ ードが一致しないと
If the codes dont match
ご使用いただけません。
You cant play
仕向地 国により、リ ージョンコ ードが異なるため、例えば、
If the region codes are different. For example
日本仕 様のゲ ーム機本 体で韓 国仕 様のゲ ームソフトを動かす
If you play a korean 3DS game with a Japanese 3DS system
(又はその逆)ということができない仕 様となっております。
(or vice versa) you wont be able to play at all.

yeah no thanks nintendo. bye bye 3ds until region free homebrew is released.

I don't like it, but I'm getting one anyway at launch. I'm just hoping we see all games here in Europe as well. If it's a mess I'll get a US Lite when it's available.

duckroll

This won't have any impact on me for at least another year or more. Hopefully by the time KH3D is coming out, hackers will have it all sorted out.

Xater

This plus the possible price killed the thing for me. Let's wait for people to hack this thing before I buy it.

farnham

Banned
iamaustrian said:
blame piracy, not nintendo
what does piracy have to do with region codes ?
duckroll said:
This won't have any impact on me for at least another year or more. Hopefully by the time KH3D is coming out, hackers will have it all sorted out.
i want my weird japanesey 3DS games

SmokyDave

farnham said:
what does piracy have to do with region codes ?
If anything, I'd think it was the other way round. Circumventing regional coding neccesitates custom firmware which then unfortunately enables piracy.

duckroll

Guys, I think he's talking about real pirates. The one who hijack and rob incoming shipments by sea, and then proceed to sell the games back in their own regions for 1/5 the price. Surely region coding will deter such horrible acts from being committed!

farnham

Banned
SmokyDave said:
If anything, I'd think it was the other way round. Circumventing regional coding neccesitates custom firmware which then unfortunately enables piracy.

cough cough wiibrew

i installed it because of region locking and i dont pirate games but man it would be easy as hell for me
duckroll said:
Guys, I think he's talking about real pirates. The one who hijack and rob incoming shipments by sea, and then proceed to sell the games back in their own regions for 1/5 the price. Surely region coding will deter such horrible acts from being committed!
oh

that makes sense

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I was outside Nintendo's HQ today, should have put up a sign >_>

Jikagi

I was expecting that, but I didn't want it to happen. I'm going to Japan next year for a year so I was going to bring the 3DS I bought from the US but now I won't be able to buy any games for it. Would the StreetPass feature still work with a US 3DS in Japan?

farnham

Banned
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ugh :(

So, fellow Euro-GAF who regularly import - which region of 3DS are you going to buy?
lets see

i want my japanesey 3ds games

i want my us games because some japanesey 3ds games wont get released in europe

i want my cheap uk games from zavvi and co

so ill have to buy all 3 or wait until a nice gentleman hacks the thing

is dsi hacked btw ? (it also has region locking)

GhaleonQ

duckroll said:

If you'd have told me in 2004 that I'd have custom firmware on every future system I'd own, I'd have thought I'd become a pirating douchebag.

Way to go, Nintendo!

farnham said:
lets see

i want my japanesey 3ds games

i want my us games because some japanesey 3ds games wont get released in europe

i want my cheap uk games from zavvi and co

so ill have to buy all 3 or wait until a nice gentleman hacks the thing

is dsi hacked btw ? (it also has region locking)

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I bought a Japanese and US Wii at launch which suits me well, but with the price that UK games drop to a couple of weeks/months after release, a UK system would be handy. I wish I was as rich as I was back in 2006 and I'd just buy all 3 :p

Pooya

lol, I won't touch the PAL 3DS even with a ten foot pole now, I was going to get it from States during my summer trip anyway! it will be cheaper too this way.

snap0212

JustAnotherOtaku said:
So, fellow Euro-GAF who regularly import - which region of 3DS are you going to buy?
I'll get a PAL unit (first). I don't speak Japanese so I only import very few Japanese games. I'm not really happy about not having the option to import whatever I want, but I can deal with it, I think. I just hope Nintendo gets their Online Store for DD right... if it's like Xbox Live, I'm totally fine. If it's like Sony's PlayStation Network it'll be really bad.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
I don't mind importing games from North America, but I'm not going to buy a brand new system without warranty. I guess I'll either have to wait for someone to crack the system or miss out on niche RPG not available in Europe.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ugh :(

EU first, US later (depending on whether lots of titles get released in the US, but not in the EU).

I also wonder if regioning is up to publishers or whether it's mandatory.

duckroll

Tempy said:
EU first, US later (depending on whether lots of titles get released in the US, but not in the EU).

I also wonder if regioning is up to publishers or whether it's mandatory.

If the DSi is any indication, I'll say it's mandatory.

Corto

Expected... No surprises here.

5918.jpg

Balb

The 3DS is basically the anti-Game Boy in just about all of its principles.

Still getting it on day one though.

snap0212 said:
I'll get a PAL unit (first). I don't speak Japanese so I only import very few Japanese games. I'm not really happy about not having the option to import whatever I want, but I can deal with it, I think. I just hope Nintendo gets their Online Store for DD right... if it's like Xbox Live, I'm totally fine. If it's like Sony's PlayStation Network it'll be really bad.

I'm leaning towards a UK one first, but only because it'll be cheaper initially. My problem is that my DS library is split something like 40/40/20 in terms of Japanese/US/UK games so each region of 3DS is a viable option for me, assuming things stay as they are (Japan getting the unique games, US getting the best RPGs before the UK and the UK having the best prices for me).

As for the downloadable 3DS stuff, I hate being negative about these things but if the DSi region lock was an indication of what would happen with 3DS, the WiiWare/DSiWare region specific stores are probably an indication of what will happen with 3DS as well :(

This won't affect me not getting the system, due to game prices often lower in Europe over time. However they did ruin one of the most appealing things with portable games, being able to play any games. I definitely will look forward to someone breaking this region lock aslong as it doesn't make me unable to play the 3ds normally.

It could be easy to get a US 3ds while in the US. However as some have stated, not having warranty is terrible and not a risk worth it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Tempy said:
Regioning does not stop piracy, nor is regioning meant as a deterrent to piracy.
Indeed. But ironically - Nintendo's official comment on region-coding few years back was that it's meant to be a piracy prevention measure (when they introduced Korean region code for Wii out of nowhere).

Top Bottom