• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
At their E3 Conference, Nintendo has revealed the 3DS:

• 3DS is the final name.
  • Uses a clamshell design like the original DS.
  • 3D on top screen, touchscreen on bottom.
  • Includes an analog nub.
  • Full BC with the Nintendo DS and DSi has been confirmed since like the Jurassic era.

http://kotaku.com/5564149/a-whos-who-of-games-is-developing-for-the-3ds

Nintendo touted a lineup of 20 top publishers on board to develop games for the new 3DS, including titles such as Street Fighter IV, Ninja Gaiden and the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

The titles mentioned include:DJ Hero 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Saints Row, Madden NFL, Dead or Alive 3D, Ninja Gaiden, Street Fighter IV, Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid, Professor Layton, and Samurai Warriors.

Discuss away!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I'm not a fan of handhelds but I was actually impressed by the thing. If its launch lineup is strong enough, I may be there day 1.

derder

I'm not sure how they're going to market this. I would say that there should be lots of kiosks, but all of the ds kiosks I've ever used were beat to shit within days.

Kayhan

n4i1oy.gif

twitter said:
Andrew Pfister - I'm in the chorus. The 3D looks great (same when it's off). Slide pad feels vastly superior to PSP nub.

Dan Hsu - "Whoa...the 3D on the 3DS is stunning. Very crisp. Legitimately works...true 3D without glasses."

John Davison - "Just got hands on with 3DS. It's un-freakin-believable. Gorgeous screen, fantastic sense of depth"

Geoff Keighley - "Just went hands on with 3ds. Wow!! This thing is amazing, best thing of show so far."

Kaeru

Banned
Unless PSP2 can literall suck my penis then I dont see SONY even beginning to try to triumph this.
Nintendo will be kings for another 5-10 years.
AWESOME, and then I havent seen the 3D effect yet(which from various impressions seems to be awesome)

Ponn

Banned
You got me Nintendo. I never thought I would be saying I was excited for another Nintendo console again, and a 3D one to boot but i'm onboard for this. Really really excited for it, probably more so then if Sony announced a PSP2 today. It's 3D done the right way for me and the support for it seems to be really strong. I just want to know the price, the date and just confirmation that it would be backwards compatible with DS games (with the 3D slider and design I think thats a given but you never know).

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ummmmm, perhaps I'm alone but I was definitely expecting a bigger leap in gfx than that, PSP still seems to have the edge if that video was anything to go by.

angelfly

The one thing I want to know is whether it'll be region free or not? Considering the direction they headed with DSi I imagine it'll use regions in which case I'll be importing.

beex

Neo Member
did they say when it was coming out? I wasn't paying attention.
And I hope that it comes in different colors, that teal color is disgusting. Not that it really matters I guess.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't like the glossy finish.
Seems shinier than DSLite.

But.

Everything else looked great.

Graphics didn't wow me for Icarus, about on par with PSP, but the framerate rocked.

Those future games though.. yes!

donny2112

Nintendo's coming into this from a huge position of strength, and with those titles announced (including Kingdom Hearts and some mention of Final Fantasy), the first thing that went through my mind was "3DS is the new PS2." Except now with Nintendo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fantastic line up. Will get this.

But the problem that poses is the price. 3D cameras are pretty expensive (Fujifilm cam is almost $500 last time I checked).

Pagusas

Elden Member
Based off the KI video, It looks like the hardware does NOT have texture filtering still. There appeared to be ZERO filtering in the video, everything had sharp pixilated textures. That just doesnt makes any sence at all to me.

Also the resolution looked horribly low. They may not have increased the resolution at all (except to accommodated the wider screen). If so thats a crying shame.

Why was Kid Icarus the only game actually shown? Unless there's a ton of additional info on software included in the press materials, and multiple playable titles on the show floor, I no longer expect the system to launch this year.

And yeah, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the graphics, but I suppose KI is early in development.

Also, wondering if RE Revelations is the same game that was announced for PSP at Sony's conference last year.

I'm disappointed that so many of the additions seem to unbalance the system. Take 3D pictures! On one side. Have analog control! On one side. Have a 3D widescreen! On one side. Still a touch screen on just the other side. All that said, let me have one now please. It's still a DS with a shitton of improvements and additions.

So the ability for it to auto-communicate regardless of what game is in sounds like a nice improvement, too. They didn't get this specific, but I wonder if it can do multiple games' "tag modes" at once? That is, if the saves of Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest Whatever, and Nintendogs+cats are all on the system, could it be made to do the sharing for any of those games? Would certainly increase the chances of them ever actually finding a match.

Yay to clamshell design, too. :)

Pagusas said:
Based off the KI video, It looks like the hardware does NOT have texture filtering still. There appeared to be ZERO filtering in the video, everything had sharp pixilated textures. That just doesnt makes any sence at all to me.

Also the resolution looked horribly low. They may not have increased the resolution at all (except to accommodated the wider screen). If so thats a crying shame.
?? It looked a lot higher resolution to me, comparing how both it and Golden Sun were looking.

Drame

Totally picking two of these bad boys up at launch.

The developer support for the system floored me. Seems that I'll have good time with my 3DS in the future! :D

Instro

There alot of stuff on the press site, screens for alot of 3DS games like MGS, Street Fighter, RE, Kingdom Hearts etc.

Varion

angelfly said:
The one thing I want to know is whether it'll be region free or not? Considering the direction they headed with DSi I imagine it'll use regions in which case I'll be importing.
Yeah I really hope someone asks that. Really hope it's region free, but we'll see.

Either way, day one. Loved it.

Magnus

lowrider007 said:
ummmmm, perhaps I'm alone but I was definitely expecting a bigger leap in gfx than that, PSP still seems to have the edge if that video was anything to go by.

It's Nintendo. Anyone actually believing it would outdo the PS2/Wii, nevermind even begin to approach the HD consoles, was in fantasy land.

GCX

There's stuff like StarFox, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Super Street Fighter IV and Etrian Odyssey on the official games list.

donny2112

Oh, and with 3-D movies apparently going to be coming, this'll likely be a cheap entry for the mass market into being able to watch 3-D movies outside a theater. The rumored $200 price (20K Yen) doesn't seem so high, then. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The 3DS really impressed me. The whole Nintendo conference was awesome. I've never been more excited to own a Wii.

I can't wait for the 3DS. Sony is going to have to pull off something amazing to compete with this and considering how many big-name publishers and titles are already on board for the 3DS, I doubt they will.

DonMigs85

Pagusas said:

That may have more to do with Youtube's compression. I'm fairly certain the filtering will be at least on par with PSP.

Hela said:
So it probably won't launch this year, since they didn't metion it, right?
I don't know. I took the fact that they had hundreds of apparently near-final units ready to demonstrate as a sign that things are pretty far along.

yankee666

Finally the wait is over... :D . Im really excited about the 3DS. I was watching the post lding a conference on the nintendo site (Sort of Iwata ask live) and i notice that miyamoto was holding a fully black 3DS, so we can expect diferent colors at launch.
Now all i need are some tech specs like screen res, battery life and SoC then im pleased

Doel

Getting awesome praise on twitter:

Andrew Pfister - I'm in the chorus. The 3D looks great (same when it's off). Slide pad feels vastly superior to PSP nub.

Dan Hsu - "Whoa...the 3D on the 3DS is stunning. Very crisp. Legitimately works...true 3D without glasses."

John Davison - "Just got hands on with 3DS. It's un-freakin-believable. Gorgeous screen, fantastic sense of depth"

Geoff Keighley - "Just went hands on with 3ds. Wow!! This thing is amazing, best thing of show so far."

:D

kaskade

I reeeaaaally wish I could see the 3d for myself. I liked the taking 3d picture feature too. Nintendo really brought it with this conference. I wonder if it will be released this fall(probs not).

Hela

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know. I took the fact that they had hundreds of apparently near-final units ready to demonstrate as a sign that things are pretty far along.
Thought so as well, but they'd probably mention at least something, if not a specific date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom