• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
GaimeGuy said:
Maybe we'll see a Mother 1+3 compilation for the 3DS? :D :D :D
:(

Virtual Handheld. Miracles have happened on VC before (e.g. Sin and Punishment). I wouldn't be surprised if Mother 1+2 and 3 appeared on VH.
Well actually I would be, just a little bit. But I can still see it happening.

BDGAME

abstract alien said:
One last question and Ill shut up. How exactly does "sending eye dependent images" work? Is it just due to the slightly different angles each of your eyes view the screen, or something deeper than that?

It's easy. Watch this video and you will understand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ESItZPieE&feature=player_embedded

For everyone that don't understand how sharp's screen works, this test will explain: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/12/3d_illusion/

But it's not diferent from what I say here:

1 - 3DS make a vetorial image. Polygons, fisic, AI and other effects are make only a time here.

2 - From that scene are take 2 pictures. Now 3DS will apply the "maps" from this pictures with the right light for both angles. Bump mapping, reflective mapping, transparency mapping, normal mapping and other will be processed twice. It's can look difficult but I believe that it's simpler than make it for a split screen game. The final result are 2 pictures:

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

3 - Now using the sharps dual layer screen, we has a result like a interloped image:

LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR

The first video i put in this post show how the barrier take that one screen and send the rigth imagem for the rigth eye. It's simple in the end.

Of course that a developer that don't use 3D will have a "extra-power" to make his game. But don't think it's a lot. Understand?

jarosh

so, assuming the info about the vertical pixel by pixel rendering is correct, this should illustrate it pretty clearly (sorry for the size, i know it's huge):

3ds-topscreen-new.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
jarosh, very nice diagrams there, but the aspect ratio of the images for each eye will not be 5:3 - they'd still be 10:3 ;p

edit: oops, totally overlooked the display's physical AR. my bad, 5:3 it is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cow Mengde said:
Ah, so no need for 120 fps then. That's good. It really doesn't seem like the 3DS can handle 120 fps unless it's running something like Quake.

Even PS3 doesn't need 120fps. For a 60fps game in 3D, you just make a 1280 x 1440 image and output it. The TV then unpacks that to a L and R image and displays them alternately (actually slightly taller than that, as there is a gap between the two for some reason)

In the end, its all the same. Computer creates two frame buffers with L and R images. The way that is output differs depending on the technology being used - PS3 uses frame packed approach, 3DS vertically interleaves the two buffers into one and the parallax barrier does its thing.

jarosh

mrklaw said:
apart from the unnecessary width of the first three images in each case.
huh? how is it unnecessary? that's the correct resolution. to get all the pixels into the illustration i HAVE to use the full 800 pixels. you wouldn't be able to see the alternating lines of each frame otherwise. look at the combined kid icarus pic. if it was 400 x 240 you would simply get an overlay of one frame at 50% opacity instead of alternating lines. like the last shot in this first illustration i posted. and that's inaccurate. "sadly" our computer displays have square pixels (and the 3ds' top screen obviously does not) so there is no better way to illustrate this. i can't cut the pixels in half :p

I love you! Great work <3 <3

I hope that way all the questions are adressed. We need to post this image on every page now like clipper is doing with the HB picture :)

jarosh said:
"sadly" our computer displays have square pixels (and the 3ds' top screen obviously does not) so there is no better way to illustrate this.
Well, only by making it even larger. An 800x480 image where each single 3DS pixel is represented on screen by 2 vertical pixels would show the split and keep the 5:3 ratio.

I'll just go ahead and do so with the appropriate part from your image, though every time it goes through JPEG compression again a bit of quality is lost.
262w9qv.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5590846/even-many-metal-gear-creators-didnt-know-about-metal-gear-3ds

Shawn Eyestone, Kojima Productions: "That whole thing, it was really like a top secret thing. .. The way Kojima Productions works is that mostly everyone is on the same floor. We're up in the [censored] floor. But for that project they actually got a separate room down on the [censored] floor. And they had a special passcode to get in there… So for the first month or so it really was just the core guys who were doing the tech, looking at it, the programmers... those were the only guys who were really aware of this…

Chris Johns, Kojima Productions: "We knew something was going on. Because we knew people were going somewhere and doing other work, but they couldn't say why or what they were doing.

Eyestone: "So there were all these rumors flying around in the studio: 'What are they doing down there?' 'I think maybe it's this…' There were all these conspiracies…

Mark MacDonald, podcast guest, 8-4 Ltd.: "I want to know what some of the conspiracies [were]…PSP2?

Eyestone: "That was a common one."

MacDonald: "I heard it was PS4."

Eyestone: "Not too may PS4… but there was a lot of PSP2 rumors going around and there was 3DS [rumors] going around. I think most people kind of had an idea that it was one of those two. But it wasn't until maybe a month before the unveiling that they started bringing more people in. You know, that whole demo, it's pretty hard to believe, that whole thing got developed in about two months. It was a really accelerated schedule. The first month was the core tech guys, a few key people on there, and then one month into it they started bringing in more artists so they could flesh out all the assets.

…

"About a month before E3 they let us down there … of course we had to localize that as well, put in the English voices.. David Hayter [who plays Snake] and Lori Alan [who plays The Boss] are in there.. we came into it at that point. It still wasn't done at that point… the first time I saw it it floored me. "

Also, seems there was some European event or something?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
--Monday, July 19, 2010--

Today, I dreamed about the 3ds again. This time, I was playing Resident Evil Revelations.
I fear with the frequency of these dreams and the uncertainty of a release date, I will go insane.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Serenade said:

Today, I dreamed about the 3ds again. This time, I was playing Resident Evil Revelations.
I fear with the frequency of these dreams and the uncertainty of a release date, I will go insane.

Itchy. Tasty.

Serenade said:

Inception.

wrowa

Vic said:
Yeah, they had one in France days ago.
Not only in France, but also in Germany and probably in every other major market of Europe. They are doing those "Post E3" events every year.

Gravijah

Sammy Samusu said:
I think Resident Evil archives are fuking great, especially those diary pages. @_@

Best part of Resident Evil, imo! Anyone who skips all the diaries and stuff isn't truly playing Resident Evil.

Gahh I want to see some gameplay of games! I can only re-watch the kid icarus video so many times!

But I can't help but think that Nintendo may not want developers, or themselves, to showcase gameplay in videos because it's not the full 3D experience until you watch it on the 3DS. So Nintendo could tell developers to promote their games with an abstract video like the Reggie/Miyamoto/Iwata 3DS promo video. IDK I hope not.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
3DS anticipation is gonna be the end of NeoGAF. If we don't get some hard details soon, we're all gonna splode.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
perfectchaos007 said:
Gahh I want to see some gameplay of games! I can only re-watch the kid icarus video so many times!

But I can't help but think that Nintendo may not want developers, or themselves, to showcase gameplay in videos because it's not the full 3D experience until you watch it on the 3DS. So Nintendo could tell developers to promote their games with an abstract video like the Reggie/Miyamoto/Iwata 3DS promo video. IDK I hope not.
That's not it. There must be an NDA in order until the 3DS is fully revealed (launch date, price, features, etc).

ILikeFeet

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:

and yet, somehow, RE: Revelations video was put out.

I think third parties are just waiting until their games are more complete.
We'll likely get some good stuff at the fall conference, though.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
I think third parties are just waiting until their games are more complete.
We'll likely get some good stuff at the fall conference, though.
Last year, fall conference was MIA right?
Want my 3DS nao.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
ILikeFeet said:
and yet, somehow, RE: Revelations video was put out.
Maybe Nintendo saw how good it looked and gave them a special exception.

It really does look like they're preventing videos from being released.

Boney said:
Last year, fall conference was MIA right?
Want my 3DS nao.

Yeah, but this year, they kind of have to have something.
They need a place to show off all the features of the 3DS, announce a date and a price and stuff like that.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yeah, but this year, they kind of have to have something.
They need a place to show off all the features of the 3DS, announce a date and a price and stuff like that.
They could always come to my house and do it.

Hell, I'll even make them some guacamole.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Krev said:
Maybe Nintendo saw how good it looked and gave them a special exception.

It really does look like they're preventing videos from being released.

and The Naked Sample did't get released? I know it's a tech demo and all, but if they are going for technical proweress, then that is the one to show, along with RE, and hell, Kingdom Hearts

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Dreamwriter said:
Why Kingdom Hearts? I saw that demo at E3, looked a lot like the PS2 game, but great 3D. Definitely not a tech showcase.
That was just a demo, probably won't be in the final game. His thinking is probably that SE can't push a system to its limits, and the KH BBS looks fantastic.

And anyways I think those graphics are impressive on the 3DS. If it looks like a PS2 game (a good looking PS2 game at that) I think that would make for a good game to showcase tech.

ILikeFeet said:
and The Naked Sample did't get released? I know it's a tech demo and all, but if they are going for technical proweress, then that is the one to show, along with RE, and hell, Kingdom Hearts
Square-Enix is notoriously tight on their trailers being released publicly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will 3DS feature a trophy/achievement system or something?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ULTROS! said:
Nothing really confirmed yet as far as I know. There was interview on the official Nintendo E3 site where a developer at E3 said that they were excited about the new features of the 3DS including an achievement system, but people were saying he was just talking about EA nation or something.

ULTROS! said:

If Nintendo consoles feature E-penis trophies my life will be officially over...:lol People will buy shovelware till their hands bleeds to get Ultimate scores

ULTROS! said:

Maybe they do the smart thing and give you stars for club Nintendo and then maybe trophy/achievement will have a fucking point to it, Other then just ass hole showing off how little of a real life they have.

jump_button said:
Maybe they do the smart thing and give you stars for club Nintendo and then maybe trophy/achievement will have a fucking point to it, Other then just ass hole showing off how little of a real life they have.

Ok, now that would kick arse, I'd gladly achievement hunt for something like that! :D

Sadly that will never happen. Oh and there's no way that Nintendo will copy MS and Sony's systems. If they do decide to have a similar system, they'll do it differently.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ok, now that would kick arse, I'd gladly achievement hunt for something like that! :D

Sadly that will never happen. Oh and there's no way that Nintendo will copy MS and Sony's systems. If they do decide to have a similar system, they'll do it differently.

i know but they give way stars anway in games so why not just put them as a achievement like stars?

50 stars = Bronze star
100 stars = Silver star
500 stars = Gold star

Swap your Stars for Nintendo Points at the Nintendo Points will get me to care about any trophy/achievement system

they give so much stars away in games why not make us get them first only the hard care fan will get all the points so Big N will make it fans happy and give a fucking point to have a trophy/achievement system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom