• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 64 Mini?

ExpandKong

Banned
I'd love one just for the hacking potential of the other two minis, but I think this is where the cost vs profit starts to hit a wall for Nintendo. Controllers would be slightly more complex, and rights issues for some of the N64's biggest games would impact the library on the thing...plus yeah early 3D games do be ugly so it might be a hard sell to a wider audience.

Tempted to just splurge on an Everdrive 64 rather than wait for a solid, non-fiddly N64 emulator.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Honestly i prefer SNES or GC.

For me N64 Was a dissapoint console in many aspects
I would love to have an emulator just to play Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, and a handful of others. I played a lot of ported games on N64, so if a mini was made...guaranteed those ported games won't be in the lot. I agree, many consoles we grew up with are/have passed the decade or 1/4 century mark since their release; that doesn't mean they were gold. I can think of 30 or more titles that sucked in the worst polygonal way on 64 and only 7 that would convince me to buy the console back (have my 64 to my brother when I moved to Mexico in 2016).

Slightly off topic: Consoles I don't wish to see mini versions of: Intellivision, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Master System, and PS1...oops...too late on that last one 😔

Last edited:

Romulus

None of these minis make sense to me other than collectors. Even the N64 one. 95% of the games are emulated well on old ass hardware.

Doom85

None of these minis make sense to me other than collectors. Even the N64 one. 95% of the games are emulated well on old ass hardware.

Well, the Gamecube one would "make sense" then as GC games never made it to any of the Nintendo Virtual Consoles. That's the one I want the most honestly. But a N64 mini would be cool, as would a GBC one (and god, if they did a GBA SP one, oh that would be god-like).

Romulus

Well, the Gamecube one would "make sense" then as GC games never made it to any of the Nintendo Virtual Consoles. That's the one I want the most honestly. But a N64 mini would be cool, as would a GBC one (and god, if they did a GBA SP one, oh that would be god-like).

Have you tried Dolphin on PC? It runs on really old PC hardware and still far better looking than on the original gamecube. Controller support, everything. Doesn't even need a dedicated GPU lol to emulate.

Last edited:

TheMan

Most of the early 3d games have aged like Trump's ass. There are probably just a handful that would still hold up. Unfortunately, the best games from that era were actually 2d and the N64 hardly got any of them.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That would be great, I also want a Saturn Mini!

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Check an ED64Plus instead. It is cheap and it has 100% compatibility.

Actually in the time between my posting that and your replying to it I bought one off etsy. A++ purchase would recommend. I played Tetrisphere earlier today. I love that shit and don’t know why.

Top Bottom