• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

kulapik

At a preview event for Metroid: Samus Returns, Nintendo finally clarified amiibo support for the game, especially with regards to how Hard Mode will work in the game. As it turns out, this probably was a case where better communication could have cleared up the whole problem.

Here's the lowdown of what Nintendo told USgamer. When I asked Nintendo representatives at the preview event if hard mode was locked behind amiibos, they were clear to make the distinction. "Fusion Mode," they corrected me. Yes, Fusion Mode—which will give players access to Samus' Fusion Suit as well as a more challenging difficulty in the game—is indeed locked behind the Metroid amiibo. This content will not be offered as a separate DLC in Nintendo's digital eShop. However, there will be a standard hard mode that will be unlockable once players complete the game on regular difficulty. This mode, which is confusingly separate from the Fusion Mode's own harder difficulty, won't be locked behind any amiibo.

It was previously reported that an amiibo tie-in for Metroid: Samus Returns will unlock hard mode for the game. In fact, purchasing the amiibo would be the only way for players to access the Fusion Mode content, making it a mandatory accessory if players wanted to access everything Samus Returns has to offer. This is still the case, only Nintendo failed to explain that the Fusion Mode difficulty is separate from a standard Hard Mode. Nintendo's reluctance to clarify the matter, simply pointing media outlets to the vague Facebook post, certainly didn't help assuage worries about how fans could only access the game's full content by purchasing the amiibo set.

In our preview of Samus Returns, we mentioned that amiibo support for the game is completely optional, which is still technically true. However, it's also technically true that there are bonuses in the game, from image galleries to the aforementioned Fusion Mode which can only be accessed via amiibo support. So if you really do want to see everything Samus Returns has to offer, you will have to pick up some amiibo to go with it. Luckily, the amiibo aren't tied to any specific account, so you could just borrow your friend's amiibo to unlock the content in your copy of Samus Returns if you're so inclined.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-addresses-the-metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-controversy

13ruce

Banned
Good news this should calm down people alot.

Edit: don't take this one seriously anymore yeah it was a dumb comment lol i acknowledge that. I am against lockin of significant content behind Amiibo's too.

Zombine

Banned
It's still the fact that I can't just walk into the store and buy those Amiibo easily that pisses me off.

Calm Mind

So Fusion Mode is even harder than Hard Mode?

God damn it.

image.php

Yukinari

I dont think any difficulty mode period should be locked behind an amiibo but if people really wanted to make this stop then you wouldnt be preordering the amiibo in the first place.

I will buy the game and download the amiibo i want and business goes on as usual.

Ridley327

So, in other words, there's a hard mode you unlock in the game itself via normal means, but Fusion mode still requires the Metroid Amiibo and is more challenging than that mode (I'm guessing you take even more damage?)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Still not addressing the problem. Fusion mode is different from the standard hard mode.

Edit: I mean, if the only difference between hard and fusion is the suit, okay, but they haven't even cleared that up.

Yeah I'm not seeing any blurb where Fusion Mode is any harder or different aside from having Fusion Suit.

Unless maybe it adds in X, and that adds difficulty? Iunno.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm not seeing where they say that? They don't really note any differences outside of one of them features the Fusion suit.

This

which will give players access to Samus' Fusion Suit as well as a more challenging difficulty in the game

and this

only Nintendo failed to explain that the Fusion Mode difficulty is separate from a standard Hard Mode

Seems to imply Fusion Mode is harder than Hard Mode.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So hard mode can be unlocked through standard means, but extra hard mode is locked behind Amiibos. Gotcha.

So, as usual, a content that would have never been developed without amiibo will be amiibo based
While the usual contents will be accessible

Or someone really thinks wolf link would have been added to botw without the existence of the related amiibo?

LordRaptor

Hey, people mad that super-extra-hard mode is locked behind a plastic toy, here's how to unlock your own super hard mode for free:
don't collect energy tanks

you're welcome

The difficulty is available after beating the game.

After beating the game if you own the amiibo.

Hey, people mad that super-extra-hard mode is locked behind a plastic toy, here's how to unlock your own super hard mode for free:

you're welcome

Next time in ridiculous statements: "This game isn't easy if you play it with your eyes closed".

So, as usual, a content that would have never been developed without amiibo will be amiibo based
While the usual contents will be accessible

Or someone really thinks wolf link would have been added to botw without the existence of the related amiibo?

Yes, Nintendo never made any unlockables before. Come on, this is ridiculous.

KingBroly

Banned
Easy Mode
Normal Mode
Hard Mode (Unlocked after beating the game)
Fusion Mode (Unlocked after beating the game AND using an amiibo)

The Gallery being locked behind an amiibo pisses me off more since that was the initial point in speedrunning Zero Mission in various ways, different artwork.

That shows how the PR side that made the page can be disconnected from what details people actually care and will pick out.

So Fusion Suit is literally Samus with a Metroid skin? (double-entendre)

cyba89

So fusion mode = regular hard mode with fusion suit. Gotcha.

I don't think that's what it says. To me it reads like Fusion mode difficulty is harder than regular hard mode.

They just managed to confuse people even more with this statement.

Marcel

I mean, that doesn't really do anything to address the point that it's still game content locked behind a physical item with limited stock. If Nintendo eventually offered the option to unlock it as digital DLC later there would be no problem here.

Rncewind

you're welcome

how to not make silly post:

stop being attached to a company emotionaly.

glad to help

ironmang

Everything about this is lame. Locking difficulties behind DLC, having the way to access that DLC potentially limited and costlier than MSRP, and needing to own this plastic junk to have access. Has to be the worst DLC model by far.

Gestault

What fucking boneheaded communication. It's mostly good news though. Having a costume unlock for a hard-mode run from the matching Amiibo is totally legit, in my book. The answer (sadly enough) still leaves it up in the air whether the Amiibo mode is harder than normal or harder than hard. I swear there has to be a language barrier here, because no one is that stupid during a clarification of a clarification.

The original question is EXACTLY what Klepek was trying to address to Nintendo's own benefit, but the official PR contact told him to go back to that Facebook page for info (which had none) rather than taking ten minutes to ask internally and then get back to him. A lot of us assumed the "normal" hard mode was still present, but Nintendo's apparently too stupid to answer a simple question about their product. When others asked again during that second round of inquiries, and they specifically provided the wrong information.

Edit: Any benfit of the doubt seems to be misplaced:

Just watched the preview of the game on the gamexplain channel and they said fusion mode is an harder difficulty than hard mode. So yeah we're still getting fucked.

This company is a clown car.

Seik

Banned
I don't mind, honestly.

Hard Mode will probably be hard enough for me. Having anything over 'normal' mode locked would have been shit, though.

Feffe

So at the end everybody was jumping to conclusions and I and the other four or five people telling to calm down and waiting for more details were right.

:)

No, just after beating the game.

Yes, Fusion Mode—which will give players access to Samus' Fusion Suit as well as a more challenging difficulty in the game—is indeed locked behind the Metroid amiibo. This content will not be offered as a separate DLC in Nintendo's digital eShop. However, there will be a standard hard mode that will be unlockable once players complete the game on regular difficulty. This mode, which is confusingly separate from the Fusion Mode's own harder difficulty, won't be locked behind any amiibo.

No, you need the Amiibo.

BBboy20

Once again, something inside the game will be locked away forever unless you hack it or they actually keep producing those Metroid amiibos forever.

Somnid

Yeah I figured it was something like that. Fusion Mode is some sort of alternative mode (that also happens to be harder than the base game). Amiiboless speedrunners will still take issue.

Gestault

So at the end everybody was jumping to conclusions and I and the other four or five people telling to calm down and waiting for more details were right.

:)

It wasn't an issue of people jumping to conclusions; it was incorrect (or obtusely incomplete) information being given through official channels, repeatedly, and even at early stages effectively refusing to respond to well-meaning questions for clarification.

Top Bottom