• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aiming To Release Super Mario 3DS This Year [Updated]

BowieZ

Banned
AniHawk said:
is yoshi touch & go a mario game?

is super mario land 3: wario land a mario game?
Do either of those games star Mario throughout the game? Or even have Mario-only platforming sections?

Or are a prequel about the beginnings of the Mario brothers, and of Mario rescuing Luigi?

No.

Alrus

maeda said:
It actually does. Yoshi's island has: a completely different physics engine, a totally different level structure, a totally different power up system...

Yeah I really don't see how you could call it a Mario game in the strictest sense. While it's still a platformer, the gameplay and flow is completely different... Doesn't matter if "Mario is in it".

BowieZ

Banned
"completely different" "totally different" "totally different" lol

They're practically identical with flowers instead of dragon coins, and an admittedly unique health system.

AniHawk

BowieZ said:
Do either of those games star Mario throughout the game? Or even have Mario-only platforming sections?

yoshi touch & go has a mario-only segment. guessing from your dismissal of it, you don't consider it a mario game, and rightly so!

BowieZ

Banned
AniHawk said:
yoshi touch & go has a mario-only segment. guessing from your dismissal of it, you don't consider it a mario game, and rightly so!
Sorry, wasn't aware it was a platformer.

AniHawk said:
i think calling yoshi's island a mario game makes about as much sense as calling mario a donkey kong game. it's a fantastic platformer, no doubt, but with a full-fledge sequel of its own and several spinoffs, it's definitely its own thing, whatever the box art might say.

smb3 is still great, but it's a far cry from my favorite game of all-time like it was in the 90s. some of those levels are incredibly short. and while i think it's the best-looking and best-sounding 2d mario (smw's look and sound effects always felt off to me), nsmbw's level design trumps it easily.
Cool on YI.

Agree to disagree on SMB3.

maeda

BowieZ said:

They're practically identical with flowers instead of dragon coins, and an admittedly unique health system.
Are you serious? Identical??? What's so freaking identical about flying vs transforming into a submarine, or clearing the level before the time runs out vs exploring the level to find all the flower petals, red coins etc... I mean even jumping mechanics are as different from a Mario game as Kirby is different in that department from Mario...

Alrus

BowieZ said:

YI has no time limit, is quite more exploration based than 2D marios, different feel while jumping, no run button... I don't think the usual mario game has egg throwing either...

Edit: This is a pretty pointless discussion though :/

gogojira

Probably should have aimed for launch, what with such a crap ass launch lineup and all. Sucks, my 3DS is just kind of sitting there waiting for games to play.

Either way, day one when this does release.

maeda

BowieZ said:
Does Wario Land star Mario? Or is it a prequel about the birth of the Mario brothers? Nup.
I am puzzled... Are you really deciding which game belongs to the mainline Mario series based on the story?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Holy Order Sol said:
That's like saying Wario Land is a Mario game.

JkwoL.jpg

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

BowieZ

Banned
maeda said:
I am puzzled... Are you really deciding which game belongs to the mainline Mario series based on the story?
"star Mario" - about Mario - standard platformer design - Super Mario World 2 / Super Mario title (not subtitle) - lengthy platforming sections as just Mario - next level up from previous games where the power-up is not temporary but game-wide (i.e. Yoshi) - designed by Miyamoto - music by Kondo - clear prequel status ("Our Heroes Are Born!")

so no, not just that.

Boogiepop

BowieZ said:
Does Wario Land star Mario? Or is it a prequel about the birth of the Mario brothers? Nup.
Dude. It's a Yoshi game, starring Yoshi. Yoshi has the title, is the predominant character, and the game develops the ideas that went into his spinoff games.
Argue whatever technicalities you like, but Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game, despite it being probably my favorite game of all time.

BowieZ

Banned
Mank said:
Dude. It's a Yoshi game, starring Yoshi. Yoshi has the title, is the predominant character, and the game develops the ideas that went into his spinoff games.
Argue whatever technicalities you like, but Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game, despite it being probably my favorite game of all time.
It stars Mario. Mario is throughout the whole game. Yoshi cannot progress without him.

Also, WHICH Yoshi does the game star? The game has about 8 different colored Yoshies each of whom help Mario progress.

EDIT: It's clear that the intent of the game was to do a fully fledged sequel that is actually a prequel, and clear that the intent was to flip the formula slightly by Mario being UNDERPOWERED in the game rather than SUPER powered. It's just a creative twist because by then it was the 5th Mario platformer...

maeda

BowieZ said:
standard platformer design
That is a lie. In terms of mechanics Yoshi's Island is as far from a traditional Mario game as Kirby is. I loled at "designed by Miyamoto and music by Kondo" being tokens of Mario games. I mean you are grasping at straws.

Big One

Banned
maeda said:
Not trying to comment much on what he's saying, but iirc the only games Nintendo considers to be "mainline" are:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (JAP)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3DS

Busaiku

BowieZ said:
It stars Mario. Mario is throughout the whole game. Yoshi cannot progress without him.

Also, WHICH Yoshi does the game star? The game has about 8 different colored Yoshies each of whom help Mario progress.

EDIT: It's clear that the intent of the game was to do a fully fledged sequel that is actually a prequel, and clear that the intent was to flip the formula slightly by Mario being UNDERPOWERED in the game rather than SUPER powered. It's just a creative twist because by then it was the 5th Mario platformer...
Hey, it's not listed on the 25th Anniversary site/booklet, so Nintendo says it's not a Super Mario game.

maeda

Big One said:
Not trying to comment much on what he's saying, but iirc the only games Nintendo considers to be "mainline" are:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3DS
Thank you

AniHawk said:
and while think it's the best-looking and best-sounding 2d mario (smw's look and sound effects always felt off to me), nsmbw's level design trumps it easily.
thank you. i thought nobody agreed with me on this.

BowieZ

Banned
maeda said:
That is a lie. In terms of mechanics Yoshi's Island is as far from a traditional Mario game as Kirby is. [...] I mean you are grasping at straws.
Really?

Green pipes, piranha plants, goombas, Koopas, shells, Shy Guys, coins, red coins, [?] clouds hovering in the air instead of [?] blocks hovering in the air, keys from SMW1, ferris wheel platforms, 1up minigames, .......

Busaiku said:
Hey, it's not listed on the 25th Anniversary site/booklet, so Nintendo says it's not a Super Mario game.
was that on the Japanese version of the All-Stars site?

maeda

BowieZ said:
Really?

Green pipes, piranha plants, goombas, Koopas, shells, Shy Guys, coins, red coins, [?] clouds hovering in the air instead of [?] blocks hovering in the air, keys from SMW1, ferris wheel platforms, 1up minigames, .......
Again, Mario games are different from Yoshi's island in things that actually matter gameplay wise, you know: exploration of the levels vs fast traversal, slow and "sensitive" jumping with hover vs precise and fast jumping, collectathon vs lack of it, power ups completely changing the mechanics vs power ups that add layers to the main mechanics...

BowieZ

Banned
maeda said:
Again, Mario games are different from Yoshi's island in things that actually matter gameplay wise, you know: exploration of the levels vs fast traversal, slow and "sensitive" jumping with hover vs precise and fast jumping, collectathon vs lack of it, power ups completely changing the mechanics vs power ups that add layers to the main mechanics...
You've never speed-run a Yoshi's Island level? You've never explored in SMW1 or SM64? You've never collected coins in NSMB or dragon coins in SMW or stars in M64/SMG/SMG2 or blue coins in SMS?

Big One

Banned
BowieZ said:
I was talking gameplay.

Relive this video and tell me that's not a mainline Mario platformer.
Yoshi's Island is most definitely not a mainline Mario platformer. Just because it has similar design decisions, doesn't equate to the same experience or place. It was made to be a spin on Mario...much like the Super Mario Land games before it, only starring Yoshi in a unique style and gameplay design. Everything about Yoshi's Island is different from the basic Mario platformer to the point where Nintendo considers "Yoshi" to be part of it's own series. Everything from the actual platforming mechanics and level design is totally different in Yoshi's Island.

BowieZ

Banned
Busaiku said:
It was on neither the US or Japanese site.
Can't find the Japanese version of the timeline, which I would take to be more official.

Big One said:
Yoshi's Island is most definitely not a mainline Mario platformer. Just because it has similar design decisions, doesn't equate to the same experience or place. It was made to be a spin on Mario...much like the Super Mario Land games before it, only starring Yoshi in a unique style and gameplay design. Everything about Yoshi's Island is different from the basic Mario platformer to the point where Nintendo considers "Yoshi" to be part of it's own series. Everything from the actual platforming mechanics and level design is totally different in Yoshi's Island.
Dude you're exaggerating everything there lol, and providing no supporting information except something about Nintendo considering it separate somehow... :/ ??

maeda

BowieZ said:
You've never speed-run a Yoshi's Island level? You've never explored in SMW1 or SM64? You've never collected coins in NSMB or dragon coins in SMW or stars in M64/SMG/SMG2 or blue coins in SMS?
HMMMM... I am talking about the emphasis... Yoshi's Island emphasizes exploration. Yes, I have collected those things in SMW or NSMB, but i certainly didn't collect flower petals and 30 stars in those games. I didn't shoot eggs, I didn't swim as a submarine, or dug tunnels as a mole...

Boogiepop

BowieZ said:
Also YI2 doesn't star Mario, it stars many Mario characters, hence it's rightfully not a mainline Mario title, nor is it labeled as such on the cover.
Since this discussion is still going on... does this mean that, by your metric, Mario 64 DS and Mario 2 US are not mainline Mario games. Also, I see this logic kind of calling into question whether any game in which you can play as Luigi is a mainline Mario game, unless you have a magic number of Mario characters that can be playable in a mainline Mario.

Big One

Banned
BowieZ said:
Dude you're exaggerating everything there lol, and providing no supporting information except something about Nintendo considering it separate somehow... :/ ??
Alright I'll explain then. Like someone else said, Yoshi's Island is pretty much the first Mario game that can be considered a collectathon in any shape or fashion. While we did get Yoshi coins you couldn't exactly keep track of "complete" levels in SMW in that fashion, there wasn't really an incentive to traverse through every area of the level to get everything you can. While we got things like Stars in 3D Mario and coins in NSMB it isn't really the same type of collecting as seen in Yoshi's Island. The level design also lends itself to this considering a good portion of the levels force you to almost backtrack to areas you may've missed, almost like Metroid a bit. SMW had some levels like this but not many and all they lead to was more platforming levels. There's also the fact that Yoshi plays completely differently as a platforming star than Mario, and the whole baby Mario mechanic is constantly forcing you to take more responsibility than you would in the average Mario game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I want to buy a 3ds this year, but also, no promises

BowieZ

Banned
maeda said:
Yoshi's Island emphasizes exploration.
No it doesn't.

Mank said:
Since this discussion is still going on... does this mean that, by your metric, Mario 64 DS and Mario 2 US are not mainline Mario games. Also, I see this logic kind of calling into question whether any game in which you can play as Luigi is a mainline Mario game, unless you have a magic number of Mario characters that can be playable in a mainline Mario.
You've got this the wrong way round. It's your metric that should remove Mario 2 US from 'mainline' consideration.

Big One said:
Alright I'll explain then. Like someone else said, Yoshi's Island is pretty much the first Mario game that can be considered a collectathon in any shape or fashion. While we did get Yoshi coins you couldn't exactly keep track of "complete" levels in SMW in that fashion, there wasn't really an incentive to traverse through every area of the level to get everything you can. While we got things like Stars in 3D Mario and coins in NSMB it isn't really the same type of collecting as seen in Yoshi's Island..
Very weak point... until you just claim it "isn't really the same". How? You're not forced to collect anything, unlike SMG/SMG2, where you collect red coins, or do missions for NPCs to collect stars.

Big One said:
The level design also lends itself to this considering a good portion of the levels force you to almost backtrack to areas you may've missed, almost like Metroid a bit. SMW had some levels like this but not many and all they lead to was more platforming levels. There's also the fact that Yoshi plays completely differently as a platforming star than Mario, and the whole baby Mario mechanic is constantly forcing you to take more responsibility than you would in the average Mario game.
Very few levels force you to backtrack... in fact, maybe a couple of maze levels, like in SMW or SM64?

And once again, exaggerations. 98% of the gameplay is running and jumping and defeating enemies with some unique attacks like in SMB3/SMW (feather/cape flicks), or SMG (waggle etc etc)...

maeda

BowieZ said:
No it doesn't.
Okay... I guess you are the only person in this world who fully cleared each stage in Yoshi's island on the first go without backtracking, exploring or using a guide...

BowieZ

Banned
maeda said:
Okay... I guess you are the only person in this world who fully cleared each stage in Yoshi's island on the first go without backtracking, exploring or using a guide...
Erm, I did more exploring in SM64. The emphasis in that game is definitely to explore.

Big One said:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3DS
I think Nintendo considers YI in there.

And the 2D/3D games are split series but whatevs

Big One

Banned
BowieZ said:
Very weak point... until you just claim it "isn't really the same". How? You're not forced to collect anything, unlike SMG/SMG2, where you collect red coins, or do missions for NPCs to collect stars.
That's what makes it different. I didn't say you were forced to collect things, I just said there's an incentive to. Every level has a completion record with a "grade" and essentially fulfills the need for the average OCD. It's just, quite simply, a different type of 2D platforming game.
BowieZ said:
Very few levels force you to backtrack... in fact, maybe a couple of maze levels, like in SMW or SM64?
I don't think there are any "maze" levels in SMW
BowieZ said:
And once again, exaggerations. 98% of the gameplay is running and jumping and defeating enemies with some unique attacks like in SMB3/SMW (feather/cape flicks), or SMG (waggle etc etc)...
That's approximately what Yoshi's Island is NOT. I mean there are those linear levels (like scrolling) but there's some really open ended and heavy level design for the most part. There's also the fact that there isn't really anything to substitute for the Mushroom, Fire Flower, or Cape but instead you just get this system of shooting eggs which is also very not-Mario-like.

Nintendo: "We'll give 3rd parties a chance early in this generation to grab a hold of the market by not releasing any of our AAA franchises in the launch window."

Sales of 3DS:
|
|
|
|
v

Nintendo: "well we better crank out those AAA titles fast now"

Top Bottom