• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Aiming To Release Super Mario 3DS This Year [Updated]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In a recent interview with GameBlog.fr, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has said that they're aiming to release Super Mario 3DS this year, and when the site double checked with Nintendo Japan, they confirmed the goal, but warned there might be delays.

I'm leaving it in French since I don't feel my French abilities are good enough to provide a flawless translation in case someone else wants to.

GameBlog.fr said:
Certains le savent déjà, ce matin, nous étions avec Shigeru Miyamoto pour une interview exclusive. En attendant de vous en livrer toute la substance, à l'écrit et en vidéo, dans les jours qui viennent, sachez déjà qu'une info d'importance nous a été livrée par la figure de proue de Nintendo.

Si Satoru Iwata, le Président de Nintendo, avait dévoilé le développement d'un nouveau Super Mario pour la 3DS lors de la GDC 2011, a priori par la même équipe que celle des Super Mario Galaxy, voici ce que Miyamoto-San, nous a dit lorsque nous lui avons présenté une série d'objets, dont une figurine de Mario :

Miyamoto said:
Je vous promets de tout faire pour vous livrer le nouveau Mario cette année !
On pourra donc probablement y jouer à l'E3, en Juin prochain, pour vous donner un premier avis, mais, en tout cas, Nintendo Japon nous a confirmé qu'ils visaient une sortie cette année - sans pour autant garantir qu'elle sera réalisable. Vous n'avez plus qu'à croiser les doigts avec nous !
Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_22000_exclu-le-nouveau-mario-3ds-cette-annee

They also have a video of them actually interviewing Miyamoto here, but it's just a teaser for the full interview tomorrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klal-Vb5gtQ&feature=player_embedded

Update:

jarosh said:
this is new, yeah?

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/miyamoto-reveals-more-on-mario-3ds

Shigeru Miyamoto has described the upcoming Super Mario 3DS as a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64, and said that the eagerly anticipated title will be out this year.

Speaking in London today, Miyamoto told us: “It’s a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario on N64. It won’t convey the message if I talk to you today, but if you play it at E3 that will give you more understanding of what I’m talking about.”

Most important of all was Miyamoto’s promise that the game is “completely original, and coming this year.”

“The tail you mentioned on the logo – it’s what you think it is,” Miyamoto said. “You probably know what’s going to happen using that character.”

more at the link

JazzmanZ

Its bad enough theres already a bunch of fantastic games coming this fall, by the end of this year I'm barely going to have money to get Nintendos next console :(

Emitan

AceBandage said:
Mario Kart AND Super Mario?
Well fuck...
But no Paper Mario. The last real Paper Mario was a Gamecube game and Galaxy 2 came out last year. Get your priorities straight, Nintendo.

As I said in another thread: Miyamoto is promising to try to get it out this year. He also promised at E3 2006 to get Mario Galaxy out within six months of Wii's launch. Maybe Nintendo will come 3-6 months closer to pulling it off this time, but I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if it actually ships in 2011; I imagine that Mario Kart will be the main 3DS holiday title.

Blueblur1

Oh man, it would be beyond awesome if it came out this year. I know I should expect a delay but I'm hoping for the best.

web01

Pilotwings and Nintendogs were both obviously rushed and are severely lacking content.

I dont want to see a repeat with Super Mario 3DS.

Even New Super Mario Bros on DS had uninspired level design and that wasnt rushed. Thankfully that game was redeemed with the amazing wii version.

Regardless they should never have rushed out the 3DS with such a lack of games.

Emitan

From The Dust said:
Galaxy was a better game so...
Galaxy is a different type of game. Galaxy 2 is one of my top 3 games of this generation, but I'd prefer a new Paper Mario over it just because it's less fresh in my mind.

Mario Kart could easily be their major Fall title along with Kid Icarus. We will know at e3 whether that really leaves room for this game at holiday.

WillyFive

I would like to see how Paper Mario is going though first. Too little time has spent since the last Mario game.

For a series where we had to wait a generation between new installments, this is way too fast.

AniHawk said:
not really. i can't even remember what i'm replying to sometimes i like to go out and catch a movie with friends.

What are you sayin'

Billychu said:
Galaxy is a different type of game. Galaxy 2 is one of my top 3 games of this generation, but I'd prefer a new Paper Mario over it just because it's less fresh in my mind.

Galaxy was still more fun though :p

Interesting. I wasn't expecting them to have it ready until late next year. I guess they probably started work on it before Galaxy 2 was even out (since that was supposedly ready several months before it came out), so they could have been working on it for close to 2 years by this holiday season.

From The Dust said:
Galaxy was a better game so...

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Galaxy is the best Mario platformer, but it still can't hold a candle to The Thousand Year Door.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Freezie KO said:
Fiscal year?

Because Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Raccoon Thing all in one year makes for a very happy 3DS.
Given the context of the interview, I'm guessing calendar year.

They probably want Mario Kart as a Summer game and this has their Holiday title.

The 3DS is sputtering a bit, so this would help them a lot right now.

BowieZ

Banned
Wouldn't it be amazing if Mario Kart 3DS was a surprise post-E3 summer launch, leaving Super Mario 3DS for Holiday?

edit - beaten

Emitan

AceBandage said:
Also, for Mario Kart...
You guys realize we haven't seen a single new video since last E3?
That's just crazy.
They said it's coming this year in a press release.

AniHawk

Nirolak said:
Given the context of the interview, I'm guessing calendar year.

They probably want Mario Kart as a Summer game and this has their Holiday title.

The 3DS is sputtering a bit, so this would help them a lot right now.

oot 3d: june
sf 64 3d: july
kid icarus uprising: august
mario kart 3d: september
animal crossing 3d: october
super mario 3d: november

paper mario 3d: march 2012

AniHawk said:
oot 3d: june
sf 64 3d: july
kid icarus uprising: august
mario kart 3d: september
animal crossing 3d: october
super mario 3d: november

paper mario 3d: march 2012

As amazing as that schedule looks like for both a fan and an investor, having that many high profile games back to back doesnt leave very many opening for third parties to shine, which is something Nintendo has vowed to do.

From The Dust said:
let the Galaxy team go ape shit crazy with the game.

This is actually a good point. That team is clearly capable of pulling out some insane stuff in a game full of content. I just hope they don't rush it because of slowing 3DS sales.

Emitan

Freezie KO said:
This is actually a good point. That team is clearly capable of pulling out some insane stuff in a game full of content. I just hope they don't rush it because of slowing 3DS sales.
That would be crazy. Nintendo games sell forever (the good ones anyway). It would be stupid to rush it to fix a problem now only for it to perform worse later, which is what Nintendo relies on.

AniHawk

Gamer @ Heart said:
As amazing as that schedule looks like for both a fan and an investor, having that many high profile games back to back doesnt leave very many opening for third parties to shine, which is something Nintendo has vowed to do.
okay, so animal crossing december and resident evil revelations october. mgs3.2 in february.

AniHawk said:
okay, so animal crossing december and resident evil revelations october. mgs3.2 in february.

Revelations this year is a bit of a stretch. I think there was a interview where Capcom said not to expect it this year. will find it.

I hope they show more of Super Mario 3D. I am really interested in the unified theme of the game

BowieZ

Banned
I really, really hope it isn't floating in space AGAIN (M64/SMG/SMG2).

The one good thing about Super Mario Sunshine...

The teaser pictures don't look very promising, though.

It ain't happening. Nintendo promised that Skyward Sword would be out in Holiday 2010, and here we are likely not getting it until a year later. I wouldn't expect Mario 3DS until Holiday 2012, and that's being generous.

Top Bottom