• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Amiibo Sales Reach New Milestone - Over 2.5 Million Sold In NA

Instro

skylanders was a massive success from day 1

nintendo waited way too long to release a competitor

they had plenty of time. 3 years is way too late.

Considering they were showing of that kind of stuff when they announced NFC support for the WiiU prior to launch, they really should have had the amiibo stuff ready at launch.

Yo what on earth would be the launching pad for Amiibos 3 years ago? Nintendo land? Wii U has barely been out for 2. Let's be practical people

even disney anticipated skylanders and released disney infinity in august 2013.

nintendo had lots of resources to come up with something before november 2014.

I wonder if this will continue, the impression I get (at least from here) is that it's more of a collectors thing rather than a gaming integration thing.

Considering the extremely limited implementation of the platform thus far, and the fact it's handicapped by the Wii U install base, that's a flat-out brilliant result, with plenty of room for growth to come.

Comparing it to Skylanders and Infinity is, thus far, pointless. Without the big amiibo game, it's just not a comparable product. As a money-spinner crowbarred into existing games, though, it's had an excellent start.

J@hranimo

Banned
they could have made a ton of money if they actually primed amiibo to combat skylanders

instead we get amiibo three years after skylanders

lots of potential revenue squandered

Well honestly Nintendo wasn't thinking this intelligently 3 years ago so at least they noticed SOMETHING that's relevant in current day gaming and jumped in besides being behind in a bunch of other stuff.

I know it's all "the numbers game", but in my eyes, it's better late than never.

Good job Nintendo! My Luigi amiibo is terrifying in Smash o__o

SmithnCo

Cool, so Nintendo knows they're successful. Maybe they'll start making some of the rarer figures easier to obtain and I can finally start collecting 'em.

Yeah, no one wants to tool around a bunch of retailer websites to get a preorder in. But as long as they don't actually retire any then it will hopefully stabilize.

FyreWulff

Now the logical next step would be to make an amiibo focused game

They will not make an amiibo focused game

Why would anyone want this?

The reason Skylanders and Infinite do it is because their motif is a toybox. So you play the characters in an almost-literal sandbox.

What would you do in a Nintendo toybox game? You'd.. play Mario in Mario style games, Samus in a Metroid style minigame.. why not make those actual full games and then add toy functionality bonuses to them?

I mean, as fun as Nintendoland was, it was like "man, i'd rather just play an actual full game of this instead of a minigame version"

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Retail sales equivalent of $32.5 million

Profit margins should be between 30-40%

Nintendo must be happy.

Kathian

Banned
To be fair I don't see Skylanders and Amiibo as very similar games or products. Suspect Nintendo has been mulling over how to support these and fit it into their release schedule.

The money is coming in noe and does not look like a fad or at least there's other ways of selling these sorts of products.

Nintendo just stacked success on Smash Bros and is now selling it. They are so smart. The figurines are so cool. I want one just cuz it's a figure. Not really into it cuz of what it does in game as what I've read seems pretty lackluster. Haven't seen a Marth or Ganondorf by me ever and I work in toys r us retail.

I'm not too surprised. I have 15 and I don't even have a Wii U or 3DS yet.

Lol it's almost like you're doing it backwards.

even disney anticipated skylanders and released disney infinity in august 2013.

nintendo had lots of resources to come up with something before november 2014.

You just compared a championship Formula 1 club with pleasantly successful Cyclist team. You and me are done here

Shahed

Is that more than total US sales of Wii U so far? Either way that's crazy.

Personally I'm only interested in the Link and Zelda Amibo's Hopefully they're in stock when i get around to buying a Wii U!

Dryk

I always got the impression from threads here that people just get them because of the toy than any sort of amiibo integration in games.
I got a Captain Falcon and I bothered to train him on one occasion, he just sits on my shelf being Falcon. I have Lucina and Ness on preorder now.

You just compared a championship Formula 1 club with pleasantly successful Cyclist team. You and me are done here

what?

nintendo is a first-party console manufacturer. their entire business is creating video games and video game hardware.

disney's video game business is a very minor part of their company.

nintendo---of all people---should have reacted to the market more swiftly.

they have no good reason to release a skylanders competitor nearly a year and a half after disney.

Timeaisis

And they're only on phase two.

I have to hand it to Nintendo for digging into their base and releasing these things. They know how fanatic us fans can be.

That's insane. ..well, not too insane, i own 25 myself. Congrats, Nintendo.
I imagine we'll see a lot more amiibo support in games

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
they have no good reason to release a skylanders competitor nearly a year and a half after disney.

I think we will have an equivalent next-year: either through Animal Crossing U or game a la Nintendoland 2

Neoxon

The Amiibos are a goddamn goldmine for Nintendo. I don't even consider myself that big on figures & I already pre-ordered Sonic & Shulk and am anxiously waiting for Robin & Lucina.

ec0ec0

TSM

The plastic instrument craze burned bright and fizzled out. I wonder if the plastic DLC craze will go down in flames before too much longer.

The thing that killing the joy in Amiibo land for my kids is that Nintendo is doing such a shitty job of making these things available to anyone but die hards and scalpers.

Holy crap. I knew amiibo would be big with hardcore nintendo fans, but it seems like casuals must be buying these things up as well.

Now imagine if the next pokemon game has amiibos. Mega evolved amiibos. Shiny amiibos. Would be a huge missed opportunity if they don't do this.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Now Imagine the sales if Nintendo actually made enough to supply to meet demand.

Seriously, I've been trying to get some of my favorite characters only but I'm not paying 30-50 bucks for one figure.

what?

nintendo is a first-party console manufacturer. their entire business is creating video games and video game hardware.

disney's video game business is a very minor part of their company.

nintendo---of all people---should have reacted to the market more swiftly.

No, we are good. If you can't differentiate between a planet eater like Disney and a day player like Nintendo, explaining the concept of financial and production risks to you is a complete waste of time. Not to mention we're talking an American corporate tactics vs Japanese?

There's no fortune teller in the world like a person on Neogaf with a shit ton of a lot of hindsight

everyone knows it already... but Nintendo f*cked up "amiibo" massively:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803166&highlight=activision+skylanders+nintendo

They released it years late and on... wiu... also, it's 2015 and Nintendo still doesn't have "amiibos" on their portable console... and is still not ready for pokemon...

edit: simply embarrasing :p

Doesn't Codename STEAM have Amiibo Support? That's for Handheld. The N3DS also has the built-in NFC reader, so they're "only" missing the adaptor, right?
(Which they should be selling by now if they aren't).

But yeah, I have 2 Amiibos and no game bar MK8 that supports them, and I live in Brazil, so I can't even get them here. Hopefully their utility keeps rising.

With the low-sales of their console, though, they (and retailers, likely), vastly underestimated demand, so I hope they change that soon enough.

Jigorath

Banned
Retail sales equivalent of $32.5 million

Profit margins should be between 30-40%

Nintendo must be happy.

So possibly a profit of 13 million? Impressive but I'm not sure why people are freaking out over it. It's not exactly a success worthy of printmoney.gifs

No, we are good. If you can't differentiate between a planet eater like Disney and a day player like Nintendo, explaining the concept of financial and production risks to you is a complete waste of time. Not to mention we're talking an American corporate tactics vs Japanese?

There's no fortune teller in the world like a person on Neogaf with a shit ton of a lot of hindsight

lol ok buddy

Sandfox

Doesn't Codename STEAM have Amiibo Support? That's for Handheld. The N3DS also has the built-in NFC reader, so they're "only" missing the adaptor, right?
(Which they should be selling by now if they aren't).

But yeah, I have 2 Amiibos and no game bar MK8 that supports them, and I live in Brazil, so I can't even get them here. Hopefully their utility keeps rising.

The adapter is coming in the summer.

Top Bottom