• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Amiibo Sales Reach New Milestone - Over 2.5 Million Sold In NA

zroid

Banned
OnabQO5l.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And he was referring to sales in 2014 alone.
Disney Infinity only came out in 2013.

And he was wrong.

Also, one of the major sites put out an article recently showing at Nintendo had carved a large chunk out of this sales market when compared to Infinity/Skylanders.

Time to update the chalkboard.

I hope this encourages them to step up shipments of amiibos already out.

If nothing else, it will help them stay profitable.

But the amiibo could become a big factor for Wii U if they really start integrating it into almost every game

ugoo18

So Smash WiiU did 1.3 million in NA since launch?

Any worldwide figures and what's Smash 3DS sitting on in comparison?

So amiibo are at ~4 million world wide? That would be pretty insane. In less than a month and a half no less
(unless I misunderstood some people on twitter)

Gurrry

Wii U should have been cheaper and been designed with Amiibo in mind at launch.

well the nfc thing was built in at launch... so they obviously had it in mind

as far as being cheaper, i think it was the right price at launch

but i wish there was a price cut by now so that more people were tempted to buy into the system

I imagine pokemon will get NFC cards instead (nintendo already said they had plans on making other, cheaper amiibo alternative) if they were hoping to make 700 of them, cards is probably the only realistic way to go unless they make <$5 figures

These things are attacking my wallet like a Steam sale. I may as well just start a joint account with Nintendo of Pokémon Amiibo become a thing.

ugoo18

I imagine pokemon will get NFC cards instead (nintendo already said they had plans on making other, cheaper amiibo alternative) if they were hoping to make 700 of them, cards is probably the only realistic way to go unless they make <$5 figures

Could those be used in conjunction with the AR functionality of the 3DS?

Or is my dream of Yugioh like setups with AR going to remain a dream.

Amiibo's are bascially funding Nintendo game development. A good thing. I bet Star Fox Wii U will end up costing Nintendo about 13-15 million to make.

Could those be used in conjunction with the AR functionality of the 3DS?

Or is my dream of Yugioh like setups with AR going to remain a dream.
Yeah, they could combine both (all you need is a picture for the AR thing to work)...would be neat to combine them, I guess

Busaiku

And he was wrong.

Also, one of the major sites put out an article recently showing at Nintendo had carved a large chunk out of this sales market when compared to Infinity/Skylanders.

What is this site?
Between the launch of Disney Infinity and April 30 (8 months), they made $500 million in the US alone.
That $1 billion figure quoted by Reggie sounds very reasonable when factoring in for the entire year and Skylanders.

delta25

Banned
with the Wii U' success in December and the holidays, and the hugely successful ammibo brand, I cant help but think Nintendo is finally getting back into its grove.

Sakura

and like i said....3 years after skylanders is too late.

Too late?
Should they just pull them off the shelves now then and give up on Amiibos because they've released them 'too late'?
Hindsight is 20/20. There are lots of things Nintendo should have done differently/better up to and for the Wii U's first year.
At least they are doing it now, and all things considered, the products are doing quite well in my opinion. Get more games, and 3DS compatibility out there, and I could easily see Amiibo selling 100 million+ world wide by the end of the Wii U.

Yrael

HwAs8Yz.png

(I know the former probably didn't actually happen, but seeing the two threads sitting side-by-side was mildly amusing.)

Local TRU got a shipment of 6-8 falcon... That was it! 6 people in line at the opening of the store to grab him or pit. (Pit was a no show)

I think the drought is manufactured...

B7aZ5TyCcAAvv2D.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What is this site?
Between the launch of Disney Infinity and April 30 (8 months), they made $500 million in the US alone.
That $1 billion figure quoted by Reggie sounds very reasonable when factoring in for the entire year and Skylanders.

The link was posted on GAF numerous times. It even had its own thread. Vaguely remember it being Joystiq or Kotaku, maybe?

Kriken

Should've launched with the Wii U imo, sell a Skylanders-like game and justify the gamepad at launch with these, with the promise of future support. Would love to see the exact breakdown of each figure

Kriken

2.6 million sold in a month and a crapload of shortages says you are full of it. They are selling these things by the caseload. An interesting outcome for being "too late".

But carry on.

I think what she means is it had the potential to sell even more if released earlier. It wouldn't have had the competition of DI if it launched in 2012 or so

Top Bottom