• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Amiibo Sales Reach New Milestone - Over 2.5 Million Sold In NA

Sandfox

I think what she means is it had the potential to sell even more if released earlier. It wouldn't have had the competition of DI if it launched in 2012 or so

I'm sure it would've sold better, but I don't think it would've made a difference in the long run. Skylanders would still be Skylanders and DI would have always had a larger presence. But then you could argue that Nintendo would've been able to make adjustments by now to improve the amiibo idea I guess lol.

SalvaPot

Nintendo had a shitload of money with the Wii.

Nintendo was desperate with the Wii U.

Amiibos are a success in a market they had been strugling in. I think its a good thing the release it now, if they ride the Amiibo momentum they have a great base for the next generation and to finance games for this one.

And an Amiibo focused game is a given now for sure.

EDarkness

Good for them. I have three of them so far...including Marth. Will pick up Robin, Lucina, Ike, and a couple of the Pokemon ones for my wife. Not sure if I want to open the package, though.

Local TRU got a shipment of 6-8 falcon... That was it! 6 people in line at the opening of the store to grab him or pit. (Pit was a no show)

I think the drought is manufactured...

B7aZ5TyCcAAvv2D.jpg

Why'd you buy 5 Captain Falcon's? And I don't think the drought is manufactured if they sold 2+ million in a month and a half in the US.

Hatchtag

Banned
Nintendo had a shitload of money with the Wii.

Nintendo was desperate with the Wii U.

Amiibos are a success in a market they had been strugling in. I think its a good thing the release it now, if they ride the Amiibo momentum they have a great base for the next generation and to finance games for this one.

And an Amiibo focused game is a given now for sure.

An Amiibo focused game is a dumb idea.
Games focused on Amiibo = software devalued.
Figures do very little in one game = figures devalued.
Figures do little things across a wide variety of games = both figures and games retain value.
What they're doing right now is both smart and something only a first party publisher could do.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Even Bloomberg is speaking about Amiibo sales :p
Nintendo Co. (7974) said it sold almost 2.6 million Amiibo figurines in the U.S. since they debuted in late November, giving an early indication of whether the company’s new strategy of selling toys will be successful.

“It’s good to see Nintendo focusing on its traditional core of younger gamers, where it has the best hope as a major toymaker,” Amir Anvarzadeh, a manager of Japanese equity sales at BGC Partners Inc. in Singapore, said by e-mail.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-16/nintendo-s-amiibo-sales-near-2-6-million-units-in-u-s-last-year.html

Anth0ny

There's obviously no way to know, but I wonder if the majority of these sales are from many people just buying one amiibo, or less people buying a whole bunch of amiibo.

Given the audience that Nintendo is attracting with the Wii U (the more hardcore Nintendo fan), I get the feeling it may be more of the latter. They need to keep releasing these things steadily, and put out DLC for Smash Bros and the rest of their other big releases. While the install base isn't very large, the people who do own Wii U's clearly want to spend more money on games, or extra stuff like amiibos or DLC.

I'd be really interested to see how that first Mario Kart DLC did sales-wise.

Also, Pokemon amiibo will be insane if pulled off correctly.

Shahadan

What's so strange about saying Wii U should have launched with amiibo? (or close to it)
Toys made for a whole system rather than one game was the thing to do around that time with the skylanders craze, and Nintendo obviously thought about it since NFC was included from day one in the gamepad.
Also let's remember the very early Rayman Legends trailer showcasing figures beings used on the gamepad as a mean to unlock shit in a game.

It was obviously the idea, they probably couldn't manage to release figures at that time.
So I don't know why some people here are acting like "hindsight lolz"

Kenai

I have 6. 2 Marths, 2 WFTs Villager and Diddy.

I think I will get about 12 more 2 each of the Fire Emblemsfor whatever game interaction and another for never opening, and some oddballs like Ness, Duck Hunt and Bowser.. What a disgusting amount of money spent on figures.

And U.S. only? This really is a new prints money pic thing needed.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What's so strange about saying Wii U should have launched with amiibo? (or close to it)
Toys made for a whole system rather than one game was the thing to do around that time with the skylanders craze, and Nintendo obviously thought about it since NFC was included from day one in the gamepad.
Also let's remember the very early Rayman Legends trailer showcasing figures beings used on the gamepad as a mean to unlock shit in a game.

It was obviously the idea, they probably couldn't manage to release figures at that time.
So I don't know why some people here are acting like "hindsight lolz"
Nintendo did so many execution mistakes launching Wii U, they were late on everything. They are still suffering from the consequences of it.

But things do look better and better. They launched system sellers/evergreen titles with insane attach rates. Amiibos are off to a good start, and it's only the first wave. They have a cool lineup coming, with medias already praising the platform with its current games.

I'm sure they have a profitable business in their hands, which gives them the option to keep on developping on Wii U for a while.

Amiibos is a physical DLC, as well as a physical representation of Nintendo doing better.

boltz

Wow, good for Nintendo, never would've thought that Amiibos would be that successful.

For all the folks saying Nintendo should've released these earlier, was there ever any discussion here (GAF) about Nintendo doing something like this when Skylanders was blowing up?

JNA

Banned
Imagine how much more money they would see if they made more of them.

Make more Captain Falcon and Pit amiibos plz

Log4Girlz

hindsight is 20/20 ...blah .... blah

I know, I know. Just seems so perfect considering their history. Also, when unveiling the thing they alluded to this, why didn't they release with it, I mean, what's the point of the nfc thing if you weren't going to exploit it right away? again 20/20

I agree Wii U should have launched with amiibo but I think it wouldn't have made a difference in the longrun if they're still as idea-less as they are now.

A big reason these are selling is because of Smash craziness and it's an excuse to get, say, a Lucina figure out there when previously everyone would have been scratching their heads over why there's a Lucina figure.

At some point, probably before the end of the year, people are going to realize they don't do anything and Nintendo's going to have to start answering that question.

Me, personally, I just wanted a some Nintendo toys and I plan to do a video with the Smash functionality, so that's fine. But they need a hook eventually. Even something as simple as DI's playsets would be fine. If they're smart, they're already making software like that, because the hacked in "You can have a DeDeDe hat, I don't know" thing probably won't work forever.

I think Amiibo provide great impetus for Nintendo to create new characters. They haven't had a truly transcendent new IP in a long while but it's within their capacity to make one. They need to become a more diversified entertainment company that tries to build properties based on toys and cartoons, as well as games.

jmizzal

No excuse not to up production then? lol.

I hope this means we get a good assortment for other series, namely Animal Crossing.

They will

And for people who complaining about stock, Nintendo had to play it safe, if they flooded the market with Amiibos and they didnt sale well outside of Mario Nintendo would look like fools, and retailers would be back not giving the shelf space.

Nintendo did the same thing with Wii, coming off GC they had no idea Wii would be that successful. You have to play it safe with something new.

Nintendo releasing Amiibo alongside the Wii U at launch would have created even more confusion as to what the Wii U is. That's just a terrible idea, folks.

I agree Wii U should have launched with amiibo but I think it wouldn't have made a difference in the longrun if they're still as idea-less as they are now.

A big reason these are selling is because of Smash craziness and it's an excuse to get, say, a Lucina figure out there when previously everyone would have been scratching their heads over why there's a Lucina figure.

At some point, probably before the end of the year, people are going to realize they don't do anything and Nintendo's going to have to start answering that question.

Me, personally, I just wanted a some Nintendo toys and I plan to do a video with the Smash functionality, so that's fine. But they need a hook eventually. Even something as simple as DI's playsets would be fine. If they're smart, they're already making software like that, because the hacked in "You can have a DeDeDe hat, I don't know" thing probably won't work forever.
Lucina is probably not the best example
But yeah, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Ike, Mr. Game and Watch, etc would likely have never gotten real figures.
I imagine they are making an amiibo specific game, but I think it could continue selling if it's supported by a lot of games, especially if it's in the caliber of Code name Steam with the fire emblem guys

MK_768

Could be more if they were in stock. Hopefully they turn the factory dial up a bit.

I own 6 with another 5 preordered for wave 3. I've never seen 5 of the released line in stores ever.

could be more, but probably not. The shortage of a few amiibo made people pick up more amiibo then they planned to. I know it happened to me. People want what they can't have.

clem84

Gold Member
The Nintendo direct kinda turned me off of collecting them all to be honest. Seeing new versions of the Mario Amiibos so quickly kinda showed me that there would be no end to this. I don't know why I expected otherwise. I just cancelled my King Dedede from Amazon.ca and Lucario from Amazon.de. From now on I'm only buying the ones I really want.

The Nintendo direct kinda turned me off of collecting them all to be honest. Seeing new versions of the Mario Amiibos so quickly kinda showed me that there would be no end to this. I don't know why I expected otherwise. I just cancelled my King Dedede from Amazon.ca and Lucario from Amazon.de. From now on I'm only buying the ones I really want.
This is what you should have been doing

Mononoke

Banned

Maybe. Although I think there is a good amount of people that just want these as figurines for displaying. In the U.S. there has never really been an official Nintendo figurine line of this size.

I can't imagine the high demand of people instantly buying out even pre-orders, are casual consumers that just want them to play with. I think a lot of the insane drive is coming from collectors. I know people in this very thread are doing that. I know I am. I just love collecting and displaying them.

I do agree with what you are saying though. Unlike Skylanders or Disney Infinity, Nintendo has failed to figure out what to do with them (or at least fleshed them out in a meaningful way). I also find the short supply and them discontinuing figurines to be truly baffling. If they want to make Amiibos a platform with software, why the hell would the things you need to play them with, be rare to find or discontinued all together. As a platform they are already shooting it in the foot.

Still, I have to think apart of the insane demand is those buying for collecting and not necessarily those that want to play them using software.

Somnid

I think this has always been the major failing behind the Amiibo thinking and criticism (and honestly Skylanders/DI). It was never about the games, if you approach it from that angle you will continue to not understand, it's about the toys and having them. It's the same as Pogs, Beanie Babies, or Pop! Figures. They don't really have to do anything, that's just the marketing hook, not the driver. Amiibos are nothing new in the world of toys, but they are being marketed to a new audience who used to only care about video games. Some will buy a few for perks, others for curiosity, the barrier of entry is fairly low. But for others it will become a hobby in itself. There will likely be some initial bandwagoning and some fad culture but Nintendo is a master of brand management and if they play it well there will always be a community behind them.

Dreavus

I think they need a "platform" game before they start making them anything above some bonuses. I don't mind the implementation as it stands right now. If it was MORE meaningful I think a lot people would be overall more annoyed at the whole concept,
though it would perhaps sell even more?

Have they talked about resupply much other than the mention of Marth? Because the only way this strategy works (of releasing the smash roster wave by wave, then making them usable in other games also) is if people can get their hands on specific ones.

Altima

I want in-game bonus from Amiibo but I do not like collecting plastic figurine. I prefer something like trading card instead :/

vareon

I want in-game bonus from Amiibo but I do not like collecting plastic figurine. I prefer something like trading card instead :/

They can slap literally anything with an NFC chip, but you'll have to wait, I'm afraid. Their campaign right now is Amiibo.

Top Bottom