• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Amiibo Sales Reach New Milestone - Over 2.5 Million Sold In NA

Vitacat

I just like have good looking figures of my favorite nintendo characters for a good price. I dont even really care about in game functions.

Same here. But I'd be willing to try them in a game if an amiibo related feature seemed compelling.

Not yet sure how I feel about Codename STEAM using amiibos to unlock characters...

I bought about 2 million of those myself. Pm me for Rosalina price.
Please don't really pm me
Haha. What a hit.

I've not bought a single Amiibo yet. Thankfully I haven't felt the need to. Don't want to go into crazy collector mode. I do like the Kirby one though.

Mononoke

Banned
wow, maybe i should buy one of these Amiibos to see whats the deal with them.

I mean, they don't do jack in terms of working with software or being functional. But some of them look really really nice. Given how cheap they are, they are cool (if you are into collecting figurines). So I would only suggest collecting, if you are into them for well....just collecting. They aren't that functional as of now in terms of being useful. This is my collection:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/T1D3pDG.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0AWGGD4.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TFqWmKr.png[/IMG]

NateDrake

I mean, they don't do jack in terms of working with software or being functional. But some of them look really really nice. Given how cheap they are, they are cool (if you are into collecting figurines). So I would only suggest collecting, if you are into them for well....just collecting. They aren't that functional as of now in terms of being useful. This is my collection:

Code:

The shelving + lighting make them look amazing. I'm jealous.

DarkPhoenix

Neo Member
TFqWmKr.png
[/CODE]

Pretty dope, nice display dude

Btw, I'm happy for Nintendo, I only own 3 but only because i love the characters, I dont even have a WiiU (wish I have)

AdanVC

Congrats to Nintendo! It's so nice to see amiibo doing SO well. Hope they can considerate this in order to expand their IPs into another entertainment areas such as more toys, movies or television, but everything done or carefully supervised by Nintendo so the output can be the best quality.

illadelph

you could've added 6 more to that total if Marth, WFT, Villager, Little Mac, Pit, and Captain Falcon could be found anywhere

goddamn it

The Giant

Banned
I'm curious about the sales data here in Aus. The shelves are completely stripped clean of all of wave 1 and 2. Can't order online, can't buy them in store. Obviously, Nintendo Australia always gets small amounts of stock because our market is small, but still curious.

Everytime I went to pick up my amiibo's at ebgames. They always say that nintendo underships everything and it always annoys them.

Mononoke

Banned
This looks amazing!

Thanks a lot. Means a bunch. I actually got into collecting, because I was kind of having a tough time with my cancer remission. Was dealing with PTSD and a lot of emotional stuff. My GF actually got me into collecting them. Was having a lot of fun doing so, and then I started hanging out in AmiiboGAF and have been having a great time over there.

So collecting them has meant a lot to me and helped take my mind off things. Probably why I put so much effort into finding them and getting a display.

Rubius

Nintendo is doomed?...?
Nice one for Nintendo, hope they reprint them with some of that printed money they got.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good result, let's wait for the Nintendo fiscal report to know other regions sales (we know France forecasted 200k within the end of December, and that they sold 105k at debut in Japan)
I'm happy because I like them (I have 7 of them, and planning to buy other three of the announced ones), and because this is a stream of revenue for them that could help financially. Plus, the more they sell, the more games will be compatible, so my figures will be even more significant going ahead.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I want to buy some, but I need a game that really takes advantage of them in a bit more meaningful way. I'm sure it'll come at some point.

HowZatOZ

Banned
What Nintendo needs to do in terms of usefulness for the Amiibos is stick to their current DLC-like strategy. It is far easier to get potential customers interested in buying an Amiibo if there are plenty of games with the unique tap DLC feature then it would be for an Amiibo-based game.

I love this current style because it answers my hatred towards current DLC standards. With Amiibo I feel like when I buy my Luigi he is available in a variety of games, not just one. Works so much better.

What Nintendo needs to do in terms of usefulness for the Amiibos is stick to their current DLC-like strategy. It is far easier to get potential customers interested in buying an Amiibo if there are plenty of games with the unique tap DLC feature then it would be for an Amiibo-based game.

I love this current style because it answers my hatred towards current DLC standards. With Amiibo I feel like when I buy my Luigi he is available in a variety of games, not just one. Works so much better.

I agree with this, but I think as already mentioned by many others, that they also need a central hub game for Amiibos. Guess they think that Smash is the game serving this role...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree with this, but I think as already mentioned by many others, that they also need a central hub game for Amiibos. Guess they think that Smash is the game serving this role...

You both are right, imho.
their actual strategy is good to not piss usual fans, imho, because they are offering just additional optional contents spread among various games, while their usual offering stay "classic". Later on, on 3DS or Wii U (best thing? on both, with a multiplatform game release) they should/could offer a "Skylander-like" amiibo game.

Gambit

Good on Nintendo. Personally, I have three and not even bothered to tap Pit into Smash yet. I just love the chance of buying obscure characters that wouldn't get a figure otherwise (Shulk, Ness...)

I hope Nintendo will continue to include Amiibo in a wide variety of games, where they provide bonuses that are not essential to the game, but nice gifts for fans (costumes, weapons, etc.). The games should still be packed full of content, even without Amiibo (like Smash).
I know some people are upset about the FE integration in Codename Steam, but I think it's a very good fit. Fans of FE are most likely to buy the next Intelligent Systems strategy game and it provides good synergy.

However, I think it will be key for Nintendo to ALSO offer at least one dedicated Amiibo game. Be it like Nintendoland or a 3D platformer or, my personal favourite, a JRPG with a party of Nintendo characters.

Good on Nintendo. Personally, I have three and not even bothered to tap Pit into Smash yet. I just love the chance of buying obscure characters that wouldn't get a figure otherwise (Shulk, Ness...)

I hope Nintendo will continue to include Amiibo in a wide variety of games, where they provide bonuses that are not essential to the game, but nice gifts for fans (costumes, weapons, etc.). The games should still be packed full of content, even without Amiibo (like Smash).
I know some people are upset about the FE integration in Codename Steam, but I think it's a very good fit. Fans of FE are most likely to buy the next Intelligent Systems strategy game and it provides good synergy.

However, I think it will be key for Nintendo to ALSO offer at least one dedicated Amiibo game. Be it like Nintendoland or a 3D platformer or, my personal favourite, a JRPG with a party of Nintendo characters.

My personal dreams of a Super Amiibo Land game basically are a 3d platformer with more combat than normal. That's the one I'd pick.

I wonder if they'd ever consider doing more than one such game? like have a flagship game of one genre, but the following year, follow it up with a completely different one? They could do Super Amiibo Land one year, Mario & Luigi & Everyone Else: The REAL Superstar Saga the next year for an rpg, and then alternate expansion packs every 6 months or something....

You both are right, imho.
their actual strategy is good to not piss usual fans, imho, because they are offering just additional optional contents spread among various games, while their usual offering stay "classic". Later on, on 3DS or Wii U (best thing? on both, with a multiplatform game release) they should/could offer a "Skylander-like" amiibo game.

So a sort of Subspace Emissary in 3d?

There is both good and bad news in this, good news is that Nintendo are making money in a whole new sector, it is new money that they would not have made previously. However, it has further focussed their output on a few hardcore Nintendo fans who buy everything Nintendo release but not much else.

In the same way EA, Activision and Ubisoft are trying to better monetise hardcore PS4/XB1 gamers Nintendo are just doing the same for their own fanbase. Amiibo does not solve Nintendo's core problem, their userbase has collapsed, it is an inward looking solution and it also doesn't make a lot of money, around $15-17m gross profit is not going to change their fortunes and given that these items are not disposable they can't keep selling them to the same people, once someone has bought the set, they have bought the set.

I was just about to say, their profit from those figures won't be a lot.....how the hell does Skylanders make so much money? Are the toy sales really that much bigger and toys more expensive or is there something I'm missing?

Sandfox

There is both good and bad news in this, good news is that Nintendo are making money in a whole new sector, it is new money that they would not have made previously. However, it has further focussed their output on a few hardcore Nintendo fans who buy everything Nintendo release but not much else.

In the same way EA, Activision and Ubisoft are trying to better monetise hardcore PS4/XB1 gamers Nintendo are just doing the same for their own fanbase. Amiibo does not solve Nintendo's core problem, their userbase has collapsed, it is an inward looking solution and it also doesn't make a lot of money, around $15-17m gross profit is not going to change their fortunes and given that these items are not disposable they can't keep selling them to the same people, once someone has bought the set, they have bought the set.

I would argue that a decent move to make in response to the Wii U's failures since it will help them make money in the short time while they are working on their next platform. They'll need to put in work with their long term plans though.

I was just about to say, their profit from those figures won't be a lot.....how the hell does Skylanders make so much money? Are the toy sales really that much bigger and toys more expensive or is there something I'm missing?

Skylanders is available on more platforms, more expensive, more popular, and pushes people to buy more figures.

HowZatOZ

Banned

How are Amiibo's any different to Skylanders or Disney Infinity? All three are capitalising on a proven brand and I see no way of relating that to the Wii U issues or fan base support for said brand.

Kathian

Banned

The problem is that they are implementing inward looking solutions and more that there are not quite clear outward looking solutions they can easily move into. Nintendo is tied to adding value and creating cash from their hardware systems, this is their business model (and not one that can be changed easily).

We should also remember Amiibo is WW and these are NA sales only; not bad for two months. Fits the strategy of new products aimed at getting more value out of their brand.

When I have free time I think I might compare Nintendo sales to get an idea of how much the 3DS for example is selling to a very internal userbase, my assumption has always been that its userbase is actually quite low (hidden by high take up on the XL) compared to its overall unit sales.

Nintendo by nature is much more child and family focused so it does not have the same issues/worries of the companies over-reliant on an aging male userbase, but the younger audience is clearly in more competition from other devices this gen for Ninty.

How are Amiibo's any different to Skylanders or Disney Infinity? All three are capitalising on a proven brand and I see no way of relating that to the Wii U issues or fan base support for said brand.

Infinity yes; Skylanders I thought was its own IP?

Different to Skylanders because Skylanders makes a lot more money, it is also focussed on a proper game not some nebulous idea that people may get to use them in different games for some use and Activision can make up more figurines on the spot if sales start to slow down, plus they are more expensive. The same is true for Disney Infinity, just replace make up more figurines for release more characters.

Nintendo have an issue that they have expended the vast majority of their popular characters in round one and it probably hasn't made them a lot of money, now they have to move onto less popular characters, limited editions and different colour clothing items to sell more. With Skylanders Activision can just force parents to buy more because the new game requires a specific feature or a specific set. Nintendo won't be able to do that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Skylanders sold 175 millions figures with the first three titles. Three titles, worldwide, on all platforms.
Amiibos sold probably more than 3 millions figures at "launch" (probably neither comparable to the first Skylander, due to the fact that it was on so many platforms from the beginning).
Plus, Skylander sold many accessories from the beginning and started to sell dedicated merchandise (under license) too. Nintendo already sell its merchandise (Nintendo), so if you want to compare you should probably include also that turnover (or wait and see if N will release licensed Amiibo merchandise separately from their usual)

Atram

Different to Skylanders because Skylanders makes a lot more money, it is also focussed on a proper game not some nebulous idea that people may get to use them in different games for some use and Activision can make up more figurines on the spot if sales start to slow down, plus they are more expensive. The same is true for Disney Infinity, just replace make up more figurines for release more characters.

Nintendo have an issue that they have expended the vast majority of their popular characters in round one and it probably hasn't made them a lot of money, now they have to move onto less popular characters, limited editions and different colour clothing items to sell more. With Skylanders Activision can just force parents to buy more because the new game requires a specific feature or a specific set. Nintendo won't be able to do that.

they can do a pokemon Amiibo game

I'm pretty sure that we will see more interesting amiibo-integrations in the future and also that we will see a Skylanders-game, eventually. Perhaps there will be an amiibo-Plaza application first, where you can scan your amiibos to let them hang out in the Plaza.

I'm also very excited to get more information about integration in Mario Maker. That's a title where a very simple implementation could change everything: E.g. scan kirby to make your goombas look like waddle dees. Obviously you could upload your stages and everyone would be able to enjoy the waddle dees. It would just be an optical skin, but it would change so much (perhaps already too much?)

What I also thought about in the last few days:

I think the success of amiibos will make Nintendo support more niche franchises and new IP in the long-term. In addition I think we will also see more interesting rosters in MK and the like. Why?
Releasing Marios und TLoZ game is okay to me, I like them. But with the success of amiibos Nintendo has changed their own game-related income structure: There's now money to be made beyond game sales.
Whenever a game is being produced, Nintendo will have a look at the possible sales and revenues. Now there will be an additional position "amiibos". Clearly, when you release the fourth Mario game your expected amiibo-sales will be lower, because you can only release that many Mario-amiibos - Or they will establish new interesting characters in those games, which is also nice.

So, the decision is not "what game will sell more" anymore, but "what game will sell more and cause more amiibo sales". This mechanism should support Nintendo in making new franchises or revive old ones. Game sales will still be the #1 factor, but amiibos will help to close the gap: Releasing the third Mario game + third wave of Mario amiibo vs. a new Metroid game with Samus, a metroid, Ridley, ... etc. amiibo which were not available before. Or more extreme: New franchises like Splatoon.

TL:DR: Amiibo will make it more profitable for Nintendo to invest in new franchises, new characters and to make all characters more interesting overall (i.e. to work out their personalities, back-stories, etc. to make them more authentic).

That's just my interpretation, I think it's an interesting aspect. Most people area afraid of Nintendo locking essential content behind amiibos to sell more, but that's only one side of the medal: They have to make their characters more interesting, and the more interesting characters they have, the more they sell. That's a good thing, because the customers also want more interesting characters.

Well that is a lot of Amiibos...I hope they make more characters with them. The craze is almost amusing to watch at times though. Only bought two so far...might buy a Rosalina but that will be it.

Now they just need to do a better job at meeting the demand.

Gambit

Scan Mario amiibo to get Mario Style Pack (clothes, weapons) for your Splatoon character.

NOOOOOOOOOOO, we have to keep the cool Splatoon aesthetic intact. At least for a long time till after release. (6 months - a year)

I'd rather they patch it into Wonderful 101

redcrayon

So possibly a profit of 13 million? Impressive but I'm not sure why people are freaking out over it. It's not exactly a success worthy of printmoney.gifs
That number is for one country in five weeks. The US isn't the world, and Amiibo isn't going to suddenly stop this month.

Gambit

Wait so its 2.5 million only for US? Do we have any numbers for PAL and JP too? Really interested in how big the overall number is...

I am really curious about the European market. Especially here in Germany everything seems to be available and in my local stores they actually made the Amiibo sections smaller again. This makes the craze in NA seem very surreal to me.

I hope they are selling well in Europe, too.

I am really curious about the European market. Especially here in Germany everything seems to be available and in my local stores they actually made the Amiibo sections smaller again. This makes the craze in NA seem very surreal to me.

I hope they are selling well in Europe, too.

Well Im from germany too and i can tell you most amiibos from the first wave are still in stock, but I dont think I saw some other waves in the wild (but i actually wasnt at Gamestop or Saturn that much) On Amazon some of those are out of stock if I remember correctly

Maximo

Code:

Dam man that Case alone is making me Jealous. Never bought a Amiibo or really any Collectible but seeing that is making me tempted.

CrisKre

Code:

That is truly fantastic! Kudos! Hope you get well soon man.

where's the F2P Tomodachi Life game that uses Amiibos instead of Miis

I wanna make Shulk sing a dumb rap about helicopters with DK, Marth and the Wii Fit Trainer

Top Bottom