• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Gamespy work together again for Wii Online

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Leader in Multiplayer Technology Enables Exclusive Community Functionality for Nintendo’s Hit Console

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--GameSpy, a unit of Fox Interactive Media, announced today that it will provide multiplayer technology to game publishers developing titles for Nintendo’s Wii™ video game system. As part of an ongoing partnership with Nintendo, GameSpy has developed middleware technology to enable Wii titles to offer community features, such as friend rosters, advanced matchmaking capabilities and comprehensive rankings data.

“This partnership will expand our wireless community of players on Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “Millions of Nintendo DS users have already logged on using GameSpy’s technology, and now Wii owners will be able to do the same in a fun and easy-to-use environment.”

“Nintendo has been an invaluable partner and we look forward to expanding our relationship with them in the future,” said Jamie Berger, Senior Vice President of Consumer Products and Technology for IGN Entertainment. “Our goal is to extend our ground-breaking work on the Nintendo DS to provide Wii users with the social, community and multiplayer tools that we believe will expand the online gaming experience to the mass market.”

Pokémon® Battle Revolution, the first Wii game to utilize the technology, launches on June 25, with multiplayer features similar to those leveraging GameSpy technology in several Nintendo DS titles.

Prior to this development agreement for Wii, GameSpy and Nintendo brought gamers wireless community options for Nintendo DS™. The service provided an innovative network for portable video games, allowing people around the world to link easily and wirelessly to play games. The partnership represented GameSpy’s first foray into portable games.

edit: Bolded the interesting bits

business wire / reported here too / digg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Man...why gamespy?

Then again, apparently I was using it for the DS and never knew about it, so I guess it's not that big a deal?

I'm just glad to hear they have something in the works.

Unison

Pokémon® Battle Revolution, the first Wii game to utilize the technology, launches on June 25

There goes the rumor that Mario Party 8 was delayed so online could be added. :lol

EternalDarko said:
Wii online is gonna be bare-bones. If you want a full fledged online gaming experience, stick with the 360.

I'd rather have a free 'barebones' service that - because its free - has more people playing on it than a 'bells and whistles' (or, 'full of pointless crap' if you'd rather term it that) service that will only ever have -at best - half of its userbase available to play online.

I guess it depends on if you think the important thing in online gaming is having lots of people playing lots of different games, or matchmaking, lobbies, achievements, crossgame messaging, stat tracking etc etc etc but a smaller number of people playing a fewer number of games.

I know why I'm banking on Wii and PS3s online.

Xellotah said:
What is wrong with gamespy?

Nothing IMO, but I think that to some this looks like a cop out by Nintendo. That is, adding Gamespy this late in the game, when the assumption was that nintendo had been working on their own online system up till now.

fresquito

So does this mean that online tools hasn't been available for publishers until now? If that's the case, awesome Nintendo, awesome.

Kafel

Banned
Gamespy has a long online experience and good matchmaking skills.

Now, we still have to hope for the friend codes to disappear.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nintendo partnered with GameSpy with the DS but you never see a GameSpy logo.

Burnst

gregor7777 said:
Nothing IMO, but I think that to some this looks like a cop out by Nintendo. That is, adding Gamespy this late in the game, when the assumption was that nintendo had been working on their own online system up till now.
Announcing this now doesn't mean Gamespy wasn't working on it before..

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Draft said:
If you were looking for proof that Nintendo doesn't care about online, look no further.

Hey come on, it's not that bad, think, they could have went with Xfire, Hahah

Anyway, if the Wii gets a DS + level of online service I wont complain, a simple matchmaking system, a gamespy lite ranking/online scoring system I wont complain, as long as it's free for all games.

Burnst said:
Announcing this now doesn't mean Gamespy wasn't working on it before..

True.

IMO, I'd rather see a quality, streamlined system by Gamespy than a patchwork, first-time-round-the-block system by Nintendo.

GameSpy has developed middleware technology to enable Wii titles to offer community features, such as friend rosters, advanced matchmaking capabilities and comprehensive rankings data.
Why would Nintendo invest time developing internet enabled channels and then outsource this? I seriously doubt Gamespy can provide the same level of polish and integration that Nintendo could do in-house. Unless Gamespy simply powers the lists backend.

“Our goal is to extend our ground-breaking work on the Nintendo DS to provide Wii users with the social, community and multiplayer tools that we believe will expand the online gaming experience to the mass market."
By "extend", I assume they mean "add features to", because the DS did not have social and community features. I don't consider talking to 1-4 people on your friends list very communal.

Thomper

NintenDonut said:
Why would Nintendo invest time developing internet enabled channels and then outsource this? I seriously doubt Gamespy can provide the same level of polish and integration that Nintendo could do in-house. Unless Gamespy simply powers the lists backend.
There's a BIG difference between the channels and a full-on online-gaming service. The News and Weather channels are like fancy RSS-feeds, and Everybody Votes is an online poll. They're cool, sure, but online gaming systems are way more complicated.

GameSpy has experience in this field; they've been providing this service to dozens of publishers for nearly a decade. Nintendo? They did ehr... no online service. Ever.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I can see why this development would upset and disappoint many of the GAF audience, but for me I'll be satisified with minor online capabilities. All I want is to connect with a few friends and box/golf/fight/race/bwii against them. I don't need rankings, but it would be nice. I definitely don't need trophies, but I would like a auto-handicapping system (think Smash).

I just don't want to pay for it. I already pay for my DSL. I don't pay to play. One-time only entry fees, thank you very much.

Draft said:
If you were looking for proof that Nintendo doesn't care about online, look no further.
Because of Gamespy? I'm not a big fan of Gamespy either but apart from the hassles with the Log-In it gets the job done. A lot of PC games use Gamespy as well.

Bust Nak

Urgh, not gamespy...

Good luck to any Wii developers working on online code and all those who sail in you.

Xellotah said:

Limited functionality, buggy code, unhelpful dev support. (As of 2004 when our company stopped using them)

Grecco

Other than Friend Codes i havent had a problem with DS online. So if Nintendo eventually does away with FC Online iwll be fine on the Wii

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Cripes, whine, b*tch and moan. People clamor for Nintendo to do something or even SAY something about Wii's online gaming, and when they finally do and people whine, b*tch and moan even more. Good thing I don't care about it. I can't even use it. :-/

I don't see what the problem with GameSpy is.

Nintendo's Wi-fi connection for DS had Gamespy middleware if i'm not mistaken, and it ran without a hitch.

All that this means is that Nintendo probably doesn't have the experience in-house to do a large scale online implementation. A technology partner such as Gamespy is a good thing. Gamespy has been around a long time and their work with the DS was good. Also remember that online on the Wii is free. I think its a good added value to the system and I'm glad to see that online of any kind will be available. :)

Bust Nak said:
Limited functionality, buggy code, unhelpful dev support. (As of 2004 when our company stopped using them)

Gamespy + Wii's friend code = Dust bowl...

1935%20-%20Dust%20bowl.jpg

fanduck

If this means I can give my friend my gamespy account name rather than my wii code, or I can enter my friend's gamespy account name, and it'll automatically ask him for approval (rather than me having to call him to ask for approval...) This'll be great friggin news.

However, what I don't like is that gamespy has been used already with DS, and DS was the worst online video game system ever (friend codes for each game?), I somehow doubt this news will affect anybody! We'll see though!

BTW. The story says Pokemon will be the first game to use gamespy's service, but wasn't that game released in Japan already as an online game? If so, does this mean they used gamespy there?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
fanduck said:
BTW. The story says Pokemon will be the first game to use gamespy's service, but wasn't that game released in Japan already as an online game? If so, does this mean they used gamespy there?
Hopefully the GameSpy tech wasn't being used, because that would mean it's back to the DS ways of online for the Wii, and that would be awful for a console.

fanduck said:
If this means I can give my friend my gamespy account name rather than my wii code, or I can enter my friend's gamespy account name, and it'll automatically ask him for approval (rather than me having to call him to ask for approval...) This'll be great friggin news.

However, what I don't like is that gamespy has been used already with DS, and DS was the worst online video game system ever (friend codes for each game?), I somehow doubt this news will affect anybody! We'll see though!

no, the structure wasn't ready so they used the DS like friend code method.

fanduck said:

Friend codes were Nintendo's implementation, not Gamespy's.

fanduck said:

Pokémon gets online with friend codes, mainly because the DS games use the same system.

Gamespy is the de facto standard as middleware for online PC gaming. This is actually really good news for people who want Nintendo to take online seriously.

fanduck

DeaconKnowledge said:
Friend codes were Nintendo's implementation, not Gamespy's.

I realize that, I'm just saying that even with the Gamespy service, Nintendo still used friend codes on the DS, so they'll probably just use them on the Wii and use Gamespy solely for the network aspects.

kottila

Friend codes for adding to a friend roster used for all games. Hopefully there will be a way to add people directly from the interface or at least with only using one of the code (minimum letting you now that someone has added you)

Milpool

MutFox said:
The Black Brad Pitt said:
It seems like ive read this story now every year since the gamecube launched.
So true!

I was thinking the same thing, I remember reading the exact press release when E³ 2003 was going on. Which happened to be when Double Dash was first playable with LAN support, everyone got excited assuming the press release meant Mario Kart was online.

xTOXNx

Banned
I remember when I has ps2 I had 3 games for it...... Socom 2,THUG 1 and THUG 2 (I sold it because wasteland came with live.)

Anyways I dont know if any of you have played THUG Online and although the socom online experience was better I'd be happy with what they did in THUG as long as they dont go back to the dreaded DS Style. SOme things they had in the online were:

*Freinds List which carried over to the other tony hawk games, if you used the same account.(not sure if this is the case with the other gamespy online games)

*In each server/lobby there was a player list option were you could just highlight there name and add them.

*Multiple "servers" (ie midwest,n00bs,East,Tournaments which was locked for officail tourneaments etc) inside each server it whould have a "chat" room which whould let people type and then it had 3 lists, one showed the players in the actual chat room,the lobby list which showed the games you could join, and then the option list which was: Join game,Watch game,player list

The reason I bring this up, was because I remeber the gamespy logo was plastered all over.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
MrNyarlathotep said:
I'd rather have a free 'barebones' service that - because its free - has more people playing on it than a 'bells and whistles' (or, 'full of pointless crap' if you'd rather term it that) service that will only ever have -at best - half of its userbase available to play online.

I guess it depends on if you think the important thing in online gaming is having lots of people playing lots of different games, or matchmaking, lobbies, achievements, crossgame messaging, stat tracking etc etc etc but a smaller number of people playing a fewer number of games.

I know why I'm banking on Wii and PS3s online.

Honestly, I love the 360 and LIVE, but I really don't give a shit about achievements. I hear people saying "OH I NEED THIS ACHIEVEMENT" and it makes no sense to me at all.

basik

I love friend codes. If I had kids I wouldnt want them on the internets without friend codes. It's a minor annoyance. Just watch 'to catch a predator' if you dont believe there's a army of pedobears out there.

Neomoto

gregor7777 said:
Pokemon Battle Revolution with the online stuff came out in Japan the same month the Wii was released..

Oh, and all I want for Wii Online is the ability to see lists of servers (with how many players are playing in them), and that I can manually select one of them (instead of searching for players and randomly joining one). And that I can type in a game, and maybe a very easy to use system that I can add a "friend" while playing together or something.
I actually don't care much for online rankings (takes the fun out of the game if you arn't good enough, so a lot of people will stop playing, especially because of all the non-gamers and such), or voice chat (it seriously only works when you play in a clan or with a friend), or achievements.

But what would be nice if some things of Live were there, such as seeing friendlists and if they are playing or not (and which game), and sending messages or invatations to eachother combined with the Mii characters. But it isn't necessary (or they could always incorporate it later though an Wii update)

Friend Codes are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.

That said, I would love for the Wii to have one unified system code. I know Pokémon BR won't do this, but that's because it's tied to the DS game.

Even if we are in 2007, I really find OnLine play boring. Yeah, I know, it's me, but I prefer to play with friends in the same room or to play alone.
Outside features like the Virtual Console, OnLine is for me only an add-on.
Of course I'm a minority and I know it.

fartblast

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Friend Codes are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be.

That said, I would love for the Wii to have one unified system code. I know Pokémon BR won't do this, but that's because it's tied to the DS game.

no they really are, if anything they just show nintendo dont care about you your just a number to them

even sony`s online lets you use a real name

Top Bottom