• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Back-To-School Deals, Offers Some of the Biggest Hits for sub-$20

Vitacat

So it doesn't have any play at all when locked into position? I thought they were supposed to have some "give" by design?

Almost none at all. Very stable, and very quiet locking sound compared to my other one.

Nintendo clearly sources parts from multiple places and of varying quality and construction. Also, that idea of give by design is just a rumor AFAIK. What we do know for sure is that there is a lot of variation in build and parts quality. Heck, some units don't even have IPS top screens, which IMO would suck because IPS has better viewing angles and deeper blacks.

It can be pretty frustrating. I just wish I could combine the screen of my launch black unit with everything else on my more recent red unit. But honestly at the end of the day they both play games just fine so I try not to think about the little flaws.

Seems like a good time to pick up a new 3DS, which I really need to do.But I'd like to see a Sun & Moon bundle..

Honestly I really want a WiiU but I'm not budging until they do on that price.

sfried

Been waiting for the opportunity to land a new 3DS (since built-in C-Stick and better 3D/battery life). Just need to get Splatoon faceplates and I'm golden!

Jimrpg

For anyone on the fence the New 3DS is a really nice machine. Went from a regular 3DS XL to the smaller "New" model when the Pokemon bundle release and have been more than happy with it; finally a system that feels just about as good as the DS Lite did in my hands.

The regular 3DS XL is too big for my daughter. She is 3 at the moment, but even in a couple of years time, it'll still be too big.

So I'm still holding out for a discount in Australia on the reg new 3DS. It's been AU$149 once at Target, but I'll bite at AU$129.

Same thing with the Wii U controller. Its a monster and not great for kids.

DangerMan

Banned
Anyone know if the Super Mario 3D Land non-xl NA New 3DS has IPS displays or the TN ones?

EDIT: I'll go pre-order one tomorrow, Nintendo if you are watching please make sure my pre-order has an IPS display like you did with my Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate New 3DS XL. Also make it a cooler toned screen rather than a warmer one. Or do it like you did with my New 3DS XL and make it have an IPS display and make it so it has cooler tones with power-saving on and warmer tones with power-saving off. Works out quite nice for my taste in screen tones.

EDIT2: Nice, EBGames allows online pre-orders and in-store pickups. I previously owned Super Mario 3D Land on cartridge and do not have the cartridge anymore or it digitally. If I don't do a system transfer from my new 3DS XL to the non-XL and just link my Nintendo Network ID instead (does it allow the same NNID on both or would I have to unlink it from the XL first?) would the pre-installed Super Mario 3D Land get overwritten or merged into my NNID?? I remember horror stories from people about losing the pre-installed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when the New 3DS XL first came out in NA but had no issues, I did a system transfer of an old 3DS at the time and my NNID transferred with it I think.

ROFISH

Neo Member
OG 3DS and n3DS owners: I hated the OG 3DS because it basically cramped my hands after 15 minutes of playing, likely because the whole thing just felt small. Oddly it was just the 3DS; the XL is fine and the DS Lite is fine too. I don't even have particularly large hands either.

Does the regular n3DS still have the cramps? Looking to upgrade.

DangerMan

Banned
OG 3DS and n3DS owners: I hated the OG 3DS because it basically cramped my hands after 15 minutes of playing, likely because the whole thing just felt small. Oddly it was just the 3DS; the XL is fine and the DS Lite is fine too. I don't even have particularly large hands either.

Does the regular n3DS still have the cramps? Looking to upgrade.

Can't answer but it is bigger than a non-XL old 3DS and also has larger screens than a non-XL old 3DS. Should be a really nice middle ground between old 3DS and new 3DS-XL since it has a higher pixel density than the XLs and better specs and bigger screen than the old 3DS.

DangerMan

Banned
$20 is a good deal??
C'mon Nintendo this aint the 90's anymore.
Fuck me they are so stingy with savings.

Just pay $150 and get a non-XL new 3DS, new 3DS' are sick and that's a pretty darn good price when you consider it has the best auto-multiscopic technology in consumer electronics, a quad-core 804mhz cpu + an extra weaker core, expandable storage, and no monthly fees for online (or anything except external services like Netflix). Nintendo isn't exactly ripping people off even if they don't put an IPS display in it.

EDIT: Or maybe they are if it is only $150AUD/USD and it's $200CAD... AUD has the best prices on these things I guess $150AUD is only $150CAD

EDIT2: More importantly is Nintendo ditching glasses-free auto-multiscopic technology on the NX. Don't take advantage of your fans Nintendo, be honest about what the NX is now.

EDIT3: What is most important is actually for people to stop using Foxconn as a manufacturer but I can't boycott Nintendo for using them because all consumer electronics seem to be manufactured by Foxconn... Is Foxconn still horribly mistreating employees???

ramparter

Banned
Rösti;212970840 said:
Accompanying artwork, from NoA's press site:

0809_announcement_gramiku2.png

Looks like someone at NoA could do with some Adobe ImageReady training.

I wonder how much will these cost in the eshop since no amiibo...

Anyone know if the Super Mario 3D Land non-xl NA New 3DS has IPS displays or the TN ones?

EDIT: I'll go pre-order one tomorrow, Nintendo if you are watching please make sure my pre-order has an IPS display like you did with my Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate New 3DS XL. Also make it a cooler toned screen rather than a warmer one. Or do it like you did with my New 3DS XL and make it have an IPS display and make it so it has cooler tones with power-saving on and warmer tones with power-saving off. Works out quite nice for my taste in screen tones.

EDIT2: Nice, EBGames allows online pre-orders and in-store pickups. I previously owned Super Mario 3D Land on cartridge and do not have the cartridge anymore or it digitally. If I don't do a system transfer from my new 3DS XL to the non-XL and just link my Nintendo Network ID instead (does it allow the same NNID on both or would I have to unlink it from the XL first?) would the pre-installed Super Mario 3D Land get overwritten or merged into my NNID?? I remember horror stories from people about losing the pre-installed Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate when the New 3DS XL first came out in NA but had no issues, I did a system transfer of an old 3DS at the time and my NNID transferred with it I think.
You preordered this at EB? Isn't it a Target/Walmart exclusive?

DangerMan

Banned
You preordered this at EB? Isn't it a Target/Walmart exclusive?

https://www.ebgames.ca/3DS/Games/725151/new-nintendo-3ds-with-super-mario-3d-land

EDIT: Also glad to hear Foxconn has replaced 60,000 workers with machines, hopefully they find work at a place that properly pays employees. Or maybe Foxconn horror stories aren't even all that true. Also anyone know if despite it not being listed on WIkipedia Apple and Samsung use Foxconn, some articles seem to suggest they do as well as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, RIM, and more

EDIT2: Actually Apple is listed on Wiki under foxconn major customers but not samsung but some articles suggest samsung does use foxconn

I'm planning on getting the new 3ds, but I'm worried about the transfer. I remember seeing a lot of people having problems with it. What's the best way to do the transfer?

DangerMan

Banned
I'm planning on getting the new 3ds, but I'm worried about the transfer. I remember seeing a lot of people having problems with it. What's the best way to do the transfer?

Same here, my big concern is will unlinking my NNID from my modded NN3DSXL un-mod my NN3DSXL and will linking it to the NN3DS merge Super Mario 3D Land into my NNID or will it be lost... I'm not really down to system transfer my modded NN3DSXL to the NN3DS as my NNID already has a ridiculous library and I'd rather NTRCFW on the XL than the non-XL.

zewone

Amazon has the games up for preorder. $16 if you're a Prime member.

Animal Crossing - 3DS - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z74G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Tomodachi Life - 3DS - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z7H8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nintendogs + Cats - 3DS - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z6EM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 3DS - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z67E/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nintendoland - Wii U - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z746/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Lego City: Undercover - Wii U - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IW7Z6J2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Wind Waker HD - Wii U - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ0HTH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ridley327

Huh, when did that happen? Was there a wave of Selects in between the first batch and this one?

Not that I was aware of, and I work retail in the US. Funny enough, we sent back all our copies of the game not that long ago.

That looks like pretty official artwork, but I don't think NoA has done anything third party for a greatest hits line since the Gamecube.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a New 3DS for a while now, and pass along my old 3DS with Animal Crossing to someone, but I don't want one if the NX will somehow be backwards compatible in less than a year. We think it won't be, but the only people who really know for sure can't legally say. As a consumer, it's kind of annoying waiting on Nintendo to announce what their next platform will and won't be, just so I can maybe buy an existing product without fear of immediate obsolescence.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a New 3DS for a while now, and pass along my old 3DS with Animal Crossing to someone, but I don't want one if the NX will somehow be backwards compatible in less than a year. We think it won't be, but the only people who really know for sure can't legally say. As a consumer, it's kind of annoying waiting on Nintendo to announce what their next platform will and won't be, just so I can maybe buy an existing product without fear of immediate obsolescence.

Chances are the games wouldn't display well on the NX screen anyway, due to the differing resolutions. I bought a DSi XL after the 3DS came out and didn't regret it one bit. I say go for it.

Chances are the games wouldn't display well on the NX screen anyway, due to the differing resolutions. I bought a DSi XL after the 3DS came out and didn't regret it one bit. I say go for it.

This isn't a "I say go for it" situation. Having been through the GBC->GBA period, I'm not going to bite until we know exactly what the NX can and can't do when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Anyone with a N3DS XL getting this?

I want to get this bundle, but I don't want to have buyer's remorse upon realizing the screen size is too small.

This isn't a "I say go for it" situation. Having been through the GBC->GBA period, I'm not going to bite until we know exactly what the NX can and can't do when it comes to backwards compatibility.

Hey, it's your money. I just wanted to point out that NX would probably end up being an inferior experience for 3DS BC vs. a new 3DS. You are free to exercise your rights as a consumer and tell Nintendo that you want NX info now.

Hey, it's your money. I just wanted to point out that NX would probably end up being an inferior experience for 3DS BC vs. a new 3DS.

You don't know that for certain. You're using a DSi -> 3DS comparison. The GBC -> GBA transition was much smoother, with the only downside being compatibility with less than a dozen games total, and slightly sticking out of the cartridge port.

And to be honest, even if it's not better, it could be good enough, in which case dropping money on a New 3DS now is kind of dumb. And I would've done it sooner, but I kept expected Nintendo to say something about their next platform at any minute.

You don't know that for certain. You're using a DSi -> 3DS comparison. The GBC -> GBA transition was much smoother, with the only downside being compatibility with less than a dozen games total, and slightly sticking out of the cartridge port.

And to be honest, even if it's not better, it could be good enough, in which case dropping money on a New 3DS now is kind of dumb. And I would've done it sooner, but I kept expected Nintendo to say something about their next platform at any minute.

There's also the issue of Nintendo almost certainly going w/ a capacitive touch screen this time vs. the 3DS resistive tech. I completely understand wanting to make an educated purchase, but there's something to be said for playing the games on the hardware they were designed to be played on.

Hopefully, we get the date of the NX reveal by the end of this week. That's the current speculation going around at least.

In order for the NX to offer a full 3ds experience, it would have to employ the glass-free 3d tech( which I'm sure it won't) as well as the dual screen setup( which from what we know right now isnt the case). Maybe it does offer 3ds BC( in 2d mode, basically the 2ds) and maybe the NX screen is big enough to support the top-bottom interface. We'll have to see what Nintendo has in store, but I have a hunch its going to be a clean break in terms of compatibility for native 3ds games. At this stage, what's another months wait?

Crap. They must have ran through their preorder allotment because you can't order them now. :(
Yeah, found out about this the other day. I hope there's a good allocation in store and that Nintendo carries on supplying through to Xmas. Don't want another limited release like the AC and Pokemon bundles.

Went to the Nintendo Store in NYC yesterday and fell in love with the black n3DS. Have they ever made that available in the US? Is there any way to mod an import version to play US games?

I love the form factor but really dislike white handhelds.

M-PG71C

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, Tomodachi Life, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (I have a digital copy, wouldn't mind a physical one), and LEGO® City Undercover are all mine.

Went to the Nintendo Store in NYC yesterday and fell in love with the black n3DS. Have they ever made that available in the US? Is there any way to mod an import version to play US games?

I love the form factor but really dislike white handhelds.

Yep - I've got one myself and modded it to be region free. Still only accesses the Japanese eShop though and I've got no idea if it's possible to change that. If it's sub-11.0 firmware it's very easy to do. Check out the 3DS homebrew thread.

ch4fx_

Any word on the availability of this 3ds bundle? I want to bite because of the 8bit faceplate, but I'm afraid I may have missed it because sometimes Nintendo stuff does end up "preorder only"-ish.

I also noticed the Nintendo website only lists Target as a retailer for this bundle, anyone confirmed Walmart has/will be getting these?

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buynow/#/3ds-sm3dl

Vitacat

Any word on the availability of this 3ds bundle? I want to bite because of the 8bit faceplate, but I'm afraid I may have missed it because sometimes Nintendo stuff does end up "preorder only"-ish.

I also noticed the Nintendo website only lists Target as a retailer for this bundle, anyone confirmed Walmart has/will be getting these?

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buynow/#/3ds-sm3dl

Target has had preorders open up a couple of times in the past week or two. I managed to get mine in 2 days ago. The windows of opportunity don't last long though, and no doubt eBay scalpers are probably ordering a lot of them. I've not seen Walmart offer preorders yet.

Only Target and Walmart will carry these in NA according to NOA. If you don't manage a preorder then try showing up early the 26th or even the night before and see if they've put them out.

At this price and considering the decent set of face plates these will probably sell out quick.

Top Bottom