• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Back-To-School Deals, Offers Some of the Biggest Hits for sub-$20

maxcriden

Other Deals Include Mario-Themed New Nintendo 3DS and New amiibo Bundles

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 9, 2016 – Everyone deserves to have a little fun before back-to-school season begins – and this applies to both kids and their parents. Starting on Aug. 26, Nintendo rolls out a stellar set of offers for both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, including some of Nintendo’s biggest hits dropping to a suggested retail price of $19.99 each, like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, as well as the debut of a new Mario-themed New Nintendo 3DS system that comes with the Super Mario 3D Land game pre-installed at the low suggested retail price of only $149.99. And starting on Sept. 9, five convenient bundles each packed with a select Wii U game and an amiibo figure will be available. All of these great deals make getting ready for school a much more entertaining (and affordable) process.

“These back-to-school deals are some of the best and most varied we have ever offered,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Now is clearly the best time to get started on your essential Nintendo game collection.”

Great Games for Under $20: On Aug. 26, some of Nintendo’s most popular and premium Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games are joining the Nintendo Selects honor roll of games sold at a suggested retail price of only $19.99. The list of games being added to the Nintendo Selects collection is as follows:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon

Tomodachi Life

nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends

LEGO® City Undercover: The Chase Begins

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Nintendo Land

LEGO® City Undercover

This is in addition to the dozens of Nintendo Selects games already available, from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for Nintendo 3DS to Super Mario 3D World for Wii U. Check out the other Nintendo Selects games at http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects.

Super Mario 3D Land Edition New Nintendo 3DS: Also on Aug. 26, a New Nintendo 3DS bundle that includes the system, the wildly fun Super Mario 3D Land game pre-installed and two extra interchangeable Mario-themed cover plates (one inspired by Mario and one featuring 8-bit renditions of classic Nintendo characters) will go on sale exclusively at Walmart and Target stores at a low suggested retail price of $149.99. New Nintendo 3DS is more compact than New Nintendo 3DS XL and also sports removable cover plates that let you customize the system’s look. New Nintendo 3DS is one of the most versatile video game systems out there, and this price (with an included game!) really can’t be beat. The suggested retail price is $50 less than the suggested retail price of any New Nintendo 3DS bundle previously offered. For more information about New Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/.

Wii U Games + amiibo Bundles: Starting on Sept. 9, select Wii U games will be packaged with specific amiibo at a suggested retail price of only $39.99 each. These bundles are a great way for players to be introduced to the world of Nintendo’s amiibo figures (and to have something to talk about with friends on the school bus). When tapped to the Wii U GamePad controller, each of the amiibo figures included in the bundles will unlock something special in its respective game. The bundles include:

Yoshi’s Woolly World/Pink Yarn Yoshi

Activates “Double Yoshi” in single-player mode, allows players to save favorite collected patterns to the amiibo figure

Yoshi’s Woolly World/Light Blue Yarn Yoshi

Activates “Double Yoshi” in single-player mode, allows players to save favorite collected patterns to the amiibo figure

Mario Party 10/Peach

Play with and customize the amiibo in Party Mode

Mario Party 10/Bowser

Play with and customize the amiibo in Party Mode

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker/Toad

Unlocks a hide-and-seek challenge

For more information about amiibo, visit http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo.

Nintendo 2DS + Mario Kart 7 for a Suggested Retail Price of Only $79.99: Available now, the affordable and kid-friendly portable Nintendo 2DS system is ideal for parents looking to purchase a Nintendo system for their youngest gamers (and star students!) The system can play nearly every Nintendo 3DS game in 2D, is available at a suggested retail price of only $79.99 and specifically marked packages of the system include the hit Mario Kart 7 racing game, pre-installed. Combining this great package with one of the newly available Nintendo Selects games for Nintendo 3DS gives you a new Nintendo system and two awesome games – all for the great value of less than $100. For more information about Nintendo 2DS, visit http://www.nintendo.com/2ds.

For more information about all of Nintendo’s products, visit http://www.nintendo.com/. Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.4 billion video games and more than 693 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.

Via GoNintendo.com

Rösti;212970840 said:
Accompanying artwork, from NoA's press site:

0809_announcement_grai5jlc.png

0809_announcement_grae7jn6.png

0809_announcement_gramiku2.png

I really really hope this means Nintendo Land on the eShop....!

And, LCU for $20!!!! Time to sell my OG copy.

#Trevleak confirmed again!

"Get ready to learn things at school, by avoiding schoolwork and playing games."

I support their sale, I also enjoy their cynical capitalism.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Accompanying artwork, from NoA's press site:

0809_announcement_grai5jlc.png

0809_announcement_grae7jn6.png

0809_announcement_gramiku2.png

Looks like someone at NoA could do with some Adobe ImageReady training.

neoemonk

I'd like to see the Mario-themed New 3DS. If it's not another white one I might consider picking it up.

Edit: and right above me - it's a white one :p

maxcriden

Saying $19.99 is sub-$20 is somewhat misleading. I was expecting $14.99 or something.

Sorry, wasn't meant to mislead. The PR said "under $20" so I was just trying to fit the title in as is. :(

FWIW, I don't think Nintendo has ever offered a retail game at less than $19.99.

This probably isn't the rumored 3DS " fall price drop" from that leak ages ago, right?

I think we might see one more price drop, but...this is the cheapest N3DS bundle we've seen. So, it could be it. The leak also mentioned additional Selects and they're listed here, so, I think this is further confirmation of the leak.

Madao

half of that looks like unsold stock repackaged.

at least some rare games like Tomodachi and TWW HD are getting a reprint.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This probably isn't the rumored 3DS " fall price drop" from that leak ages ago, right?

I wonder myself as well, since this is a retailer exclusive New 3DS bundle, even if the price is pretty low indeed (New 3DS + game + plates at 149.99) compared to the current models.

Synless

Fucking damnit! I just two weeks ago bought a used N3DS regular for $190. I knew this would happen, I just knew it.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder myself as well, since this is a retailer exclusive New 3DS bundle, even if the price is pretty low indeed (New 3DS + game + plates at 149.99) compared to the current models.

I've been thinking the New 3DS XL would officially drop to $174.99 because they have had constant almost monthly sales at that price over the past year.

phanphare

Banned
oh wow, the regular New 3DS makes another appearance

that's good stuff. wish the plain white face plates were available in North America though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Since my girlfriend (now fiancee) kidnapped my copy of ACNL years back I'll go ahead and pick a new one up--I guess digitally this time.

Might pick up Nintendogs for shits & giggles as well.

oh wow, the regular New 3DS makes another appearance

that's good stuff. wish the plain white face plates were available in North America though.

I thought for sure we'd never see it again. I want a spare as a backup in case my current system ever takes a dive, so I'll definitely be stashing one away.

Getting the two cover plates is a plus.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is not the press release I hoped Nintendo would be sending today. :mad:

I suppose if (IF) the NX event is in September, we'll get a date announcement not so far off the event itself, like second half of August if it's at the beginning of September.

dgco86

Does this mean they're finally going to put Nintendoland back on the North American eShop?

Nope.

kaydigi

The long wait for Star Fox 3D continues....

Though on Aug 26 I will pick up

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Nintendo Land

I never played any of them.

jjasper

I will probably get that new 3ds.

Anyway how in the world is New Super Mario Bros U still not on the select list yet?

TheJoRu

Oh man, please give me Nintendo Selects Luigi's Mansion, NoE. It's a game I've been looking at for quite some time, but it's still very expensive here.

Aiustis

I'll be getting:

Luigi's Mansion,
Tomodachi Life,
Lego City Undercover (3DS)
Wind Waker
I would get Nintendogs but I don't think golden retrievers are cute.

Top Bottom