• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Breath of the Wild sequel is in development

Fbh

The "now in development" announcements from Nintendo usually mean "several years away", but it's nice to have a confirmation.

It's cool that it's a direct sequel to BotW and from that trailer it seems like they are going for a darker tone which could be cool. I'm fine with them reusing assets if it allows them to focus on making legit dungeons.

Also PLEASE take out or massively increase weapon durability

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
They cut Zelda's hair so it might be possible you can choose either or. We'll see.

-----------------

I'm really interested on what's going on with Ganondorf's corpse.

I'm interested in the logic behind your first statement lol.

Was that supposed to be Ganondorf's corpse? I thought it was just one of those mummified monks...

The "now in development" announcements from Nintendo usually mean "several years away", but it's nice to have a confirmation.

It's cool that it's a direct sequel to BotW and from that trailer it seems like they are going for a darker tone which could be cool. I'm fine with them reusing assets if it allows them to focus on making legit dungeons.

Also PLEASE take out or massively increase weapon durability

I mean, they showed actual footage (I think?), might be closer than we think. BOTW released in 2017...end of 2020 might be nice.

Include co-op, Nintendo.

Include co-op.

Include.

Co.

Op.

Leave (Get Out)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm interested in the logic behind your first statement lol.

Was that supposed to be Ganondorf's corpse? I thought it was just one of those mummified monks...

Cutting the hair would help with any clipping issues but I dunno. Wishful thinking. Again we shall see. For all we know Ghost hand thing could just snatch her up.

Secondly you got the whole gemstone and crown Ganon always has on him plus the long flowing red hair.

Seems rather plausible.

SALMORE

i don't mind if it takes a long time , i finished BOTW early this year & there's a shitload of stuff that i haven't done / experienced yet

giphy.gif

Codes 208

It'll get announced for Switch then be a launch title on their next system. Seems like a common trend for their Zelda games.
Technically this has only happened twice. And after the first time this happened (twilight princess) we got skyward sword just a few years later on wii.

BOTW was just too ambitious to fit on a dying console i guess.

GAMETA

Banned
Am I the only person, that while LOVED BotW, would have preferred a new game? This looks like a prequel and might use the exact same map and assets. :(

Nah, I'm cool as long as they make it a more traditional Zelda.

BotW needed dungeons and real bosses, good and hand-crafted ones. Items as well, and hopefully non-breakable weapons.

At the end of the trailer we see Hyrule Castle sort of levitating... maybe the game will take place somewhere else, or maybe they'll be visiting Skyloft.

Last edited:
Please get rid of weapons breaking pleaseeeeeeeeeeee. You get an awesome sword and too scared to actually use it. Combat needs work too.
Nothing like getting a legendary weapon made out of paper mache lol.

Those black weapons in the castle are just the biggest tease ever...

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Speculating a bit, what if this time we have Hyrule and another world/kingdom?

Some places in BotW seemed like the perfect spot for dungeons: The Goddess Statue in the Mountain, the Snake River place, the Akkala Citadel...

Maybe we go after the usual medallions/pendants only to then, accidentally, revive Ganondorf as we see in the trailer. Then the Castle levitates and we go somewhere else.

That would be fucking awesome! :D

Javthusiast

Banned
I don't need co op. I need either the option to choose between Zelda and Link or the full game only as Zelda. It is time.

Last edited:

Dazrael

My balls were well and truly tickled when I saw the art style, I thought it was going to be more DLC. Then I saw the potential release date for the sequel in the far away distance...*sigh*

It’ll be the Switch’s swansong, just like BOTW was it’s launch title. However it looks like it’s going to reuse BOTW’s assets so the turnaround might not take so long after all.

cr0w

Old Member
That whole, "When you nutted but she keep on suckin" meme? It's never been more applicable in my life than it is right now.

I NEED THIS. I NEED IT.

Apparently it's slated for a 2020 release, but I expect at least one typical Zelda delay.

Dumbest milking Nintendo ever made. Also I understand that they're going full feminist with this one: this time Link is capture, and Zelda with short hair (aka Linkle which should have just been a choice in the first one) is going to be the main protagonist.

Unless there's a significantly more powerful Super Switch coming and radically different world, this is going to be a milking to much for this franchise.

ExpandKong

Banned
Dumbest milking Nintendo ever made. Also I understand that they're going full feminist with this one: this time Link is capture, and Zelda with short hair (aka Linkle which should have just been a choice in the first one) is going to be the main protagonist.

Unless there's a significantly more powerful Super Switch coming and radically different world, this is going to be a milking to much for this franchise.

Eww Linkle.

She's fine as a one-off character in a spinoff game like Hyrule Warriors but in a series full of great female characters that already exist - not the least of which being the titular princess herself - "Link but a girl" would be the laziest fucking thing they could do.

Eww Linkle.

She's fine as a one-off character in a spinoff game like Hyrule Warriors but in a series full of great female characters that already exist - not the least of which being the titular princess herself - "Link but a girl" would be the laziest fucking thing they could do.

Well since there's not the actual "one and only" Link, but rather than "Link" is the reincarnation of a titular hero under the form of a sword yielding hooded elf, I have no problem with one choosing either Link or Linkle in 2019 as long as they have the same central charisma and not some bland "customisation" bullshit.

ExpandKong

Banned
Well since there's not the actual "one and only" Link, but rather than "Link" is the reincarnation of a titular hero under the form of a sword yielding hooded elf, I have no problem with one choosing either Link or Linkle in 2019 as long as they have the same central charisma and not some bland "customisation" bullshit.

Went around and around in this same circle after BotW was revealed, not doing it again. Link's a dude. Whomp whomp.

thequestion

Awesome news! Can't wait.

From the trailer it looks to me, like they will have 1 massive dungeon underneath Hyrule Castle. Throughout the game you will be descending deeper and deeper, but you will need to warp back to the overworld often. (kind of like steamworld dig, in a way...)

In BOTW, you went to these shrines, and after completing those mummies gave you a reward. In the sequel, their will be evil versions of these guys, and it will be revealed that they power Ganon, or are attempting to bring him back... so these mummies will be bosses in the sequel.

Link and Zelda will use teamwork to accomplish goals. 'Switch' on the fly between the two, perhaps? (pun intended)

As you plump the depths of this massive dungeon, you will be awarded with items, (after defeating a boss), that will allow you to alter a section of the over-world map (one of the four quadrants), which, in turn, allows the player to traverse these new, altered lands, to gain an item that allows them to make further progress in the main dungeon.

This my best guess.

blackjon24

I like breath of the wild while I had some problems with it its one of the best games I've ever played. I hope we can get a real zelda game again.

Its been 13 years since the last no bs ocarina of time style game.

Last edited:
Nintendo, take as long as you need. I'm not an overly patient person, but I'll happily wait for this.

But I'm guessing this is a "now in FULL production" sort of trailer. Didn't they mention a year or so back that the next Zelda game was being worked on?

My Prediction: Hyrule Castle rises next the Gerudo zombie awakening and the red obscure mass will contaminate the entire realm, so we have the same map but twisted.

Outrunner

When they finished BoTW they said that they had created tools that would help them create future games much faster than what happened with BoTW. So I'm guessing this game releases next year. Also remember that MM came out only about a year after OoT

+ Better dungeons
- Weapon durability

I'm fine with durability, but they ought to have "legendary" versions of weapons like the Master Sword which dont break. Hero's Bow, Hero's Boomerang, etc. You could even make them weak initially and have to be repaired or improved as the game goes, maybe with Korok Seeds.

More item diversity all around would be great. And bring back the Hookshot.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
So drip feed announcements and broken promises until the game launches for switch and switch 2 simultaneously with thebswitch version neutered to ensure "parity"?

Can you tell im still salty about botw and the wii u?

Anyways when this does come out i may buy a switch!

RPGCrazied

So many questions. Same engine? Same assets? Please have a better story structure this time. Wasn't that into the memories of the first game. And the weapon breaking system sucked.

Top Bottom