• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Breath of the Wild sequel is in development

Codes 208

So many questions. Same engine? Same assets? Please have a better story structure this time. Wasn't that into the memories of the first game. And the weapon breaking system sucked.
*reads bolded*
*looks at avatar*

The memories may have been a bandaid solution over a gameplay-comes-first story, but ill gladly take that over making a story that involves a bunch of spinoffs that become almost neccessary to play just to understand whats going on in the actual sequel.

Moses85

Guess Hyrule Castle will get teleported to a other dimension/world.

Doesn’t make sense to play in the same world. We already explored this Hyrule.

brap

Banned
Oh boy another third person survival crafting game that's basically a reskin of a ubisoft game. Yipee! Wake me up when nintendo actually makes another zelda game.

V4skunk

Banned
+ Better dungeons
- Weapon durability
I don't understand the complaints about weapon durability when the enemy always have equal weapons or better. The only time I found it a bit meh was farming for black Lionel weapons.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Day one!!!

- Better Dungeons , complex and bigger
- Weird, Horror and Scary elements
- Princess Zelda Playable character

Thats all i ask it.

Thorpe

Looks great and caught me by surprise at the end of the Nintendo Direct (rare nowadays with everything leaking or "rumors" right before the presentations). Would be cool if they let you play as both or either. Going to be lots of speculation on this trailer alone, will definitely be fun to read them.

Team long hair Zelda! (She looks great with short hair too, but typically a fan of long hair). Reminds me of Bayonetta.

VertigoOA

Banned
I mean...

...the trailer literally shows them exploring a dungeon...

...so...

No it doesn’t. It’s a cave or temple or who cares. No reason to assume it’s a Zelda dungeon.

BotW had zero Zelda dungeons. I’d want to see a ballpark 6-8 proper dungeons if map size is comparable to botw. When I realized those animal puzzle things were what we got instead ... it was a bit of a killjoy. The exploration element is what made the game for me.

I’d be more than okay with the shrine challenges not being a thing in any form. All that content should be were it always has, in dungeons. The non linear excuse was a cop out to me. I shouldn’t be getting a more satisfying dungeon crawling experience from destiny with shattered throne and raids than a Zelda game. Even mass effect had dungeons that year.

I still really enjoyed the game and it was my favorite Zelda since majoras mask but I didn’t walk away without a shit ton of criticisms. The combat encounters were weak aside from the one interesting lyonel enemy type, the weapon loot system was meh too. Too much trash handed out forcing you to not use the good stuff and the durability system sucked balls and saying otherwise is a lie. Let us repair weapons at least.

Those reasons are why Witcher 3 still edges out BotW for fantasy adventure for me at this point. I’m a majoras mask fan tho so I’m hoping this sequel does some similar magic

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
BTOW is only two years old and there's already a sequel, it's just LOZ is so big how could you not? Games average 8-10 review scores, really good for Nintendo.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
BTOW is only two years old and there's already a sequel, it's just LOZ is so big how could you not? Games average 8-10 review scores, really good for Nintendo.

With the accolades and Score that Bring BOTW and the assets... is easy guess that NIntendo in Secret was Development this game for 2 years, so can be launch in 2020 or 2021.

balgajo

I was happy with the surprise but strangely unhyped with the reveal trailer. I don't know why I'm feeling like this given that Zelda is my favorite series. Maybe I thought it would be more different from BOTW. Though at the same time it can be very interesting.

Last edited:
BOTW looked fucking amazing, and the gameplay was spot on. Use the same graphics and physics engine, and I'm happier than a pig in shit. Throw in a slightly more traditional Zelda format with that engine than I'm already harder than fucking diamonds.

I appreciate BOTW for what it was, and I wouldn't want it changed, but a better narrative would make it the GOAT.

Tevious

This better have proper dungeons AND bosses this time. FFS, the ones in BotW were all just redundant and awful.

If it has BotW open world with older Zelda dungeons, and no weapon durability this will be the best Zelda of all time
I'd rather they change the setting or at least do some kind of dark world version of Hyrule. They don't have to make a new setting so big though.

Major's mask took 8 months to develop. This has had 2 years to stew in those glorious BOTW juices. It's probably just being polished.

Last edited:

Meesh

Major's mask took 8 months to develop. This has had 2 years to stew in those glorious BOTW juices. It's probably just being polished.
Yes..... BotW juices overfloweth in the trailer, it looks identical in landscape (hope not) and feels like a darker story perhaps. Like how Majoras was a darker game than Oot. The imagery lends itself to a spiritistic feel in the resurrection of the bad guy and the dark traveling of Link and Zelda.

here's a thought, Final Fantasy VII (Now a remake) head to head with Zelda once again. (BotW sequel) Just like yesteryear, but will both games redefine their names in their respective series? Interesting times lol

Yes..... BotW juices overfloweth in the trailer, it looks identical in landscape (hope not) and feels like a darker story perhaps. Like how Majoras was a darker game than Oot. The imagery lends itself to a spiritistic feel in the resurrection of the bad guy and the dark traveling of Link and Zelda.

here's a thought, Final Fantasy VII (Now a remake) head to head with Zelda once again. (BotW sequel) Just like yesteryear, but will both games redefine their names in their respective series? Interesting times lol

Exploration-wise, the landscape could be reused if there are new secrets to find in new places. I suspect they would simply add another region(s). Hyrule castle lifting into the air....could be a mario galaxy situation...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Exploration-wise, the landscape could be reused if there are new secrets to find in new places. I suspect they would simply add another region(s). Hyrule castle lifting into the air....could be a mario galaxy situation...
Adding dense pockets of architecture and underground ruins/dungeons would go a long way to shaking up the map. I still want breathtaking landscapes stretching out below me, but I wouldn't mind a mostly-identical map (in terms of naturally-occurring topography) with a lot more castles, bridges, bustling towns and roadways, open fields full of threatening enemies, big ruins, big dungeons, etc

I wouldn't mind if they amped up the survival/homesteading/crafting elements, too.

I hope they do not alter the structure too much from BotW. It still needs to be freeform, beatable with a bare minimum of items, and focused on exploration. It can't go back to railroading the player through a bunch of exposition and dialogue with NPCs. Yeah yeah, muh puzzle dungeons, but please let the fans of actiony Zelda have some time in the sun.

God Enel

Maybe we're going back to alttp. In BotW 1 you played the "light world" and in the sequel you're going back to the "shadow/dark world" lol

Btw. why does everyone want to play zelda? isnt she.. like the one who has to be saved?

Zannegan

If that happens, then I think we can forget about this game having any form of deep story in any capacity whatsoever.
I dunno. What if Link is caught up in that little kerfuffle with the corpse, Zelda's the only one that gets out unscathed, thereby becoming the main character for the game? They could try out a fully voiced protagonist for the first time in the series without pissing off the purists... not too much anyway. Story could be just as deep since you'd be writing for a single character, deeper maybe given the setup, and that BotW wasn't all that deep to begin with. *shrug*

If we're going to be stuck in the same Hyrule, I think it would be interesting to at least see an all-new power/moveset.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Ok I should really get around to playing the first one :p

Boy are you in for a treat. I'd love to experience it all over again from zilch.

I hope they try not making the game so tedious this time around

27msfish-Large.jpg

Last edited:

rubenburgt

If it will be released in the switch, then I will sell my ps4 pro and buy a switch.

I love Breath of the Wild on the Wii-U, and I didn't bought a switch, because of the strange censorships they did on the Wii-U, but it seems Sony is the one who's doing that now and Nintendo not.

Typhares

Boy are you in for a treat. I'd love to experience it all over again from zilch.

I'm sure but I just keep putting it off for some reason. Probably cause I know it's a big game so I just do smaller titles first... but there are always more :p

JaffeLion

Banned
Oh boy another third person survival crafting game that's basically a reskin of a ubisoft game. Yipee! Wake me up when nintendo actually makes another zelda game.

lol wut
did u even play this game? its better than any ubisoft game lol

Maybe we're going back to alttp. In BotW 1 you played the "light world" and in the sequel you're going back to the "shadow/dark world" lol

Btw. why does everyone want to play zelda? isnt she.. like the one who has to be saved?

Playing Zelda would be so cool buy they have to be extremely careful. The mold of TLOZ is built mostly from Link/Player's point of view with Zelda/others coming in to bring mystery, plot, and reasons for your ass to run around 5 hours in a dungeon while they take the short routes

*reads bolded*
*looks at avatar*

The memories may have been a bandaid solution over a gameplay-comes-first story, but ill gladly take that over making a story that involves a bunch of spinoffs that become almost neccessary to play just to understand whats going on in the actual sequel.
Lol, you not talking about KH3 are you *cough* lol

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but BotW is the only Zelda I did not care for. I am a huge Zelda fan/collector and have played every single game etc blah blah... BotW just did not do it for me one bit. Gameplay felt really nice, loved the size of the world, but felt empty/repetitive/lifeless. Shrines/'dungeons' were absolutely boring. Was really shocked to be honest.

Will obviously get the sequel being a huge Zelda fan, I just hope it is far better... please don't hurt me :messenger_beaming:

RPGCrazied

Its possible but Hyrule Castle could have zipped to a new place to explore. Its probably going to use the same world I feel though.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I predict holiday 2020. The engine is already complete, which was surely a huge chunk in the timeline of developing BOTW, and they're likely already well into the scenario development by this point to show that kind of trailer rather than a simpler teaser.

RPGCrazied

I only have the BOTW on Wii U, this announcement had me ordering the switch version. Been over a year since I last played it.

Top Bottom