• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Gskyace

There was a post from China, said that he was moved to another line which produce a Nintendo device. Then he draw a picture, which has became a reality now.

6cb6b03bgw1e82uf651suj206k064weo.jpg

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Yep. The DS line was just killed off. This is the GameBoy Micro of the the DS generation. Just missing the "Micro" part and the cool style and the class of that amazing little game player.

It would make sense if this could double as a WiiU controller, but what kid wants to shove this in their backpack?

They screwed up the Wii and their company's bottom line with their obession with tablets. Now they're going to screw up their most popular line of products with their tablet obsession.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Now that i think about it even this one doesn't have the second stick!

Same as original style 3DS.

Someone posted the fact-sheet a little higher up, re-posting for reasons:

2EXf1ed.png

Wait it doesn't even have power saving mode?
This is big lack for a handheld imo.

nekomix

Just... WTF? What the fucking hell is happening right now?

2DS, what an understandable name :-D No confusion with DS and 3DS...

Random question: Why didn't Nintendo make a Nintendo Direct to announce this and try and control the messaging?

Seems like contextualizing the device in a video before showing it would have somewhat minimized the blowback.

Here in England you can buy a 3DS for about £100 odd if you look about so I just dont get it. Not only that if Nintendo decided to put secnond analogue on then I could get it but I just can't, Nintendo have well and truly lost it.

ffdgh

Good lord it's atrocist. No clam shell design. Ugly design. Not really portable. And last but not lease...name confusion incoming as if they needed more.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fucking hell Nintendo, your naming conventions are getting annoying.

There isn't much else they could have called it, it doesn't have 3D so it naturally can't be a 3DS.

I guess they could have gone with something retarded like 3DS-0 or even 3DS-lite, but even then there is no 3D so why call it a 3DS?

The packaging better have in huge bolded words PLAYS YOUR FAVORITE 3DS GAMES! Or anything to avoid confusion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Will 3DS software boxart continue to have "3DS" on the side or some other kind of moniker? Is this digital-only?

This device looks very odd. I suppose it makes sense. Making sturdy hinges isn't easy, so if you want to produce a really cheap one, abandoning the clam shell form factor seems reasonable. But still, it looks odd. Apart from that: Only one speaker? Anybody know what that thing above the buttons is? I can't think of anything. Camera and mic are in other places. Maybe IR?

I was excited about the possibilities when I read the title...

...yeeeeah I'll stick with my 3DS thanks.

that is the point. The lineup now is 3ds, XL and 2ds

you still have a choice. I already have an XL but my wife plays it all the time, she hates 3D guess what I will get her?

Will 3DS software boxart continue to have "3DS" on the side or some other kind of moniker? Is this digital-only?

No it says it plays 3ds and DS games so it can't be digital only.

Joqu

Looks very ergonomic, it'll be cheaper and parents will be able to let little kids use it without having to worry. It's not a big deal really, we aren't supposed to be the audience for it.

But yes, it's ugly.

Why the fuck have they not made it a clamshell ?

edit: and a MONO SPEAKER ? WHAT.

Alright, fuck that shit.
Honestly, I think the clamshell is done. Nintendo see itself competing with tablets and slates. Whatever comes after the 3DS is going in that direction, rightly or wrongly. The 2DS is just the beginning.

If it crashes and burns, GBA Micro style, maybe that will change.

WEGGLES

This device makes a lot of sense:

- Tablet design to play into the booming tablet market, less intimidating for children/familes that are only used to tablets.
- Unessential features (3D, stereo sound) cut to drive production cost down, so it can be sold to children/families for cheap.
- Sell alongside Pokemon for mass casual appeal.
- No vulnerable hinges kids can easily damage.
- No second stick because that would be stupid. This is a budget 3DS, not an upgrade.
- No 3DS brand to avoid "why can't this [3DS Lite] not play 3D? I want my money back!" questions.

The only two things I can't wrap my head around are

- It's designed to cut production costs as much as possible, yet there's still a 3D camera in there?
- Pokemon is a system seller, it's gonna sell a shit ton of 3DSs anyway. If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't want to give them a cheap option.

If you are not a kid/don't have kids/already have a 3DS (XL) you are not supposed to be interested in this device. You are not the target audience.

It likely avoids having to make two different sets of firmware. It's likely cheaper to just have the 3D cameras than have a system that can't play games that require them (do any?).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That's err, random, and rather ugly. From the pictures I expected a bigger device until I saw the video and gifs, doesn't look very portable though, and I see people saying it is ergonomic, it doesn't really look ergonomic to me at all.

At the same time, with the 3DS original form factor with the two screens and everything this has, it would have been fantastic to have from the start without all the 3d stuff.

Vibranium

Banned
Wow, this definitely was a huge surprise, but the design isn't really my style, though I'd imagine some people might dig it, I guess we'll see how it sells. I'm sticking with the clamshell to the end, I'd have it no other way.

butman

What i really wanted for the next 3DS redesign was:

- Both screen Wide
- Second analog
- Oled screens

But this is real life.

So, let's say that you have an e-Reader, an iPad or an iPad Mini.

Your kids want to play on it; but you're worried about it breaking, or them finding illicit content, and so forth.

This is what you hand them. It looks similar to a tablet, has a lot of parental control features, is inexpensive, and it launches the same day as that new Pokemon game they've been bugging you about.

Now we just need some sort of CBR/PDF reader, and Hulu Plus.

This does fix a few things though: People complaining about not being able to see 3D and people complaining about the "hinge wobble" anti-cracking feature on the 3DS/3DS XL.

Top Bottom