• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

5tPCRDJ.jpg
he's saying this as a reply to the guy because he's got the same questions two times before already. it's not his opinion about 2ds.

edit: 2late...

So if this article is correct and Nintendo really is using a single, larger (masked) screen instead of the two previous ones - then what LCD-panel are they using? It must be something like 533x400 (4:3) but that doesn't sound like a dirtcheap, "mainstream" component. Or is it VGA (640x480)?

DirtyLarry

Love the price.
Love the not having 3D on a handheld.
Hate everything else. How the hell can that even be remotely close to being playable in ones hands? I really want to hold one just to see how bad it is.

Yes, but putting the system in sleep mode with a button makes no sense under that context. What the game wants you to do is to press something, which you can simulate with closing the 3DS. How is a sleep button at all related to that? It will just confuse people for no good reason.

Oh I agree. It's just sometimes I'd like to carry the system around closed, but not necessarily have it in sleep, and vice versa.

Acosta

You're not odd, and the sales will tell it. Nerds are just being loud, as usual.

You know, when a majority of people in a videogames forum say they don't like a videogames console design they are not being nerds, neckbeards or whatever shitty general definition you want to put. They are just expressing an opinion about the topic they usually talk about.

I'm sorry you feel so insecure that you can't express your own opinion without petty commentaries about the rest of us, but don't worry, I'm sure you can say "I'm ok with this design" without fear around here.

And even if this thing sells like cookies it doesn't change it is a hideous design for many of us.

jmls1121

Banned
The fact that something is a toy doesn't make design unimportant.

Of course not. But your idea, and the idea of most adults, of what good design is, may be different than a kid's. Or a parent's.

I look at this thing, and I see affordable, indestructible and safe. How many parents do you think had to buy a new DS for little Jimmy because they snapped the hinge?

It looks like shit to me as well, by the way. But I could absolutely see the appeal to parents.

To be fair at least it's clearly not for us. It looks a bit like a fisher price toy, a fisher price toy that just happens to play virtues last reward. Also I don't get the confusion I've seen on twitter about the fact it doesn't close, since it's actually for kids this is clearly the most durable way to make it.

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks....interesting. I'd actually have to see one in person to say yay or nay on it. I'll probably stick with the XL though.

It's a definitely a strong alternative though for parents who are worried about 3D for their kids. A lower price point helps with that too.

jrcbandit

This product makes perfect sense, they just didn't need to make it so goddamn ugly. Now Nintendo can truly discontinue the DS sales with this price point - this will help with the problem of parents buying 3DS games that don't work in their kids DS, ie, they thought it was the same but just not in 3D.... The lack of a hinge is also understandable to make it more durable and hopefully add a better battery (does it have more battery life??).

I do have to wonder about who signed off on the final design. They could have used the same concept but made it alot more aesthetically pleasing and potentially more ergonomic.

Ummmm, you know that you only handle the bottom half of a normal 3DS yes?

Look at the distance from d-pad/buttons to the touch screen on the OG 3DS. Then notice the distance from d-pad/analog stick to the shoulder button.

Then go and really look at the 2DS. those distances are MUCH longer, which is bizarre as the "target market" is children under 7.

Yes I do know that you only hold the bottom half of the 3DS. And the placement isn't so far out of reach for the shoulder buttons on the 2DS, but you know what you're right its not for kids because they can't possibly hold it correctly. My youngest son that can play the WiiU just fine with the gamepad is clearly the exception with his giant man hands that he has. Clearly Nintendo didn't think this through and this abomination should be killed with fire.

Metalmarc

Ok i fell asleep this afternoon for 2 hours, wake up and this is an actual thing?

Ok now i know i am dreaming, so when i wake up that part of the dream will be gone right?

Ok.....,*pinches self*

Its still a thing? Okkkaaaayyyyyyyyyyy go home nintendo ur drunk

Please don't.
Please don't what?

Did you see the picture of 2 adults playing it? Can't really use that argument.
“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer. We’ve always been thinking about, 'how do we approach that as one target?'" he continued. "And that certainly helped spur the idea of the Nintendo 2DS."

You know, when a majority of people in a videogames forum say they don't like a videogames console they are not being nerds, neckbeards or whatever shitty definition you want to put. They are just expressing an opinion about the topic they usually talk about.

I'm sorry you feel so insecure that you can't express your own opinion without petty commentaries about the rest of us, but don't worry, I'm sure you can say "I'm ok with this design" without fear around here.

And even if this thing sells like cookies it doesn't change it is a hideous design for many of us.

Could not agree more. It's troublesome to say the least that there's a group saying people cannot criticize the design just because "it's not intended for them".

These aren't made by kids.

Can't take the April fools comments anymore. Please stop. It has been done, it's old already.

The product looks strange, but would buy one if it was region free.

qko

In this thread: a lot of people are easily confused.
(seriously, there is enough "wait...wut...wut...I don't even...wut" and "the fuck? is this april fools?" in this one thread to properly respond to hundreds of nintendo threads.)

It's just another option for people who are interested in playing the games released for the 3DS. Features have been removed, lower price point achieved. Very simple.

I think Nintendo pretty much decided that there is a segment of the population that feels that the 3D is making the 3DS more expensive than it should be and don't want to purchase a 3DS until something like this would come out. Well something like this has come out so now those people can decide.

There will be some that won't buy one, others that might jump in, and another segment that will now buy a 3DS.

emag

The original 3DS is a bit rough with its edges but what Nintendo hardware is uncomfortable to use???

Game & Watch, N64 controller, GCN d-pad, GBA SP, DS, DSi, DSi XL, Wii Classic Controller, 3DS, 3DS XL.

Nintendo hit it out of the park with the SNES controller and the original GBA; everything since has been compromised in one way or another. Thankfully, the 2DS appears to be more comfortable than the DS/3DS line.

I like removal of 3D and the lowered price, but hate the design and don't think the price is low enough. $99 with Animal Crossing packed in and I'd consider it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
My point is that Nintendo doesn't make uncomfortable hardware.

Or at least nothing I have bought from them in that regard was.

The original 3DS is a bit rough with its edges but what Nintendo hardware is uncomfortable to use???

And no, the Virtual Boy never counts ever.
Well, the 3Ds XL doesn't feel uncomfortable, at least not for me.
The original GB Advance was nice too.
And the Gamecube Controller was good in my opinion.
I don't count the Wii U Controller as it's obviously based on the competitors designs.

bbdude

If it's lighter, has significantly longer battery life, and a better screen (not talking resolution), then whatever man, I'm for it.

Timeaisis

“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

People are over-analyzing that press release picture. It's just a freaking picture. It's obviously targeted to a younger demographic. People oft forget Nintendo is a toy company, after all.

DigitalOp

Banned
My first thought - is this april fools?

My next thought - $129? This will sell a shitload.

My last thought - If there is a 3D-less 3DS, maybe a gamepad-less WiiU is next.

My first thought - Haha silly Joke thread... Holy friggin shit... wtf this is real?

My next thought - I wonder if I can get my 3DS XL cheaper because of this?

My last thought - Hmm so its not that crazy of an idea for the kids, could be a holiday seller

scitek

The reason I play my 3DS in 2D is because the AA makes it look better. The jaggies in 3D mode are often too distracting for me to enjoy it. This won't have the improved image quality, but I don't think anyone looking to buy it cares.

The main issue I see is them having to clarify that the 2DS plays 3DS games and not its own. People are dumb like that.

Top Bottom