• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Just had a thought, this console will make certain old DS games unplayable without a guide. I distinctly remember Another Code: Two Memories has a puzzle that required you to almost fully close your DS and reflect the bottom screen onto the top one to continue onwards.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Nintendo should make an autosteroscopic wide screen (21:9 aspect ratio).

3DW...3d Wylde...recapture some of the naming mojo of the Wii.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Gamebuy Cubed has a place in this world given that WiiU no longer supports 'Cube games.

But why do they have grown ups playing it in another pic if its ONLY for kids like Nintendo fans here are saying?

That image of the adults playing is from the announcment video. To be fair, however, the focus of that video is very much centred on kids using the device. The device's suitability for adults is essentially considered a bonus; at least, that's how that video presents it.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit. The white x red 2DS that Europe is getting looks fucking gorgeous. Totally reminds me of the Famicom. Why is NA stuck with the shitty black x red...

Cat Party

The idea to me is fine. 3D was never something I was excited about. But the execution of this is so odd. I still might buy one for my kids.

t26

Just had a thought, this console will make certain old DS games unplayable without a guide. I distinctly remember Another Code: Two Memories has a puzzle that required you to almost fully close your DS and reflect the bottom screen onto the top one to continue onwards.

Just put it in sleep mode will do the same thing.

Teppic

Count me in as another who thought people were referring to the DS when they said 2DS.

Would have been interested in this if it was a real 2D machine, with the directional pad at the top.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Odd but cool. Very smart decision by Ninty I think. They just need better industrial design. Where's my glass and metal adult 3DS?

This could be a great move to get the 7 and under crowd to buy when Pokemon X/Y release. The problem is brand confusion with consumers not knowing a 2DS plays 3DS games. I wonder how consumers will react.

Grimsen

That image of the adults playing is from the announcment video. To be fair, however, the focus of that video is very much centred on kids using the device. The device's suitability for adults is essentially considered a bonus; at least, that's how that video presents it.

The video shows a kid playing alone, two adults playing together, and an adult playing with a kid.

Two of the three scenarios in the video have an adult in them. And two have a kid.

I don't see the focus on kids you speak of.

To make sure everyone ''gets it'', Nintendo should hire the Trix rabbit, right?

18-Volt

Laugh all you want but this is the only way to break sales records with Pokémon XY. I mean, there are 2 3DS variants and they cost $170 and $200. How could you sell 9 million Pokémon with those expensive consoles? DS Lite was 130 and GBA was 100 when their Pokémon launched.

Btw, after seeing this, I want a budget PS Vita with a clamshell design. They shouls call it PS Viti.

Portugeezer

The video shows a kid playing alone, two adults playing together, and an adult playing with a kid.

Two of the three scenarios in the video have an adult in them.

I don't see the focus on kids you speak of.

To make sure everyone ''gets it'', Nintendo should hire the Trix rabbit, right?

I think in various clips the adults are playing with a 3DS and kid with a 2DS.

I'm not going to watch again to check, never going to watch that.

They really missed out here. No 3D means they could have done something like this:

2ds-redesign.png

I'd buy 4.

I was all for it until I saw it. Should have made it a clamshell. Ugliest design in the history of gaming. Nintendo has lost their damn minds.

Marda

Neo Member
Got excited but then I saw it...good lord, doesn't look portable at all, too bad. Hopefully if it does well they'll come out with a clamshell version

diamount

Banned
There isn't much else they could have called it, it doesn't have 3D so it naturally can't be a 3DS.

I guess they could have gone with something retarded like 3DS-0 or even 3DS-lite, but even then there is no 3D so why call it a 3DS?

The packaging better have in huge bolded words PLAYS YOUR FAVORITE 3DS GAMES! Or anything to avoid confusion.

Yeah, they kinda shot themselves in the foot with the 3DS in the first place. But now there are 3 versions of the 3DS on the market, they should considering phasing the original one out. But when paired with the XL, again people will probably assume it's a predecessor.

DigitalOp

Banned
I get it now...!!!

In the nintendo family, Your kid has a 2DS! Your wife has a OG 3DS! And you big boy, you have a 3DS XL!!

Local play and everyone's happy!!!.... I think

Top Bottom