• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

The different sized screens would be a problem, actually releasing the 3DS with 2 different sized screens was one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen in a while, I don't know what goals they are hitting when they make these odd design decisions.

No it wouldn't, It would work like in my mockup. They just have to redesign the OS for the 2DS and developers can decide whether or not to include 2DS functionality. If they don't, it shows like it normally would with the bottom screen framed by black.

weevles

I don't think anyone asked for this. I mean, you can play 3DS games in 2D on your 3DS already. And it's not like they are cutting back the price dramatically...$99.99 would've been a megaton (albeit unrealistic and not really possible right now).

I dunno what it is about Nintendo these days, but their products have this "rushed", "not well thought through" vibe about them, even though these things were probably in development for a while.

In the Club Nintendo post plays I always say that I use the 3D in a balanced way. I guess a lot more people said they didn't use it and/or didn't want it?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
19943b35-s.jpg

Anyone posted the 2daxe yet

I doubt it. Pretty sure you won't be finishing Trace Memory/Another Code on this....

Wh-- Why wouldn't the sleep switch act as a lid closing? Multiple things from the stock 3DS were kept for 2DS for software compatibility reasons (see: 3D cameras).

Also, from the comparison spreadsheet:

Sleep Mode:
2DS: √ Sleep Switch
3DS: √ By closing the console
3DS XL: √ By closing the console

Vamphuntr

Looks kind of bad. The removal of the 3D is no big loss to me since most people I know never bothered to use it.

Seems like they want to go against tablets with the design but without any tablet features. 3DS games are still 30-50$ and the eshop is no Itunes/App store. Don't think the price is that great either. Got my 3DS two years ago brand new for 100$ during a promo.

Are they going to modify 3DS games cases? Because people will start asking why are there only 3DS games and no 2DS games.

Panic Iwata is fun to watch.

RayMaker

Banned
My god why did they make this so you cant fold it?

It must be greedy Nintendo thinking they can shave some £££ of the production cost.

This thing will probably sell ok because of the cost, but not going clamshell really boggles my mind,what were they thinking!

The Lamp

No 3D? That's garbage. The main point behind their entire design of the original handheld was 3D. They even designed games around the depth feature and the restrictions of 1 screen being 3D. This shows a total lack of confidence in their product focus.

On top of that it's ugly as sin.

bon

I didn't get the point of this until I saw the price. That's significantly cheaper than a normal 3DS. A whole lot of moms are going to buy a 2DS and Pokémon for their kid this Christmas.

I don't want one for myself but this is smart.

I realize they probably wanted to avoid more SKU confusion and that's the reason for the different look but the clamshape is the superior form factor.

Who the hell is asking for this btw?

I can't believe this. That thing looks terrible, looks uncomfortable to hold, will cause plenty of confusion (especially when factoring in Nintendo's recent history of subpar marketing) and seems largely pointless. And the name sucks. Assuming the manufacturing cost is low, the 2DS seems like a desperate cash-in attempt by Nintendo to get a product out there at a mass market price. Especially considering their recent financial losses.

Nintendo has been like a chicken with its head cut off lately. They are just clueless when it comes to hardware. This company is in serious trouble. They badly need new blood in management to right the ship before it's too late.

Wh-- Why wouldn't the sleep switch act as a lid closing? Multiple things from the stock 3DS were kept for 2DS for software compatibility reasons (see: 3D cameras).

Also, from the comparison spreadsheet:

Sleep Mode:
2DS: √ Sleep Switch
3DS: √ By closing the console
3DS XL: √ By closing the console
It had absolutely nothing to do with the lid closing - you had to physically close the clamshell just enough to reflect the bottom screen onto the glossy coating of the top screen so it'd overlay an image onto another one and let you solve the puzzle.

So, this is the way the world ends...

...couldn't even give it the second analog, eh, Nintendo?

EDIT: this isn't going to be the Pokemon x/y bundle, right?

daemonic

Banned
Too big.

UyvSJmk.png

It's time to go back to basics.

This is what they should have done from day one and drop the DS name to avoid confusing consumers. Keep it simple. High res screen with 3D capabilities. Needs a dpad though. They could have continued to sell the DS alongside it and phase it out gradually.

Revven

Guys, it's for people who want to buy Pokemon this holiday season and don't own a 3DS already. It's a price reduction to get the games into more hands, hands that were probably wary of dipping at $150+.

If you don't like it, then it's not for you, buy the $150+ models.

After watching the video of people playing it, I think it looks pretty rad. I love my 3DS XL, but this will eventually be a luxury purchase for me. I don't understand all the hate. It's cheaper. Hopefully it will be a hit with kids, and boost the handheld market in the states.

and after perusing this thread, "Nintendo clearly doesn't care about 3D anymore" "This is Nintendo's most confusing branding yet!" etc. & other kneejerk sentiments are going right in my big book of silly shit that gamers think because reasons. I've worked in retail and I'm no stranger to how misinformed people can be but for some reason I'm willing to give people enough credit to believe that they can infer the difference between a 2DS and a 3DS based on name alone without thinking that the former, with its wide screen and practically identical branding and OS (visible on the front of the damn box), is a continuation of the original DS line.

I don't like the design of this thing but I do think that it will sell, and sell well at that, to a target audience that clearly isn't us, or hey, might even be if saving $50 is worth stylistic and technological paring-back to you. I'm thinking of picking one up myself because my current 3DS is a piece of shit with broken shoulder buttons and a hinge that goes on the fritz triggering sleep mode or power-offs when it feels like it

Remember when the 3DS XL revealed and everyone was like:

"LOL Is this aimed at old people who can't see? LOL"

So the XL is for old people with bad eyes, and this is for "Little kids". What the fuck are us middle guys supposed to use?

Top Bottom