• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

I'd like something like this for 99 bucks.

CFJFLP3.jpg

That's what I'd imagine the next GameBoy would look like. Or maybe they're saving that brand for an actual Tablet. It's going to lose any name value it had in a few years regardless.

No they weren't and no they're not. Tablets are barely gaming devices.

That's the point. Nintendo offers a tablet-like device that focuses on games, something that tablets don't do well.

A lot of people buy tablets just because tech lust, as they are popular, not because they are looking for games. When that demographic sees something like this, they buy it for the tablet and stay for the games.

I don't see the problem. Nintendo isn't losing anything by opting for a more tablet like design if it keeps all the fundamental functionality of the current system, which this new thing does.

Is everyone posting the single screen mockups dense? Or just dumb enough to suggest that they EOL the 3DS as a console and relaunch a new handheld gen mid stride like this?

There are games that use both screens. You cannot have a variation of the 3DS console unless it has both screens else you fuck compatibility with a crapload of games.

That's why this makes so much sense:

It's basically two screens in one.

Cipherr

Is everyone posting the single screen mockups dense? Or just dumb enough to suggest that they EOL the 3DS as a console and relaunch a new handheld gen mid stride like this?

There are games that use both screens. You cannot have a variation of the 3DS console unless it has both screens else you fuck compatibility with a crapload of games.

Guys, it's for people who want to buy Pokemon this holiday season and don't own a 3DS already. It's a price reduction to get the games into more hands, hands that were probably wary of dipping at $150+.

If you don't like it, then it's not for you, buy the $150+ models.

So you drop the price 15 bucks, save money on production and planning and advertising of a new product and save a giant headache thanks to product name/compatibility confusion.

The money used to advertised yet another variation of the 3ds could have been used to sell the games that are apparently so important to justify the variation in the first place.

Nymphae

Banned
My problem with people saying "it's for kids!", is that it doesn't have to look like a baby's toy to be appropriate for children.

I've have had an interest in every single Nintendo handheld ever produced, except this. Tons of kids enjoyed their other handhelds.

krYlon

Remember when the 3DS XL revealed and everyone was like:

"LOL Is this aimed at old people who can't see? LOL"

So the XL is for old people with bad eyes, and this is for "Little kids". What the fuck are us middle guys supposed to use?

The original 3DS?

I play most of my 3DS games with the 3D effect turned off. But I won't be picking this up. It doesn't have that sweet folding clamshell we've all loved since the GBA SP. Though I could understand if one wanted to get this for a kid just to play at home or something.

Clunker

3DSXL x 2DS = "Biggs" and "Wedge"
For fear of this getting lost in the shuffle. 10/10, A++, would buy again.

Alternatively: FF6 remake exclusive to 3DS confirmed.

To actually contribute something of value: I was just in GameStop last week or so when I overhead an employee trying to describe the difference between the DS and the 3DS to a questioning parent. I didn't really know that the "eye-damaging 3D lasers" worry about the 3DS was a real thing, but the dad did express concerns about it. The employee did a nice job of explaining how the system can turn 3D off, but in general he didn't really clarify the power/generational differences between the two systems other than "they're going to stop making DS games a lot sooner."

I think this 2DS is generally a good idea for the younger market in the 5- to 8-year-old range. Going off of how my two young nephews act, though, I think that anyone older than that and moderately interested in game systems would probably consider this too "kiddie," even though they are quite literally still kids.

-Setsuna-

Guys, it's for people who want to buy Pokemon this holiday season and don't own a 3DS already. It's a price reduction to get the games into more hands, hands that were probably wary of dipping at $150+.

If you don't like it, then it's not for you, buy the $150+ models.

Stop making sense, Revven, you're on a gaming forum.

Remember when the 3DS XL revealed and everyone was like:

"LOL Is this aimed at old people who can't see? LOL"

So the XL is for old people with bad eyes, and this is for "Little kids". What the fuck are us middle guys supposed to use?

Nobody did this.

Nobody.

That's the point. Nintendo offers a tablet-like device that focuses on games, something that tablets don't do well.

A lot of people buy tablets just because tech lust, as they are popular, not because they are looking for games. When that demographic sees something like this, they buy it for the tablet and stay for the games.

I don't see the problem. Nintendo isn't losing anything by opting for a more tablet like design if it keeps all the fundamental functionality of the current system, which this new thing does.
You're still talking about the 3ds right?
The new design replaces a hinge...that's it. It's no more tablet than it was before.

I still have no idea why people complained about the 3D since you can turn it on and off so it's not mandatory. But this solidifies that 3D gaming was a fad and it's no-longer a desired endeavor to peruse.

Raist

Banned
Here's an exclusive picture of Nintendo's next handheld, the Nintendo OneDS:

TehWhite

Neo Member
I'm type shocked but I guess I'm in the minority. I love the design. I'm happy to see a hingeless DS. I'm one of those people who wanted a 3ds for pokemon and I'm glad theres an even cheaper model releasing the same day. I've also never cared for the stupid 3D gimmick. BTW I'm not under 7 Lol. I dont understand why people would purchase a system or console for a child under 7 or ok age 5. They dont even know what they are doing and there are too young to take care of there things. People just like to waste money I guess. lol

This is what they should have done from day one and drop the DS name to avoid confusing consumers. Keep it simple. High res screen with 3D capabilities. Needs a dpad though. They could have continued to sell the DS alongside it and phase it out gradually.

The 3DS was never a confusing point to customers. Most recognized it as a DS successor when they saw the box. The confusing points though were always a)could 3DS games play on the DS, which is a question nearly always posed with new systems, and b) could DS games play on a 3DS, which is a worthy question.

The problem of the 3DS was that it was way more expensive than the $99 DSi, few compelling software releases, and (again with price) it was in the price range and even above that of far more useful and potentially educational tablets like the Kindle Fire HD.

Edit: 2DS is problematic though, given 2 is a step back from 3, implying it's an older iteration in traditional naming in marketing. Also, when you see only games for DS and 3DS, what are the uneducated to think of the 2DS where they don't see other options? Some kids may recognize the 2DS and can explain it, but the under 7 demo isn't going to be the most informed, and are quite likely used to their parents' tablets or their friend's 3DS. You can't always rely on the kid being present either when making that purchase, especially during the holidays. This move is banking on consumers making an impulse buy on the lower price point, or having retailers be able to communicate that it's the same as a 3DS. This is of course without Nintendo making waves with marketing, but I don't see them bothering given the past.

Over the years nintendo has made some really stupid hardware choices, it's like there engineers have no idea what the consumers want or do not care about the longevity of the hardware..let alone the what and why of this device, why the fuck this doesn't have a second analogue ??

someone needs to do some major cleaning in their hardware team

Looks really bizzarre and make's me even more greatful for the XL, but it was super smart for Nintendo to offer a cheaper option. It sort of insures that sales of the new Pokemon games can be the best that they can be, and will only expand the already fairly large 3DS userbase.

big_z

The 3ds and XL go on sale for $100 and $150 regularly. 2ds looks like an abortion and a huge mistake. Why confuse the market with shittier hardware to make a price drop when the current hardware has huge margins you can adjust.

Clockwork5

good idea, bad execution. Why the fixed "slate style" form? That thing looks so freaking ugly, looks like it would make a decent door-jam though.

Edit: so I am seeing two different styles. Single screen and double screen... What gives?

Tygamr

Seems like a step backwards for Nintendo. Will 3DS games now also have 2DS branding?

I can see them adding a little thing in one of the corners of game boxes saying 'Plays on 2DS Too!'. Something like that. They'll probably add it to reprints of old 3DS games as well if they go that route.

OryoN

How did this thing get pass the concept phase is beyond me.

I'm not the one for knee-jerk reactions(heck, I usually act as crowd-controll in these situations) but this all kinds of dumb.

- *No clamshell design. A mobile device waging war on mobility!
- No incentives like dual analog or comfortable GBA design(with a center flip lid-screen)
- *Nice way to confuse your produce line Nintendo. You been real good at that lately!
- You built in the ability to turn 3D off on the 3DS. Remember, Nintendo?
- *Goodluck playing games like Pushmo, Mario 3D land, or any heavily '3D-assisted' game.
- Cheaper price negated, 5 times over. A $99 tag MAY have covered the short-comings. The battery life on this thing better be amazing!

This is the most unnecessary idea of a product, from Nintendo, since that Wii 'redesigned' gimped model. For all the $$ that went into designing and manufacturing(plus marketing, and distributing) this thing, they could have covered the bill for more important issues, like a Wii U price drop. Wii U, Nintendo! You know, your one gaming device that could actually use a boost right now.

[The only difference is that they stand to make a profit sooner(poor cheated buyers) with this than With a Wii U price drop. That's their hope, anyway. Though, I can't say it would be well deserved]

Reaction when reading the title: "Oh, fair enough, sounds like a good idea to make it cheaper."

Reaction when seeing the picture: "WTF is that thing, there's no way that is practical. Won't people get it mixed up with the Wii U controller?"

Reaction when thinking about it: "You called it the 2DS!? People will think it's a downgrade!"

The 3ds and XL go on sale for $100 and $150 regularly. 2ds looks like an abortion and a huge mistake. Why confuse the market with shittier hardware to make a price drop when the current hardware has huge margins you can adjust.

Exactly. If they're making as much on this new design as the old one, what was the point? Was Pokémon not going to sell itself?

The only explanation I can come up with is that they want their fans to buy yet another iteration of what they already own because they have absolutely no respect for their most disturbingly unquenchable corner of their fanbase. Not making enough money selling software? Well, sell hardware. Already have new consoles? New design it is then, every year.

Top Bottom