• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces retail release of Art Academy

Shiggy

Nintendo already announced a low-budget release of Art Academy. The two episodes had been DSi exclusive before.

Japan: June 19th
Europe: August 6th

Developer: Headstrong Games
Publisher: Nintendo

4687548951_d87cd10cf7.jpg

Facts:
- first Touch Generation game that both sees a European release and is developed by a Western studio
- 10 lessons
- camera support when "played" on a DSi (XL)
- 80 images can be saved (in the DSi version it was only restricted by the size of your SD card)
- players can send a trial version to other DS systems

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/vaaj/index.html
There's a comparison between the retail and DSi games as well as an interview with Tancred Dyke-Wells of Headstrong Games.

i197343-x390-y295-q100-a0-r1-h491101187711212188107
i197361-x390-y295-q100-a0-r1-h10097671151107085119

i197337-x390-y295-q100-a0-r1-h6683749810511684112
i197349-x390-y295-q100-a0-r1-h9898777699665555

More information to follow soon. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Shiggy said:
an interview with Tancred Dyke-Wells of Headstrong Games.

Great name, or greatest name?

Glad I didn't shell out for the downloadable release yet - if this package looks good and the price is right, I'd rather go with a boxed version.

farnham

Banned
so this is made by headstrong

interesting (hope they are doing either Batallion Wars 3 or Overkill 2 though)

Shiggy

Cosmonaut X said:
Great name, or greatest name?

Glad I didn't shell out for the downloadable release yet - if this package looks good and the price is right, I'd rather go with a boxed version.

Should be 29.99 EUR, based on the price of the Elle a Table software.

Somnid

The main differences from what I gather seem to be preloaded photos and frames plus a few mini lessons. Hardly seems worth the doubled price and the lack of SD card saving.

Shiggy

farnham said:
so this is made by headstrong

interesting (hope they are doing either Batallion Wars 3 or Overkill 2 though)

Their other Wii game for Nintendo was cancelled some years ago. Right now they are working on Aragorn's Quest for Wii as well as Sorcerer's Apprentice.

@Somnid
They've also added more "real" lessons, I believe.

Somnid

Shiggy said:
@Somnid
They've also added more "real" lessons, I believe.

The chart say it has 10 lessons plus a demo. The two DSiWare games combined have 10 lessons. The difference is that it says the DSiWare versions have 7 mini lessons combined and this one has 10 mini lessons.

Shiggy

Chris1964 said:
June 19 for Japan

Thanks!

wrowa said:
The first good-looking German boxart in years.
Germany needs more non-games.

What about the Classic Book Collection or Elle a Table? ;D

@Somnid
Thanks for that, did not really know how many lessons the DSi episodes have.

Lijik

Do they elaborate on what it means by camera support?
Will gladly double dip to get the second semester lessons if theres an option to paint over photos.

wrowa said:
The first good-looking German boxart in years.

Germany needs more non-games.
I can read the "dieses Produkt benötigt keine Alterseinstufung" but aren't those USK stickers a must for every "game"? Looks nice without it though :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kilrogg said:
You've got me intrigued. Care to elaborate?

basically this is a compilation of two dsiware apps; art academy first semester and art academy second semester. each game consists of a half-dozen or so drawing lessons where you learn a technique and are asked to draw a certain object. it has a sort of bob ross-esque "you're painting with me" quality to it. they don't focus so much on technical exactness, but at the end you're able to compare your painting to a sample painting of the same thing.

the cool thing about it is that most of the techniques that they're teaching you also apply to real-world drawing, so it's more of an art tutorial than it is a "how to use this app" tutorial.

you can also free paint, which is very cool, save to an sd card (and thus share with people), etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPR0OcEq3U <-- here's some random youtube video of some stuff someone drew with the first semester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWt6bCoimo&feature=related <-- here's a random video from the same person with the second semester

unfortunately both apps were 800 points which, like all the other 800 point games, is a scam but i still highly recommend both and if you don't have a dsi definitely check out this retail release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Galang said:
Also wondering how deep/useful this game is to someone who's actually an artist.

if you're actually an artist, you probably won't get much out of the learning aspect of the game which is kinda the main focus. still, there is a free draw mode, a nice variety of tools, and as you can see from the sample art there, there's a focus on brush-work.

if you already have a portable art program that you're satisfied with, you probably don't need this. the real emphasis is teaching people techniques.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stumpokapow said:
basically this is a compilation of two dsiware apps; art academy first semester and art academy second semester. each game consists of a half-dozen or so drawing lessons where you learn a technique and are asked to draw a certain object. it has a sort of bob ross-esque "you're painting with me" quality to it. they don't focus so much on technical exactness, but at the end you're able to compare your painting to a sample painting of the same thing.

the cool thing about it is that most of the techniques that they're teaching you also apply to real-world drawing, so it's more of an art tutorial than it is a "how to use this app" tutorial.

you can also free paint, which is very cool, save to an sd card (and thus share with people), etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPR0OcEq3U <-- here's some random youtube video of some stuff someone drew with the first semester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWt6bCoimo&feature=related <-- here's a random video from the same person with the second semester

unfortunately both apps were 800 points which, like all the other 800 point games, is a scam but i still highly recommend both and if you don't have a dsi definitely check out this retail release.

Thank you.

I have a DSi. Would you recommend I wait for the retail release? At first glance I don't see any improvement over the two DSiWare versions, and I'm sure it will cost between 20 and 30€ (vs. 16€ for the downloadable apps).

Aren't the games a little light on content?

Lijik

Stumpokapow said:
if you're actually an artist, you probably won't get much out of the learning aspect of the game which is kinda the main focus.
I'd make that "if you're actually a painter".
While the first few lessons did nothing for me, I found the ones that focused on painting and technique to be extremely helpful.

Galang

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
if you're actually an artist, you probably won't get much out of the learning aspect of the game which is kinda the main focus. still, there is a free draw mode, a nice variety of tools, and as you can see from the sample art there, there's a focus on brush-work.

if you already have a portable art program that you're satisfied with, you probably don't need this. the real emphasis is teaching people techniques.
Lijik said:
I'd make that "if you're actually a painter".
While the first few lessons did nothing for me, I found the ones that focused on painting and technique to be extremely helpful.

Okay thanks, I have experience with most things aside from painting/shading in color, so this should still be nice to ease me into it.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
Fuck yeah, the game is coming to North America! :D :D

Art Academy, which launches Oct. 25 at a suggested retail price of $19.99, provides everyone from beginners to experts with tools to create their own works of art plus simple tutorials to learn about color, shading, movement and perspective. The skills learned in Art Academy are transferable to real-life art materials outside of the Nintendo DS environment. Art Academy includes all 10 of the lessons and tools from both Art Academy: First Semester and Art Academy: Second Semester, which are available separately as Nintendo DSiWare downloads. Plus there are 10 Mini Lessons and more than 80 motifs that players can choose from to use as reference material when creating their art.

Boney

Banned
This feels to me like.. "hey, there's a game that's actually doing decent on DSiware! Let's port it over!!"

I know I shouldn't.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Thank the heavens. I was actually going to buy the DSi-ware version today but I'll wait for the retail version.

Thank you OP for letting me know this existed! I won't be getting the retail release, but I just bought both of them from DSiware a minute ago. First piece of DSiware I have gotten since Flipnote Studio that came with my XL. As a student currently studying art right now, this should make for some useful practice. This really made my day.

BDGAME

OMG, if 3DS isn't in the corner, I can buy a DSi only for this game.

I love art. I love draw and I need this!

That youtube videos are fantastics too!

Top Bottom