• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Zangeki no REGINLEIV (Wii), Last Window [Hotel Dusk 2] (DS)

shuyin_

Banned
Himuro said:
Terrible writing, terrible story, terrible puzzles, haha let's give the player a game over for making a stupid girl cry, terrible graphics, hey let's review this chapter like it's Sesame Street!

The translators were more talented than the writers, that's a testament to the game's quality.
Wow.... so i guess you enjoy your average jrpg story of the 'save the world from the bad guy(s)' type...
Hotel Dusk has a wonderful story of personal drama and i remember enjoying the well written ending.

I wasn't expecting anyone to say HD has a terrible story. Then again, people that say this are people that probably think GI Joe has a deep story...

TunaLover

Himuro said:
Terrible writing, terrible story, terrible puzzles, haha let's give the player a game over for making a stupid girl cry, terrible graphics, hey let's review this chapter like it's Sesame Street!

The translators were more talented than the writers, that's a testament to the game's quality.

Oh, the irony...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
duckroll said:
I'm going to take a stab at the Last Window impressions, since no one else seems to have bothered translating it.

Basically the retailer staffer posting about the game gives a rundown on the new features of the sequel, while talking about various interface improvements from the first game. In general the game is very similar to the original in terms of visual and audio style, and fans of the original will feel right at home. The game takes place a year after the original, and is set in 1980 in Los Angeles. The setting of the sequel is in the Cape West Apartments. The story in the sequel stands alone from the previous games, even though there might be connections that fans of the original can pick up on. Those who have not played the original will not feel particularly lost in this game.

The main character is still Kyle, and he's still a dick. It's all good though, because fans will probably not have it any other way. There are two major additions to the sequel he mentions. One is the ignore function. In the original game, progression is pretty much always made when you butt into other people's problems in conversations, etc. In the sequel, more attention will have to be paid when you decide whether you want to butt in or to ignore something, because there is a possibility of getting a game over if you butt into everything. At least, that's what I think he's saying.

As for the other major feature, there is a novel inside the game called "Last Window" as well. It is a companion piece to the game, and a chapter unlocks each time you clear a story chapter. The novel will touch in various sub-scenarios which flesh out the events of the game outside of Kyle's immediate adventure, and involves the overall setting in the game and the other characters. Apparently the contents of the novel (which I assume is actually being 'written' as you play the game) is influenced by your choices in the game itself, so there is replay value in trying to discover all the "variations" in the novel.

Sounds good.

TreIII

Really hoping that stuff about Zangeki will surface soon. It's shot up to be the game I'm most looking forward to playing early next year.

TreIII said:
Really hoping that stuff about Zangeki will surface soon. It's shot up to be the game I'm most looking forward to playing early next year.

Since it comes out in about 4 months, we'll probably see some stuff next month.

Fady K

Kuran said:
What could be your problem with Hotel Dusk? I hope the sequel lives up to it.

Seriously. I loved the first one so much that if the sequel is almost as good, i'll be very happy. One of the best adventure games i played in recent times - excellent presentation too! I just hope Nintendo doesn't skip localization. Cing OWNS. With this and Again coming out on DS, my portable adventure gaming is going to rock early next year :)

duckroll

The Reginleiv report is up. Here's a summary:

- Two playable characters: Freyr and Freyja. They're siblings in the game, which is based on Norse mythology and Ragnarok.

- Freyr uses melee weapons like swords, spears, hammers, etc. Freyja uses range weapons like bows and magic. The 300+ wepaons available in the game are separated between the two characters. It's totally like EDF2.

- You are allowed to bring 3 weapons into each mission. When you defeat enemies, you gain mana. You use mana to "create" new weapons using alchemy. I suppose it's easier to just think of mana as currency, and new weapons as stuff you development along weapon trees available for each character.

- There are NPCs in various missions, like villagers running for safety, or other soldiers fighting alongside you. Similar to how it was in EDF2 and EDF3 I suppose.

- The game is normally running at 30fps, but like all Sandlot games, the framerate is "variable" (lol). It can climb up to 60fps, or dip to below 20fps. Apparently the game is programmed to take these framerate drops into account so it won't hinder the actual controls in the game, but... lol anyway. EDF!!!!!!!

- There are 5 difficulty settings for each mission, like in EDF. Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard and Inferno.

- For range weapons, Freyja uses homing and lock-on to fire her arrows. From what he says, it sounds like how ZoE and Panzer Dragoon handles it. A bow at lvl1 can apparently lock on to 4-6 targets at once, but the number increases with higher level weapons. When you use magic, it consumes MP, which you regenerate by defeating enemies. Not sure if MP is the same as Mana.

I just beat EDF2017 this weekend with a friend on normal...

We loved it. We're gonna do Easy this coming weekend, hopefully.

Oh, and to keep it relevant: since I played and loved EDF2017, this game having a lot of similarities makes my pants tight.

Somnid

I think Motion+ will make it more likely for NOA to pick up. They really seem to be pushing it whereas NCL seems to be backpedaling with the CC Pro.

There's likely going to be those random drops that add to the player's maximum health. Really the EDF games are more akin to a fully 3D arena shooter than anything remotely RPG.

TreIII

Oh YES. The more I hear, the more I'm "I NEED DIS SHIT NOW!" :lol

I'll admit, I was skeptical when I was reading all that stuff about EDF2 in that thread, many moons ago. But I glad that I gave into GAF hype, and got that game. Still go back to EDF2 for some good times.

That said, I'm liking the sounds of this. Will pre-order as soon as Play-asia allows me to! :D

I wonder if either character will be able to fly. The jetpack is a huge part of EDF 2, and its omission is one of the most disappointing things about EDF 3.

Sandlot has been following Insomniac's recent framerate advice for years. Those slideshows are a reward for destroying three city blocks with one shot from an M30 Plasma Launcher.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
- The game is normally running at 30fps, but like all Sandlot games, the framerate is "variable" (lol). It can climb up to 60fps, or dip to below 20fps. Apparently the game is programmed to take these framerate drops into account so it won't hinder the actual controls in the game, but... lol anyway. EDF!!!!!!!
Looks like somebody took Insomniac to heart :lol

jay

Mega Mike said:
I am honestly more excited for Reginleiv than Other M and SMG2.

Its about time we saw a new IP.

This game will be awesome, but if it's the sort of thing that gets people excited about "new IP" then I have to wonder. It's a variant of EDF; the plot, characters, and other IP related stuff is irrelevant.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wait what? HD2? Awesome, I though they were working on that cop game with the crappy art, this is waaay better! :D

What is EDF? - Is that the Jaleco shooter for the SNES - Earth Defense Force http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Defense_Force

so Reggie in Liev is like a shooter with swords (lords of thunder/sin n punishment) and its made by those kids from that baseball movie?

Anyhoo, its a better trade off than us getting both project HAMMERED or Disaster day of crisis. Those were so forced, americany and generic
still wouldnt mind NOA localizing them
. REGINLEIV is looking promising, i see it as Nintendo's version of a MMORPG. looking forward to WM+ implementation. This could be HUGE in japan. Great German-sounding title.

HD2 - i hope we see more kyle hyde - louis denonno buddy buddy moments. Hope for more scares, laughs and more jazzy tunes

neo2046

duckroll said:
The Reginleiv report is up. Here's a summary:

- Two playable characters: Freyr and Freyja. They're siblings in the game, which is based on Norse mythology and Ragnarok.

- Freyr uses melee weapons like swords, spears, hammers, etc. Freyja uses range weapons like bows and magic. The 300+ wepaons available in the game are separated between the two characters. It's totally like EDF2.

- You are allowed to bring 3 weapons into each mission. When you defeat enemies, you gain mana. You use mana to "create" new weapons using alchemy. I suppose it's easier to just think of mana as currency, and new weapons as stuff you development along weapon trees available for each character.

- There are NPCs in various missions, like villagers running for safety, or other soldiers fighting alongside you. Similar to how it was in EDF2 and EDF3 I suppose.

- There are 5 difficulty settings for each mission, like in EDF. Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard and Inferno.

- For range weapons, Freyja uses homing and lock-on to fire her arrows. From what he says, it sounds like how ZoE and Panzer Dragoon handles it. A bow at lvl1 can apparently lock on to 4-6 targets at once, but the number increases with higher level weapons. When you use magic, it consumes MP, which you regenerate by defeating enemies. Not sure if MP is the same as Mana.

- the game will have luxury VC (voice casting)
- CERO:D due to the violent and bloody zone (eg. enemies' body part been slashed off)
- Tree diagram to show the path of the weapon customization
- unknown specifec guage for the weapons (maybe to count the durability)
- you group your team at the lobby like PSO
- name & HP meter will be shown above the head of the character
- characters can have simple variety customization
- small communication is available likely (fixed form sentence chat only though)
- you cab replay the stage with different difficulty after you passed the stage
- the atmosphere is like "Lord of the Rings" battle zone

botticus

neo2046 said:
- small communication is available likely (fixed form sentence chat only though)
So I guess we'll be waiting on the next internally developed online Nintendo game to use Wii Speak again?

gogojira

I wonder if this one will actually got localized or if NoA will pass on it like it does with other games. My confidence level isn't very high.

TunaLover said:
Any chance they improve the art direction in this one?

There's been about 10 seconds of footage and something like 4 screens of this game released and you're judging the art direction on that?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gogojira said:
I wonder if this one will actually got localized or if NoA will pass on it like it does with other games. My confidence level isn't very high.

The only way I see this being localized is if Iwata tells Reggie to localize it, i.e Nintendo Japan is supporting the title. So, no way.

duckroll

Cosmonaut X said:
There's been about 10 seconds of footage and something like 4 screens of this game released and you're judging the art direction on that?

I think he means that Sandlot games generally don't really have great art direction or design. They just focus on destructible environments and huge monsters. I doubt this will be any different honestly.

duckroll said:
I think he means that Sandlot games generally don't really have great art direction or design. They just focus on destructible environments and huge monsters. I doubt this will be any different honestly.

Ah, perhaps I misread. Fair point, I suppose.

TunaLover

Cosmonaut X said:
I mean compared to previous Sandlot games.

EDIT: the duck beat me =P

hitsugi

hotel dusk had me sucked in so badly that it was invading my dreams at one point D: I've been waiting for this for a long time

farnham

Banned
saw some scans of it.. (dunno if im allowed to link... dont look like magazine scans)

it looks pretty much the same from the highlight reel we had back in 2008...

the characters (male and female) will have an array of weapons including hammers, spears, bow and arrow, staves and a big ass sword..

graphically it looks really great and it does support the motion plus it seems

Magypsy23

Banned
farnham said:
saw some scans of it.. (dunno if im allowed to link... dont look like magazine scans

Saw them too, as well as the Last Window scans. They don't look like magazine scans but I wouldn't risk it. :lol

Top Bottom