• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo apparently filed a Koopa (Bowser) trademark

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/05/nintendo-have-filed-a-trademark-for-a-bowser-spin-off-game/

Link title is misleading, but the gist is that apparently Nintendo filed "Koopa" as a trademark.

I do hope this comes into fruition. As much as I love Bowser's Inside Story, it's high time Bowser gets his own, focused game.

EDIT:

Rösti;235833544 said:
On February 24, 2017, they also in Japan file trademark applications for:
  • SUPER MARIO BROS.\スーパーマリオブラザーズ
  • LUIGI\ルイージ
  • DONKEY KONG\ドンキーコング
  • YOSHI\ヨッシー
KOOPA\クッパ is however the only trademark application of these to be filed under goods and services related to software for home video game machines.

The application number for the Koopa application is "2017-23147". You can search for it here: https://www2.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/s...&1494002630142

Shiggy

Wouldn't they trademark more than just "Bowser" if this was about a new Bowser-focussed game? Sounds to be pretty much nothing.

Boss Doggie

Wouldn't they trademark more than just "Bowser" if this was about a new Bowser-focussed game? Sounds to be pretty much nothing.

Didn't something happen with Pokken? It's just Pokken?

though "Bowser" would be a hilarious title.

Icon also leaked
QTaslvk.jpg

The final name of the game is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

From the other thread.

marmoka

Banned
It's probably a comedy cartoon show, about a turtle king that tries to kidnap the princess of a kingdom nearby, but his plans always fail.

I hope this happens to be a thing someday.

LordKasual

Banned
They should do a beat-em-up game starring Bowser

Bowser's Smash 4 redesign actually feels damn satisfying to play

Boss Doggie

Is Pokken a character? It's a game title.

hence why my second sentence

Has there ever been a game starring Bowser?

Bowser's Inside Story is the closest he has to be a titular character and even then he had to share it with the plumbers.

With their various advertising of Bowser solo I do wonder if the market is now open to a big but nerdy single father with a big, lovable chin.

RomanceDawn

Yeah I read this earlier and it didn't necessarily scream Bowser is getting his own game. But boy would I absolutely love it! I love the design of all the Koopas in general and would love a game revolving around Bowser destroying anything and everything.

One day I'll have my dream Ridley game too.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On February 24, 2017, they also in Japan filed trademark applications for:

• LUIGI\ルイージ
  • DONKEY KONG\ドンキーコング
  • YOSHI\ヨッシー
KOOPA\クッパ is however the only trademark application of these to be filed under goods and services related to software for home video game machines.

The application number for the Koopa application is "2017-23147". You can search for it here: https://www2.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_AREA_A.cgi?0&1494002630142

PSFan

I would have thought they had a trademark already. They have had Koopa in every Super Mario game since the NES.

so1337

Bowser's Inside Job where you get to plan a heist on Toadstool Castle, recruit and assign suitable Koopalings and kidnap the princess.

Boss Doggie

Rösti;235833544 said:
  • LUIGI\ルイージ
  • DONKEY KONG\ドンキーコング
  • YOSHI\ヨッシー

The application number for the Koopa application is "2017-23147". You can search for it here: https://www2.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/s...&1494002630142

this is good yes? increases the chance of a Bowser game?

Just going to lie to myself it's a bowser game about managing the family life and his adventures with mario.

Basically a persona game.

Rösti;235833544 said:

• LUIGI\ルイージ
  • DONKEY KONG\ドンキーコング
  • YOSHI\ヨッシー

The application number for the Koopa application is "2017-23147". You can search for it here: https://www2.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_AREA_A.cgi?0&1494002630142

You can always count on Rösti, I'm pretty excited for whatever this could lead to!

maxcriden

I was disappointed when I accidentally skipped ahead in the E3 Digital Event a couple years ago and saw a Bowser game and when I got back to that part of the presentation it turned out to be a Skylanders segment. So I'd be very psyched for this.

this is good yes? increases the chance of a Bowser game?

Eh, I'm not a trademark expert but I don't believe that's how it works. The trademark would be the full name of the game, or something very similar, in order for them to have protection regarding that trademark. Just trademarking Koopa sounds more like it could be used for a product or product variation (AKA Amiibo) named Koopa.

This appears to be a Japanese trademark, which I'm even more unfamiliar with, but if those work at all like US trademarks I believe the above is how it works.

Also there's no guarantee they will be using this trademark for anything. See Eternal Darkness for reference.

Rösti;235833544 said:

• LUIGI\ルイージ
  • DONKEY KONG\ドンキーコング
  • YOSHI\ヨッシー

Holy shit Bowser might actually get his own game.

Lijik

i thought bowsers moveset in skylanders would be a fun base for his own action game. summoning koopas to kick their shells at faraway dudes was satisfying

TreIII

Yea. When did they change that anyway?

Around the same time as everything else did in the mid-90's. King Koopa and everything else pertaining to the DiC cartoon + Valiant comics fell by the wayside as Nintendo introduced new products that confirmed Mario's villain's name as "Bowser".

Likewise, you didn't see "Princess Toadstool" mentioned much after Peach officially was introduced as her name in Mario 64.

In any case...obviously, my bias towards the Big Guy should be apparent. I hope he gets his own game (and that Junior and the Koopalings play parts, as well).

Top Bottom