• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo asks what's next for the next innovation from Nintendo, I think the Nintendo Switch is the innovation to last for years.

Derktron

Banned
Nintendo President recently said that they are looking for new ways to innovate, as they always do, but I think they should not continue to innovate because the Nintendo Switch is what makes them special. Where it's unique in its own way, I think they should keep the Switch lineup how they kept the Nintendo DS lineup for 16 years then added the 3DS to the lineup, I hope Nintendo continues to do that with the Switch. For them to change and add something new and I'm not saying it's bad. Innovation is good and what makes things not boring.

For me, I hope they don't change the Nintendo Switch into something totally new, and maybe add to it as they did with the Nintendo DS to 3DS lineup. I want them to continue to innovate but not kill off the Switch just yet and just do what everyone in the gaming world has asked them to do, make a console that's capable of playing all games, now you might ask what the hell, I thought you said that you don't want them to kill off the Switch. Well yes, I did but the way mobile gaming has progressed and will continue to progress over the years, I think we might be able to play the "next game" on a mobile device like the Nintendo Switch. I mean it's already sort of possible even though the tech is brand new and wouldn't really work in real-world gaming. I'll show you an example.

I can definitely see this being the future for gaming to some extent where some games wouldn't require so much horsepower but the fact that mobile gaming has gone that far and will continue to do so. I can see Nintendo taking the hands of mobile gaming and making it better with the partner they have with Nvidia (If it lasts and they go back with AMD for whatever they make next). Overall all I'm saying is the Nintendo Switch is what makes Nintendo who they are. I hope they don't change that. I want them to continue to innovate but not ruin something they have right now that works for them and that's the Nintendo Switch.
Anyways what are your thoughts, do you want Nintendo to change what they have with the Nintendo Switch or should they add something new to the Nintendo Switch?

Same thing could be said about past systems they've had. That's the whole point of admiring innovation; it will be different than what you've had before - as that is the entire point.

Switch could stick around in my opinion as their handheld line, or Switch Pro. Keeps the handheld scene alive, but can also dock to a TV easily.

I'm totally fine with them trying something 100% new whenever they want. That's why I like them.

Derktron

Banned
I hope they innovate themselves into a new hardware SKU with 4K and unbroken joysticks.
That's exactly why I posted that video, it's very possible to even achieve performances but the main concern here is the battery life is not good enough.

Last edited:
I have appreciated what Nintendo has done over the years to differentiate themselves from the competition and we got to play great new experiences but as of late, I would really want Nintendo to put a little more focus on the power of their device while keeping their Nintendo "innovation".
Switch is selling like hotcakes and I'm happy for them because it has some great games on it but one of the selling points of the Switch is to be able to play games on the go and that reality just doesn't apply to me: I drive everywhere I go and when I go somewhere I usually don't play videogames. I mean I have used my Switch when I wasn't at home a few times and it was great but I can count on one hand the amount of times I did that so it's not worth it for me. Because of the portable nature of the system we probably have less powerful device than it could have been were it designed for TV only without having to worry about battery life.

I like the motion controls, I like the different inputs with the touch screen and all that but I also don't want games to look like shit somehow. I'm always going to be gameplay > graphics but after watching yesterday's direct and comparing Switch games to Demon's Souls Remake, I can't help but wonder how much more immersive Breath of the Wild could have been with PS5 power for better framerates and higher resolution. I'm excluding PC from the conversation because that's a different beast. Since I don't play games on the go and don't see the value of being able to play top AAA multiplat games anywhere else than my couch, I'm never buying multiplatform games on my switch.

TLDR: Maintain your innovation Nintendo but add some horsepower

I agree that the Switch is where Nintendo finally got everything right. I think that the general concept has a lot of legs and Nintendo doesn't really need to change much about it: release more powerful variants periodically, make it three form factors (one pure console, one handheld with TV out, one that "switches") and you're good to go. It's got the handheld market on lock down and it provides a useful outlet for AA devs who in past generations would just sort of linger on last-gen hardware for a while.

Nintendo's hardware gimmicks usually range from useless to loathsome, so I'd really like to see them stop now that they've hit on something worthwhile.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

That's exactly why I posted that video, it's very possible to even achieve performances but the main concern here is the battery life is not good enough.
Do you realize what the OneGX1 Pro price is ? Around $1500.
Very bad example, that much power comes at a cost, for that price you can 4-5 Switches.
Sure I’d like more powerful hardware but are people willing to pay the premium price?

Neil Young

They really need to get their online service to 2010 levels. It surprises me that this continues to be an area where they don't seem to give a shit. The WiiU had better services.

NahaNago

The next gen version of the switch should use a clam shell style. Close up the the handheld and insert it in the console stand. They could use the foldable screen from samsung for increased screen real estate. Foldable screens should be much more affordable by the time next gen Nintendo comes around.

On second thought I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the console just ends up looking like a phone/tablet that you could put into a handheld controller device or a console stand and you could even play cellphone games with the touchscreen. That is pretty much what the switch is right now except for the controllers on the side of the tablet when docked into the console stand. They could even make two screen size versions one that is actually mobile in the size of a regular size cellphone and the other the size of the tablet with a little more kick. I just hope that the next console is actually able to somehow make more use of the console stand to increase the graphical power of the console

Derktron

Banned
Very bad example, that much power comes at a cost, for that price you can 4-5 Switches.
Sure I’d like more powerful hardware but are people willing to pay the premium price?
Do you realize that this is an example and that later down the line when this does happen mobile technology will be progressive enough to achieve that. Pay attention and cut the assumptions.

Whats so innovative about the switch lol, its just handheld with tv out. Next system will a long time away, they are kind of stuck as the nivida are not going give them a good deal on there next soc.and they don't want to change to amd as they won't have bc, right now they playing the long game, see what comes up in few yaers time.

cdthree

A base controller with Nvidia hardware that you plug your phone into. The base controller has the hard drive, os and game slot, and wireless controller. Every new phone hardware increases the base gaming power of the Nvidia/Nintendo game controller. Encryption so you can download Android play store and Apple store games and Nintendo can demand a cut from Apple and Google.

_Ex_

Anyways what are your thoughts, do you want Nintendo to change what they have with the Nintendo Switch or should they add something new to the Nintendo Switch?

There is nothing innovative about the Switch. It's a Vita clone that can also play on your TV. Hmm, a handheld that can play on your TV? We saw Sony do that one before too. I guess the Switch's breakaway controllers were innovative, except they break inherently.

I want Nintendo to make a badass portable virtual reality handheld. I know they tried and failed with the Virtual Boy. Right idea, wrong time and wrong technology. We live in a different world of possibilities today. It's time for the Virtual Man.

Reallink

There is nothing innovative about the Switch. It's a Vita clone that can also play on your TV. Hmm, a handheld that can play on your TV? We saw Sony do that one before too. I guess the Switch's breakaway controllers were innovative, except they break inherently.

I want Nintendo to make a badass portable virtual reality handheld. I know they tried and failed with the Virtual Boy. Right idea, wrong time and wrong technology. We live in a different world of possibilities today. It's time for the Virtual Man.
To their credit, Nintendo has been upfront (see arms race quote) that their "innovation" is repurposing or repackaging existing technologies and features to differentiate and excuse their inferior hardware. Facebook has already sunk more into Oculus than Nintendo's entire infamous cash war chest, they couldn't have developed Quest even if they wanted to bet their entire company on it. Nintendo probably R&D'd every single console/portable they've ever produced (combined) for less than what Facebook dumps into Oculus in a single year. Oculus investment dwarfs even PS5 and Series, you're again talking about a single year being equal to what Sony and MS spent developing this entire hardware generation. Specifically, Facebook allegedly spent around $10 billion on VR/AR R&D in 2020.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Although I sold my Switch a while back, I definitely appreciated the ability to play it on the sofa and then dock it to the TV and play with a controller. Also the ability to pull out the joy-cons and put them into the little grip thing was awesome. I never bought the Pro controller and I still enjoyed it just fine.

Only thing that got to me was the visual fidelity. End of the day it isn't a powerful device and when you put it up on a 4K (50inch) screen it simply looks blurry as hell.

As for the underlying concept I don't think they need to change it. I just want them to bring out a 4K capable device and it cannot just be upscaling because plenty of Switch games struggle to hit 30fps even at 720p. The device definitely needs to be beefed up. If they can have all games running at 720p 60fps then maybe they can work with NVIDIA to get some sort of DLSS implementation. Maybe a semi-custom with more ability to AI-upscale.

theclaw135

Banned
To their credit, Nintendo has been upfront (see arms race quote) that their "innovation" is repurposing or repackaging existing technologies and features to differentiate and excuse their inferior hardware. Facebook has already sunk more into Oculus than Nintendo's entire infamous cash war chest, they couldn't have developed Quest even if they wanted to bet their entire company on it. Nintendo probably R&D'd the entirety of every single console they've ever produced for less than what Facebook dumps into Oculus in a single year. Oculus investment dwarfs even PS5 and Series, you're again talking about a single year being equal to what Sony and MS spent developing this entire hardware generation. Specifically, Facebook allegedly spent around $10 billion on VR/AR R&D in 2020.

Investment that'll ultimately reach end users in a fraction of homes Nintendo does. For fifty years consumers have voted loud and clear they don't want to be tethered to 3D glasses or their spawn.

Last edited:

Rodolink

youre asking Nintendo stopped being Nintendo, innovation in play its what they do. But certainly Switch won't die anytime soon specially at the speed they have been developing first party content.

supernova8

Banned
Investment that'll ultimately reach end users in a fraction of homes Nintendo does. For fifty years consumers have voted loud and clear they don't want to be tethered to 3D glasses or their spawn.
Actually I think it will take a company like Apple or Nintendo to make VR "sexy" and interesting for the masses.

I could see a VR "pack" (not that cardboard shit - something similar to the Samsung Gear VR) that properly integrates the Switch hardware being really popular. If they made it so that it costs something like $100 (since it probably would be doing very minimal computation by itself) or $150 including something that (somehow?) tracks the joy cons accurately, they could upsell a big proportion of the Switch install base.

The problem is how many genuinely interesting games they can put out to make it worthwhile.

Fredrik

Although I sold my Switch a while back, I definitely appreciated the ability to play it on the sofa and then dock it to the TV and play with a controller. Also the ability to pull out the joy-cons and put them into the little grip thing was awesome. I never bought the Pro controller and I still enjoyed it just fine.

Only thing that got to me was the visual fidelity. End of the day it isn't a powerful device and when you put it up on a 4K (50inch) screen it simply looks blurry as hell.

As for the underlying concept I don't think they need to change it. I just want them to bring out a 4K capable device and it cannot just be upscaling because plenty of Switch games struggle to hit 30fps even at 720p. The device definitely needs to be beefed up. If they can have all games running at 720p 60fps then maybe they can work with NVIDIA to get some sort of DLSS implementation. Maybe a semi-custom with more ability to AI-upscale.
Yeah it was alright for a few years but right now it feels like I have a 3DS with video out compared to other systems, they really need to do something hardwarewise, even the best looking games look old now.
I honestly want Metroid Prime 4 on a stationary super powerful console but I know they’ll never do that and that gets me sad, I have to hope it can run on emulators and be improved that way instead.

MistBreeze

I really like the switch it is an amazing system

breath of the wild

mario odyssey are the best original switch games period

but after that no first party original switch games of this calibur

yeah pokemon, luigi mansion and animal crossing are great games but they are not mario odyssey or zelda in production value metrics

most its games are ports and nintindo first party output is slow and lazy for the most part

where is bayonetta 3 ??? or breath of the wild 2 or metroid 4 ??

yes we keep getting wii u ports most of the time

bowser fury should have been a complete mario game

not a mario 3d world 3 hours dlc add on

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I’m cool with them innovating on a game by game basis, such as donkey Kong jungle beat, Ring Fit Adventure, etc. just please don’t mess up a whole console with a gimmick

Last edited:
Look at what Apple as achieved with MacBook Air M1 and be ashamed, Nintendo. The M1 comes with a full HD screen, ultra powerful (like a desktop iCore 7) and more than 15 hours of battery (hear that, more than 15 hours and Retina screen!!!!!!!!), passive cooling mobile chip (not a sound, never hot) and it sells like hot cakes. Here's what next for portable gaming or just die, Nintendo.

One more thing, Nvidia just bought ARM. Where's the M1 like Switch with full power, full HD screen and 15 hours of battery? It's not like it's 2021.... There won't be innovation without power. Just take a look at Witcher 3 on the Switch, Nintendo! oh and games with "art" have the same tech issues.

Last edited:
Look at what Apple as achieved with MacBook Air M1 and be ashamed, Nintendo. The M1 comes with a full HD screen, ultra powerful (like a desktop iCore 7) and more than 15 hours of battery (hear that, more than 15 hours and Retina screen!!!!!!!!), passive cooling mobile chip (not a sound, never hot) and it sells like hot cakes. Here's what next for portable gaming or just die, Nintendo.
Call me when the Macbook Air M1 costs 300 bucks.

The Mac mini has no screen or keyboard or anything. Try again.
And? It does not change the fact that it is, like every Apple products, overprice. And price means very little, just take a look at how Microsoft ARM hardwares are priced versus the entry MacBookAir (more expensive for less than half the performances of M1). ;-)

Try something else to justify Nintendo mediocrity. It does not need to be as powerful as M1 but it needs to be in the same range. There is no reason not to go with that route. And there is no reason not to upgrade the tech every 2 or 3 years. Nintendo is really retarded (but there are not the only one).

Last edited:
Price means everything when talking about a console product. There is no comparable product on the market for 300 bucks. The next best thing (that Windows handheld) is 700 bucks or so.
No, it does not anymore (except for very very high end hardwares but it's not the target and M1 comes close).

Last edited:

Daymos

Well since square/enix seems to want to port their entire ps1 and ps2 library to switch, I'm fine with that. There's no place in my life for a 3rd 4k gaming console.. a handheld that plays classic JRPGs is what I need.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The fact for Nintendo is this, they can drop a next gen powerhouse console anytime they want to. The Switch’s controls draws so much attention and one thing about Nintendo is they have been #1 since introducing gimmicks.

kyussman

Nintendo is part of the tech industry...and that shit does not stand still for long does it.
I expect you will get a more powerful Switch...and then on to the next thing.

Nintendo is in their own ballpark when it comes to what they do. People gobble up their hardware like they are Apple and fan out over their ip like they are Disney. Sure they have had flops, but those flops and rebounds are a point of their resilience as a brand, not a fault in their armor. The people asking for them to be more like the PS and Xbox have lost the plot on what makes Nintendo who they are or why people buy their products in the first place, cry about it all you want. They have been successful by deviating from the console wars and establishing themselves as a place to be for fun regardless of whether you play on pc, Xbox or Playstation.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Do you realize that this is an example and that later down the line when this does happen mobile technology will be progressive enough to achieve that. Pay attention and cut the assumptions.
Yeah but a very bad example.
How long are you willing wait for tech like this to be affordable because it takes years ?
Nintendo already probably has the next version of the Switch already figured out so a moot point, it takes years of R and D ....Pat attention and cut the assumptions.... :pie_eyeroll:

I think the format is perfect for Nintendo. They've always excelled in the handheld space and they always do better when they focus on gameplay experience over horsepower.

They should really stick to this format.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Just bump up the hardware specs Nintendo. Nothing else is necessary.

Last edited:
What was the initial launch price for the switch 249 or 299? I would have more for a more capable machine...or would for their next console

devilNprada

Nintendo is in their own ballpark when it comes to what they do. People gobble up their hardware like they are Apple and fan out over their ip like they are Disney. Sure they have had flops, but those flops and rebounds are a point of their resilience as a brand, not a fault in their armor. The people asking for them to be more like the PS and Xbox have lost the plot on what makes Nintendo who they are or why people buy their products in the first place, cry about it all you want. They have been successful by deviating from the console wars and establishing themselves as a place to be for fun regardless of whether you play on pc, Xbox or Playstation.

Nintendo sticks to the traditional video game market of Kids and parents.. (notice: Apple and Disney are a must have for kids too)

That's not to say adults don't love and purchase their games too, it's just that who the F is going to buy their kids TLOU2.

Top Bottom