• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company

07:59 25Sep2007 RTRS-Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company

TOKYO, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd <7974.OS> roared past Canon Inc <7751.T> to become Japan's second most valuable company behind Toyota Motor Corp <7203.T>, driven by its hot-selling Wii game console and DS handheld player.
Nintendo's Wii has so far outsold Sony's <6758.T> PlayStation 3 by a large margin since their launches late last year as Nintendo's strategy to expand the gaming population by offering easy-to-play but innovative games has proved a big success. Shares in Nintendo were up 2.6 percent at 58,900 yen in afternoon trade on Tuesday, bringing its market value to 8.34 trillion yen ($72.6 billion), surpassing Canon's market capitalisation of 8.20 trillion yen.
It, however, is still just one-third of Toyota's 24 trillion yen. Toyota is the world's most profitable and valuable automaker.
Nintendo shares have more than quadrupled over the past two years, initially boosted by strong demand for the DS, then by brisk sales of the Wii. ((Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka, editing by Mike Miller; Reuters Messaging: kiyoshi.takenaka.reuters.com@reuters.net; +81-3-3432-8837; kiyoshi.takenaka@reuters.com))
($1=114.88 Yen) Keywords: NINTENDO/MARKET VALUE

For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[E] [J] [PSC] [JP] [ASIA] [REC] [ENT] [DPR] [AUT] [APL] [HOT] [NEWS] [LEN] [RTRS] [7974.OS] [7751.T] [7203.T] [6758.T]

For Relevant Price Information, Double Click on one of these codes:
<7974.OS> <7751.T> <7203.T> <6758.T>
Tuesday, 25 September 2007 07:59:53RTRS [nT14828] {EN}ENDS

Just saw it on my Reuters terminal. Wow.

Great. Now open some more damn studios already. Enough for 2 quality games each month of the year (establish more Euro/NA presence please).

What.

Eteric Rice

Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

Fuckin' A, it's a game company.

... so what else are they going to diversify into?

Whelp, they're already turning the DS into a learning tool, and a tool used to tour museums.

God only knows how far they'll take it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Eteric Rice said:
Whelp, they're already turning the DS into a learning tool, and a tool used to tour museums.

I think the coolest thing is how you can use it to order concessions from your seat at ballgames.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Eteric Rice said:

If they stick to the theme of attractive interactive applications... I hope they take this new found wealth and create two platforms for next gen. One to compete in the high end and the low end.

Fuck it buy out Sony, and make that the high end side.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

And #1 is a car company. What's your point? While diversity is a good risk-reducer, you don't need it to be king of the hill. Microsoft's value pretty much sits on two products, for example.

Bo130

Wow, we saw this in July. Most of the higher up names must have taken a hit,

1. Toyota (¥27,300,000,000,000)
2. Mitsubishi (¥14,200,000,000,000)
3. Mizuho FG (¥9,800,000,000,000)
4. Canon (¥9,600,000,000,000)
5. Mitsui Sumitomo FG (¥8,700,000,000,000)
6. NTT (¥8,500,000,000,000)
7. Honda (¥8,350,000,000,000)
8. NTT DoCoMo (¥8,300,000,000,000)
9. Nintendo (¥7,500,000,000,000)
10. Takeda Pharma (¥7,200,000,000,000)

Davidion

Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

So far...education, interactive retail tool, museum guide, exercise, physical rehabilitation...

You know, for starters...

Eteric Rice said:
Still keeping the faith I see.

I think he's right. Nintendo is powerful, not invincible. Who knew last gen that Sony would stumble so hard?

Sony not even in top 10? Wow, I thought they would be since they also make TV's, MP3 players, CD players, MOVIES, misc. electronics, and more. Instead they get creamed by the lil' game company that could. Nintendo.

Deku

Banned
Interesting cyclicality to this all. During the late 80s, Nintendo and Toyota were also the top companies in Japan.

Eteric Rice

Davidion said:
So far...education, interactive retail tool, museum guide, exercise, physical rehabilitation...

You know, for starters...

I think he's right. Nintendo is powerful, not invincible. Who knew last gen that Sony would stumble so hard?

The goverment is probably using them to print their currency now, too. Don't forget that!

mCACGj

Yeah, I hope they invest some of that money into making their next console substantially more powerful, preferably equal to the competition.

I want next-gen Zelda in next-gen graphics...

I don't see it happening though.

:lol
at all the Wii haters who said noo way this will get big!
I told you guys after I first played wii at E3 2006 you wait and see wii will put the big N at place nr 1!

and now this Nintendo 2nd most valued company in japan! WOW

I agree we need a wii that can handle next gen graphics STAT!
make it happen !

Me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nostradamus

mCACGj said:
Yeah, I hope they invest some of that money into making their next console substantially more powerful, preferably equal to the competition.

I want next-gen Zelda in next-gen graphics...

I don't see it happening though.
Yeah, I honestly can't see them switching out the plan that's making them metric shit-tons of cash for the old plan that threw them in third place.

Jiggy

Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

They had that Animal Crossing movie. Speaking of movies, Pokemon has loads of movies, a long-running anime, toys, a card game, a figure game, plastic watches, and probably thousands of other types of paraphernalia, so you might say they've already diversified.

Now they just need to bring back Mario soda.

Lightning said:
Do we know where Sony is?

This is good for Nintendo...
Sony was #10 and was passed up a long, long, long time ago. Nintendo is now way bigger than Sony as a company (Nintendo buyout of Sony in 3...2...)

Andy787 said:
Awesome!!! Nintendo is so valuable!!!
Well, it's actual news, and I know I found it interesting. It's perfectly viable to not care about industry financials, but I can't imagine why you'd bother clicking into a thread about financials if that's the case, let alone posting in the thread. Unless you're just here to fling poo at eteric rice, in which case, you have my full support.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
remember when japan was a world-class economic power and a center of technological innovation

now their second most valuable company is a producer of cut-rate hardware and software bearing some distant resemblance to video games

sad to see

ethelred

drohne said:
remember when japan was a world-class economic power and a center of technological innovation

now their second most valuable company is a producer of cut-rate hardware and software bearing some distant resemblance to video games

sad to see

I'm pretty sure they lost their motivation to keep trying when Russia got admitted to the G7 despite being an economic wasteland.

Andy787 said:
Awesome!!! Nintendo is so valuable!!!

Jut a few more usual suspects to go and we're all here
nintendo_panties_yes.jpg

Dolphin said:
I hope we see some of the fruits of these profits. Meaning more games.

They'll probably just bank it though.
I haven't played Accountant Training, but I wouldn't think their stock price would really affect their money intake unless they started selling off more of the company.

drohne said:

sad to see
oh drohne :lol

JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't played Accountant Training, but I wouldn't think their stock price would really affect their money intake unless they started selling off more of the company.

Oh-Ho!!
Retro sell out......Imminent!!!

Maybe this was the September Surprise. Vote for which studio Nintendo sells off??

Top Bottom