• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo boss Bowser on Switch Lite sales, 3DS support, and tiny retro consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I had the chance to talk to Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser about the Switch Lite’s early success, the future of the 3DS, and much more. Here are the most interesting tidbits.

On the Switch Lite expanding the audience for the platform

“It’s not only raised the sell-through for the overall family, but importantly it did so without any negative impact on our flagship system,” Bowser says of Switch Lite sales. “Said another way, Nintendo Switch Lite sales have been additive to the overall Switch business.”

Meanwhile, during Nintendo’s most recent earnings report, the company revealed that 43 percent of Switch Lite owners were buying the device as a second system. That’s an important part of Nintendo’s stated goal of having multiple Switches in family homes, but Bowser also looks at it from a different perspective.

“I’ll talk to the inverse, which is 57 percent of the consumers are new to the Nintendo Switch family, and that’s equally important to us as we continue to expand the audience,” he says. “One of the important trends we’re also seeing with Nintendo Switch Lite is a higher percent of female consumers are buying a Nintendo Switch Lite, which is a strong indicator of the appeal to a broader audience.”

On the future of the Nintendo 3DS

“We continue to look at the 3DS family, both hardware and games, as a strong entry point for some consumers. And we’re seeing that. As long as consumer demand is there, we’ll continue to provide both hardware and software on that front.” When asked when it will be appropriate to say the 3DS is dead as a platform, Bowser says “We’re certainly not going to say it today. I think time will tell. We will continue to support 3DS this holiday and into 2020.”

On the difficulties of sharing Nintendo accounts across multiple Switch units

“There’s nothing to talk about at this point,” Bowser says of plans to make the process easier. “There is the ability to transfer data and to designate which is your primary device and which is a secondary device, and those instructions are available on nintendo.com. But we’re also looking at the experiences our consumers are having, and we’re always looking for opportunities to improve and enhance those experiences.”

On how the company dealt with the plague of “Joy-Con drift

“Our goal is always, always to create quality products, and products that ensure gamers are having a great experience,” Bowser says. “We are continuously looking at ways to improve our products as we go forward, but in the end we want consumers to have a great experience. And if in any case they’re not having that experience, we encourage them to contact our customer support groups and we’ll do our best to help them through that. That has been how we’ve been handling our consumers over the last few months as issues like this have arisen, and we believe that consumers are finding their way back to great gameplay experiences.”

On whether we’ll ever see another tiny plug-and-play retro console

“Our focus right now is absolutely on our dedicated platforms such as Nintendo Switch Lite and our flagship Nintendo Switch,” Bowser explains. “I think with the gameplay experiences you saw with some of our classic consoles that we launched a few years ago, they’re now available on Nintendo Switch Online, and this is where our focus will be.”

Drift Joy Con issue.

All i saw from his PR Message was "Experience". Just apologise and say that we will try and improve the products and ask a Rep to assist.

Talking about quality when you have this issue is kind of insulting.

Overall talks pretty well but of course some of it was pure PR Bull.

Last edited:

NeilH1982

Banned
On the future of the Nintendo 3DS

“We continue to look at the 3DS family, both hardware and games, as a strong entry point for some consumers. And we’re seeing that. As long as consumer demand is there, we’ll continue to provide both hardware and software on that front.” When asked when it will be appropriate to say the 3DS is dead as a platform, Bowser says “We’re certainly not going to say it today. I think time will tell. We will continue to support 3DS this holiday and into 2020.”

Motherfucking liar, you barely supported it in 2019. New software my ass. Your last game on the system killed a long-running dev studio because the audience is no longer there.. Just come out and say it, the platform is dead, that's ok. The 3ds had a good run but there is absolutely nothing left in the tank.

mcjmetroid

I mean look it guys I'm sure this guy is a nice fella but Nintendo of America haven't a clue about the inner workings of Nintendo of Japan.

Remember Reggie said the Switch wouldn't have friend codes?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
On how the company dealt with the plague of “Joy-Con drift

“Our goal is always, always to create quality products, and products that ensure gamers are having a great experience,” Bowser says. “We are continuously looking at ways to improve our products as we go forward, but in the end we want consumers to have a great experience. And if in any case they’re not having that experience, we encourage them to contact our customer support groups and we’ll do our best to help them through that. That has been how we’ve been handling our consumers over the last few months as issues like this have arisen, and we believe that consumers are finding their way back to great gameplay experiences.”

Always these non-answer answers. They are like politicians, completely afraid to touch and aknowledge the actual issue.

Codes 208

Motherfucking liar, you barely supported it in 2019. New software my ass. Your last game on the system killed a long-running dev studio because the audience is no longer there.. Just come out and say it, the platform is dead, that's ok. The 3ds had a good run but there is absolutely nothing left in the tank.
What is he supposed to say? “Its dead, stop buying it.”

levyjl1988

Banned
I wish more companies were brutally honest rather than this PR talk, it would be more humanize to be like, “oh shit we fucked up, here’s this thing that we are going to roll out to affect users as its the most cost effective and effective solution out of these strategies, it’s gonna cost us a lot, it’s a learning experience for us because we don’t want to make any more fuck ups as that will cost our business money and we don’t want to deal with angry customer”. I would find this statement more human than use experience and the typical BS we are used to.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Replaced 2 faulty left joycon stick.
The dpad on my pro co troller falsly presses down imputs.
And the switch lite dpad can't do proper diagonals.

I can tell you one thing.
Nintendo has never released that much shit in the past.

On whether we’ll ever see another tiny plug-and-play retro console

“Our focus right now is absolutely on our dedicated platforms such as Nintendo Switch Lite and our flagship Nintendo Switch,” Bowser explains. “I think with the gameplay experiences you saw with some of our classic consoles that we launched a few years ago, they’re now available on Nintendo Switch Online, and this is where our focus will be.”

So... Nintendo 64 mini confirmed?

Meanwhile, during Nintendo’s most recent earnings report, the company revealed that 43 percent of Switch Lite owners were buying the device as a second system. That’s an important part of Nintendo’s stated goal of having multiple Switches in family homes, but Bowser also looks at it from a different perspective.

“I’ll talk to the inverse, which is 57 percent of the consumers are new to the Nintendo Switch family, and that’s equally important to us as we continue to expand the audience,”

Those numbers would be bigger if the Lite had no joycon drift :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The DPad on the Pro controller is the worst D-Pad after the Xbox 360 one... cannot believe Nintendo would mess up on this specific bit especially because the Joycon has no dedicated one.

Yes. This is the worst Nintendo hardware ever overall. And the standard Switch controller is the worst controller I have ever handled in my whole life of gaming. But hey it's Nintendo so they get a big mega pass by most if not all videogames medias.

I guess for casuals or kids the awful controller is now an issue as they don't care or don't have much experience to compare this to another much better gaming experience. This I witnessed first hand BTW to almost all my friends who have Switches.

Last edited:

Soltype

What game killed what studio?

Kagey K

Banned
I didn’t even come in here for the conversation, I just still have a hard time knowing the boss of Nintendo is named Bowser. It’s like he was hired on name alone.

I still can't get over the name. Clearly he was given the role over someone else due to that alone. Heck he probably beat out a minority woman.
I didn’t even come in here for the conversation, I just still have a hard time knowing the boss of Nintendo is named Bowser. It’s like he was hired on name alone.
Of course he did.
fils aimer, bowser, wont be surprise of a Waluigi next time.

Fuz

Banned
I didn't understand the title until I came in the thread. Thought was some new game called "Boss Bowser".

Nintendo should totally do that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
images

Top Bottom