• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

Amazon has had their page up for at least a day.

Are these selling out in other countries? I know it will eventually in the US just not sure if it will immediately.
Zmart in Chile confirmed they will be selling it but so far they only have it on Wishlist, not Preorder. The announcement they did on Facebook got tons of Likes and "Hurry up with Preorders" Comments (more than they usually get for game releases), so I expect it to get sold out fast.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Anyone else hoping someone produces an adapter that allows me to use these controllers with an actual NES?

I'd love to have fresh controllers to go with my eventual AVS purchase.

Justinh

Ah, thanks. Found a Mayflash.

I'd recommend on getting the rounded one that doesn't look like a box. I have the boxy one.

It works... but it registers dpad inputs as POV hat inputs and separate button presses. That can get annoying sometimes when configuring your controls.

It looks like there are different "modes" on the rounded one. Seems like the Saturn USB adapter I have where you can hold down a button and it'll switch and you can have it just do POV hat inputs. It's still annoying though, because for my Saturn one, I have to hold down the button every time I plug it in or it'll be in the button+POV hat mode.

I've never used the rounded Wii Classic Controller adapter, so I'm not sure if that's the case with that one.

Your source is...?

Logic. Since they said there will be multiple restore points per game, they're going to need a UI/system/storage to manage those restore points on top of the game. Hence it can't be the original NES hardware and it's obviously being emulated. Nintendo will also want to keep all the epilepsy-prevention measures that were put in place on the VC, so it's going to have the same rom-patching system as the VC. Basically, this will be the VC emulator running on a cheap emu box, with a refurbished Wii/Wii U home menu with a digital manual for each game. I'm also guessing there will be a proper nice-looking front-end to pick the game you want to play, which would be an absolute nightmare to actually code on NES hardware in this day and age.

How you could even suggest that this thing is running on actual NES hardware is beyond reason.

Edit: Not to mention that it would be incredibly cheaper to just get some existing mass-production off-the-shelf parts to emulate on than to actually recreate a revision of actual NES hardware for the sole purpose of this device. It just doesn't make any sense any way you look at it.

iphys

So the controller cord is 7 feet (2.13 meters) long? That's what the description on Amazon.de says at least.

Beats the 3 feet on the Classic Controller, but my original NES ones seem to be 7.5 feet, so they might have cheaped out a little. Someone needs to sell extension cables, especially for anyone using Classic Controllers.

I'd recommend on getting the rounded one that doesn't look like a box. I have the boxy one.

It works... but it registers dpad inputs as POV hat inputs and separate button presses. That can get annoying sometimes when configuring your controls.

It looks like there are different "modes" on the rounded one. Seems like the Saturn USB adapter I have where you can hold down a button and it'll switch and you can have it just do POV hat inputs. It's still annoying though, because for my Saturn one, I have to hold down the button every time I plug it in or it'll be in the button+POV hat mode.

I've never used the rounded Wii Classic Controller adapter, so I'm not sure if that's the case with that one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089O4EB0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

?

Justinh

Yeah, that's the one I have. I just plugged it back in since like... forever ago and I honestly didn't have any problems with the dpad/buttons thing. I remember it being an issue before, but it wasn't when I tested it in Shovel Knight (I thought it was this one that gave me problems), the SEGA Mega Drive collection on steam, and Dolphin. I seem to remember trying to map the dpad to dpad functions and it causing issues. Maybe that was the Saturn one, though.

I just wish it didn't do this.
PNyn4bf.jpg

It recommends on the mayflash website to use Joy2Key for button remapping, so maybe that would clear it up. I dunno I never tried. Eh, maybe you won't have issues...

Valonquar

I got pretty excited about this thing but then I realized that, for the same price as this, you could get a Rasberry Pi bundle and have an emulator running ALL the games and more. Still that case is hot & native controllers.

zigg

I got pretty excited about this thing but then I realized that, for the same price as this, you could get a Rasberry Pi bundle and have an emulator running ALL the games and more. Still that case is hot & native controllers.
What does the hardware to dump your cartridge collection containing the 30 games cost?

. . . and don't forget the $478 cost to buy those 30 cartridges if you don't already own them, lol.

This is the thing everyone chooses to ignore. "I can just download all those on my phone/in a ROM bundle/on my Pi/whatever," but none of that stuff is legal. Here you have a very cheap, very legal option, and the response given is like "Well, I was almost tempted." Maybe it's not a lost sale because there's no realistic circumstance you would've actually paid for the games legitimately, but maybe that says more about you than whether the product is a good purchase. Because compared to finding those old game carts, this is a smash-and-grab kind of deal.

Also, I've learned recently that the average person just doesn't know that Super C is the allegedly superior Contra 2. I think Nintendo needs to let Konami romhack that killer "get stuck" point out of Contra 1 and let it onto the VC and/or the NES Classics Mini version 2 (if it comes). I think they just need to remove that one upper platform where the power-up is and let the power-up float there, or at least shorten it so it's not right up against the wall (such that the player can drop down to the right even when the screen is scrolled forward a ways).

Justinh

Also, I've learned recently that the average person just doesn't know that Super C is the allegedly superior sequel to Contra 2.

Preach
(without the "allegedly")

I could see if people already had all the NES games, it might be worth it to just buy a kazzo for 20 to dump their roms, but still... if they did own all these games, I think this thing would still be attractive to them as a collector thingy.

Preach
(without the "allegedly")

I could see if people already had all the NES games, it might be worth it to just buy a kazzo for 20 to dump their roms, but still... if they did own all these games, I think this thing would still be attractive to them as a collector thingy.

Of course you had to capture my typo. lol

Why do you think it'll be more popular in the US in particular than elsewhere though?

The NES made more of a cultural impact in North America than it did in Europe. It revived the console industry in this part of the world.

Plus, North America has always been a bigger market for Nintendo than Europe.

And is Black Friday a thing in Europe? Genuine question. Nintendo is going to need to figure out a way to manufacture enough of these for pre-orders, launch week sales, AND Black Friday. It's going to be pretty difficult to keep up with demand for this in the US. I'm really not surprised it's not up for pre-order in NA yet.

I think this will be a cool little unit, but I feel that Nintendo might have missed a really cool opportunity with this. If they had added a remix mode for the games ala NES Remix on the 3DS and the Wii U it would have been absolutely awesome!

I think this will be a cool little unit, but I feel that Nintendo might have missed a really cool opportunity with this. If they had added a remix mode for the games ala NES Remix on the 3DS and the Wii U it would have been absolutely awesome!

Even better if they'd add a romhack workshop like Sega did on Steam with Mega Drive/Genesis games. Yeah, I know, Nintendo is never going to do that, but... still, I can dream 8( It'd be awesome.

tinders

The biggest missed opportunity is the inability to ever add more games to this thing.

I mean, pre-orders here in Aus are sold out. I pre-ordered just a few hours after they were available, and I'm stuck on the second shipment. This is gonna sell gangbusters.

Companies like Capcom, Konami etc are gonna want to jump on board and get a piece of the action. Can you imagine paying an extra $10-15 and getting another 20 games? This is money left on the table by Nintendo, and is so typical of them.

Just put a damn WiFi card in it, and quick subset of the eShop, and you're golden.

The biggest missed opportunity is the inability to ever add more games to this thing.

I mean, pre-orders here in Aus are sold out. I pre-ordered just a few hours after they were available, and I'm stuck on the second shipment. This is gonna sell gangbusters.

Companies like Capcom, Konami etc are gonna want to jump on board and get a piece of the action. Can you imagine paying an extra $10-15 and getting another 20 games? This is money left on the table by Nintendo, and is so typical of them.

Just put a damn WiFi card in it, and quick subset of the eShop, and you're golden.

There are already avenues for people that want to do something like that. This is selling gangbusters because it's appealing to lapsed gamers and consumers to whom the library of 30 games is a perfect slice of nostalgia. Adding things to the cost like WiFI or SD card slots are only cutting into what are probably incredible margins on this thing. What they will do instead is release an SNES Mini sometime next year and rake in even more straight cash.

There are already avenues for people that want to do something like that. This is selling gangbusters because it's appealing to lapsed gamers and consumers to whom the library of 30 games is a perfect slice of nostalgia. Adding things to the cost like WiFI or SD card slots are only cutting into what are probably incredible margins on this thing. What they will do instead is release an SNES Mini sometime next year and rake in even more straight cash.

Yep. Not to mention, they can just go the Atari Flashback or other classic system plug and play route and release a new version with more games each holiday. It certainly has worked for the manufacturer of those systems and every year I see new models at Toys R Us and elsewhere.

I suspect most people didn't have 30 games on their NES back when it was current. It makes sense not to burden people with the option of adding more games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I suspect most people didn't have 30 games on their NES back when it was current. It makes sense not to burden people with the option of adding more games.

Very true. I sure as heck did not. Rented most of them, as well as played most on the list at friends, or borrowed each other's etc..

We had to strategize when young to make sure we all had the different games so we could all play them eventually, since none of us back then could afford a vast library.

And when you had a few games... those were the same games you played for a long, long time. Now it seems games are so disposable, 'on to the next'. I started to slow down now as a result. And trying to enjoy like I did when I was younger. My backlog is screaming as a result.

Hoodbury

I might be a bit behind on this but just noticed the controller in the picture is wired it looks like. Is that true? Do many people have their tv setups for a wired controller to work anymore? I know I don't.

Looks like you can use Wii-motes though so I would assume that would be wireless?

I was excited about this a few days ago, but now I've had a chance to think it through and I'm going to just save my money for the NX. Thanks Reggie!

Shiggy

I might be a bit behind on this but just noticed the controller in the picture is wired it looks like. Is that true? Do many people have their tv setups for a wired controller to work anymore? I know I don't.

Looks like you can use Wii-motes though so I would assume that would be wireless?

I doubt you can connect your Wii Remote to this system.

Kinda surprised as the USGamer FAQ, seems to be a shorter version of the IGN one but with more speculation about the internals. Nothing new really?

0% chance

it has a controller port that is the same as the one for the Wii Nunchuk / Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro / SNES Classic Controller / 1 million Gamecube for Wii U controllers out there and that's it.

Lettuce

I hope they dont go down the route of releasing another NES MINI system in 6 months time with another selection of 30 games, as it would just be a pain in the arse to have more than 1 of these devices you have to unplug and plug in.

Hopefully there will be a way to add more games via 'NES Mini Game Pack 2' where you'll be able to add another 30 games for something like £20

Hoodbury

Kinda surprised as the USGamer FAQ, seems to be a shorter version of the IGN one but with more speculation about the internals. Nothing new really?

0% chance

it has a controller port that is the same as the one for the Wii Nunchuk / Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro / SNES Classic Controller / 1 million Gamecube for Wii U controllers out there and that's it.
Ah, guess I missread that, this new controller can plug into a wii mote to be used on a Wii or Wii-U. Dang.

So are we suppose to sit on the floor 5 feet away from our 60" tvs now or what?

I hope they dont go down the route of releasing another NES MINI system in 6 months time with another selection of 30 games, as it would just be a pain in the arse to have more than 1 of these devices you have to unplug and plug in.

Hopefully there will be a way to add more games via 'NES Mini Game Pack 2' where you'll be able to add another 30 games for something like £20

That isn't going to happen. There will only be one NES Classic Mini. Next year (when this one sells well) they will most likely release a SNES version...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Has the NoA video/ad for the system been posted yet? It's pretty cool. Brings back the "Now you're playing with power" slogan.

Dat look.
And, of course, "Now you're playing with power" is the original NES slogan. So please, don't start speculation about this being the NX slogan :p

It's probably already starting as I'm writing this post

spectator

I'm doubtful that they will in light of the "best of" line-up of games in this one. Unless they were to repeat a bunch of titles, another box with 30 games would have much less marquee value. What casual/lapsed Nintendo fan wants an "NES" without Mario or Zelda? I can definitely think of another 30 games that I would want, but that's a much smaller market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom