• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Comments On 3DS Error Screen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it seems that several 3DS owners such as Taku in another thread have been getting this error with the 3DS.

taku said:
2i7tutw.jpg

BLARGH! Does this mean I have to get it replaced? How about all my saves? How about my friend code? Damn it!
Nintendo has now commented on the issue to Eurogamer. They apparently recommend upgrading your firmware and then contacting them if that doesn't fix the issue.

Eurogamer said:
Nintendo comments on 3DS error screen
3DS News by Fred Dutton

Nintendo has acknowledged the widely-reported 3DS bug that crashes the device and recommended that anyone experiencing it makes sure they download the latest system update.

"If anyone is experiencing any problems with their Nintendo 3DS console, we recommend that in the first instance they download and install the latest system update, now available online," read a Nintendo statement handed to Eurogamer.

"If the problems still persist we recommend they contact their local Nintendo Customer Service centre to investigate the problem further."

Reports started circulating soon after launch this weekend that many 3DSes were crashing, bringing up a black screen suggesting the owner reboot the system or get in touch with customer services should the problem persist.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-28-nintendo-comments-on-3ds-error-screen

On the plus side, it's good to see them acknowledge the issue at least.

IsayFever

Still with the same error? I've had that happen to both my Wii and DSi. What's the repair cost on the a 3DS anyway?

antonz

The error seems to be most frequently seen with people paying Monkeyball. Sega obviously shitted up their product

I think I may have encountered this during an online session of SSFIV. I thought it was my opponent cutting the connection when we were about to fight (well it may have been, as I'm not sure this is the error I got.) Can't remember if it was before or after I updated either as the error just happened once, never got it again.

Everything seems fine now though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really like to hold out on releases for reasons like these. Price is quite expensive, and unluckily these kind of errors can happen.

Problem is that I don't think this is a software error, but a hardware error. I hope that this can be fixed easily. Anyone knows if this is when in 3D or 2D mode? It might have to do.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Repairs would be free up to a year (After buying or your last repair, so if your Nintendo Device breaks once ever 10 months after being fixed it is still under Warranty), most likely something like $75 once the Warranty is up.

dc89

IsayFever said:
Still with the same error? I've had that happen to both my Wii and DSi. What's the repair cost on the a 3DS anyway?

Who knows. But considering that everyone's 3DS is in warranty it's irrelevant at the moment!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
dc89 said:
Who knows. But considering that everyone's 3DS is in warranty it's irrelevant at the moment!
I am sure in a year or two the error will see that the warranty has expired and never happen again.

It's been said a few times but it's strange how this error has only appeared since the western release.

We didn't hear of anything like this for the full month of its time on market in Japan.

MNC

How often is this happening? Numbers people, we want numbers!

Fantasy Final said:
Still rocking with my launch Wii and my launch DS Phat still works.

Same and they're in good working condition. *knock on wood*

No errors here, despite playing it all day.
I think I just have good luck.
I have a launch Wii that was able to play SSBB with no problems and a launch PS2 that is still kicking.

dc89

Seeing as were discussing 3DS issues anyone offer there experience with my question:

I don't know if I have gadget OCD or what but my d pad is slightly loose in fitting to the console. It wobbles a little bit.

Also has anyone else finding the hinge is a little loose. When I open the screen and set it back (not to the stage where it clicks to that 180 posistion, just before that) it seems a little loose. If I move the cosole a little bit it wobbles.

Anyone else?

I'm not particularly worried. My launch wii still works, even after years of homebrew abuse and having the dog knock it off the edge onto the hard floor twice.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GodDuckman said:
I've been screwed over by companies forcing me to pay for a fix because I somehow voided the warranty.
Nintendo Consoles don't even have warranty seals, it is very hard to void their warranty. You tend to have to physically break the system or soak it in water to do so. Heck, they will often fix minor physical defects if something else was wrong on it. I got a broken Hinge of my Phat DS fixed due to the shoulder button not working.

Izayoi

Banned
Isn't this another of the slew of problems that only Europeans seem to have been encountering?

Dead pixels, scan lines, and this thing.

All I've heard about from North America were the (barely) wobbly hinges.

I upgraded when the update was released and just yesterday I was playing Super Monkey Ball 3D when I got the error. First time for me too. Hope that doesn't mean I got a dud. :/

itxaka

Defeatist
NintendoGal said:
I upgraded when the update was released and just yesterday I was playing Super Monkey Ball 3D when I got the error. First time for me too. Hope that doesn't mean I got a dud. :/

I read a couple of guys with the same problem during monkey ball. Maybe it overheats or something? did you noticed if it was hotter than usual?

Izayoi said:
Isn't this another of the slew of problems that only Europeans seem to have been encountering?

Dead pixels, scan lines, and this thing.

All I've heard about from North America were the (barely) wobbly hinges.
I have no problems with my European 3DS. I had a 4 hour Ghost Recon session yesterday without any problems.

phinious

Ghost Recon just gave me the black screen error message. The system is up to date=( I was doing so well on my mission too!

This game is awesome so far btw. Home my system either lasts forever, or dies soon so I can get a new one that doesnt crash.

phinious said:
Ghost Recon just gave me the black screen error message. The system is up to date=( I was doing so well on my mission too!

This game is awesome so far btw. Home my system either lasts forever, or dies soon so I can get a new one that doesnt crash.

I just got the same error with Ghost Recon as well. However, it didn't happen for the first 6 games (and 9 hours of playtime) before. I think it's software related. I'm not going into panic mode for now.

Deku

Banned
First thing I did was to take my 3DS online and patch it, since I knew there was one waiting.

No problems so far.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Igor Antunov said:
Chrono Trigger DS did :(

I have to order it online for a disgusting price premium now.
Yeah you're thinking of the wrong thing. CT DS is cheap as hell.

Now, Dragon Quest V on the other hand...

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Play them later at a lower price. Win, win imo.

This is why I wait until systems are under $50 and games under $5 to play them. Just picked up a PS2 and holy crap, the graphics in Gran Turismo 4 are amazing!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dc89 said:
Seeing as were discussing 3DS issues anyone offer there experience with my question:

I don't know if I have gadget OCD or what but my d pad is slightly loose in fitting to the console. It wobbles a little bit.

Also has anyone else finding the hinge is a little loose. When I open the screen and set it back (not to the stage where it clicks to that 180 posistion, just before that) it seems a little loose. If I move the cosole a little bit it wobbles.

Anyone else?
1) it's normal, didn't you own a DS Lite before?
2) that's how it is, probably done on purpose to fix the problems DS Lite's rigid hinge had (breaking).

Machine

I had it happen while playing Ghost Recon today. After I restarted, I shut off wifi and replayed the mission without problem.

AceBandage said:
No errors here, despite playing it all day.
I think I just have good luck.
I have a launch Wii that was able to play SSBB with no problems and a launch PS2 that is still kicking.

Why would this matter? I have a launch Wii that's always played SSBB perfectly.

Top Bottom