• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Comments on Nintendo Switch OLED Model Burn-In Concerns

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Nintendo's statement, it acknowledges the problem inherent to having an OLED screen, but believes that there are various preventative measures that owners can take in addition to simply not leaving a single static image on the screen themselves.

"We've designed the OLED screen to aim for longevity as much as possible, but OLED displays can experience image retention if subjected to static visuals over a long period of time," a Nintendo statement given to CNET when asked about the issue reads. "However, users can take preventative measures to preserve the screen [by] utilizing features included in the Nintendo Switch systems by default, such as auto-brightness function to prevent the screen from getting too bright, and the auto-sleep function to go into 'auto sleep' mode after short periods of time."

ManaByte

Isn´t burn in on OLED screens a non issue these days? Thought it happened more during its inception but now the technology is more advanced so now it happens very rarely, if ever?

I doubt the Switch has the same tech in its screen that a $1700 TV does.

Isn´t burn in on OLED screens a non issue these days? Thought it happened more during its inception but now the technology is more advanced so now it happens very rarely, if ever?

It's still a thing and information tv channels are real oled killers but it shoudn't be issue for gaming/movie watching where you have a lot of moving picture.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Oled screens have burn in problems by their very nature.

But only usually only for morons who don't know how to take care of their devices.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Every Vita screen I've seen has had awful burn-in which is why I've never cared for OLEDs.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
My vita is like 10 years old and still gets played to this day, Zero burn in. I wouldn't worry about it.

Every Vita screen I've seen as had awful burn-in which is why I've never cared for OLEDs.

Spongebob Squarepants GIF by swerk

Fake

Did anyone have an issue on Vita? I know I didn't and I've used my Vita a ton.

Vary between quality build. IDK if Nintendo have a good history of quality material.

I remember most of the top end LG TVs don't suffer from this problem even if you forced from those TV test sites.

I barely used my Vitas and both have some slight burn in. Think I will sit the oled switch out unless on a really good sale or something.

Lucky8BB

Banned
My ancient samsung S3 OLED's still has no issues even after so many years, however my current phone S8 has whole screen burned in. I'm guessing image retention on oled screens has something to do with brightness, because my S3 OLED wasnt nearly as bright compared to S8. Of course my S8 is already old, while technology moves forward, so maybe current OLEDs are better in this regard.

Lucky8BB

Banned
Burn in isn't an issue anymore unless you're deliberately abusing the screen.
On plasma TV all I had to do is switch channels (content) from time to time and I had no problems with screen burn in. On OLED screen however image retention is almost like accumulating, so even if you care about your screen and visit certain sites just briefly, you can still get screen burn in. For example I was using my my mail app for only around 2-5 minutes a day, but it was enough to burn in my screen after extended period of time.

Zannegan

I had no idea some Vitas experienced burn-in. I mean, I knew it was a possibility, but unless you were watching a news channel or something, I just assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm starting to see why Valve didn't spring for an OLED on Steam Deck. Some major PC genres have very static HUD elements.

On the bright side, we have, what, a five year wait for micro-LED to become mainstream? Five more years and we might see a micro-LED Switch 3.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Nope.

Burn-in is inherent to the technology. There's no tech advances it can achieve where that would be significantly mitigated, and certainly no such advances in material technology nor the LEDs used has been made. Also, they're using RGB oled from Samsung, so compared to TVs (which all use WOLED from LG) they'll burn-in even quicker.

The sad truth about this OLED model is that if you use it fully - it'll burn-in within a year or two; if you don't, then the picture quality advantage fades because its biggest boon is its higher brightness. Its per-pixel illumination is a great advantage... for HDR, but this isn't a HDR display, and for contrast... in a dark room devoid of any ambient light, but this is a handheld that's gonna see use mostly in well-lit areas (be it sun or artificial) so the contrast advantage disappears too (due to how human vision works). Then you also account for the reduced resolution sharpness (due to it being pentile OLED) and it makes the whole upgrade seem very questionable.

Except... this allows Nintendo higher margins on the product (esp. as costs keep falling for mobile oled displays) and has built-in planned obsolescence so people get whatever the Switch successor is. Win-win... for Nintendo.

Salmon

My vita oled is still fine. My old LG oled not so much. But that was a 2018 model.
I don't really get how people get burn-ins on their TVs. I've had 2 Panasonic Plasmas, 1 Pioneer Kuro plasma, 1 2018 C8 OLED and soon a LG G1 77" OLED. Never had a problem with any of these. Did you run it on a wrong picture setting like "standard", "game", "sport" or " vivid"?

Paulistano

My friends and I had burn in on the vita, when the screen was black we could see a faint tainted green in the screen.

I would stay away from oled if gaming.

Top Bottom